As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

420 smoke [DOODLE] erryday

• winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Started blocking in the picture on canvas. Blocking it all in with watercolour as a greyscale, then im going to apply layers of acrylic on top. I think this method might actually work well.

Progress so far...

29b28fl.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    wait, before you go any futher, see if you can lower everything from the nose up to the brow till the eyebrows are about lvled with the ears (human ears). Interesting approach btw with the water colors

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
    edited February 2009
    ah yeah., i see it now. Maybe his chin is a bit long too (?). Ill refine it some more.

BTW thanks for the spot!

winter_combat_knight on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    How is the magical stuffs reading? Does it look more like she's summoning him now?

This was just a quick addition...I think I may make it a bit more subtle. I also hate his crotch-area. Etc etc WIP

JungleLakeWIP2.jpg

ND, I really think you should just repaint the figure. I think you should put her more towards the foreground and closer to the edge of the water where the image is brighter, and paint her with a strong dark silhouette. This will make her pop, and will also give you a chance to maybe rethink the gesture into something more suggestive of summoning. The relationship between the two just still seems too ambiguous.

Scosglen on
    edited February 2009
    Hey guys and dolls!

Just an update. I did a colour rough in photoshop, so that i at least know kinda which direction im going in

jgir5s.jpg

and i also started blocking in the main colours with VERY diluted acrylics. Here it is. Oh and Myk, i havnt forgotten your good spotting. i'll fix his face tomorrow :)

15gw58k.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • exitexit Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    a 3CH thing
    A bienvaillant sentinel crosses an insect in a cave.
    rowbotsn9.jpg

exit on
  • PiousPious Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    How is the magical stuffs reading? Does it look more like she's summoning him now?

This was just a quick addition...I think I may make it a bit more subtle. I also hate his crotch-area. Etc etc WIP

JungleLakeWIP2.jpg

okay, I know i'm probably the dumbest person here on the AC, and shouldn't be critiquing. But you do know that there is a heart in your background right? I'm sure you do, your a bagillion times better than me. I just wanted to point it out in case you didn't notice. It looks great, but if your trying to tell a story with this piece, I don't know what's the point of the heart shape in the trees.

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Pious wrote: »

JungleLakeWIP2.jpg

okay, I know i'm probably the dumbest person here on the AC, and shouldn't be critiquing. But you do know that there is a heart in your background right? I'm sure you do, your a bagillion times better than me. I just wanted to point it out in case you didn't notice. It looks great, but if your trying to tell a story with this piece, I don't know what's the point of the heart shape in the trees.

oh neat!
    i didn't notice that.

i think people assume that artists have some deeper meanings scattered throughout their drawings, but not all of us do.
    when i draw, circus music plays in my head
    i really don't think of anything deep or meaningful
    at most i'm thinking "which of these two colors works better? i'm kind of hungry... i should go get burger king. i don't like the way this line looks. i have to pee but the bathroom's way over there"

if some deeper meaning emerges for someone, that's awesome... i uh... i totally intended it, hurr hurr.

beavotron on
  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    beavotron wrote: »
    when i draw, circus music plays in my head

This had me laughing so hard my side aches.
    So much so that I had to listen to some circus music so that I, too, could draw like beavo.
    I even found a free mp3: http://wurlitzer-rolls.com/6526-9.mp3

I've been trying to sketch out a long form comic lately. The hope is that a talented inker can put a better face on my pencils. I had a challenging frame the other day that took a few tries, check it out:
    PRE-LLS-bk01-pg010_panel2.jpg

Always nice to see your work evolve from "contortionist firing spaghetti-and-meatball shotgun" to "Mr. Shotgun Finga" to what I was going for.

Next time, I'll try it with the circus music. That makes me smile just thinking about it.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This one is about done I think. I don't know, I never finish anything anymore.
    pic90.jpg

wakkawa on
  • JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well I'm not sleeping tonight.

JRosey on
  • HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I may have just been blinded by awesome.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Hahaha, holy crap, no, I didn't notice that. Bizarre, too, because it's almost a prefect heart-shape!

There should be no hearts in this piece!! Thank you very much for pointing that out, I never would've noticed.

Off to change it!

NightDragon on
  • crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Let's try this again, without the awkward buildup...

valentine.gif

crawdaddio on
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Not my usual sort of thing. but I drew this today for the daily sketch group on ca.org. I like it well enough I suppose - nothing too fancy about it.

fallenangel.jpg

Sublimus on
  • JEHJEH Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    O_O

Is that what happens when an Angel gets an STD from sleeping with the Devil?

I likes it.

JEH on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    wakkawa wrote: »
    I don't know, I never finish anything anymore.
    Yeah, well, that's okay, as for you "unfinished" is "finished" for 99% of other people.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
    edited February 2009
    I went back to a WIP that I gave up on a couple years ago (I knew I kept those old PSDs around for a reason). It was way too overwhelming for me to handle it properly at the time, I thought I would give it another shot now, for shits and grins.

Original
    winterbattlexp2.jpg

About 45 minutes into the paintover.
    winterbattleREV.jpg

Scosglen on
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Scos. the drawing and painting aspects of it are much improved. (Specifically I think the lone soldiers body language and pose are more appropriate.)

But I dont think the mood is quite there. It's lacking the drama (sorry, that's the only way i can think to phrase it). I think you might be cropped in too close. If you pull the camera out, i think you would get a better sense of scale.

Sublimus on
    edited February 2009
    Composition is definitely not among my strong suites, so I'm definitely open to discussion here.

I actually did pull the view out a bit and to the left so I could show more of the creature already. I could be wrong but removing the view further seems to me like it would make things less dramatic. I tried to strike a compromise between hinting at the greater battle while staying close enough to keep the tension between the knight and dragon at the focus.

I am planning on adding in more soldiers again (and corpses), and wounds on the dragon to help flesh out the narrative, but I don't know how much that will help if you think the image fundamentally lacks drama.

Scosglen on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    You lost some of the motion in the creature, I think, the slight head tilt up the more dramatic mouth. That's my opinion though.

"sketches" for some long term classwork I'm doing:
    Party4_by_IrukaTheSlayer.jpg
    Party2_by_IrukaTheSlayer.jpg
    Party1_by_IrukaTheSlayer.jpg
    Party3_by_IrukaTheSlayer.jpg

Iruka on
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Whoa.. Those are really sweet, Iruka. Especially the second and third one! Glorious colors and mood.

TheBog on
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wow! Top shelf Iruka! Top Shelf!

PROX on
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Scosglen wrote: »
    I
    About 45 minutes into the paintover.
    winterbattleREV.jpg

That man is standing in a very bad spot. He must be really stupid. Also why do everyone's dragon-ish monsters here have that whole skin-mouth-flap thing? It seems pointless to me.

RubberAC on
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My dragons never do.

TheBog on
  • PiousPious Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Hahaha, holy crap, no, I didn't notice that. Bizarre, too, because it's almost a prefect heart-shape!

There should be no hearts in this piece!! Thank you very much for pointing that out, I never would've noticed.

Off to change it!

Well, since I actually said something right for a change. If I wanted to make it look like she was summoning a monster, I would make some kind of symbol thing below her feet or behind her head, and have the same symbol on the monsters head or chest. To show that they are connected, without strings. Wireless if you will.

But thats just my opinion.

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    RubberAC wrote: »
    Also why do everyone's dragon-ish monsters here have that whole skin-mouth-flap thing? It seems pointless to me.
    otherwise their jaws might fall off?

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    why do everyone's dragon-ish monsters here have that whole skin-mouth-flap thing? It seems pointless to me.

snakes often have a skin thing, so that (I'm assuming) their jaws will come back together after they unhinge them to eat. I think its just a reoccurring feature in lizards and so its commonly borrowed. Serves more purpose on a longer jaw line, I think.

Iruka on
  • RandomActionRandomAction Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    o_O OMG, damn i'm ugly

Quick and dirty self portrait
    randomvh8.gif

RandomAction on
    [SIGPIC]http://random2action.com[/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2009
    Done only using acrylics via corel painter. wanted to stick with emulating traditional tools vice using any digital tricks in ps. Took a lil over 2 hours, used a mirror and four cigarettes as reference.

portrait.jpg

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
    edited February 2009
    That man is standing in a very bad spot. He must be really stupid. Also why do everyone's dragon-ish monsters here have that whole skin-mouth-flap thing? It seems pointless to me.

Dragons are based on dinosaurs, and dinosaur reconstructions are frequently depicted with this mouth membrane thing. If I were drawing a more bird-like dragon with a more beak-y mouth I'd probably forego it.

Also, in terms of practicality, it gives me an opportunity to paint a little subsurface light scattering/transparency, and draw the eye towards the action with the splash of red.

Scosglen on
  • RandomActionRandomAction Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My Accounting Principles II class....
    I Hate Accounting :(
    accountingpigsac9.gif

RandomAction on
    [SIGPIC]http://random2action.com[/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2009
    Mykonos wrote: »
    Done only using acrylics via corel painter. wanted to stick with emulating traditional tools vice using any digital tricks in ps. Took a lil over 2 hours, used a mirror and four cigarettes as reference.

[IMG]http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s332/mykonos85_bucket/portrait.jpg [ /IMG][/img]

looking good so far. but i hope you arent smoking those ciggys!

winter_combat_knight on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    Happy Valentine's Day, everybody!

Since I know there's no small number of you that wish they could celebrate Valentine's by being awkwardly groped by me personally, I am more than willing to oblige in a steamy and romantic, yet non-personal and do-it-yourself manner.

Just fill in your name, face, and deep emotional investments in the spaces provided below!

Valentine_2009.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited February 2009
    I guess people are in a self-portraity mood.

About 3 hours from a mirror.
    selfportraitfeb13.jpg

Scosglen on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I am no where near any of you in what I can do in Photoshop, but I think I have clever ideas from time to time.

3278676948_9480fd8ba7_o.png

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    edited February 2009
    Scosglen wrote: »
    About 3 hours from a mirror.
    selfportraitfeb13.jpg

Looks sweet. I'd think it's worth being coloured!

redfield85: 8-)

winter_combat_knight on
    edited February 2009
    update of me paintin.

link3.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • the_monarch23the_monarch23 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    update of me paintin.

Majora's Mask

Sky is lookin' great man.

the_monarch23 on
    "Gott in himmel! Fritz, vee haff named our car after ein lady-garten."
    ~Jeremy Clarkson
    edited February 2009
    i like how the clouds are shaping up in particular

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.