As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LOTRO] Barrovian Society Wanders but is not Lost

• precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    Guardian, Champion or healer, imo. Guardian to be her tank, Champion to add to her dps with aoe and to be able to tank (a little) or a healer to make her do all the work while you string along for some heals.

Also: wow you got unbanned.

I was banned? I was never banned.

Anyways, definitely looking something for synergy for just us duoing. Was looking at the RK, as it seems that class can do damage and heal. How about the minstrel? Will healing be crucial later on in levels?

precisionk on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yes you were, unless I'm wrong.

I'm only lev31 but most group quests are for either 3 or 6. Healing is always in high demand, though. And RK are awesome.

Aldo on
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    precisionk wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    Guardian, Champion or healer, imo. Guardian to be her tank, Champion to add to her dps with aoe and to be able to tank (a little) or a healer to make her do all the work while you string along for some heals.

Also: wow you got unbanned.

I was banned? I was never banned.

Anyways, definitely looking something for synergy for just us duoing. Was looking at the RK, as it seems that class can do damage and heal. How about the minstrel? Will healing be crucial later on in levels?

RK would be a good option, as they can heal damn near as well as minstrels, and can indeed do a bit of damage when they need to. And yes, healing is always crucial. Healers are the most in-demand class in the game. Also, if you're interested in crafting, it would probably be a good idea if the two of you planned your professions around each other. Have one of you be a forester, the other be a woodworker/one of you be a prospector, the other a weapon or armoursmith, etc.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • DedianDedian Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm glad I switched to historian (scholar/weaponsmith/farmer... but, not really using farmer :D) on my hunter, the potions and other stuff he can make helps himself out a lot.. plus he can make his own oils and chants for his bow, plus traps with the right level in weaponcrafting. Explorer is always good to have, to provide the raw materials to your other crafts...

Dedian on
  • BroktuneBroktune Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dedian wrote: »
    I'm glad I switched to historian (scholar/weaponsmith/farmer... but, not really using farmer :D) on my hunter, the potions and other stuff he can make helps himself out a lot.. plus he can make his own oils and chants for his bow, plus traps with the right level in weaponcrafting. Explorer is always good to have, to provide the raw materials to your other crafts...

Dang it. I should have chosen that path. I'm a woodworker/forester/farmer. It's cool but I need to chop up so many damn trees to advance that I really can't make my own weapons before I outgrow them.

Broktune on
    edited February 2009
    Historian is pretty cool all around, not profitable until you're like Grand Master, but it is pretty cool to make your own potions and dyes and can give your FS a buff. Also: you get to roll Need on shit no one else wants. :lol:

Aldo on
    edited February 2009
    Broktune wrote: »

Dang it. I should have chosen that path. I'm a woodworker/forester/farmer. It's cool but I need to chop up so many damn trees to advance that I really can't make my own weapons before I outgrow them.

I started with woodworker too (to make my own bows), but realized quickly that I'd only be making ONE thing from the whole profession, which I could easily buy on the AH (albeit, at craptastic prices. Seriously woodworkers...) Now I can send crafting scrolls to all my chars and all sorts of other stuff... I really wish I would have kept a lot of the scholar recipes I've found, as well... Heck, I think I'll just start hoarding that crap on an alt, since I might need it one day :D

Dedian on
    edited February 2009
    Ugh... so I ran Vol 2, book 1 today, and got my legendary weapon (hurray for having it at level 45) but... really?.. it started with these legacies: rend bleed damage (hurray!), blocking blades parry rating (don't even have that), and hedge/sudden defence duration (don't use those, either). Plus, I got a setting for soemthing like +200 melee crit rating, and I stupidly overwrote it with another setting, not knowing what I was doing. Although, it (after leveling its DPS) and the survivor's sword are doing pretty well compared to the crap common-damage forged elven swords I had..

Dedian on
  • AllchuffedupAllchuffedup Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    grats dedian!

Allchuffedup on
    steam_sig.png
    allchuffedup#1671
    edited February 2009
    Ugh... so I ran Vol 2, book 1 today, and got my legendary weapon (hurray for having it at level 45) but... really?.. it started with these legacies: rend bleed damage (hurray!), blocking blades parry rating (don't even have that), and hedge/sudden defence duration (don't use those, either). Plus, I got a setting for soemthing like +200 melee crit rating, and I stupidly overwrote it with another setting, not knowing what I was doing. Although, it (after leveling its DPS) and the survivor's sword are doing pretty well compared to the crap common-damage forged elven swords I had..

You also ignored my tell and logged off. :x

Triple B on
    edited February 2009
    Woops :D umm... it was late! (actually it was :D)

edit: I've been on my hunter for a while, and wasn't even watching my IM's... sorry bout that. I'll be back on tonight for quite a while I think, playin with my new stuffs.

Dedian on
    edited February 2009
    Whatever man...I can tell when I'm being dodged. :cry:

Triple B on
    edited February 2009
    Triple B wrote: »
    Whatever man...I can tell when I'm being dodged. :cry:

Bah! nonsense

Dedian on
  • Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Yeah, my first legendary is pretty craptastic. It's a one handed sword with 2 legacies for overpower skills (for those who don't play guards, turning on overpower means you can't block, so that shield isn't quite as useful anymore; typically, unless you really need the armor or +stats from your shield, you switch to a 2-hander when going overpower), and -cool down on a skill that takes 1 minute to cool down, and for most fights only needs to be used once, if at all.

Regarding crafting: I'm insane, but I have this thing planned out where each of my characters has a different profession, with the notion that each will join a different crafting guild, so eventually I'll have everything covered. I kinda wish I'd gone with explorer on my main so I'd have both ore AND wood for the next toons to come up, but crafted heavy shields are pretty nice. Oh, and not having to pay stupid prices for crafting tools on the AH, too.

Simon Moon on
    Steam: simon moon
    edited February 2009
    Simon Moon wrote: »

Yeah, my first legendary is pretty craptastic. It's a one handed sword with 2 legacies for overpower skills (for those who don't play guards, turning on overpower means you can't block, so that shield isn't quite as useful anymore; typically, unless you really need the armor or +stats from your shield, you switch to a 2-hander when going overpower), and -cool down on a skill that takes 1 minute to cool down, and for most fights only needs to be used once, if at all.

Regarding crafting: I'm insane, but I have this thing planned out where each of my characters has a different profession, with the notion that each will join a different crafting guild, so eventually I'll have everything covered. I kinda wish I'd gone with explorer on my main so I'd have both ore AND wood for the next toons to come up, but crafted heavy shields are pretty nice. Oh, and not having to pay stupid prices for crafting tools on the AH, too.

I'll be reforging mine tonight, so maybe that'll do some good... Since this is a 3rd age LI, I'm guessing I have one more reforge after this (or two?) and since the first reforge is a quest.. where do I go to get it reforged after the first one? (I think the two forge-masters, in Thorins and Rivendell, are just for use during the quest). Do I have to protect that Dwarf from the tentacles (and probably die) to get into Moria?

Oh, and I really liked how they moved the camera around on the quest before getting your LI... I was like oh shit, stunned, what now, then zooooooooom! Didn't know they could do that.

Dedian on
    edited February 2009
    Logging on in 3...

Triple B on
    edited February 2009
    Logging on in 3...

I'm at work, I have an excuse!

Dedian on
    edited February 2009
    How 'bout now, sucka?

Triple B on
  • Stevo 22Stevo 22 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I hit 50 today or yesterday, can't remember, it's been a looooong day, loving Eregion.

However, I have hesitated to get my legendary weapon, partially due to my not knowing anything about the system and my fear that I'll fuck everything up. From what I understand, I can't have two Legendary weapons, right? Because I'm a Champ who loves his one handed axes and this would make me sad.

Stevo 22 on
    "It's do or die." "Hey, I've died twice."
    edited February 2009
    Stevo 22 wrote: »
    I hit 50 today or yesterday, can't remember, it's been a looooong day, loving Eregion.

However, I have hesitated to get my legendary weapon, partially due to my not knowing anything about the system and my fear that I'll fuck everything up. From what I understand, I can't have two Legendary weapons, right? Because I'm a Champ who loves his one handed axes and this would make me sad.

For a champ you have a choice of one handed or two handed (lots of different weapons to chose from, axe is definately one) and a legendary rune (not as part of the quest, however). Before you finish 2.1.10 or 11, I forgot, I don't think you can use any of the legendaries that drop from sentient mobs 51 and above outside moria.. Your first legendary (from the book quests) may or may not be any good. Mine wasn't, but now at least I have a sword way over my level to tear through things :D Only thing you really have to be careful of is overwriting settings... I did that with a really nice +200 melee crit +10 might setting. I wasn't paying attention to which tab I was on, and poof, gone! Ah well :D At level 10, you have to reforge, and you'll get an additional legacy (you chose from two random), as well as your slotted settings and the points you've assigned to legacies. All the quest weapon legacies are tier 5, I believe, so they're not too bad to level. Mine suck so much however, that I'm just levelling DPS. It's all random, though, so there's not much you can mess up on the weapon itself - some just suck! Edit: to clarify - when you get your first legendary, you have to have it identified. This process assigns legacies to your weapon (this is the random part). Some people get awesome legacies (+% Fervor damage) some get poop (+Hedge duration - me :( ). You'll get to chose one of two random legacies at reforge at level 10, which can also suck :D

And yeah, you can only have one legendary weapon equipped at once (the one-handers are main-hand only), but there's a lot of really nice offhand crafted and otherwise aquired axes that should work well. I believe you get the choice of an off-hand weapon as part of the chapters of vol 2 book 1. Once you get into Moria or get drops from outsie Moria, you'll probably see quite a few choices to level. There's 6 slots for levelling legendaries for a reason :D Not all of them are good, but at level 11 (after the first reforge) people say it's best to deconstruct. When you do that, you get runes back, to apply to other legendary weapons (I believe). Good guide is here:

http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Legendary_Items_Guide

(Edited many times cause it's early)

Dedian on
    edited February 2009
    Day before yesterday I managed to kill enough orcs to get to teleport to Rivendell, last night I just did the riddle quests, met up with the scholar guild, played delivery boy for Aragorn and just explored the city. It's funny that the city only has like 5 or 6 buildings and that half of those can't be entered, but it still feels like you're in a city of sorts. Also: due to my limited play time I get to feel like I'm really staying in Rivendell for a while, because I log in and log out there without leaving the city limits.

Aldo on
    edited February 2009
    long blurb re: legendary weapons

Man, I hope I understand even half of that shit by the time I get a legendary, because right now it's all Greek to me. :(

Just ding'd 36 and I'm finding it odd that I haven't upgraded weapons in quite a friggin' while. I saw a lvl 42 hunter in the Bree craft hall last night with a lvl 35 req bow that was better than mine. 'Twas called the Carved Lebethron Bow. I'm using a Fine Lebethron Bow right now, and the Carved one is slightly better all-around. So I checked the AH, and there was nothing to be found. Also haven't found anything on there with better DPS than my melee weapons in a long time, either. Although I do love my weapons. I'm still using the Boar-something dagger I got from when a boar randomly dropped a quest item in the form of a tusk, which is admittedly pretty cool. Starting to feel like progress is slowing a bit, though.

Triple B on
    edited February 2009
    The stuff I got from Great Barrows and Garth Agarwen is so much better than crafted gear of lev31 and all quest rewards it makes me kind of sad. I have an 18dps club on lev30, even with the +10% dps from skills to other weapons that places it far above whatever else is available to me.

Aldo on
    edited February 2009
    long blurb re: legendary weapons

Man, I hope I understand even half of that shit by the time I get a legendary, because right now it's all Greek to me. :(

Just ding'd 36 and I'm finding it odd that I haven't upgraded weapons in quite a friggin' while. I saw a lvl 42 hunter in the Bree craft hall last night with a lvl 35 req bow that was better than mine. 'Twas called the Carved Lebethron Bow. I'm using a Fine Lebethron Bow right now, and the Carved one is slightly better all-around. So I checked the AH, and there was nothing to be found. Also haven't found anything on there with better DPS than my melee weapons in a long time, either. Although I do love my weapons. I'm still using the Boar-something dagger I got from when a boar randomly dropped a quest item in the form of a tusk, which is admittedly pretty cool. Starting to feel like progress is slowing a bit, though.

It's still greek to me, but it's greek with glowy's on it that slices stuff.

There's not many wood workers, and those that make high-end crit bows (Carved I believe is the crit or guild bow? Edit: it's a one-time use dropped recipe, so... good luck finding one. The Ornate bow is a guild recipe, so maybe a little better chance finding that.) will probably put them on the AH for way too much. It's a bow though.. gotta get the best!

I think I picked up new crafted swords at... 42? I believe that's the req'd level for next tier of crafted stuff. I'm using this bow now on Dedian:

http://lorebook.lotro.com/index.php/Weapon:Exquisite_Black_Ash_Bow

It shoots fire!

Edit: yeah, if you can get in a group to do some of the instances or fellowship quests, I'm sure some of those rewards would be good. I'd rather not bother, though, and just buy stuff :D Lorebook is fun to putz around in and see what might be available. (lotro.mmodb.com would tell you where you can get it)

Dedian on
    edited February 2009
    Also... 35-40 was really slow for me, have to jump back and forth between a lot of places to get quests around those levels (or maybe I just skipped Angmar)

Dedian on
    edited February 2009
    For a champ you have a choice of one handed or two handed (lots of different weapons to chose from, axe is definately one) and a legendary rune (not as part of the quest, however).

Doesn't the last quest in Vol 2 Book 1 give you your secondary (i.e. class slot) legendary? I know with my guardian, that's when I got my belt.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can only do quest related legendary stuff until you finish said book. My guard went and got his My First Legendary at 45, and then went back to leveling in Angmar and Forochel. When I hit level 10 on the weapon, I reforged and continued wreaking havoc in Angmar and Forochel. When I hit 20, the forge master wouldn't talk to me. So I went and finished Book 1, got my belt, and the option of reforging the level 20 weapon became available.

Simon Moon on
    edited February 2009
    For a champ you have a choice of one handed or two handed (lots of different weapons to chose from, axe is definately one) and a legendary rune (not as part of the quest, however).

Doesn't the last quest in Vol 2 Book 1 give you your secondary (i.e. class slot) legendary? I know with my guardian, that's when I got my belt.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can only do quest related legendary stuff until you finish said book. My guard went and got his My First Legendary at 45, and then went back to leveling in Angmar and Forochel. When I hit level 10 on the weapon, I reforged and continued wreaking havoc in Angmar and Forochel. When I hit 20, the forge master wouldn't talk to me. So I went and finished Book 1, got my belt, and the option of reforging the level 20 weapon became available.

Oh yeah I bet that's the case. I'm at that same spot... reforged and working to 20 before finishing the book (or if I get bored I may go back, but I have a feeling I'll die). Didn't know about the class slot thing, good deal... maybe be worth it to finish the book now.

Dedian on
    edited February 2009

Oh yeah I bet that's the case. I'm at that same spot... reforged and working to 20 before finishing the book (or if I get bored I may go back, but I have a feeling I'll die). Didn't know about the class slot thing, good deal... maybe be worth it to finish the book now.

I didn't even come close to dying in the finale for the book. I'd go ahead and finish it off, get that second legendary going.

Simon Moon on
  • AllchuffedupAllchuffedup Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    yeah i'm not going to even try to read up on that legendary info dedian because i'm so newb it just confuses me even more hah!

on a sad note, I'm afraid 2 friends of mine started playing on one of the servers for new people so I have to play there but I'll try to level up on Landroval when I have time or if they quit I'll be back!

Allchuffedup on
    steam_sig.png
    allchuffedup#1671
    edited February 2009
    yeah i'm not going to even try to read up on that legendary info dedian because i'm so newb it just confuses me even more hah!

on a sad note, I'm afraid 2 friends of mine started playing on one of the servers for new people so I have to play there but I'll try to level up on Landroval when I have time or if they quit I'll be back!

It's early, you all can level here!

And re: the ending of book 1 - yeah, not very difficult at all. It helps that the guy you're "defending" is a kick ass dwarf...

The legendary rune I got is sorta ok. First legacy is +Bracing heal, which I seem to use a lot, but the rest were meh... +Hamstring distance, +Ardour dmg %, and +Glory power gen (or the other way around for the last two) I put another -2% attack duration on the champion rune, so with the first on my sword, it's like I'm in flurry all the time!

Dedian on
    edited February 2009
    I need a huge favor from you guys.

I need you to go on the Auction Hall, and buy up all the pristine hides you can find. Then mail them to Hjartad.

What? What's so funny? Why are you laughing?! Do it now. :x

Triple B on
  • flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Did they ever change the amount of ancient iron you need to GM metalsmithing?

Nothing was more hilarious than having bags and bags full of ancient iron ore and coming out with...maybe one stack of steel parts.

flammiebc on
    Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
    edited February 2009
    flammiebc wrote: »

Nothing was more hilarious than having bags and bags full of ancient iron ore and coming out with...maybe one stack of steel parts.

I went through 2 stacks of ancient iron and 1 stack of dwarf iron and gained about 130 points last night. If you're patient (and a member of the metalsmithing guild), you can trade off time for material through the judicious application of guild crests. Once a week you can make a large crest for 70 points, once every 3 days you can make a medium crest for 35, and once a day you can make a small for 10. You can also use those small crests to make 5 components for the price of one, which cuts down on the resource usage.

I'm pretty seriously considering using the small crests and small crest recipes to slowly build up a supply of cheaply made components, and then 2 weeks from now, I'll finally GM metalsmithing. On the one hand, I could just grind it out and finish it sometime this weekend. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I can do it the long way with just the resources I pick up while questing.

Simon Moon on
    edited February 2009
    ahh, that's cool. I don't even want to remember how many plain pieces of armor I ended up vendoring / giving away...good to know they've made that curve a little less ridiculous. :)

flammiebc on
  • Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    flammiebc wrote: »

I went through 2 stacks of ancient iron and 1 stack of dwarf iron and gained about 130 points last night. If you're patient (and a member of the metalsmithing guild), you can trade off time for material through the judicious application of guild crests. Once a week you can make a large crest for 70 points, once every 3 days you can make a medium crest for 35, and once a day you can make a small for 10. You can also use those small crests to make 5 components for the price of one, which cuts down on the resource usage.

I'm pretty seriously considering using the small crests and small crest recipes to slowly build up a supply of cheaply made components, and then 2 weeks from now, I'll finally GM metalsmithing. On the one hand, I could just grind it out and finish it sometime this weekend. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I can do it the long way with just the resources I pick up while questing.

Interesting.. I'd love to finish metalsmithing. Maybe i'll take a poke at it with this metalsmithing guild thing.

Oddjob187 on
    edited February 2009

I need you to go on the Auction Hall, and buy up all the pristine hides you can find. Then mail them to Hjartad.

I see what you're doing...

Dedian on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So I've been thinking it over and I may decide to return to Middle Earth. WoW has kind of... gotten stale, I think what really hit me is when I realized I got a new time card to get a god damned title. Not to continue raiding, or leveling my alts, but for a title. Most of you probably don't even remember me, I wasn't too active with PA until near the end when I decided to quit. Got a Level ... hm 45 I think Dwarf Champion, on Landroval of course. You guys are still kicking ass there, right? Anyway would it be worth it to return? I enjoyed the leveling, the quests... I liked my class and found the crafting fun. There's a general idea of what was in the game when I left, which was around when the new zone was released before the expansion, anyone got a place that could tell me exactly what new shiny things there are and what has been changed?

I will admit LOTRO is one of my two choices, either return to it or City of Heroes/Villians. LOTRO would put my computer through the works a bit more, but I was able to make it play rather smoothly. I remember the lag in Bree being.... horrible, did they ever figure out a way to lessen that or was it simply because of the amount of people?

I'm rambling now... I guess I should just say impress me :winky:.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    edited February 2009
    If you don't come back, Dedian will kill your cat. :D

I wouldn't say we're exactly "kicking ass" on Landroval, but I was recently able to wrest control of The Barrovian Society out of idle hands, and now we're attempting to put it back to good use. There's definitely a place for you if you want it, and those of us that do play are more than happy to assist however we can.

I don't know exactly what's new since you left, so I'll let someone else take that one. All I'll say is...come on back, man. Come on. You know you wanna. Huh? Come onnnnn....

P.S. if you come back, send a tell to Edros or Hjartad whenever you see either of them logged in. Those are both me, and I'll gladly shoot you a kinship invite.

Also,

I see what you're doing...

Sir, I am obsessively trying to level up my Tailor profession. I mastered expert in the last couple days, and I'd love to be able to call myself Master Artisan at some point during 2009. It...it just requires...so...so very many hides. So many... :cry:

Triple B on
    edited February 2009
    step 1: go to west evendim

step 2: piss off many many bears and cubs

step 3: <insert aoe skill here>

step 4: collect hides :D

I swear I did this for someone after I got my champ to max, but I can't remember who at this point.

Was the kinship house still there? I think I had stopped logging in about the time I ran out of gold to pay upkeep.

flammiebc on
    edited February 2009
    Bah, going to west Evendim involves traversing the Ever-swim. The most convenient spot to grind out pristine hides is a little bit north of Gloin's camp in Misty Mountains. There are 2 clutches of bears (which not only drop pristine hides, but also have an associated deed), and in between are frequently found aurochs of the appropriate level, which will sometimes drop 2 hides. You can fast travel to Rivendell, and then it's just a quick jaunt up the mountain to the spot. Depending on your killing speed, you should be able to manage a stack every 45 minutes or so. The only real downside is that the occasional lurker (which seems to share a spawn table with the aurochs) or snow-beast will get in the way. It must be at least a dozen times now I've been happily killing an auroch to be suddenly smacked in the head by a flying rock.

Speaking of which, mobs with ranged attacks that won't stand still when you're engaging them can die in a fire. Specifically those rock throwers, who just love to run around in circles when you move to within melee distance, preventing you from ever getting in the right spot to actually land a blow or two on them.

Simon Moon on