As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Zune: 23 Months Later

• Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »
    Grammar Nazis up in hurrr.

seriously, some one says "mute point", they deserve to be called out.

It's not an issue of grammar or spelling. It's an issue of using " cliches" without even understanding what the individual words mean.

I'm pretty sure he knew what the "cliche" meant. He used it correctly, just misspelled it. So... it's precisely an issue of spelling.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    "Cut off your nose to Spiderface."

WIN

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Seeks wrote: »
    Grammar Nazis up in hurrr.

seriously, some one says "mute point", they deserve to be called out.

It's not an issue of grammar or spelling. It's an issue of using " cliches" without even understanding what the individual words mean.

I'm pretty sure he knew what the "cliche" meant. He used it correctly, just misspelled it. So... it's precisely an issue of spelling.

before you tell me I'm wrong, read ALL of the words I wrote:
    It's an issue of using " cliches" without even understanding what the individual words mean.

"mute" does not mean the same thing as "moot"

Evander on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I did. I know it's not the same thing, and that they're different words. In his head, he's pronouncing it the same (as in, "moot," not like "mewt"), and just misspelled it. I see people misspell it like that all the time.

I dunno, maybe he did mean it the other way. I'm just assuming not, given the context.

Edit: Actually, this is a pretty mute argument. I resign from it completely.

Hahahahahahaha

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Seeks wrote: »
    In his head, he's pronouncing it the same (as in, "moot," not like "mewt"), and just misspelled it. I see people misspell it like that all the time.

Having heard people say "mute point" out loud on multiple occasions, I am calling bull on your mind-reading capabilities.

Evander on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Who the hell pronounces "mute" the same as "moot"?

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Who the hell pronounces "mute" the same as "moot"?

ESOL students, maybe.

Evander on
  • Options
    unilateralunilateral Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    is there a free program out there to batch convert avi files to zune format?

Windows Media Batch Encoder is a free download from microsoft.com and it converts .avi and .mpg files into the zune format.

unilateral on
  • Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    my father bought me a little 8 gigger for xmas.

this son of a bitch has not left my side since.

Aretè on
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Alright, since Microsoft isn't doing a good job with comericals, I thought I'd toss out some of my ideas for ones that could be funny.

The first, not as good, idea I had was a simple subversion of "iPod is popular and cool" Have two guys sitting somewhere, one with a iPod and the other guy with a Zune. A typical blond girl comes up to the iPod guy, and starts talking vapidly and annoyingly about how cool the iPod is. The Zune guy wanders off, and does a search for other Zune users, and sees another user, and sees a girl who's dressed more...punkish perhaps, and much less annoying. It's kinda a subversion of "iPods are popular, but being obsessed with image is annoying."

The second idea is my better one, Same thing with two guys, but they walk in just as a song is ending. iPod guy says, "Oh, I love this song, I'll buy is as soon as I get home." The Zune guy pulls out his zune, and starts fiddleing. iPod guy asks what he's doing, and Zune guys says, "I'm downloading the song right now." iPod guy says, "You can do that?" "Yah, didn't you know?" End with a kinda listing of all the stuff that Zune can do, focusing on stuff that the iPod can't.

Anywho, i was bored, so there ya go. Anyone else have and good ideas, cause god knows Microsoft dos'nt.

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Those would make for very Apple-ish ads. I'd hate them for the same reason I hate the "I'm a Mac" ads.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    "Wow, you don't care what your kids listen to."

"Huh?"

"That's a zune."

"So what?"

"Well, you know what they say about it..."

"Like what?"

"...I mean..you, ha...it's..."

"That it's made like a brick, can survive being run over and immersed in hot liquids, downloads music on the fly from the official music store, doesn't involve drm, and can trade songs with other zune users?"

"..."

"..."

"I looooove that top!"

[strike]I know drm isn't an issue anymore, whatev[/strike]

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Man, as long as it has Jerry Seinfeld, I'm a happy camper.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The shoe buying ad was amazing.

I really wish they kept them going, I wanted to know what happened.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bentbent Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Anyone know a way I can sign up for a Zune social account from the UK?

I'd imagine it would involve masking my IP or somesuch.

bent on
    sig1.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    You could try using a site like anonymouse.

Of course, sites like those are often stationed outside the US anyway, but... it might be worth a try.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Anonymouse was working great up until the encrypted sign-up page, for which you need VIP anonymouse.

Any other sites like this?

Edit: Okay every other site seems to work in the same way.

bent on
    sig1.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Well, you could try another method of proxy...ing. Honestly, all that jazz is a bit too complicated for me, so I can't be of much further help. I know Firefox has a plugin call ProxyFox, or FoxyProxy, or some shit like that. Maybe that can get you started or something.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Thanks dude, I'll look into that.

Alternatively if someone wants to sign me up for a Zune social account I wouldn't object :winky:.

bent on
    sig1.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Okay I managed to sign up for an account by deleting the languages in firefox and adding EN-US. Then I signed up for an account like normal, with my msn ID.

bent on
    sig1.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    International music licensing and all that is annoying.. :(

You would think that we would finally be able to start to move beyond all this "region" crud.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    PartialartistPartialartist Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So, my computer got aids, so I had to dial it back to zero. No backups, so I lost everything. I'm not worried about my music, since I have the vast majority of it in CD form. What hurts is losing my images. I had a lot of my artwork, plus a ton of reference/inspirational images. My only hope of recovery is the fact that ~95% of them are on my Zune. I don't know if there's a way to get the stuff off the Zune and onto the computer, or if I'll be able to reinstall the Zune software without the sync function wiping everything off the player. Is there anything I can do?

Partialartist on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]PSN : TheIdiomatic
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Say, I tried plugging in my Zune today to add some more music to it but it didn't seem to recognize it. It was plugged in fine, it was charging and everything, but as far as the computer and Zune software was concerned there wasn't anything connected. I'm running the Windows 7 beta so perhaps that may have something to do with it but it was working fine before this so I'm at a loss. Anyone have any ideas?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Say, I tried plugging in my Zune today to add some more music to it but it didn't seem to recognize it. It was plugged in fine, it was charging and everything, but as far as the computer and Zune software was concerned there wasn't anything connected. I'm running the Windows 7 beta so perhaps that may have something to do with it but it was working fine before this so I'm at a loss. Anyone have any ideas?

Maybe something caused a problem with the drivers? You can run the Zune software, I assume, but your Zune isn't being detected.....

Of course, it's hard to say with Windows 7, since it is a beta, but try another USB port and then check under 'Portable Devices' and see if there's still a Zune entry when it's plugged in.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The non-syncing happens to me every now and then. I think it should fix it by either restarting the zune software or restarting your comp.

METAzraeL on

• Options
    edited February 2009
    You may also want to try giving your Zune a hard restart (the key combination escapes me at the moment). If you're like me, you end up leaving your Zune 'on'--either in use or charging--for months at a time, through countless sync cycles. Something's bound to foul up.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I think that's back+up

METAzraeL on

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    K, when I get home I'll try all of that and see if anything works.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So, my computer got aids, so I had to dial it back to zero. No backups, so I lost everything. I'm not worried about my music, since I have the vast majority of it in CD form. What hurts is losing my images. I had a lot of my artwork, plus a ton of reference/inspirational images. My only hope of recovery is the fact that ~95% of them are on my Zune. I don't know if there's a way to get the stuff off the Zune and onto the computer, or if I'll be able to reinstall the Zune software without the sync function wiping everything off the player. Is there anything I can do?

As far as I know, the sync function just copies stuff. It shouldn't remove anything.

And even then, it should only copy stuff that you've told it to copy.

As long as you've got the latest Zune software, you're good to go. It might try to "set up" your Zune if you connect it again, but if you've got the latest firmware, you shouldn't worry. I also presume that the firmware lives in the 300 megs or so of "reserved" space that you're not allowed to use for music n' whatnot, so I guess... bottom line is you should be alright.

That's never happened to me, but whenever things don't sync for whatever reason, I just try syncing them wirelessly. Takes longer, but it usually works - assuming you've taken the time to set up wireless syncing on your Zune software + device.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My zune is sitting, unused, waiting for the Zune Pass to come to canada. The only reason i even got a zune was for the Zune Pass, and i cant even subscribe to it here.

The software was fucking up my music library too so i just stopped using it.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Didn't see this earlier. You lucked out...sort of.

Click on your Zune, and just drag anything you need--video, audio, pictures--onto the PC icon (basically, the reverse of setting up something to sync). It will put everything into it's own folder structure--for MP3s, defined by albums I think--which will be somewhat inconvenient, but you shouldn't have any problems restoring stuff off your Zune. It'll also be added into your blank library (and you can adjust the sync settings accordingly).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So I got one of those Dirt Cheap referb zunes off Woot a while back, and recently lost it in the snow, and then found it weeks later, to find that it still works... kinda.

After using it for a while now (about a week) the sync funtion is pretty much dead. From what I can tell, the connection on the inside of the Zune is borked from being in the snow (I would guess). At first I had to connect it, and then get the wire in the right spot so it would connect and be detected by the PC. Now, all it does is charge.

None of my data is lost. But this pretty much means I can never update my song library, nor can I update my zune firmware.

What I want to know, is if I can ship this thing back for repairs or something. Seeing as how this is a referb from Woot.com I have a good feeling I cant.

Edit: One thing I didn't even consider yet though, is wireless sync! I'll have to give it a shot and see if I can get that to work.

Edit 2: And now after all that... normal sync works just fine... WTF!

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So I got one of those Dirt Cheap referb zunes off Woot a while back, and recently lost it in the snow, and then found it weeks later, to find that it still works... kinda.

After using it for a while now (about a week) the sync funtion is pretty much dead. From what I can tell, the connection on the inside of the Zune is borked from being in the snow (I would guess). At first I had to connect it, and then get the wire in the right spot so it would connect and be detected by the PC. Now, all it does is charge.

None of my data is lost. But this pretty much means I can never update my song library, nor can I update my zune firmware.

What I want to know, is if I can ship this thing back for repairs or something. Seeing as how this is a referb from Woot.com I have a good feeling I cant.

Edit: One thing I didn't even consider yet though, is wireless sync! I'll have to give it a shot and see if I can get that to work.

Edit 2: And now after all that... normal sync works just fine... WTF!

Enjoy your zune, hahahaha.

Leaving it in the snow and then finding it... thats a new one.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Weeks later, and it still works. Fucking rad.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ah, finally, Wireless Sync pays off! And apparently, you can charge the thing, so what the hell, all problems solved.

I myself would be reluctant to replicate the experiment (bury my Zune in my ice maker tray and set it outside, let it melt, etc.), but you should post a picture of your Zune now (I'm assuming you don't have one of your Zune before you lost it, but we can kind of assume what it looked like).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    PartialartistPartialartist Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »

Click on your Zune, and just drag anything you need--video, audio, pictures--onto the PC icon (basically, the reverse of setting up something to sync). It will put everything into it's own folder structure--for MP3s, defined by albums I think--which will be somewhat inconvenient, but you shouldn't have any problems restoring stuff off your Zune. It'll also be added into your blank library (and you can adjust the sync settings accordingly).

Thanks, I'll try that when I get home.

Partialartist on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]PSN : TheIdiomatic
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Yes, if you reinstall the Zune software, and set up your Zune as a guest, you can "reverse-sync" your music back to the computer. Unfortunately, this only copies your music and tags, but it doesn't not copy album art or (iirc) pictures. I am unsure of video.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Yes, if you reinstall the Zune software, and set up your Zune as a guest, you can "reverse-sync" your music back to the computer. Unfortunately, this only copies your music and tags, but it doesn't not copy album art or (iirc) pictures. I am unsure of video.

You can copy video and pictures (last I checked, it will also preserve album art and information in the Zune's own format).

I recently had a glitch overclocking my CPU and had t reorganize certain parts of my library...basically, I accidentally duplicated my Zune video library by copying the content already on the device. So it definitely worked.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    LaCabra wrote: »

Its actually a lot worse then just "in the snow"

We have a 75 degree incline here for a driveway, and my car has a hard time getting up it when its snowing out. Three Weeks ago sunday night I couldn't get up the driveway to save my life. It must have slipped out of my jacket pocket and in to the snow in the drive way. For two weeks it sat there, getting run over by all the cars coming in and out of the house. Two weeks later, I'm coming home from hanging out with friends, and I was just about to walk in the house when I realized I left my cellphone in the car. I turn around and see that a part of my driveway is GLOWING. I walked up to it and looked closer, only to find a big, white, ! blinking in the snow. Sure enough, it was my zune, trying to tell me it was out of power.

I had to dig it out of an inch of ice with a snow shovel. Its all scratched up. But, no broken pixels, no data loss, and now its syncing just fine (where as before it was being a bitch about it).

I guess theres a reason the 30g zunes were bricks with HDDs in them.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    LaCabra wrote: »

Its actually a lot worse then just "in the snow"

We have a 75 degree incline here for a driveway, and my car has a hard time getting up it when its snowing out. Three Weeks ago sunday night I couldn't get up the driveway to save my life. It must have slipped out of my jacket pocket and in to the snow in the drive way. For two weeks it sat there, getting run over by all the cars coming in and out of the house. Two weeks later, I'm coming home from hanging out with friends, and I was just about to walk in the house when I realized I left my cellphone in the car. I turn around and see that a part of my driveway is GLOWING. I walked up to it and looked closer, only to find a big, white, ! blinking in the snow. Sure enough, it was my zune, trying to tell me it was out of power.

I had to dig it out of an inch of ice with a snow shovel. Its all scratched up. But, no broken pixels, no data loss, and now its syncing just fine (where as before it was being a bitch about it).

I guess theres a reason the 30g zunes were bricks with HDDs in them.

Johnny 5 liiiives!

Lucky Cynic on
This discussion has been closed.