As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Dailyshow/Colbert Report: "Where Roe V Wade is two ways to get across a river."

• VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Jon's glass-breaking skit was pretty hilarious. I love it when he does those things.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    Jon's glass-breaking skit was pretty hilarious. I love it when he does those things.

I was not expecting the bottle and it seems the audience wasn't either. The glass was obvious, but that freaking big bottle just shattering? That was great.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    and of course, the conveniently placed fish tank as well. That was awesome. I wonder if I can use that bit in my econ class?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited February 2009
    Aegis wrote: »

I was not expecting the bottle and it seems the audience wasn't either. The glass was obvious, but that freaking big bottle just shattering? That was great.

*CRUSH*

"FFFFFFF*CK"

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2009
    That was awesome.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Poor Jon... no Porche!

:D

oldmanken on
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well, Jon just kind of vented in that interview. Barely let Sununu (sp?) speak, and talked over him.

oldmanken on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    oldmanken wrote: »
    Well, Jon just kind of vented in that interview. Barely let Sununu (sp?) speak, and talked over him.

More that the wanted to attack generic Republican/GOP platform rather than get bogged down in specifics or individuals.

moniker on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's nice to see Hodgeman back and in an amusing segment.

Now I've got to buy gifts.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Okay. That was completely unexpected.

Colbert completely dropped character when Eleanor Holmes Norton offered him the key to the city. I don't think I've seen him shocked to the point of completely losing it before. His voice changed, facial expression, everything.

I hope he gets it, too.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The best line out of the Daily Show from Wednesday was, "You're not these guys, these victims of a goose drive-by, you're this dick, who thinks it's funny to go parasailing in a hurricane!"

And the glass bottle routine was glorious.

Henroid on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

*CRUSH*

"FFFFFFF*CK"

I love the bits he does like that, particularly the "I'm just going to quietly sip this glass of wine while watching the news" -> *idiocy* -> PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTWINE EVERYWHERE.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    moniker wrote: »

More that the wanted to attack generic Republican/GOP platform rather than get bogged down in specifics or individuals.

Yeah, I never saw two people who so angrily agreed with each other about almost every point.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    moniker wrote: »

Yeah, I never saw two people who so angrily agreed with each other about almost every point.

It was more like

Sunnunu: GOP talking point
    JS: But <common sense psuedo-populist point that contradicts talking point>
    Sunnunu: Yes thats why <slightly modified talking point or excuse, ie Fannie Freddie>
    JS: BS!
    Sunnunu: I agree with you!

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I thought it was weird that Jon (and especially the audience) though he had made a big point when he said "so you're arguing for government regulation," since that's exactly what Sunnunu said at the beginning.

Bama on
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I thought Jon's interview was heavily edited for time, which made for some awkward flow.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Forar wrote: »

*CRUSH*

"FFFFFFF*CK"

I love the bits he does like that, particularly the "I'm just going to quietly sip this glass of wine while watching the news" -> *idiocy* -> PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTWINE EVERYWHERE.

Personally, I loved the one after that bit:

"I'm just going to watch the news" -> *idocy* -> *Gets out glass & bottle and pours himself a glass* -> *drinks* - > PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTWINE EVERYWHERE.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
    edited February 2009
    Golden Yak wrote: »

*CRUSH*

"FFFFFFF*CK"

"I'm just going to watch the news" -> *idocy* -> *Gets out glass & bottle and pours himself a glass* -> *drinks* - > PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTWINE EVERYWHERE.

Or when he starts drinking the bottle of Jack... and drinks and drinks until there's nothing left.

Then goes *pft*.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Caedere wrote: »

Colbert completely dropped character when Eleanor Holmes Norton offered him the key to the city. I don't think I've seen him shocked to the point of completely losing it before. His voice changed, facial expression, everything.

I hope he gets it, too.

You could tell that she was having trouble too. I wonder if she decided to pretend to be taking him seriously before the first interview of she really got worked up and they called her to ask her to be his nemisis afterward.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Caedere wrote: »

I hope he gets it, too.

You could tell that she was having trouble too. I wonder if she decided to pretend to be taking him seriously before the first interview of she really got worked up and they called her to ask her to be his nemisis afterward.

I've only been watching for a year and I don't get the woman. I've seen her before but why does she hate Colbert. Like really hate.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
    edited February 2009
    As I recall, he had her on Better Know A District and challenged her district's right to exist.

Basically the same as last night.

Forar on
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    He had her on Better Know A District and challenged her district's right to exist, I believe.

Yeah, but he's joking and she's serious. Or a very good actor. I mean you would have to be seriously dumb to think Colbert is for real.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    He had her on Better Know A District and challenged her district's right to exist, I believe.

Yeah, but he's joking and she's serious. Or a very good actor. I mean you would have to be seriously dumb to think Colbert is for real.

She can't actually hate him. I've seen her laugh at some of the more over the top humor, and she KEEPS SHOWING UP. If she hated him, she'd stop answering phone calls. Instead she seems to actually dig the character interaction.

kildy on
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    kildy wrote: »

She can't actually hate him. I've seen her laugh at some of the more over the top humor, and she KEEPS SHOWING UP. If she hated him, she'd stop answering phone calls. Instead she seems to actually dig the character interaction.

Yeah she is definitely in on the joke and playing off him. It doesn't take THAT much acting skill to be able to pull off "being indignant toward the blowhard."

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    tsmvengy wrote: »

Yeah she is definitely in on the joke and playing off him. It doesn't take THAT much acting skill to be able to pull off "being indignant toward the blowhard."

And I must say that I'd make sure to ask whether they'd like me to pretend I thought he was a former radio host or acknowledge the shtick.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The interview from the Thursday Dailyshow was awesome. So was You're Welcome. So much amazing last night.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Golden Yak wrote: »

*CRUSH*

"FFFFFFF*CK"

Or when he starts drinking the bottle of Jack... and drinks and drinks until there's nothing left.

Then goes *pft*.

I love it when he does these sort of gags. I remember one that where he was eating a little ice cream on a cone, they go to the story and some hilariously ridiculous thing happens, they come back and Jon Stewart's sitting there with a like two gallon tub of Ice cream, mint chocolate chip smeared over his face, just scarfing it.

That gag is a staple of the show, damn if it doesn't get me everytime.

Corp.Shephard on
  • TorgoTorgo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »
    tsmvengy wrote: »

And I must say that I'd make sure to ask whether they'd like me to pretend I thought he was a former radio host or acknowledge the shtick.

Being on Colbert's show has probably put forth more interest in her issues than she could have ever managed being a vote-less representative. She appears on the show because it raises awareness of her cause and might lead someone else to talk about the issue. Who else is going to have her on? It certainly doesn't hurt, and she probably doesn't have much else to do.

I enjoy her animosity towards Stephen. If you came across someone that actually espoused his ideas, you'd probably act the same way.

Torgo on
    History is a spoiler for the future. (Me on Twitter)
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm certain that Eleanor Holmes Norton originally thought Colbert was serious, because she was one of the first to appear on Better Know a District

But I'm sure that after that, she got the joke, and was just playing along. And she's really funny and quick witted, so it's always entertaining to see her and Stephen match wits, because you can tell he's having trouble keeping up

I really hope she gives him the key to the city. That would be so boss

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The proper solution would be to rig a prop table so a giant key can be mightily stabbed down into it, then for Stephen to try and yank it out and fail to cries of "You are not worthy!".

Note that I rarely watch Colbert Report, and thus have not seen this particular back-and-forth, so this might not work given the details. It would, however, still be awesome.

yalborap on
    edited February 2009
    yalborap wrote: »
    The proper solution would be to rig a prop table so a giant key can be mightily stabbed down into it, then for Stephen to try and yank it out and fail to cries of "You are not worthy!".

The way he created his persona, that situation would have an infinite number of hilarious options.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • zakkielzakkiel Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The first Colbert/Eleanor Holmes interaction is priceless. Then again, pretty much all of his "Better Know a District" segments are unrelievedly awesome.

I personally got a huge kick out of his escalating Glenn Beck metaphors. "With the Brain Train a-comin', Glenn climbed on the tracks and strapped himself down."

zakkiel on
    Account not recoverable. So long.
  • OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I'm certain that Eleanor Holmes Norton originally thought Colbert was serious, because she was one of the first to appear on Better Know a District

But I'm sure that after that, she got the joke, and was just playing along. And she's really funny and quick witted, so it's always entertaining to see her and Stephen match wits, because you can tell he's having trouble keeping up

I really hope she gives him the key to the city. That would be so boss

I just love the way she says his name.

"Mister Cole-bert." It's always so stern and patronizing-sounding. I also like how she stays in character so well, but at the end she smiles and you can tell she's in on the joke.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
    edited February 2009
    I remember one that where he was eating a little ice cream on a cone, they go to the story and some hilariously ridiculous thing happens, they come back and Jon Stewart's sitting there with a like two gallon tub of Ice cream, mint chocolate chip smeared over his face, just scarfing it.

That gag is a staple of the show, damn if it doesn't get me everytime.

Oh god, I'd forgotten that one. Truly excellent.

Forar on
  • Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Did Colbert get 5 out of 5 for his Oscar predictions again?

He said two choices for Best Actor and Picture, but I believe Penn and Slumdog were his first choices, weren't they?

Bruce Forsyth on
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Exin wrote: »
    Did Colbert get 5 out of 5 for his Oscar predictions again?

He said two choices for Best Actor and Picture, but I believe Penn and Slumdog were his first choices, weren't they?

Yes, he got them all right again.

TubularLuggage on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    He "didn't want" Milk to win, but I guess it still counts.

Magus` on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Will they be doing reruns this week too?

MKR on
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    MKR wrote: »
    Will they be doing reruns this week too?

Well they have no obvious reason to be doing reruns, so probably.

TubularLuggage on
  • TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    They better not be doing reruns, 'cause with the Oscars done, Colbert needs to once again announce:

350px-ICalledIt.jpg

Taximes on
This discussion has been closed.