As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

That's not a knife! THIS is a [Help Me Buy a Knife]

UnknownSaintUnknownSaint KasynRegistered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm looking to get a knife as a gift for a friend of mine. Whee.

-Motherfucker uses a knife for just about everything, especially work related. (Mostly working with cars.)
-Heavy duty and some maybe extra utility besides just being a knife would be nice. (Though I'm not looking for some swiss army nonsense.)
-$50 range?

Thanks!

UnknownSaint on

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm looking to get a knife as a gift for a friend of mine. Whee.

-Motherfucker uses a knife for just about everything, especially work related. (Mostly working with cars.)
    -Heavy duty and some maybe extra utility besides just being a knife would be nice. (Though I'm not looking for some swiss army nonsense.)
    -$50 range?

Thanks!

SOG makes some knives in that price range... I don't think you'll be able to get a good multi-tool for that price, but you could try finding a leatherman.

dispatch.o on
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    CKRT and Cold Steel make some good folding knives that will last a long time. As far as a multi-tool goes for that price range a Leatherman or possible a generic version if available...maybe Target or Sports Authority.

Psychotic One on
  • supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    For $50 CRKT is about the best you’re going to get. But honestly, if your friend really does use a knife that much, maybe a $50 knife isn’t such a great gift—he probably has better ones that cost more already.

supabeast on
  • ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    they make automotive-specific multitools/leathermans. i remember seeing one that even had a sparkplug gapper and a tire pressure gauge on it, though iirc it was a bit out of your specified price range.

now as far as a KNIFE knife goes, you can't go wrong with a plain jane buck or bowie hunting knife.

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Check your local laws, btw. Some places have ridiculous legislation on the books about blade length, serration, etc.

TL DR on
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »

:^:

I've been using a CRKT knife for all my knifely needs for years. However, some of em are pretty big, so you need to keep that in mind when picking one. I quit carrying mine around because of its size (~4"); I was afraid I'd be in a bar or concert or something and get accused of having a weapon.

Duffel on
  • UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    supabeast wrote: »
    For $50 CRKT is about the best you’re going to get. But honestly, if your friend really does use a knife that much, maybe a $50 knife isn’t such a great gift—he probably has better ones that cost more already.

He has so many knives though and loves em all, he'd be ecstatic to get anything new that's quality.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

UnknownSaint on
  • mellestadmellestad Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I second Cold Steel and CRKT. There are better knives, but not in that price range. I own quite a few from both companies. I am carrying a Mini My Tighe in my pocket right now, from CRKT and I love it. It is very tough, and has an assisted opening feature that you would swear should be illegal...but it isn't.

Let us know what you pick out!

mellestad on
  • limester816limester816 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I love my SOG Twitch XL.

limester816 on
  • RetoxRetox Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'll just chime in and agree with everyone else, CRKT makes great knives, especially work knives. I have 7 or 8 and they're all awesome.

Retox on
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    http://www.crkt.com/fulcrum.html

This is the CRKT that I personally own. Love the knife and the way to open the blade is pretty unique. Plus a cursory glance on ebay shows its right at your price range. I love the knife and its what I carry with me everywhere.

Psychotic One on
  • losabiolosabio Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    50USD can get you knives like the SOG Aegis or Spyderco Tenacious. Any knife guy would love to own either one of these knives. If you're saying that your friend uses a knife for everything, you might also want to consider something like a Victorinox Soldier, which is a Swiss Army Knife (SAK), but a thin one with Aluminum handle scales and only two layers of tools. The Aluminum SAKs have beefier tools/blades, and are great for when you just want to carry one thing, as opposed to a knife and multitool. I realize that you were trying to avoid SAKs, but honestly if someone's just going to be prying with a knife or using it as a screwdriver, I'd probably figure out some other gift to give that person.

Finally, on the multitool (MT) front I'd look at one of the Leatherman Juice or Leatherman Squirt tools. They're mid size and tiny, respectively, and are easy to carry. This is paramount. Small and light knives and MTs are more likely to be carried, and thus will more likely be at hand when a need arises.

Good luck, you're gonna make your buddy's day! Let us know what you end up with, and how he likes it.

losabio on
  • GlocjtGlocjt catstronaut in spaaace.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I personally use a Keshaw Junkyard Dog II as my everyday carry. I'm quite satisfied with it, and you can definitely find it for ~$50 online.

Edit: A buddy of mine had a SOG Trident for a while, until it was unfortunately lost - I rather liked it, too.

Glocjt on
  • cogellcogell Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Spyderco makes great knives. Tenacious can be had for about $30, and the Endura/Delica line can be had for anywhere from $35-$50

Then there's Benchmade. The BM Griptillian/Mini Grip are both great work knives. The mini grip can be had for about $50, and the larger Griptillian will run about $60 (basing prices off gpknives.com. Ebay's a good place to look, as well as the exchange section on bladeforums.com)

The CRKT knives I've used have all ended up dying on me, so I personally won't recommend it, but I use my knives much more intensively than most people. YMMV

cogell on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Not sure if this qualifies as "Swiss Army nonsense," but I'm a HUGE fan of Gerber knives. Extremely versatile without being cheesy. Check it:

http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/products/tools

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • losabiolosabio Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    cogell wrote: »
    The BM Griptillian/Mini Grip are both great work knives. The mini grip can be had for about $50, and the larger Griptillian will run about $60 (basing prices off gpknives.com. Ebay's a good place to look, as well as the exchange section on bladeforums.com)

Griptilians really are tremendous knives. If you can bump the 50USD limit up just a tad to include the Griptilian, you'll be able to pick up a sweet knife. The plain edge mini Griptilian is a great, great knife to carry every day. The Spydie Delica is super awesome as well, I'm embarrassed that I omitted it on my post!

losabio on
  • EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sounds like a quality knife sharpening kit would be better.

EskimoDave on