As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

L5R: Your Honorable service begins

13»

• ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Using his iron club as a sort of cane, he smashes its heavy head into the ground and places both his palms on the tip of the handle. "I present to you Tsuruchi Kenji-sama, son-in-law to the honorable Tsuruchi Basho-sama and we are his humble yojimbo. Any disrespect will not be tolerated."

Puffing out his chest, he stares down all the samurai before him, daring any to test that statement.

Valkun on
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Masashi stood in the clearing facing the Ronin, and smiled to himself.

These men aren't bowing or scraping or treating me like I'm some sort of god just because I'm related to the emperor.

Silently, he waited for the Ronin's response, grinning happily to himself.

El Skid on
  • Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    At Oda's introduction the ronin bow to Kenji. "We are very pleased to see you here sir." the skinny man says. "May i assume, since you are here. That you have met the lord mayor?" The spear carrying ronin spits at the mention of Daitsuke. "Since you are not killing us, can i also assume you mean us no harm? That you are here to aid us in liberating the island? Like your predecessor?"

"We mean you no harm," says Kenji, "But as far liberating the island, tell me what do you mean my predecessor?"

"Ah the other Tsuruchi envoy, he joined us after his yojimbo were killed by Mirumoto Jubei."

"Wasn't much help though." The spear wielder adds. "Enough of that," commands the skinny man, who seems to have more authority than the other two."

"Do you have any questions, do you trust us enough to let us guide you to our leader?" Asks the skinny sergeant.

Canada_jezus on
    edited January 2009
    Masashi looked back at Kenji, who shrugged and made a non-commital gesture.

Resisting the urge to sigh, Masashi turned back to the Ronin and said: "We would love to see your leader. Please, take us there, and if we have any questions we'll be sure to ask them."

El Skid on
    edited January 2009
    Switching personas, Oda makes a short bow and shoulders his club. "We will follow you." As much as he dislikes the Lord Mayor, a lifetime of running through the Shadowlands keeps him ever vigilant. Trained eyes and ears search for any ambush that lies in wait.

Valkun on
    edited January 2009
    The lead ronin stiffens a bit under Yuri's comment, not sure if it was meant as an insult. He doesn't say anything however and just starts walking while he two companions remain behind. He leads you through some heavily packed brush, while explaining how they've avoided detection and what they do for food. "There are still those loyal to the idea of true order you see," he says, "Some of the older peasants leave food for us at designated places. We've not had to resort to theft."

Oda meanwhile points something out to Tsuruchi Kenji, who then says "Excuse me, but will you be leading us under those men in the trees or shall we go around them." Two ronin one armed with a spear one with a bow are perched up high in the trees. When they see you see them, the one with the bow gives a smile and waves. He doesn't intend harm at least. "Ah i am sorry, those are our sentries, no harm was meant. My oversight entirely, i beg your forgiveness."

"Quite alright quite alright, says kenji," he gives each of you a look, that says be alert. When you reach the camp, which is actually a cave in the northern-most hills and the clearing in front of it. A young man, barely seventeensummers walks up and demands answers of the skinny ronin. "Who are these men?" he asks, "Ah wait, i understand."

"Welcome Tsuruchi-sama," he bows, "Welcome Otomo-sama" he bows again. "Truly our lord's new envoy must be important to have one such as you for yojimbo." Whoever this is he has an excellent grasp of heraldry. "I am Sojuro, temporary leader of these men, shelterer of your predecessor. Have you suffered the mad dragon's wrath as well? Do you require refreshment? Anything at all we can do for you?"

Kenji, after some hesitation, replies. "Well, Tsuruchi Aki, the man who came before me," he remembers the name finally "we'll need to talk to him. As for the dragon's wrath. We, ah, sidestepped that. We actually said we'd go into the forest to hunt you down." This causes some consternation among the ronin until Kenji can reassure them. "We require your aid against the lord mayor and his forces." Troubled looks are shot your way from the ronin. One walks his head shaking.

Canada_jezus on
    edited January 2009
    "Yes we fled death! It was the only choice!" Sojuro yells back, "You come here for our help, would corpses have served your purpose! "

"NO!" Sojuro steps forward menacingly, hand on his katana. "I see you avoided confrontation with the dragon handily, perhaps our fault lies in not being as duplicitous as the lion!" Several of the ronin flex their muscles, showing they're ready to jump in if need be. The mood suddenly got a little tense.

"Perhaps it is best if," Kenji tries to say,

"Not now!" Says sojuro, shutting him up.

"My father would have had free reign, if we had not deserted and stopped those rice shipments." Sojuro says."It was not the time for our deaths."

Canada_jezus on
    edited January 2009
    The silent tension is suddenly shattered as Oda roars with barking laughter. Stepping up, he playfully smacks Yuri's back hard enough to send most people off balance. "He's got you there. We too knew that it was better to leave the fight for another day, when we would be stronger. To throw your lives away uselessly, what good does that do the Emperor?"

Letting his tetsubo slide out of his hand and clank onto the ground, the massive Crab walks over towards Sojuro, then wraps his arm around the man's shoulders playfully. "But together." He gives the man a good shake. "No mere dragon could be a match for all of us. So let's go fulfill our duties, together."

Valkun on
    edited February 2009
    The young man seems to respond well to the crab's camaraderie. A slight smile appearing on his face "I've been working on a battle plan, to counter the hordes of peasants that will inevitably bar our way."

"We need to cut of the head of the snake," he says, "then bring its trashing body under control. Force my father to see reason, at the end of a sword if need be." he takes a big breath, "then go to every village and bring word that the emperor's law is restored."

Mean while Kenji has found Tsuruchi Aki and is speaking to him a little ways away. It seems like Kenji is comforting him about his failure.

Canada_jezus on
  • TangenTangen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Rei eyes the men around during the exchange. Then approaches Yuri. and talks only to her. "Yuri-san, my father always told me that your honor is always proven by your blade. These men's honor will be tested soon enough. If they are on worthy then their blade's shall fail, while our's will hold strong. Trust me." Rei smiles at the lion. "There is no doubt that we would of handled this differant, but none would ever be so foolish as to question a Lion's honor."

Tangen on
    edited February 2009
    Masashi nods at the young Mantis, agreeing with his tactics, and feeling sorry for him for the situation the young mantis found himself in. Hoping to add yet another buffer between the raging Lion and the Mantis, he spoke up loudly.

"This must be hard for you, Yorimoto-sama, seeing your father in such a state. I hope we can convince your father to see sanity again, and restore order through persuasion. If not, I will see to it that Tsuruchi Kenji-sama survives to aid you through whatever other means are necessary."

El Skid on
    edited February 2009
    Using his intertwined position, Oda gives the man a good shove forward towards the offended lion. "Now now, go apologize properly. A woman scorned is more fearsome then any demon."

With some offensively loud laughter that echoes off the cave walls, the Crab walks towards the lower ranking samurai. "It has been a long thirsty walk. Have you something that will satiate your guest's thirst?" The massive smile and tone of voice indicate he desires neither water nor tea.

Valkun on
    edited February 2009
    One of the lower ranking ronin digs up a bottle of sake and says "We were saving it for an auspicious occasion, your arrival certainly counts,"

"aye," says another, "We certainly had nothing to celebrate about before." Meanwhile Yoritomo Sojuro kneels, bows and apologizes to Matsu Yuri. There seems to be a sincere will to avoid bad blood. Kenji and Tsuruchi Aki meanwhile have begun preparations for war council of sorts. They're looking at the map of the island and debating strategy. They're both quite horrible at it even to untrained ears that is obvious.

Canada_jezus on
    edited February 2009
    A war council! thought Masashi, So it is to be battle against peasants. Ah well, I suppose you have to take what you can get. At least it's better than simply talking the mayor down, which is what I would have expected...

Masashi approaches Kenji, and asks if he can be of any assistance, and upon the grateful response begins to correct some of the... difficulties inherent in their planning."With due respect, Kenji-sama, that cliff is too sheer to scale.... Kenji-sama, perhaps walking around the rice fields might save some time- it's awfully muddy in there...."

El Skid on
    edited February 2009
    "Aha!" With glee, Oda takes the bottle and imbibes a generous gulp of the firey liquid. With the vigorous grace of a ruffian, he takes a seat amongst the rank and file while passing on the celebratory saki.

"Let me tell you, a few peasants are nothing compared to what I've seen." A braggart at heart, the Hiruma scout enthralls the group with tales of the Shadowlands and his various adventures behind the wall. "...Then I punched through his chest and grabbed out his heart..." The look of discomfort on some of the more cultured samurai is completely ignored as he continues to rabble on. "...had to find rats to eat at night while waiting for them to pass..." Despite the seriousness of the situation, Oda can't help but take the opportunity to drink readily after the long boat trip. "...my right arm was broken so I had to squeeze the life out of him with just one hand. Should have seen his eyes pop out..."

Valkun on
    edited February 2009
    "Its what we've been doing, trying to stop the rice from being shipped so that help would come." says Sojuro to Yuri. "He promises equality with the samurai, fine goods for everyone." he shakes his head. "Madness really, but the people love his speeches. I do believe you're right however, deposing my father should make all other resistance falter."

"May i suggest sending someone, say myself, with the promise of a bribe toward the Mirumoto. With him on the sidelines our attack has a far greater chance of succeeding." Suggests Tsuruchi Aki.

"We could attack him as he gives a speech. Though that would mean a great deal of peasants in the way. Or we could sneak in at night and attempt to catch my father unawares."

Canada_jezus on
    edited February 2009
    "Attacking where your enemy least expects is at the heart of battle, though sneaking doesn't sound very honourable." pausing a moment to mull things over, Masashi continues. "Does your father leave his manor regularily for such speeches? If we could find out where he will be, we could apprehend him and attempt to make him see reason with the smallest possible disruption to further rice shipments, and of course with the loss of the fewest peasants possible."

"Whatever we do, we should move quickly. If the enemy doesn't know you have allies until you take the field, you have a clear advantage in battle."

El Skid on
    edited February 2009
    "True, if you stay here for several days my father will expect betrayal. He leaves his mansion almost every day for speeches. Though his audience varies greatly. " Explains Sojuro, while the ronin listen to Oda with a mix of disgust and awe.

"We have some excellent Tsuruchi archers at our disposal, we can easily cow a small numbers of peasants with them. That could give us a clear shot at my father and his yojimbo."

Canada_jezus on
    edited February 2009
    "Charging into the teeth of a band of Tsuruchi archers is definitely not for the faint hearted" agreed Masashi approvingly. "If we can find out where he will be today, confronting him and ending this madness should be possible before dinner. Though I suppose restoring order and getting the rice flowing again could take a few days more." Masashi smiled to himself. As plans went, that was a pretty good basis for one.

El Skid on
    edited February 2009
    Rei nods. "We are obviously blessed by the fortunes to have these Samurai in our group. Victory is well on its way."

Tangen on
    edited February 2009
    After hammering out a suitable plan, sending ahead the scouts and preparing yourselves, you and the ronin begin the trek back toward the village. Though the trip through the forest is faster due to them knowing the way perfectly, your need to hide from the peasants slows you down while crossing the rice paddies. Not many peasants are at work though and those who are pay no attention at all to the group.

a few hours later

The men spread out as you approach the village, as much as possible they've dressed down to look like the average peasant. One of the scouts you sent out moseys back to the brush to give an update. "Overheard that the mayor is set to give a speech," he says, "Not too many peasants around now. He's going to give his speech on the steps of his mansion."

"I see," says Sojuro, "Lets move into position and wait untill he appears." All the ronin do so, not waiting on word from you to do something else. You wait, hidden from plain view. A slight island breeze makes the wait more comfortable than expected. The mayor exits, flanked by two guards and his yojimbo. A small crowd gathers, with more peasants arriving as the mayor starts speaking. Sojuro asks "The archers are in position, i can have my men charge and clear off the peasants and maybe the guards, but the yojimbo won't run."

"On your mark?"

Canada_jezus on
    edited February 2009
    Looking over at his samurai mates, Masashi grins. "Looks like it's time to fight!"

He walks out of the nearby alley and begins walking brazenly towards the manor house, still wearing his colours and his breastplate proudly.

El Skid on
    edited February 2009
    Not to be outdone, Oda walks casually behind his peer, his tetsubo angled over his shoulder and behind his head. The breeze causes his clothing to flutter and exposes his smooth chest.

"Death before dishonor."

Valkun on
    edited February 2009
    As the mayor notices you he spreads his arms in a welcoming gesture, "My friends, were the ronin dealt with so soon?" The peasants that have bunched up before the steps start to move away a bit. You can see the ronin at the ready to scatter them and keep them away from the fight. Mirumoto Jubei meanwhile smells a rat and draws his weapons. "Stay right there. Have the ronin been dealt with?" he echoes, his doubt apparent.

With Kenji staying far back as discussed, it falls to one of you to tell the mayor the news.

Canada_jezus on
    edited February 2009
    "Lord Mayor" called Masashi, continuing to walk calmly towards the madman and giving the barest of nods, which he hoped would be taken as respect. "We had no trouble finding the Ronin and their leaders. Among them was the leader of the first delegation to you, one Tsuruchi Aki, who was now in charge of the Ronin."

Pushing past the peasants and in towards the mayor, Masashi kept talking, timing the point of his arrival with his last words: "We have come to deliver a message to you. Tsuruchi Aki-sama and Tsuruchi Kenji-sama are agreed, and have come to you in one mind to say...." Stopping in front of the mayor with the other Yojimbo at his side, he put his hand on his sword lightly: "This area is now surrounded by Tsuruchi archers and the remainder of the Ronin you forced out of your service. Recant your crimes against the Celestial Order, or be stripped of your position and taken prisoner to answer for your crimes of Revolution against the Emperor, may he live forever."

El Skid on
    edited February 2009
    "Think carefully of your decision. You know, as well as we, that if this continues, every man, woman, and child here will be put to the sword for fear they have been tainted. If you truly care for them, you will step down now before the fields run red with their lives."

As an extension of his arm, the Hiruma points his tetsubo one handed towards the Mayor. Not the most battle ready stance but a dramatic gesture to get the point across.

Valkun on
    edited February 2009
    "Justice, will be served!" yells the mayor, "Attack my people, rend these intruders limb from limb!" The ronin take this as their cue and charge. The confusion strikes immediately and hard, the some peasants swarm all over their attackers and drag them down, other just run away. The ronin don't seem to be in any real danger and are trying not to hurt the peasants overmuch. Hidden Tsuruchi archers meanwhile take aim and fire shots at the guards to the side of the mayor and random peasants that have armed themselves.

The battle seems to ignore you for the moment, leaving the focus on your group and the mayor and his yojimbo. Mirumoto Jubei, for his part, has an unsure expression on his face, like this was not at all what he expected to occur. The mayor's face is livid, his scimitar is in his hand and he is frothing at the mouth. Completely beserk at his sudden reversal of fortunes.

Canada_jezus on
    edited February 2009
    As Oda surges forward, the mayor's faithfull yojimbo does the only thing he can do and he strikes out at Oda's leg. A painful hit is score along the outside of the thigh. Just after oda comes Senzo in a screaming bum's rush. He tries to tackle the Dragon, but Jubei nimbly moves aside.

Sojuro, meanwhile finally facing his father, hesitates. The Mayor does not however and carves a painful gash over his son's chest. "You are no son of mine, whelp!" The ji-samurai remain pinned down by arrows that whiz over your head. The peasants can't seem to get closer to you, but neither can the other ronin to help out.

Canada_jezus on
    edited February 2009
    Sensing that the mayor is the key to the combat, and also feeling some residual need to protect the Mantis in his charge's abscence, Masashi leaps toward the mayor in a quick attack that the frothing mayor barely registers. His sword slides past a last-second parry attempt and buries itself in the Mayor's stomach.

Despite the gruesome blow, he manages to retains his footing, and the madman's eyes widen even further in shock and fury.

El Skid on
    edited February 2009
    With his iron club swinging wildly as a tree limb in a storm, the Hiruma scout charges into the fray. Yelling ferociously, he dares any to get within arm's reach, a substantial range for such a huge man.

The display attracts the attention of the seasoned warrior protecting the ignorant betrayer of the very order of the universe, just as he had desired. As the Dragon turned, time seemed to slow down in Oda's mind. The sound of frantic peasants and clash of weapons become soft spring rain, each step thundering into his head, every heartbeat now a deep drum beat of war. A blazing aura seemed to surround the man before him as he draws out his sword for a deadly precision strike. Even with all his focus and force centered on defending himself, the Crab can do little more than tap the blade with his club. With horror, he watches it slice a line across his thigh causing him to stumble in his run. There is a moment of serene peace before his leg is alight with the blazing rancor of the Lord Sun himself.

Valkun on
    edited February 2009
    As Kitsuki Rei draws her katana and pleads with Mirumot Jubei to stop this insanity, the fight rages on without much if any holdup.

"Yojimbo! Kill this dog!" the mayor yells indicating his son. Jubei follows orders with a grunt, nimbly moving away from Oda and stabbing under Sojuro's guard, through his chest. As soon as he does so however, Senzo tries to tackle him once again, but succeeds this time. Causing the two to go tumbling down the steps. The Dragon promptly headbuts the monk and gains the upper hand, but the fact remains that he is on the ground, a something of a disadvantage.

Taking advantage of the momentary distracting the Mayor steps forward and cuts Masashi from shoulder to chest.

Canada_jezus on
    edited February 2009
    As the din of combat rings all around him, Oda falls into a sort of battle meditation. His eyes focus upon the Lord Mayor who has just slashed his rival. Rage swells up from within his chest as he stomps forward, the pain in his thigh only adding fuel to the tempest. You have no right to take what is mine.

With an inhuman roar, he lifts back his iron club as the Lord Mayor turns to face the enraged bull of a man. The mound of solid metal smashes into the victim's chest, breaking ribs like the limbs of a dying tree. The momentum transferred to the secondary body is enough to send him flying through a nearby window, blasting apart the ornate woodwork.

Resting the tetsubo on his shoulder, Oda offers a hand to his fellow scout. "Come, there is much glory to be had today." The smile on Hiruma's face clashes greatly with the seriousness of the battle all around them.

Valkun on
    edited February 2009
    As Masashi swung his sword back to finish off the mayor, he was taken a bit aback by Oda crashing through the scene, laying the mayor out of the way.

Shrugging, he turned to his other opponent- the dragon writhing around on the ground with the monk. He stopped for a second to determine if it was really honourable to be attacking a prone enemy, but he decided that as the Dragon was a traitor, and seemed to feel he was quite confident taking on multiple enemies at once, that it would be okay.

Masashi's katana flew in for a killing blow, but the dragon twisted, resulting in a gash to his side instead, leaving a thin hole in his armour from which blood began to flow.

El Skid on
    edited February 2009
    Rei moves around and between the brawling yojimbo and any other peasants that may try and come to the rescue.

Tangen on
    edited March 2009
    Senzo gives a surprised yell as Yuri cut through Mirumoto Jubei, the resulting wound covers him in most of the dragon's blood. He pushes the corpse off of himself and disrobes, trying to get away from as much blood as possible. The mayor lies unconcious and wounded on the ground, groaning and speaking in tongues. Peasants that were moments before, trying to get into the fight are now running away as fast as they can, the ronin do not try to stop them. Deciding instead to take stock of their situation, only a few are wounded and minorly at worst.

Sojuro lies dead at the bottom of the steps. A tall lanky ronin stumbles forwards and cries over the body. The ji-samurai that are present bow down before the forces arrayed against them. Kenji emerges from hiding at the end of the village. A pained look on his face.

"What will we do now," cries the ronin mourning at Sojuro's body.

Canada_jezus on
    edited March 2009
    With a grunt, Oda lifts the incapacitated mayor up onto his shoulder and casually walks over towards Kenji. "Sama, what shall I do with this?" As a resident of The Wall, death has become as natural a part of existance as the summer heat and steaming bowls of rice. Embarrassing. But it'd be best to leave them alone, for now.

Valkun on
    edited March 2009
    "What will we do now," cries the ronin mourning at Sojuro's body.

"We will continue on, as Samurai always does when his comrades fall!" said Masashi, feeling very glad they had kept their charge from the battle. "Someone must take control of the situation, make sure that all traces of rebellion is stamped out, and finally make sure that the rice begins flowing again."

Masashi looked over at Kenji pointedly, but did not go so far as to volunteer the young Mantis for the task. You could show a man his duty, but you couldn't make him take it on.

El Skid on
    edited March 2009
    "No no, thats quite alright," replies Senzo still cleaning himself up, "You are right to have acted as you did, it was just sudden." He looks the combined party over and adds:" you seem to have things in hand now, i humbly apologize but i simply must wash up." At this he rushes to some nearby barrels of water in a frantic effort to cleanse himself of blood.

Kenji meanwhile answers Oda's question, "He still breathes? We must make sure he lives, but keep him secure. Some foolhardy peasants may try to liberate him. Find a healer and see to yourself first Oda-san, your leg must cannot go untreated."

Kenji raises his voice and commands those assembled. "Set guards at the edge of the village, go into the mansion and have it searched. It is now our headquarters. Send three riders to give the news to the other two villages, retreat if attacked. That is all!"

Canada_jezus on
    edited March 2009
    "It is nothing, Kenji-sama. I will see to his protection, personally." With a grunt, he carries the captive towards the manor. Without a word, he slips inside and finds a secluded bedroom within. Ripping bands of silk from the Lord Mayor's own clothing, he quickly binds the man's hands together and lays him down upon the ground.

Placing his own weapon near him, the Crab finds a delicate tea pot and fills it with water while keeping an eye upon the still babbling man nearby. The aroma of freshly picked herbs wafts from the room as the water bubbles on a small stove.

Valkun on