As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sketchpost. || Sublimus

• SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Todays skethpage. And a second attempt at that other thing. I think Im going to scrap it and start from scratch. Im not good at sketching digitally, for me at least, thing have to start with the pencil.

021.jpg

kracken2.jpg

Sublimus on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sublimus wrote: »
    Im not good at sketching digitally, for me at least, thing have to start with the pencil.

I agree. With a pencil, you have more control over it, plus sketching digitally can lead to bad habbits. Like digitally distorting the line work, to correct the mistakes, rather than actually learning why it doesnt look right.
    I can see that last environment sketch looking cool. Keep going with it.

winter_combat_knight on
    edited February 2009
    Thanks WCK

Today's pages. I should have put more effort into these. :(

022.jpg

023.jpg

Sublimus on
    edited February 2009
    I was hoping to finish this today, but it looks like it will be tomorrow. (Im sort of getting tired of it.)

battlemage4.jpg

Now to do my sketch pages for today!! Will post when done.

Sublimus on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    sublimus every time i read your posts i keep thinkin that you are poorochondriac

Projeck on
    edited February 2009
    A whosawhatsit??

Sublimus on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    edited February 2009
    Oh I see. Hmmmmm. He probably had the avatar first. And I can see how it is confusing. But I like it waaay too much to switch. Just know I stick to the AC, haha.

Sublimus on
    edited February 2009
    Gah. Only had time for one page. My goal is two pages on days I dont have class, one for days I do (outside of any other school work.)

024.jpg

Sublimus on
    edited February 2009
    I didnt get any sketching done today :(:( But I worked on this enough to call it finished.

battlemage.jpg

Sublimus on
    edited February 2009
    Haha. I showed my teahcer the image above and he said 'your drawing has gotten alot better, but there is so much wrong here I dont even know where to start' BUMMER, right?? Oh well, gotta take it in stide and do my best to turn out better works!

Not that this is any good, but I'll post it anyways. Water color, gauche, and digital.

frogsposter.jpg

And todays sketch page.

025.jpg

(He also called my a marko copy-cat! :[ Well really, I guess he was more warning me not to become one actually.)

Sublimus on
  • DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Is that Sokka in that last page? :P

DeeLock on
    edited February 2009
    Haha. No it's not. Though it would be a pretty cool interpretation if it were. I was just doing some research on nomadic peoples, and this was a pic I found.

Sublimus on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Your drawing has gotten a lot better, good job.

Rendering is still a bit wishy washy, both in pencils and paint. With your pencils, slow down a bit more and pay attention to the direction your hatch marks are going. You can create a lot more texture and suggest changing planes just by switching up the direction your hatching goes. You are already doing this to a certain extent, but I implore you to stop and think about what direction every line you're going to make is going and ask yourself if it's helping sculpt out the important forms.

Scosglen on
    edited February 2009
    Thanks for the input Scos! Yeah, I know what you mean about the strokes. I think I just get lazy sometimes, but I could sort of feel the habit breaking in drawing that head up there. Because the rendering is just shitty, haha. And it was a product of my lazyness.

Just one little page from today. Im going to try and embrace some of my weirder thoughts, that I dont normally transcribe to paper.

026.jpg

I have a few things I have been keeping secret. So expect those in the coming days.

Sublimus on
    edited February 2009
    Now I don't consider myself a romantic man, so this is about as close as I could get for my lady-friend.

heart_sm.jpg

Sublimus on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I can't critique this because it's too fucking hillarious, it's even more funny because I just got back from the printers with the cutsey shit I did for my fiancee.

Mustang on
    edited February 2009
    I tried to draw something cute once, and I am in no why lying or exaggerating when I say I literally got nauseous.

That about a year and a half ago, I haven't tried since.

Sublimus on
    edited February 2009
    New environment WIP

hazygraves1.jpg

Sublimus on
  • UrantiaUrantia regular
    edited February 2009
    Nice textures on this! And the color palette is spot on. I'd say that what's in the foreground right now may be overtaking too much of the composition- but I don't know what you plan on adding. Keep going!

Urantia on
    Ignore the above.
    edited February 2009
    Thanks! Im not exactly sure where I'm going with this. I know compositionally its missing something, so I'm going to keep fiddling with that.

Sublimus on
    edited February 2009
    Colors are nice and you're getting atmosphere!

BUT!!! Composition is still boring and uniform. Two big "rocks," basically the same size, balancing out the image but making it very static. Plus, those big black lines are flattening out the image considerably, get rid of those asap.

Keep rocking it!

DeeLock on
    edited February 2009
    Good call DeeLock!

I'm def going to size down the arch thing on the left, and push it cooler to give it some distance. I just have to make sure I give it a sense of scale so it still 'feels' big'.

Sublimus on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Your last posts are looking cool!
    latest one: nice colours. I'd have no idea how to choose a colour pallet like that. It gives the picture a really good mood. I agree with Deelock about the composition. I think if you scale down those larger rocks (on the left) a bit, it will give a greater sense of scale/distance too.

winter_combat_knight on
    edited February 2009
    I'd have no idea how to choose a colour pallet like that. It gives the picture a really good mood.

I'm actually doing some writing on image creation relating to things of that nature if anyone would be interested in it, I'll post it when I'm done.

Sublimus on
    edited February 2009
    Here is a character WIP I have going aswell.

spike1.jpg

Sublimus on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    On that landscape, are you using photoshop with textures?

If not, are you using painter or something of that ilk?

I like the "textured" feel of that.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    edited February 2009
    surrealitycheck: Thanks! Its just photoshop with a few textures I have saved on my comp.

Here is a small update on that guy up there. He is a dragon dentest btw. Not quite as clear as it could be I guess....

spike2.jpg

Sublimus on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I want to shake his hand!

Godfather on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    right.. so this shit is staright off the top of the dome so all Im trying to do is point out what jumped out as glaring anatomy errors to me. Take it with a grain of salt because sans reference my anatomy is a bit shaky

frogsposter.jpg

Kendeathwalker on
    edited February 2009
    Thanks for the draw-over kenny! You're right on about the head area.

Moral of the story: shoot reference! Haha.

[edit] OH - and in case anyone is interested, I did a little work on my website. Slightly changes the banner image to fit on the grid better, and I overhauled my blog so that it is integrated more seamlessly.

Sublimus on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    on your website.. in your title the big whitney misch. Throw your phone number and email in there so its always at the top of the page

Kendeathwalker on
    edited February 2009
    Good Call!

[edit] Done and done. Had to keep it dark so it wasn't too busy up there.

Here it is for the lazy's

banner.jpg

Sublimus on
    edited February 2009
    {Im bumping the images to pg for for easy viewing}

Sublimus on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Birds are cool! Top left birdie is fat :(

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    edited February 2009
    Actually it was like an inflatable sack thing it had.

And yeah, Im really getting into birds, they are neat!

[edit] Images bumped

BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRDS. (And a yak)

027.jpg

028.jpg

Sublimus on
    edited February 2009
    Very awesome :D

The one in the middle of the first page really sells it's three dimensionality and the design is pretty cool to.

Ox head seems disjointed though, neck is too long.

DeeLock on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The one in the middle of the first page really sells it's three dimensionality and the design is pretty cool to.

Exactly what I thought, it has real weight.

Mustang on
    edited February 2009
    Neat! That is one of two I drew from imagination! (All the rest are from a sweet animal book I have)

I've been reading the shit out of it and learning a ton about animals! They are really really interesting. (I was never really all that into animals)

But Im doing studies so that I have a better working understanding of animal anatomy to base creature designs off of.

Sublimus on
    edited February 2009
    It's definitely showing :)

DeeLock on