As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On]DYSTOPIA 1.2- Out on Steam!

• GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Capuano wrote: »
    Yeah, that WNx clan seem to be pretty ubiquitous. I'm always running into them, and they're quite good.

I think I've bumped into a few of them.

Of the 3-5 I met, most were quite nice and helpful to newbies.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    WNxSqueegeez is my friend :P

Dystopia friend, not like... real life or anything. Actually, I just say stuff to him once in a while. Its more like pen pals, over the internet.

Yeah, we're pretty much not friends actually

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've shot his head off a bunch of times. He's a good dude.

Mustachio Jones on
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Capuano, keep the doors open please

There's a reason the whole team was yelling at you to keep the doors open

Corp needs to be able to easily reinforce the point way more than punks can use two more, out of the way entrances.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • <3<3 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i added the steam.inf

i still can't see servers

edit: i just tried to join that WNx server and it says I don't have the 3rd party mod installed, but...i do.

<3 on
  • FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Every time I play with a group of WnXers one of them starts whining about something. They can't take smack-talk or abuse.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I hear that rushing objectives makes you a terrible person.

The reality is that rushing objectives makes you and Cango AWESOME

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I remember that one time in dy_silo that I pressed the 'operate platform' button a whole bunch thinking it was the 'operate door' button

some of my teammates might have died, some of them may not have died

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i added the steam.inf

edit: i just tried to join that WNx server and it says I don't have the 3rd party mod installed, but...i do.

Make sure the entire filename isn't "steam.inf.txt". Turn on file extensions and make sure of that, that's it's only "steam.inf" and nothing else. I ran into the same problem, did that and it worked.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • CapuanoCapuano Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Raslin wrote: »

Corp needs to be able to easily reinforce the point way more than punks can use two more, out of the way entrances.

If by whole team you mean that one dude who was yelling over teamchat, then yeah, the whole team was yelling at me.

I understand leaving them open to make it easier to get there from our spawn, but there's no reason we can't keep them closed and open it when someone needs it open. The only reason I want to keep them closed is because stealthers running in through four entrances is annoying, not to mention a heavy or two with a minigun would have an awesome spot to shred the team to pieces. It's not a big deal, though. I just felt like the guy was being a douche, so I figured I'd piss him off. I realize I'm an asshole.

Capuano on
    1372374-1.png
    Starcraft 2: jawaka.947
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Raslin wrote: »

If by whole team you mean that one dude who was yelling over teamchat, then yeah, the whole team was yelling at me.

I understand leaving them open to make it easier to get there from our spawn, but there's no reason we can't keep them closed and open it when someone needs it open. The only reason I want to keep them closed is because stealthers running in through four entrances is annoying, not to mention a heavy or two with a minigun would have an awesome spot to shred the team to pieces. It's not a big deal, though. I just felt like the guy was being a douche, so I figured I'd piss him off. I realize I'm an asshole.

IMO, it's better for the corps to take the long way than stealthers sneaking in.

Consider this, the punks come in from the top, take your guys out and then close the doors on you. Now you're screwed. :P

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Generally, you keep them closed unless you are already getting overrun, then open it for your teams respawners.

Alot of objectives like this seem kinda backwards.

Example, on broadcast, second objectives, corps are attacking

Theres a DNA sequencer that corps have to press, and let run for 10 seconds, without the punks touching it. Its in a room that can be locked and unlocked in cyberspace
    Corps want to lock the room, the punks want to keep it unlocked.

The reason being, if you lock the room, a group of guys can go in through the vents near corp spawn, clean it out, and the punks cant come in to retake it.

CangoFett on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ok, ok, ok, are you guys playing now? Can I play? Teach me the ways of the future samurai.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This game is way more complex than I gave it credit for.

TL DR on
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This game is way more complex than I gave it credit for.

It really depends on how deep you want to go. If you learn the maps like any other game and just shoot people, it's fairly simple.

If you want to stealth around/deck/do something other than kill, then yes, it's incredibly complex.

or if you want to be good. Being good isn't just about racking up the points. You don't get points for being a good team leader. Being good is about picking the right build for the right situation. Do you forgo your mediplant for a cold suit? Depends. Is going Light a good idea because your team is at a meat grinder and the lower spawn timer allows you to throw more bodies at? Again, it depends.

This game simply is one of the more dynamic shooters I've ever played. Also one of the most professionally done mods to ever grace the scene.

Mustachio Jones on
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, unless youre decking, the game isnt that complicated assuming youve played FPSes

Go to the objective, kill stuff.

Learning the map helps with the strategy, but usually theres somsone on the team whos done it before and can tell you where to go.

The difficulty in decking comes in 3 parts

1) Basics, hitscan is a sniper weapon, projectile is rocket spam, shaft is for close range. Learn the decking programs, how to hack them faster.

2) The map. Knowing where to go can be the difference between being awesome and barely losing

3) Advanceds. Projectile jumping in cyberspace is like rocket jumping. Knowing how to bunny hop for better speed. that sort of thing.

If duders have any questions at all, post em in the thread or PM me. Fodder can probably answer stuff to.

also

GET IN VENT

Fodder and I are in PA ventrilo every night, practically, playing this game. Join in, say hi, and play with us.

CangoFett on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    i added the steam.inf

Make sure the entire filename isn't "steam.inf.txt". Turn on file extensions and make sure of that, that's it's only "steam.inf" and nothing else. I ran into the same problem, did that and it worked.

Also, if you don't want to mess around with file extensions, notepad can save with any extension.

jothki on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Are you on this night Cango?

piL on
    edited February 2009
    Well, I'm pubbing it up and am in PA vent if anyone's around.

Capuano on
    1372374-1.png
  • PhantPhant Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Little tip for thermal usage. Learn to spot stealthers without having thermals on, like someone mentioned earlier, a bit of Hidden really sharpens your skills at this. Then, you flick thermals on once you have acquired the stealthy little target. Makes them alot easier to track and hit if they are any good. This keeps you from doing things like getting raped by coldsuiters and shooting your teammates.

A few other things...
    1. TKs happen in Dystopia, unless its obviously deliberate, get over it.

2. If your going to use the cortex bomb, SET A SUICIDE KEY AND BE PROFICIENT IN ITS USE.

3. Secondary for the Grenade launcher arms the grenade, holding it down while firing will ensure the 'nades arm as soon as possible.

4. If you dont know, ASK. Most of the vets are happy to tell you, providing you actually listen. If someone gives you shit, tell them to eat a bowl of dicks. Most of these types are 'vet wannabes' who want to pass themselves off as badass oldtimers to the new influx of players.

5. If you are on the assaulting team, DON'T CAMP. Its better to rush in, throw a cooked frag and spray everyone with the AR than sit back and do minimal damage and die anyways. Also, Crouching does nothing but makes your profile smaller, the only weapon in the game that benefits from crouching is the Minigun. And even then its not that much of a difference.

6. The Tesla rifle secondary should be used with caution. Know where your teammates are. Throwing a tesla ball through a pack of friendlies will earn you alot of unhappy teammates.

7. Practically all objectives have more than one path to them. Utilize this.

8. Squeebee is NOT you friend. He is a soulless laser rifling, point whoring algorithm. He will mercilessly steal your hard earned obj capture if you give him half a chance. Feel obligated to swear profusely at him if he does.

9. My game name is Fook, I will gladly explain anything you need to know to you if you do me the courtesy of listening. I look forward to fragging you all.

Phant on
  • FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I would lime that whole post if it wasn't so huge.

Whats your steam name, Phant?

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Damn, heavies have a lot of awesome weapons. Tonight I spent some time playing around with the ion cannon, and vaporizing enemies is awesome. They don't even leave a thermal vision-confusing body behind.

jothki on
    edited February 2009
    Fodder wrote: »
    I would lime that whole post if it wasn't so huge.

Whats your steam name, Phant?

Steam name, thats like... the name that comes up in the community thing right? I don't really use that whole deal very much, but its Fook as well.

Couple other things that occur to me

The Ion Cannon, despite having a zoom-function as the secondary, is not a sniper weapon. It loses damage over range. Ranged fire with it should be on targets of opportunity while moving into position.

The Laser Rifle functions just the opposite. It delivers full damage at long range, and damage degrades as the target moves closer.

Headshots. Only 4 weapons benefit from headshots, the Assault Rifle, the mk808, the laser rifle and the boltgun.(I am 99% certain these are all the weapons, but niggling doubt that I'm forgetting something leads me to leave this disclaimer)

When the attackers hold the objective JIP, ALWAYS KILL THEIR DECKER. I don't care if their entire team is there defending, don't waste your time with them. KILL THE DECKER. Alternately, EMP the decker if you are a light. Frag grenades combined with alot of jumping around to give yourself time to drop both of them at the deckers feet work wonders here.

Oh, and a quick warning to the people like the guy earlier who left the game due to the Yaoi room. Dystopia has alot of furries. Deal with it. They were here when the playerbase was in the 1-200 people range, and probably aren't going anywhere soon. If your such an internets virgin you can't deal with seeing a few furry pron/catgirl/othertasteless sprays now and then well, this is your warning.

Phant on
    edited February 2009
    Phant wrote: »
    Oh, and a quick warning to the people like the guy earlier who left the game due to the Yaoi room. Dystopia has alot of furries. Deal with it. They were here when the playerbase was in the 1-200 people range, and probably aren't going anywhere soon. If your such an internets virgin you can't deal with seeing a few furry pron/catgirl/othertasteless sprays now and then well, this is your warning.

They didn't scare me away from Second Life so I doubt they'll bother me here either. :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

They didn't scare me away from Second Life so I doubt they'll bother me here either. :D

and like one guy mentioned it once on the first page

...How long had you pent up this rant for?

MrDelish on
    edited February 2009
    Headshots. Only 4 weapons benefit from headshots, the Assault Rifle, the mk808, the laser rifle and the boltgun.(I am 99% certain these are all the weapons, but niggling doubt that I'm forgetting something leads me to leave this disclaimer)

Awesome. I was just wondering about this, and you have answered my question without me asking it.

Also, fun times were had last night. Team stacking and ventrilo ftw. Hopefully we can get some more people in on the fun.

Capuano on
    1372374-1.png
    edited February 2009
    MrDelish wrote: »

and like one guy mentioned it once on the first page

...How long had you pent up this rant for?

That counts as a rant?o_O

Phant on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Awesome. I was just wondering about this, and you have answered my question without me asking it.

Also, fun times were had last night. Team stacking and ventrilo ftw. Hopefully we can get some more people in on the fun.

Yeah, I definitely learned a lot more playing with decent people. My k/f ratio was 1.0 at one point, which is a personal best :D

TL DR on
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

those phrases are particularly angry

MrDelish on
    edited February 2009
    MrDelish wrote: »

those phrases are particularly angry

Eh, I've never really considered 'deal with it' all that angry. As for 'internets virgin' I dont mean to imply that the subject is a pimp-faced basement dweller unfamiliar with the opposite sex, more that they have not yet had their sanity and/or eyeballs blasted by the depraved corners of the web. Now, if I were ranting, I would probably still be typing assuming this forum doesn't impose character limits on posts.

Phant on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I find it funny that I have more points earned from healing than kills. :lol:

Inquisitor on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    so anyway the minigun is awesome confirm/confirm

PiptheFair on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    confirm

august on
    edited February 2009
    I think my favorite thing about this game is the way kills pop up on your hud.

Nothing better than whipping a rocket around a corner hearing BLOOP and seeing +1 +2 +1.

august on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    or dropping down an elevator shaft and just sweeping a room as stealthed lights drop down behind you and chop everyone to bits

PiptheFair on
    edited February 2009
    Like if every single multiplayer fps ever made had audio feedback when you hit and kill and the same hud kill count pop up I would be really happy.

Someone jump on that.

august on
    edited February 2009
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    or dropping down an elevator shaft and just sweeping a room as stealthed lights drop down behind you and chop everyone to bits
    Shit, having stealthed lights follow behind you is always awesome. The badguys see one person enter the room, yet all of them die within seconds. Wonderful. :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited February 2009
    That is all great stuff, but nothing, and I mean NOTHING, beats catching a foe in midair with a bolt and nailing them to the wall. Possibly the greatest use of the physics engine and ragdolls EVAR.

Phant on
  • FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That is all great stuff, but nothing, and I mean NOTHING, beats catching a foe in midair with a bolt and nailing them to the wall. Possibly the greatest use of the physics engine and ragdolls EVAR.

I like one time I got a jumping heavy and the bolt pinned him to the ceiling. There was just a fat piece of metal armour with four limbs limply hanging just above head level.

My all-time favourite bolt kill, though, is when I headshot another light in a vent. The head careened into the wall and got pinned and then the body slumped back so that it was leaning against the wall perfectly, its head where it should be but severed and slightly contorted.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Do bolts skip on any surface if you hit at the right angle?

Cause I know they bounce around like crazy in vents.

Inquisitor on