As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chrono Trigger] The black wind howls...

• Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    Fucking A. I may just end up keeping this game from Gamefly... $31 isn't bad for this game, and it's been amazing so far.

I'm loving the monster battles.

Wait... what?

Is this your first playthrough Honky?

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fucking A. I may just end up keeping this game from Gamefly... $31 isn't bad for this game, and it's been amazing so far.

Keep it!

slash000 on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    2nd the Keep it! Hell, I'd pay $50 for it easily.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    jack eddy wrote: »

Wait... what?

Is this your first playthrough Honky?

Yeah, very first. :P I'm a virgin Chrono Trigger player. I never got a chance to play it while it was out, and wasn't willing to pay the ridiculous prices on ebay for the game.

e: And it's kept. :P Bah, damn you guys! GF was supposed to save me money!

urahonky on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm working on Lost Sanctum now. I am pretty sure I should have done it before all of the other sidequests because I am dishing out 2700 damage on a crit from Crono which is wayyyyyyy more than enough to kill anything I am encountering. I am just breaking level 50. Crono might be at 52 and the lowest level is 48 or 49 maybe. I've learned all the techs too and have some of the top weapons. Rainbow, Masamune v2 and Wondershot. I don't use Magus or Marle much so I am not too worried about getting their weapons soon but I would like Robo's

I think I'll be ready for the Black Omen after I'm done with Lost Sanctum.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Chrono Trigger is a really easy game.

You can make it harder by picking a squisher, no group heal party, playing on active, and running alot.

No amount of that besides going for pure low level makes it that hard for me. I know all the tricks too well! Getting the Golems to cast certain spells, only doing damage to Magus/Giga Gaia at certain times...

This is the price we pay for Square making such a replayable, beatable by all game.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm glad it's the difficulty that it is. As such it doesn't really require grinding.

I've watched a few bits of a speed run, though. It's pretty entertaining, watching the player skip every skippable enemy and take on bosses with low levels.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So... Uh....
    Fought Lavos under water... He creamed me. Then I had Crono run towards Lavos, and, of course, died. I assume this is part of the story right? Because I've been doing a bunch of the side quests with Frog as the party leader, and I'm about to get everyone to level 45ish here shortly.

urahonky on
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So... Uh....
    Fought Lavos under water... He creamed me. Then I had Crono run towards Lavos, and, of course, died. I assume this is part of the story right? Because I've been doing a bunch of the side quests with Frog as the party leader, and I'm about to get everyone to level 45ish here shortly.

Nope you failed the game and have to start over.
    Go to the end of time. You'll find out how to get him back from there. Also, you'll need to participate in the game in the millennial fair where you have to mimic that puppet's movements. It's in that tent on the top right on the first screen.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I found the difficulty level to be perfect. Sure, I died a few times, but it was never frustrating and it was always because I was using the wrong strategy, rather than being under-leveled. As others have said, you can make the game harder if you want to by simply not fighting enemies unless you have to.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So... Uh....

Go to the end of time. You'll find out how to get him back from there. Also, you'll need to participate in the game in the millennial fair where you have to mimic that puppet's movements. It's in that tent on the top right on the first screen.
    I got the Chrono Trigger, but what do I do with it? Since that guy is the Time guru or whatever, I thought that's who I had to find. :P

Also Mother Brain was a bitch for me, until I realized that
    she progressively got harder as the fight went on, so in the beginning you have to deal out as much damage as possible.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So... Uh....

I got the Chrono Trigger, but what do I do with it? Since that guy is the Time guru or whatever, I thought that's who I had to find. :P

she progressively got harder as the fight went on, so in the beginning you have to deal out as much damage as possible.
    You need the clone that you win from the fairground game and you need the chrono trigger. Then go to Balthasar's dome right next to death peak. His nu should send out little poyozo dolls to death peak which turn into trees. Go to death peak and hide behind those trees at the beginning to avoid the wind. Then just make your way to the top.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ahh I was wondering why the hell I would want that doll from the Fair. :P Thanks Nick.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So... Uh....

Mother Brain ain't too bad if
    you can leave a screen up and just continue to use really powerful techs. If you destroy all of the screens she does an attack that increases in power each time she uses it (which is often) and will quickly kill you in one hit. Confusion is the only thing that screws it all up. You'll attack a screen under confusion and cause her to use that one attack.

I would, however, recommend doing that sidequest after some of the others.

I really like that the game was never too hard. Right now it is a bit too easy but only because I am doing Lost Sanctum after doing all of the other sidequests which has me ridiculously overleveled.

I only ever grinded in one spot, before Giga Gaia, and only for 30 minutes or so. I came back to the fight much stronger than I expected to be, making that fight cake.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    SirToasty wrote: »
    So... Uh....

Mother Brain ain't too bad if
    you can leave a screen up and just continue to use really powerful techs. If you destroy all of the screens she does an attack that increases in power each time she uses it (which is often) and will quickly kill you in one hit. Confusion is the only thing that screws it all up. You'll attack a screen under confusion and cause her to use that one attack.

I would, however, recommend doing that sidequest after some of the others.

I really like that the game was never too hard. Right now it is a bit too easy but only because I am doing Lost Sanctum after doing all of the other sidequests which has me ridiculously overleveled.

I only ever grinded in one spot, before Giga Gaia, and only for 30 minutes or so. I came back to the fight much stronger than I expected to be, making that fight cake.

Yeah, I did
    Mother Brain/Geno Dome as the last sidequest. Mother Brain took a few times. What did was kill the outer two screens and left the top. Don't worry about the fact that the top screen heals--it doesn't heal her fast enough. Just remember to only use attacks that kit one target, otherwise you might kill the top screen and then she'll go bonkers...

I found with most of the bosses that it's not how powerful you are, but how you fight them. Usually if the boss has multiple targets, if you kill all the small ones the boss will rage and you will die...

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Just hit about level 50 last night. I'm loving this game too much.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Bah, is there an easy way to get to your ship? I can't seem to find it anywhere. :(
    I just rez'd Crono... If that helps.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Bah, is there an easy way to get to your ship? I can't seem to find it anywhere. :(

No quick way. But if you go to every age and check your map, i think it appears on your map.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

No quick way. But if you go to every age and check your map, i think it appears on your map.

i thought...
    you could always go to the end of time and hop on

:?:

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    TyrantCow wrote: »

i thought...

I'm pretty sure unless you parked it there, it won't be at the bottom of the steps waiting for you.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    You can park it at the End of Time?

e: SON OF A BITCH YOU CAN!

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

i thought...

I'm pretty sure unless you parked it there, it won't be at the bottom of the steps waiting for you.

No, I think it will always be there for you at the EOT.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    and, that folks is why...

nick is still a newbie

:P

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    No, I think it will always be there for you at the EOT.

I just tried that theory and it's wrong. If you park your ship on land then warp via a gate, it wont follow you to the End of Time excepted for story purpose.

If you lost your ship, press select to bring up the map of the era you're in. Your ship will show as a blinking yellow dot if it is in this era.

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I thought after that part you appear back in the End of Time and the Epoch appears there too. Time Guru says something about it having a mind of its own.

I may be thinking of a different part though.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I thought after that part you appear back in the End of Time and the Epoch appears there too. Time Guru says something about it having a mind of its own.

That's exactly what he said, but I didn't realize that I could port to the end of time. :P So I had no idea how to get it.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

That's the only time it does it.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Man, how can anyone lose Epoch? I mean it's only the best thing ever and it can do EVERYTHING.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm going to assume that I shouldn't be going into the teleport thinger marked 1999?

Rizzi on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Rizzi wrote: »
    I'm going to assume that I shouldn't be going into the teleport thinger marked 1999?

Not unless you are ready to beat the game.

Which, if you're asking, you're probably not.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    and, that folks is why...

nick is still a newbie

:P

Boo yah. Told you it didn't automatically go there.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ampix wrote: »
    Man, how can anyone lose Epoch? I mean it's only the best thing ever and it can do EVERYTHING.

It's in the spoiler and I didn't know you could park it! Jeeze get up off my back! :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So last night I'm playing on the New Game+, attempting to get the ending
    you get by defeating Lavos right after returning from 600AD the first time. And I got owned. Bad. He (it?) did some sort of attack in his final form that I had never seen that took all of Marle's HP, and I never could revive her. In retrospect I should have forgotten her and just solo'ed it with Crono.

What's frustrating to me is that I beat him with just Marle and Crono without a hitch right after I started the New Game+

However...The "bad" ending is pretty cool. What other games have had a proper ending (and not just "Game Over" if you lose? I guess maybe Majora's Mask, if you let the moon crash...

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    HexocetHexocet Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    you get by defeating Lavos right after returning from 600AD the first time. And I got owned. Bad. He (it?) did some sort of attack in his final form that I had never seen that took all of Marle's HP, and I never could revive her. In retrospect I should have forgotten her and just solo'ed it with Crono.

What's frustrating to me is that I beat him with just Marle and Crono without a hitch right after I started the New Game+

However...The "bad" ending is pretty cool. What other games have had a proper ending (and not just "Game Over" if you lose? I guess maybe Majora's Mask, if you let the moon crash...

You're looking for a list of 'Nonstandard Game Overs'?

Hexocet on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Hexocet wrote: »

You're looking for a list of 'Nonstandard Game Overs'?

Hey, that was pretty cool. Thanks for the link.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Man I gotta say. The end game on this is looking pretty good.

Its too bad they couldnt have sprinkeled more of these "side quests" throughout the game.

I guess Im starting to see what everyone likes about CT.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So I'm pretty sure I'm down to almost nothing left to do for end game. Spoiled below:
    The last thing I remember needing was the hammer, wood, and other object one of the Reptites needed to make a bridge. I got him all the stuff and gave it to him, in which he left for somewhere. Where'd he go? I went to the top of the mountain but there's the sleeping Blue Guy (no idea what they are) and he wont move. Did I miss over something?

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Man I gotta say. The end game on this is looking pretty good.

Its too bad they couldnt have sprinkeled more of these "side quests" throughout the game.

I guess Im starting to see what everyone likes about CT.

I'm actually glad they didn't put sidequests in the other parts of the game. Kept it much more focused and linear. Then you get to the end and you have a choice of either doing the sidequests or just beating the game. If they had sidequests throughout the game, it might have messed with the pacing and made the game feel off.

urahonky: you must be doing the new DS version sidequests, because I have no clue what you are talking about...

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Also, that flying fortress... Is that a point of no return?

urahonky on
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Omen? No, but it's a pain in the ass to get out of if you're in far enough. The rooms of the Omen reset as soon as you leave them, so to get OUT of the Omen requires fighting all the monsters (except bosses) that you fought to get IN. There's an emergency exit if you need it, though- deep in the fortress, there's a pair of Nu. One sells items, the other can launch you out of the fortress if you require it.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?