As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

420 smoke [DOODLE] erryday

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeaaah. Don't worry, i'm not a fan of it either, and I feel dirty, in the bad way. D: It just amazes me sometimes how god damned easy it is to pull off. Thanks for the concern.

Oh, and Cybermonkey, the spit flying out of the babies mouth creeps me out harsh.

Edit:

Done quickly to make myself feel less grimy.

wendi.png

Kochikens on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Shiboe wrote: »
    WCK:
    I really like the setup you have going there, nice composition to me at least. Your lines and such still seem really rough and haphazard though. Too many tiny unsure strokes. Also, I really have no clue as to what's going on (I stopped at ocarina of time) but maybe link should be looking up at what I assume to be the boss? maybe in a bit more of an action pose too. Anyways, good luck!

Thanks champ. this rough was just for me to see if my initial sketch was working, with colour i mean. the image is very confusing i admit, but im planning on doing a detailed pencil sketch this afternoon. If that's successful, i'll continue towards trying it with paints.

BTW, for anyone who hasnt seen her work, heres a link to some hi-res images. Its freaking nuts!

http://castlevania.armster.org/scans_artbook.php

Also, btw Kochikens

im not sure how long that second last pic took you, and i understand its just a doodle, but i think her head it too far forward, and her back is a little too straight. I did a little paintover to show what i mean.

I think if you pull the head back, it brings things into proportion a little bit more.
    11wexzd.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Shiboe wrote: »
    WCK:
    I really like the setup you have going there, nice composition to me at least. Your lines and such still seem really rough and haphazard though. Too many tiny unsure strokes. Also, I really have no clue as to what's going on (I stopped at ocarina of time) but maybe link should be looking up at what I assume to be the boss? maybe in a bit more of an action pose too. Anyways, good luck!

Thanks champ. this rough was just for me to see if my initial sketch was working, with colour i mean. the image is very confusing i admit, but im planning on doing a detailed pencil sketch this afternoon. If that's successful, i'll continue towards trying it with paints.

BTW, for anyone who hasnt seen her work, heres a link to some hi-res images. Its freaking nuts!

http://castlevania.armster.org/scans_artbook.php

lately she has been goin way too overboard in drawing effeminate men - or women with no boobz as they litterally seem to be

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    speed doodle of rihanna
    rihanna.jpg

prob about 30-40 mins?
    it was mostly just me scribbling

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    it may be just scribbling, but you've captured her likeness very well.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    thanks duder :)
    i spent the most time on the face
    the body was just like "bloop bloop" that's the noise i made

10 minutes on a red panda:
    redpanda.jpg

beavotron on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thanks WCK, yeah, was just a doodle. I sees what you mean tho. Will keep it in mind for the future, hurm.

D'aaaaw red panda. My favourite animal. :3

Kochikens on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    hate rihanna so much

mully on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Beavs wrote:
    10 minutes on a red panda:

Jesus, 10 minutes, I need to start working harder.
    Mully wrote:
    hate rihanna so much

So does Chris Brown, allegedly.

Mustang on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mully you forgot the bruises and bite marks

RubberAC on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    oh man oh man oh man

I love that red panda so much

this much

Tam on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    aaaaaaw little pander

NightDragon on
  • Options
    PiousPious Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    doodle doodle doodle
    whtsues.jpg

I neeeed to slow down...but I can't. When I slow down, I actually think....It hurts..so much.

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Cyber your colours are unbelievable. Well I mean they ARE believable, but I simply cannot believe them!

Valentine Candy Wizard
    Valentinewarrior_by_prohass.jpg

Logo test
    VastHorde_by_prohass.jpg

Prohass on
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Only think with the Rhianna pic, beav, is that I think her hand's a bit small; mine spans from chin to the middle of my forehead, and it's kind of on the small side.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    screwed around for about 30 min with some of painter's pens

EgregoreConcept32e.jpg

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Stop. Trying. To. Be. Yoji. Shinkawa.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    um, i honestly wasn't trying to be anyone...:/

although granted it does sorta look like his stuff, its not like he's got copyright on exo armor

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    i thought metal gear when i saw it. but that just makes it even more badass.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    XALXAL Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Stop. Trying. To. Be. Yoji. Shinkawa.

Myk's stuff kind of reminds me of Yoji Shinkawa because of the messy pen/searching lines, which sort of looks Yoji's stuff - but when you actually look at his (YS) work it's super clean and all of the marks are in ink and very deliberate because he has a great understanding of anatomy. I think the resemblance to YS is more because of his choice of subjects than style, though Myk's style is undeniably informed by YS's work (perhaps unintentionally - if Metal Gear Solid and Yoji Shinkawa didn't exist I think Myk's stuff would look very different. or not. who am i to say...).

I'm not one to tell someone how to do their work, but if I were to give any advice to you Myk - it would be to stray away from ninja/exosuit/commando stuff and Andrew Jones-esque brush use. That kid you did a little while ago was great (though I wasn't a fan of all of the AJ-type brushes you threw on top of it). But if that stuff is what you want to do and is what feels right, I'm not going to stop you - though if you want to get any kind of professional work in the future it's critical that you can show a potential employer that you can do more than one thing (ie: many different kinds of characters, landscapes, costumes, scenes, etc etc).

XAL on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I just look at it and the first thing I see is the lovechild of Gray Fox and a Z.O.E. orbital frame.

In an inking style that in my opinion is distinctively Shinkawa-esque.

And I think it's fair to say you have a record of a propensity for imitation of your artistic heroes.

So you can understand my feeling obligated to say something hopefully.

Just trying to keep you honest. If you didn't even realize how close you are skirting to fanart here then that's almost worse.

Maybe I'm just a raving loon.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Sketch i was working on today. Just trying to get the composition right...

fxcxgx.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Finished sketch. The clock will be silhouette, so i didnt put an detail into it :) im quite pleased with how it turned out. Just for the fact that i actually put in the effort of finishing a sketch before jumping into painting! :)

4lg8zk.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    SodanSodan Registered User new member
    edited February 2009
    Link looks good, even though he has got a MJ Nose.
    But the Woman, and that Face-Thing behind her make the picture a bit overcrowded

Sodan on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Scosglen wrote: »
    I just look at it and the first thing I see is the lovechild of Gray Fox and a Z.O.E. orbital frame.

In an inking style that in my opinion is distinctively Shinkawa-esque.

And I think it's fair to say you have a record of a propensity for imitation of your artistic heroes.

So you can understand my feeling obligated to say something hopefully.

Just trying to keep you honest. If you didn't even realize how close you are skirting to fanart here then that's almost worse.

Maybe I'm just a raving loon.

oh no doubt, especially starting out digitally the way I learned to render was by emulating other artist, which sucks because after a while you do start to imitate them without even realizing it

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mykonos, are you in DC?

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    yup, mclean/ballston area.

btw awsome sketch wck. I would try lowering that statue a bit though so it falls more into that 'sweetspot' area on the canvas

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Mykonos wrote: »

btw awsome sketch wck. I would try lowering that statue a bit though so it falls more into that 'sweetspot' area on the canvas

Oh, ok. I live in Alexandria and work in Reston.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »

Oh, ok. I live in Alexandria and work in Reston.

wow were neighbors! North VA represent!

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Sodan wrote: »
    Link looks good, even though he has got a MJ Nose.
    But the Woman, and that Face-Thing behind her make the picture a bit overcrowded

The purpose of this is to be really complicated. Maybe it's a little too complicated...? I'll try messing around with scales etc. in photoshop.
    wow! 3 out of your 4 (only) posts are aimed directly at me! i remembered your name because of your smart-arse comment about how i use 0.5 inch lines on everything:)

Will do. it does look a little odd.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    How is the magical stuffs reading? Does it look more like she's summoning him now?

This was just a quick addition...I think I may make it a bit more subtle. I also hate his crotch-area. Etc etc WIP

JungleLakeWIP2.jpg

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    This is beautifully done as always ND, but I'm really not digging the composition on it. Your sorcerer woman person just seems to blend into the background. It took me a few seconds to realise she was even there.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    This is beautifully done as always ND, but I'm really not digging the composition on it. Your sorcerer woman person just seems to blend into the background. It took me a few seconds to realise she was even there.

Ragh, people made that comment before, I thought I made her pop out a bit more. Guess I need to push it further.

Is the composition thing a separate issue, or were you referring to the woman?

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    You could pop her out a bit more but I'm thinking her placement is more the issue. Perhaps moving her closer to the water in front of the rock would make her more of a standout, though you might have to reconsider the pose.....depends how much you want to invest in this or maybe just move on.

Mustang on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The magical lines work well because even if the human figure isn't popping out of the picture the lines from the monster lead you to her anyway. I think it works.

My only suggestion would be to make the magical mist less noticeable. Maybe make it more transparent or make the line thin out and disappear even more as in goes towards the beasts eyes.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    that swamp drawing is fantastic. If you move her towards the water more will you get more 'yellow' light coming from the top of the canopy dripping on her so you can brighten her up a little then? The reason she doesn't stick out so much is she has the green sort of look to her so she blends in. a bit of yellow from the light above might make it stick out a bit more but she will have to be moved towards the water I think.

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    jesus nd
    real nice

couple more timed speed paints

20 min:
    field.jpg

and 10 mins:
    redpanda2.jpg

beavotron on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    nawww. I need to do more speedpaints my familiarity with brushes is awful.

Having to rush this as the day is approaching:

blahvalent_by_prohass.jpg

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    fooled around with this experimental piece of sorts for a few minutes today...hopefullly seeing what I can try to do differentiate it from YS. Unfortunately its starting to turn out even more of a cheap imitation than before. Think I'll just quit while i'm ahead...
    EgregoreConcept32ecopy-1.jpg

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Myk, just an off-hand suggestion...

trying do a sketch of a baseball player.

NotASenator on
This discussion has been closed.