As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mormons are fucking prompt

• EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Tossrock wrote: »
    you can't prove that they are true in the way that you can prove an object accelerates at 9.8 meters per second per second under the influence of Earth's gravity.

That's a bad example.

You can prove that things FALL, but gravity itself, and how it works, is still somewhat theoretical. We know that SOMETHING makes things fall, but exactly what it is open to a bit of debate.

Evander on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mysst wrote: »
    Fandyien wrote: »
    Fire Truck wrote: »
    You know guys this thread really didn't go in the direction I wanted

What were you seriously hoping for?

discussion about food? maybe starship troopers
    EVERYONE FIGHTS

NO ONE QUITS

SERVICE GUARANTEES CITIZENSHIP

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    Dubh wrote: »
    Jigrah wrote: »
    Jigrah wrote: »
    Could our society survive if it was a complete 100% gay couple population?

Yes.

Gay people aren't infertile. They could still conceive children, either through arranged agreements or through artificial means.

But are you suggesting that gay is contagious? That allowing gay marriage means that everyone would become Gay?

If it was 100% gay population the birth rate would be tremendously low. Society would not function, it's possible but just no.

I was using the 100% to show value to society, not that it is contagious but to show they are not the same thing. People like to think they are, but they really are not.

So you use a highly improbably example to prove your point. That makes sense. Here's another one: "What if 100% of the straight population decided they didn't want to have babies?"

What if 100% of the population was sterile.

THAT would be a serious issue.
    children_of_men_poster.jpg

Clint Eastwood on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    do you guys remember that big ass lava bug and he was all GRENADE'D

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Phonehand wrote: »
    Belruel wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Faricazy wrote: »
    Wait, what is this "history" you speak of?
    This country has a rather illustrious history of the majority acting on their ideals, which others recognized as immoral and eventually overturned.

If you're blind to history then I don't know what else to say to you.

It was a joke. I was sarcastically agreeing with the guy who said I don't actually know history because I'm mormon. :|

well, the mormon church does hide and bury it's history, but they can learn normal history just fine.
    Actually, most historical records are held at the church offices in Salt Lake and any Joe Schmo can go and look at them. It's less hiding and more not talking about it. Because really who is going to go to the trouble?

yeah, but why not teach some of the full real history in those 3 hours of church i went to every sunday, and the many hours of youth group, or even in those hours of seminary. when i started studying on my own, my bishop scolded me for it and said it was best to not dig up the past and to just concern myself with having faith in the church leaders

i mean, i really would have loved to have been told about how a prophet is on record at a congressional hearing swearing that he has never received revelation from god, and that he was not chosen by god and that the apostles were also not chosen through revelation, and more. instead they teach the opposite of that! and those are all very important points to know

No church in its right mind would do something so foolish. That would only cause fear and distrust.

exactly, and therein lies the joke about hiding history.

we could also talk about how joseph smith gave the priesthood to black men and women, and the prophet after him took it away.

It's really more just a lack of desire by people to research and understand. Which is fine. They are happy people. Whatever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Hofmann

tm;dr (too mormon, didn't read)

He forged a bunch of documents related to the history of the Mormon church, which the Mormon church then bought for exorbitant sums and hid, because they were worried it would undermine their position.

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited February 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Javen wrote: »
    No one is quoting me

that must mean I'm right.

I'm going to get pizza to celebrate.

Pretty much, I am like damn, I guess I should turn gay cause that could easily be the direction we go.

Not really cause, I like girls, and thats ya know, it.

Jigrah on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    DO YOU WANNA LIVE FOREVAH?

MrMonroe on
    edited February 2009
    Guys, what I'm saying is that it is an empirical fact that Gay Marriage caused sterility.

Evander on
    edited February 2009
    lostwords wrote: »

EVERYONE FIGHTS

NO ONE QUITS

there are people who unironically think this is a good idea

isn't that mindblowing

you have to earn your rights, youngun

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    you can't prove that they are true in the way that you can prove an object accelerates at 9.8 meters per second per second under the influence of Earth's gravity.

That's a bad example.

You can prove that things FALL, but gravity itself, and how it works, is still somewhat theoretical. We know that SOMETHING makes things fall, but exactly what it is open to a bit of debate.

I don't know man I took physics and they explained it as something about the size of the two objects and the distance between them and I slept those days both years

Me Too! on
    edited February 2009

EVERYONE FIGHTS

NO ONE QUITS

there are people who unironically think this is a good idea

isn't that mindblowing

Not really. What's your problem with it?

MrMonroe on
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

EVERYONE FIGHTS

NO ONE QUITS

WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Quoth on
    edited February 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »

That's a bad example.

I don't know man I took physics and they explained it as something about the size of the two objects and the distance between them and I slept those days both years

We have an idea of how it works.

It's the question of what causes it that an exact answer is still being searched for.

Evander on
  • Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Also,

Jigrah, please

Fire Truck on
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

That's a bad example.

luckily I only specified that you can prove they accelerate, not why :P

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

That's a bad example.

It's the question of what causes it that an exact answer is still being searched for.
    A wizard did it.

Clint Eastwood on
  • BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This country has a rather illustrious history of the majority acting on their ideals, which others recognized as immoral and eventually overturned.

It was a joke. I was sarcastically agreeing with the guy who said I don't actually know history because I'm mormon. :|

well, the mormon church does hide and bury it's history, but they can learn normal history just fine.
    Actually, most historical records are held at the church offices in Salt Lake and any Joe Schmo can go and look at them. It's less hiding and more not talking about it. Because really who is going to go to the trouble?

yeah, but why not teach some of the full real history in those 3 hours of church i went to every sunday, and the many hours of youth group, or even in those hours of seminary. when i started studying on my own, my bishop scolded me for it and said it was best to not dig up the past and to just concern myself with having faith in the church leaders

i mean, i really would have loved to have been told about how a prophet is on record at a congressional hearing swearing that he has never received revelation from god, and that he was not chosen by god and that the apostles were also not chosen through revelation, and more. instead they teach the opposite of that! and those are all very important points to know

No church in its right mind would do something so foolish. That would only cause fear and distrust.

we could also talk about how joseph smith gave the priesthood to black men and women, and the prophet after him took it away.

It's really more just a lack of desire by people to research and understand. Which is fine. They are happy people. Whatever.

yeah, i have never been able to be happy with what is force fed me, i always want to know why, and when and what happened. it is part of the reason i never quite fit in during sunday school. i asked too many questions that the lesson books (which got repeated year after year after year) didn't have answers for

i was a perfect mormon kid where morals were concerned, and following the guidelines, but in temperment i just didn't fit at all

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited February 2009

That's a bad example.

Our guardian angels are holding all our feet to the ground so we can't fly up and see heaven before we die.

Fire Truck on
    edited February 2009

[Deleted User] on
    edited February 2009
    sunday school fucking sucked

really don't regret not going to church any more

Clint Eastwood on
    edited February 2009
    monroe it would not take much to completely disenfranchise massive swathes of people with a psuedo-meritocracy like that

just retool some wording in a test to vote and oops you just destroyed a voting bloc

I see what you're getting at.

If you were to simply append it to our current citizenship requirements I wouldn't have a problem.

MrMonroe on
    edited February 2009
    monroe it would not take much to completely disenfranchise massive swathes of people with a psuedo-meritocracy like that

just retool some wording in a test to vote and oops you just destroyed a voting bloc

So you meant that some people think it is something that is expedient and probable. Yes, that is mindblowing.

Fire Truck on
  • tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Weaver wrote: »
    oh man somebody last page mentioned the "your own planet thing"

Yeah, so there is some kind of mormom belief that if you do everything right, when you die you get to become god of your own universe, only you still have within this new universe adhere to the laws of where you came from, that god itself being the spirit of somebody who died before you and fffffffffffffffff

Puppies grow up to be Dogs. Kitties grow up to be Cats. Children of God grow up to be?
    Adults

oh i thought it was cats again

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Quoth wrote: »

EVERYONE FIGHTS

NO ONE QUITS

CAPTAIN IBANEZ OF THE ROGER YOUNG WON'T GET TOPLESS IN THIS MOVIE BUT GO SEE WILD THINGS

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
    edited February 2009
    guys is hard to sell something on craigslist

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited February 2009

[Deleted User] on
    edited February 2009
    I sold a treadmill on craigslist pretty easy.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    but all of this is useless masturbation anyways, anything i say won't convince you, because you have your eyes firmly shut, feeling righteous in your cause, and that what you are offering is fair.

it's the same with my extended family, i was furious when they donated money to the yes on 8 campaign, but their church leaders sent down the command, and they, like a nice little flock, go and obey without thinking it out logically. but nothing i say will make them look at it with a fair even view, they are far too skewed.

it makes me very very sad.

That bolded phrase is an impossibility. :winky:

I personally don't feel like my eyes are shut. I am very much a free thinker (Philosophy major) and welcome any viewpoints. I don't think I have been unreasonable or illogical in my statements so I'm not sure why you are comparing me to sheep, but whatev. Regardless, thanks for the convo and for not getting pissed off. Most people just get all angry when having any sort of debate.

Of course you don't feel your eyes are shut. This is like Plato's cave. You don't know any better so you don't realise that what you see or think isn't at all rational or fair.

And you're obviously not a free thinker because you twist and turn in your logic to desparately cling to your backwards beliefs.

No offense intended.

According to you, my cave is my religion and the outside is the "real world"

According to me, your cave is this world and the outside is the truth I have learned through my religion.

So, right back at ya.

No offense intended.

I take back the no offense intended because you're turning out to be a two-face hypocritical jackoff who doesn't want people who love each other to be able to call themselves a specific thing just because you don't like it when they do.

You're a bit of a prick and your stance is completely illogical, bigoted and childish in the extreme.

Spectre-x on
    edited February 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »

If you were to simply append it to our current citizenship requirements I wouldn't have a problem.
    You're still disenfranchsing lots of people

The disabled, the religiously pacifistic, etc

this is a fucking stupid argument Starship Troopers was a goddamned parody film christ
    did you miss the part of the book where everyone is accepted into the military?

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

yeah, i have never been able to be happy with what is force fed me, i always want to know why, and when and what happened. it is part of the reason i never quite fit in during sunday school. i asked too many questions that the lesson books (which got repeated year after year after year) didn't have answers for

i was a perfect mormon kid where morals were concerned, and following the guidelines, but in temperment i just didn't fit at all

Not sure thats totally fair. My favorite word when I was young was "Why". I constantly and still ask questions. It was actually accepted and encouraged when I was at church. And one of the people I love touting to show that truly intellectual people can be members of the church is Hugh Nibley. Look the guy up. Or Henry B. Eyring. I gots more if you need.

ObiFett on
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

this is a fucking stupid argument Starship Troopers was a goddamned parody film christ

The book had a better description of the system.

Darth Waiter on
    edited February 2009

The book had a better description of the system.
    less tits, though

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Hofmann

tm;dr (too mormon, didn't read)

He forged a bunch of documents related to the history of the Mormon church, which the Mormon church then bought for exorbitant sums and hid, because they were worried it would undermine their position.
    Yeah, I've seen several documentaries on the guy. Kinda different though.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »

Government service isn't always military service, you could work at the DMV for instance, I sure as hell would rather go to war but hey, there are options.

Jigrah on
    edited February 2009

[Deleted User] on
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    tsplitter wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »
    oh man somebody last page mentioned the "your own planet thing"

Yeah, so there is some kind of mormom belief that if you do everything right, when you die you get to become god of your own universe, only you still have within this new universe adhere to the laws of where you came from, that god itself being the spirit of somebody who died before you and fffffffffffffffff

Puppies grow up to be Dogs. Kitties grow up to be Cats. Children of God grow up to be?
    Adults

oh i thought it was cats again

Tricky, huh?

ObiFett on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    it doesn't matter, Waiter, because a meritocracy is a pretty fucking awful idea in the modern world

Did I say it was?

edit: Or wasn't, for that matter?

Darth Waiter on
    edited February 2009

[Deleted User] on
This discussion has been closed.