As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

EvE General Discussion

• ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So you peeps be good to talk to about this for advice. Looking for long term ship here and can't decide what to aim for.

I love missles. Nothing beats the big badda boom, but if I need to go for turrets I'm caldari and hybrids work I guess even though I know nothing about blaster and rail gun ranges.

Any who...What would you guys suggest for a long term boat. I'm currently aiming towards the Blackhawk and its cert path would have me ready for assualt and heavy assualt boats also it seems or should I go for a Battleship and aim for the golem?

Trying to plan out certs for long term so when I'm ready to join real fights I'll be able to do more than absorb shots for the goon squad hehe.

Similar to what ArchAngel said, I was going to recommend going for a battleship sniper. For you, a Rokh with hybrids. The difference between blaster and rail is the range at which you do damage. For missions/rats, often you'll pick closer ranges, but fleet fights are usually much longer range. As he said, it depends on what you are doing.

Having said that, if you like the big boom, by all means, go for the rokh with t2 hybrids. The smaller ships do get a lot of action as well. You die a lot, but the ships are very cheap to replace and are a good introduction to fleet warefare until you can fly a battleship that can hit far enough away.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yurgh. I don't really want to get back into this, but then again I do.

I spend most of my time in Linux, and I know they're dropping official Linux support, but I heard that WINE compatability was pretty good. Confirm/deny?

Imperfect on
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Imperfect wrote: »

I spend most of my time in Linux, and I know they're dropping official Linux support, but I heard that WINE compatability was pretty good. Confirm/deny?

I dont know, flying your BC in hostile territory after a few glasses is risky.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sounds like I need to start working on my turret skills then so I can get a dog fighter going then. Thanks for the tips.

Psychotic One on
  • ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    darkmayo wrote: »

I believe one of CCP's cited reasons for dropping Linux support was because their client performed just fine under Wine. I'd have to find that devblog quote, but I'm fairly certain I remember reading that.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • ArandmoorArandmoor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    General question...how the hell do you set up a jump clone?

I've got the skills, but nobody likes me enough to let me stuff a freeze-dried copy of myself into a fridge for future use. Now, being an asshole I'm used to people not liking me, however this is getting in the way of my plans for Galactic conquest through absurdly huge piles of money.

Should I just say "screw it", join a corp, and set up a clone there?

Arandmoor on
    edited February 2009
    ToyD wrote: »

I believe one of CCP's cited reasons for dropping Linux support was because their client performed just fine under Wine. I'd have to find that devblog quote, but I'm fairly certain I remember reading that.

I thought I'd read that too, but I was wondering just how much of that was me desperately wishing it were true.

Also, anyone know when this newbie-friendly expansion is going to drop? Because if it's sort of soon, I wouldn't mind waiting. I'm in the middle of a few things. But if it's going to be forever, well, I can roll on in and start skilling up while I sleep anyhow.

Imperfect on
  • XArchangelXXArchangelX Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Arandmoor wrote: »

I've got the skills, but nobody likes me enough to let me stuff a freeze-dried copy of myself into a fridge for future use. Now, being an asshole I'm used to people not liking me, however this is getting in the way of my plans for Galactic conquest through absurdly huge piles of money.

If you're playing in a corp that doesn't own a station, you have to go get standings.

If you're in a corp that owns a station, there is an option to install a jump clone in the same screen where you update your regular clone. In order to put a JC in a station that would otherwise not allow you to have a JC installed, just install your JC in the Corp's station, then you have to physically fly to the desired station, then JC back to the clone in your corp's station.

XArchangelX on
    Eve Online is a terrible game, but I used to play, for the lulz!
    Steam
    Only the strong can help the weak.
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well, I'm trying to decide how to go with my character---he is pretty close to Caldari BS V so I could go straight to combat ships, or piddle around in a Blackbird while I'm training up my ECM skills (and making money) before I head to a Scorpion.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm thinking of re-activating one or both my characters? Is it interesting times in-game yet? Is Delve whacky fun?

electricitylikesme on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I just read about what happened to BoB.

Holy shit is that hilarious.

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited February 2009
    I'm curious to know how this affected subscriber numbers. Sure, I bet some of BoB quit in disgust. But I ALSO bet that TONS of people re-subbed to take advantage of this.

Imperfect on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't even play EvE and I find shit like this fascinating and makes me want to subscribe.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm curious to know how this affected subscriber numbers. Sure, I bet some of BoB quit in disgust. But I ALSO bet that TONS of people re-subbed to take advantage of this.

server has been busier than normal. Since the move to delve corp numbers have been over 50 people online during US TZ, which is about 15-20 people higher than a couple months ago.

Ethea on
  • TrekkieTrekkie Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Arandmoor wrote: »

Jump cloning is a PITA in empire. You need outrageous standings if you want to install one manually.

The other way, is to go to a station we own that has a med bay in 0.0 and install a jump clone. Then, go back to empire and you can jump clone to your 0.0 clone, and that auto-installs in empire regardless of standing.

Or, to find a capital ship pilot with a jump clone module, install into his module, and then go to empire and JC to his ship.

Trekkie on
    Eve Online: Zareph
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Holy shit this is just the most amazing thing ever

Me Too! on
  • TrekkieTrekkie Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

combined with the alliance tournament they set a new record of like 51,000 concurrent users in the last week. I'm more willing to bet it was teh Delve change that did it than the alliance tourney but :iiam:

I've not seen this many merch on in a long time. we've hit 60 - 70 in corp simultaneously US prime where we used to be 25 - 30.

It's a fun time to be in Merch Industrial + GoonSwarm. Lots of fighting to be had.

Trekkie on
    Eve Online: Zareph
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My buddy's letting me borrow a drake in high-sec to run some missions and make some money

I'm not big on high-sec, but I really need to start making some cash

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
    edited February 2009
    Raslin wrote: »
    My buddy's letting me borrow a drake in high-sec to run some missions and make some money

Then you are really going to the wrong place if you want to make money. Unless you are playing the market.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Then you are really going to the wrong place if you want to make money. Unless you are playing the market.

or scamming.

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
    edited February 2009
    hazywater wrote: »

or scamming.

Making start up money, I suppose I should have said.

I really can't make money right now in a caracal, in delve. Both with ratting being really hard in a caracal, and it being so dangerous. With a borrowed drake in high-sec, I can at least make some money, hopefully enough to buy my own drake and enough for a second should I lose it, and then I can move to more risky ratting.

Raslin on

edited February 2009

or scamming.

I really can't make money right now in a caracal, in delve. Both with ratting being really hard in a caracal, and it being so dangerous. With a borrowed drake in high-sec, I can at least make some money, hopefully enough to buy my own drake and enough for a second should I lose it, and then I can move to more risky ratting.

salvage in delve, just ask someone who is ratting if you can salvage after them. You will make more money from the salvage drops than you will for ratting in hi-sec.

learned that the hard way when I started. Thought I was doing pretty good made a million after ratting for a few days.. then visited Hoshoun whcih was only .4 and made a million in a few hours, then did 0.0 made a million in one kill.

even salvaging you will rake in the cash.. high sec ratting is not for making money.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited February 2009

or scamming.

salvage in delve, just ask someone who is ratting if you can salvage after them. You will make more money from the salvage drops than you will for ratting in hi-sec.

learned that the hard way when I started. Thought I was doing pretty good made a million after ratting for a few days.. then visited Hoshoun whcih was only .4 and made a million in a few hours, then did 0.0 made a million in one kill.

even salvaging you will rake in the cash.. high sec ratting is not for making money.

I tried that back in feyth, it never worked out for me.

Raslin on

• hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    "Not content with losing baby supercaps, Ken undocks their cap fleet."

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • MadtownMadtown Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm thinking of re-activating one or both my characters? Is it interesting times in-game yet? Is Delve whacky fun?

james duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuar get back here man we miss you

Madtown on
    Angelus Damelon - Eve
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Madtown wrote: »

james duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuar get back here man we miss you
    awwwww....

Yeah I'm thinking I might. Possibly today! Probably tomorrow.

electricitylikesme on
    edited February 2009
    Madtown wrote: »

awwwww....

Yeah I'm thinking I might. Possibly today! Probably tomorrow.

that's a shame, we just killed shrikes' titan

(by we, i mean not me because i missed the cap convoys to delve)

Madtown on
    Angelus Damelon - Eve
  • ReaperSMSReaperSMS Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Again?

That's gotta hurt, that make him the first person to lose *2*?

ReaperSMS on
    edited February 2009
    ReaperSMS wrote: »
    Again?

That's gotta hurt, that make him the first person to lose *2*?

he's lost four

Madtown on
    Angelus Damelon - Eve
  • ReaperSMSReaperSMS Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ... clearly I am behind the times, but then, the goon KB only goes back to november

ReaperSMS on
    edited February 2009
    ReaperSMS wrote: »
    ... clearly I am behind the times, but then, the goon KB only goes back to november

bob went up north over the summer/fall and he lost two in like a week towards the end of it

so two to us, two to NC

Madtown on
    Angelus Damelon - Eve
  • runaway_pancakerunaway_pancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So whacky.

My favorite part of this new campaign is how we completely threw caution to the wind and abandoned literally all we have to pursue it. And so far it's paid off spectacularly.

runaway_pancake on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    As someone who's been gone from EVE in a while (1.5 years) and considering hopping back in, are there any major changes gameplay wise that have happened that can be distilled into an easier to understand format than reading past patch notes and getting utterly lost? I recall them just having released the Premium graphics version of the client and having tested it (it was quite fun).

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    In addition to reading the recruit thread http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=78058

Invention was released, meaning you can make T2 blueprint copies, Titans were nerfed, T3 ships are being released in a month or so, vastly improved lag, 1000+ member fights are playable. Sov mechanics still suck (supposedly being addressed soon) but with the recent BoB shenanigans an opportunity to break through presented itself. I think it's still the same fundamental game underneath though, just improved now.

Seeing 70+ merchi in our prime though which is nice

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Resubbing and having to make a 40 jump haul back to empire after one's previous corp has relocated systems is always fun. I could kiss the interdictor pilot whose poor bubble placement allowed me to escape a gatecamp 1 jump from lowsec.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • MegaPureiboiMegaPureiboi Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Juniper Morris here, looking for some noob advice.
    What would you guys recommend me focusing on to be able to help in any way? I've got Propulsion Jamming and Wespon Disruption both to lvl 2. Just got Minmatar Frigate to lvl 2, Caldari is at 4.

Should I go for Cruisers (I've got destroyers), or raise my Electronic Warefare skills or try to be able to do Salvaging?

I missed out on the battle last night, couldn't seem to make the jump with the Titan.

MegaPureiboi on
    Xbox Live: Keml0
    Steam: Kemlo
    edited February 2009
    What would you guys recommend me focusing on to be able to help in any way? I've got Propulsion Jamming and Wespon Disruption both to lvl 2. Just got Minmatar Frigate to lvl 2, Caldari is at 4.

Should I go for Cruisers (I've got destroyers), or raise my Electronic Warefare skills or try to be able to do Salvaging?

I missed out on the battle last night, couldn't seem to make the jump with the Titan.
    Train blackbirds.

runaway_pancake on
    edited February 2009

I'd say go EW first, then Salvage then Cruisers

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • GuyMontagGuyMontag Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm kind of confused about something. I keep hearing about how the goons are moving into Delve, but the influence map shows that Kenneth still has that place locked down. Is any progress being made?

GuyMontag on
    News you can use! (FAILURE TO USE THIS NEWS WILL RESULT IN TERMINATION)
    edited February 2009
    GuyMontag wrote: »
    I'm kind of confused about something. I keep hearing about how the goons are moving into Delve, but the influence map shows that Kenneth still has that place locked down. Is any progress being made?
    Loads of progress. The reason the map hasn't changed is that towers take a week to start claiming sovereignty. Most of ours will start claiming early next week, and that's when you'll see stations start to flip. We and our allies are on track to take about 8 Delve stations as well as some in Kenny's other regions.

runaway_pancake on
This discussion has been closed.