As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Contribute On]Degrees

SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Critical Failures
Degrees: The One-Hundred and Ninety Designs for Everything

So everything has to be created. Those who created existence itself were known by many names to those like you or me. The Gods, The Creators, little is known so far as details go. There were more than one of them and they are responsible for our existence, the rest seems a bit trivial.

The first design was a horrible failure. The designers quarreled over everything and before they knew it existence was crammed with an impossible mess of a thousand different ideas all trying to coexist. In a short amount of time everyone had something to complain about so it was agreed that a fresh start was in order. Despite most everyone's best efforts a design just couldn't be agreed upon. What was agreed was that it would be best if everyone just made their own designs and kept them seperate. Of course keeping them seperated didn't last long and that's how we have got where we are today.

Travelling through Degrees isn't all that difficult, at least for someone from the Tenth like myself. Sure it has its risks but so does everything. A lot of numbers got thrown around at first but I'm happy with what they're all saying now. One-Hundred-and-Ninty. That sounds about right.

- B.S. Nyson, The One-Hundred and Ninety Degrees of Everything: A Guide

Degrees is an RPG setting for no particular system that I began working on in December. The idea is that I have tonnes of little ideas and concepts for worlds but I rarely follow them through, this was going to be a dumping ground for all these little ideas and eventually form a ring of existances that could be travelled around.

But then I chose 190 as the number of worlds, or degrees. This is a lot and since the conception of Degrees I've begun work on another project and generally had a busier life, so it's not getting done. I'm opening this project up to you guys because let's face it, we're all pretty awesome.

The Degrees Wiki can be found here and I'd love it if you guys could help me get a short description down for every single degree. Some are done, so leave those as they are, but feel free to add new ones. On top of this each Degree will have it's own wiki page going into more detail, feel free to do this too. Just leave The First Degree to me, as I already have an idea for its history. Besides that you can go nuts.

I'm going away until tommorow so I look forward to seeing what's been dreamed up in my absense. If you're short on ideas perhaps stick your own fantasy setting in there as a Degree. The only real limitations I was thinking of were keepint it somewhat serious but also have Degrees that are light-hearted too. A Degree covered in sentient rocks is ok but I don't want those rocks to be Elvis impersonators or shaped like giant dicks or anything. Also no high-tech stuff, it's all pre-gunpowder. I haven't gone into any depth about travelling between degrees just yet, as I'm not sure how I want that to happen. All I know is that it won't be easy, you'll only be able to travel maybe two or three degrees a day before you have to stop and rest, the process is straining on the body as people aren't supposed to be able to do it. For Joe Average travelling between Degrees isn't a big part of their life and they might only really be aware of the few degrees either side of them. Long Distance Travellers and Mappers of the Degrees are somewhat rare.

As of Monday I'll be in #bombfell if anyone wants to come and bounce ideas with me. Enjoy!

http://degrees.pbwiki.com/
Password: december21

SUPERSUGA on

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I added 27 and 127. Am I doing it right? Hmm...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Good work, although place names like Cockney and Fishtank are about as far as I'm willing to stretch into the realm of comedy on this :wink:

Keep 'em coming.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    But it was fishtank *backwards.* That makes it sound all alieny, right? Right? And I just needed some way to point out that this world is supposed to be a parody of England in particular without actually using those words in the short description (because none of the others seem to compare that world to normal Earth).

It was based on a campaign I was in set in a sort of vauge Earth timeframe, except all the D&D races and monsters existed. We were based in England, but we also went to the Roman colliseum, with gladiatorial contests still going on. Gunpowder, steam, and all those types of technology were just becoming popular over magic. But I just whittled it down to elves, Englishy, magic VS technology.

I'll try to think of some more strange things.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Sounds good. The names are ok, I just don't want every degree to have a wink and a nod to our world.

The rest of you: Get stuck in!

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    113-115

Zombie-ish occurance that is spread to the two nearest worlds. The infected were too weak to go any further, I thought. But I picked a spot with two open areas on either side, just in case.

I noticed after I was halfway done that it was similar to 67. I thought of adding it to one next to that, but I didn't want to infringe on that idea. Hope it's not too close.

Works? Or is it too close to that or are zombies no good? Or is that much travelling by one world not good?

Well, pick and choose what you like. ;)

(Should I be putting Travel and Traveller in capitals like that? I feels like I should.)

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Travel, Traveller, whatever, there's no specific term at the moment. Maybe you just created one.

Having zombies spread across those three is fine, especially as they're three different degrees rather than "ZOMBIES FOR THREE DEGREES FROM HERE". This is about as far as I'd like things like this to be pushed though. I want inter-degree interaction to be somewhat low. Some examples of the level I'm looking at would be 45 and 46's ongoing war, 51 dumping their worst criminals into the hell that is 50 and one of the larger scale interactions is 90 using 91 as an outpost and launching a crusade throughout the others.

I wouldn't worry about stepping on 67's toes, that's really on a much smaller creepier scale rather than full on outbreak. It's not a huge degree and it's mainly creepy abandoned villages that you can probably explore for a while before the locals set upon you.

My Schedule has just freed up somewhat so when I make time I'll start dipping back into this. If you want to start a page for an existing Degree then go for it by all means. I don't think a consistant template is in order as some degrees will require different amounts of explanation and depth to others. An idea I like to use for inspiration is thinking that many of the Gods, Creators, whatever were pretty inept. Some of them have made creations that are much akin to when you first started using an editor for, say, Unreal or Neverwinter Nights but with ultimate freedom. Some would just fuck around and make something marginally retarded and then give up. 62 is an example of someone who never got past their first room, 89 is the guy who made a glitch filled nightmare that just doesn't work and 134 just seemed to have a fixation with creating a really powerful boss and never got much further than his room.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Interesting way to look at it. Think about some eccentric person or a slightly off personality, and then wonder what they might build. Hmmm...

I was trying to keep the mini-description down to just two lines, but those spilled over into three. Hard to summarize it down to such a short sound bite that gets the point across.

I was telling a friend about this, and he said he might take a look. He's the kind to come up with a world or town for an adventure, then only run it once, so he can create a new world for next time.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I added more, again. Some based off my conversation with that friend. 'The Tower of' seemed to fit the idea that these were created by someone or something, that might not be very good at it. They create a giant metal tower, but never finish making an outside to look at the awesome sight. They go into detail on all the cool things at the bottom and top, then get bored and just copy the middle floors over and over with a boring floorplan.

I got the idea from the tower in Wheel of Time, and this crazy skyscraper they're building somewhere in the Middle East. Anyways, how are you doing? Strange that nobody else is interested...or maybe they're adding things and I just don't see it...!

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I added a few more things whilst the forums were down. Most importantly I gave a somewhat vague description of inter-degree travel on the main page and fleshed out a couple of Degrees slightly, The First and Sybra.

I like the idea that if you fuck up the step to the next Degree by either trying to move across too many in one day (the laws of physics don't like you doing it) or just through bad luck, you can end up anywhere. This shall prompt the invention of the D190.

Love The Tower Of, the "create one awesome thing and then... bah, fuck this" attitude seems to be apparent in a few creators and can help explain why every Degree isn't a vast varied universe like our own. I'm determined to get a few huge varied Degrees in there though.

We must be near the halfway point now, I'll count the Degrees later on.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I tried to log-in, but it said that "this wiki doesn't use that password."

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Strange. Maybe it's case sensitive or something? I'll check it out now.

Edit: Wha? All the bolding is backwards on the main page now. Who's this c.john.f that just made some weird formatting changes and put in exlamation marks?

Oh, also password is case sensitive and all in lowercase. Corrected the OP.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hm, so I put a degree in as a test, number 66. Is saying that you only get there through extreme bad luck and you can't leave too much?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I noticed the oddness with the password, but never mentioned it. Because nobody else was posting yet. ;)

I think that would work if it's sorta a weird blip in the way things work. People trying to go from 65 to 66 would instead end up at 67, and vice versa.

I will try to think of more when I am bored...!

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    66 Sounds fine, I wouldn't be so absolute with saying you can't leave though. Perhaps most means of leaving simply won't work and there's a special method to it that's really rather tricky. Perhaps one group controls the only known passage out. The good thing about the setting is that Degree travel isn't particularly common, so news travels pretty slow. Most people on a given Degree will maybe know about the goings on in adjacent degrees and a few of the "important" ones, but a lot of things just don't get spread around. Taking this into account it's even more plausible that there are no stories of anyone escaping, leaving it nice and vague and down to the GM would probably be the best choice here.

It's pretty plausible that the only local means of Degree travel on 65 and 67 (the inhabitants of 67 seem to have turned into ghouls of a sort, but their travelling circles, or whatever, may still be around) simply hop through 66 along with any means posessed by the party themselves. Might be best to think of it like as soon as you're on 66 you've triggered whatever you need to jump to the next degree and you're just there. It'd feel like two jumps but you'd have no chance of "getting off" on 67. Because of this falling would be the only option, as that dumps you anywhere rather than the known destinations of normal Degree travel.

I really hope all that made sense.

Also, Rose, 66 isn't showing up for me at the moment because I did a revert, but I'll copy it across shortly.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    AcidSerraAcidSerra Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    A thought for 66, if you only get their through extreme bad luck, the only way out is through extreme good luck. Thus why people generally tend to have a hard time getting out once in. ^.^ (Just a suggestion)

AcidSerra on
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I added #71. Is that in line with what this all about?

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Sure, 71 seems cool. Think it'll be interesting to see how that one gets fleshed out!

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh man, I was thinking about this earlier today, Ill have to go reading through these to see what we have already and I mght have to make one up.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    This slid down the board and I forgot about it. I might have to think up a few more now...hmm...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Just did #11, not quite sure if I nailed the "tone" your looking for, though.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Thorpe: That's great! The tone's fine, afterall variety is one of the core concepts of this setting. My only real request is that nothing too silly gets in there, as I'm not really trying to make humour a focus.

It seems every time I leave the wiki for a bit it ends up in the weird formatting it's in now. Exclamation marks everywhere and the bolding in the table of degrees gets flipped. The edits are down to a "c.john.f". Is this any of you guys and why?

Edit: Killed the random exclamation marks and weird bolding. Will just have to leave the bold out of the table for now until I can go back into an older version and pull the table from that, adding in the new degrees since then.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    PheraelPherael Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I was bored so I added Maelstrif - #99. If the tone's too, uh, deadly, then feel free to change it. I know that it isn't the most original thing ever but I always found the idea interesting.

Pherael on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've added about a dozen degrees, trying to stick to ideas that I thought really needed their own dimension to work rather than just things that could be put in any part of a pre-existing world. I've only added a separate page for one so far, but I'll work through them in the next couple of days.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    For some reason the link for degree 119 is underlined in red even though it links to an existing page, which makes me wonder how many other degrees have detailed descriptions that I'm missing.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Maelstrif sounds great. Very much in the spirit of what I've been trying to do. Will check yours out shortly, ArBeeBee.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    ArrBeeBee wrote: »
    For some reason the link for degree 119 is underlined in red even though it links to an existing page, which makes me wonder how many other degrees have detailed descriptions that I'm missing.
    That is a little odd. I noticed that one of the links didn't have a red underline but when I clicked on it I still got the "create new page?" section. Unfortunately I'm clueless as to the workings of pbwiki, so looks like we're stuck with trial and error for now.

As added motivation, when all degrees are drawn out I'm planning to run a somewhat experimental one-off session using the setting. It'd be as much for the benefit of the setting as for the players, as I think you need to dive into the world, even in a very unfinished state, to get a proper feel for it and see if any major problems arise. Rules would be as light as I could manage.

I'd roll a D190 to determine the home Degree of the PCs. Rerolls may be necessary.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Holy crap, I need to get in there and finish off some degrees! I really want to try this out, but none of my DM friends feel like it.

So if you do run a one session thing (or if it evolves into a longer thing) then count me in.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm actually a little daunted by the prospect of reaching the "short description for every degree" target, even though we've a fair bit to go, as the next step is padding out each one enough for it to be useable. Bit of a huge task there.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Ok, I was gonna add a degree or two, but I have no idea what Im doing. Is there like a little walkthrough for editing wiki's somewhere? Cause Im kinda lost, heh.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Well, when you're on the main page (linked in OP) just hit the edit button. Then go down to the big list of Degrees and add away! Highlight the name of the Degree and click the hyperlink button, linking it to a (yet unmade) page with the same name. Then when we want to flesh out each Degree the links are already there.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Ok, what do you think of #79?

#75 is one my friend did. The page for it has her listed as the "author" I guess would be the right term.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Added number 140.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    All good! Keep it coming.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    did #5, this is pretty fun.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I've added detailed descriptions for 60, 64, 124 and 186. Is this the sort of stuff you're looking for? I went semi-light-hearted for 60 and 64 and more serious for the other two.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    ArrBeeBee, those are great, seems like you've definitely got what I was going for with the overall theme but have given each degree it's own feeling too. I like your use of quotes from B.S. Nyson's guide too, it's almost becoming the Hitch Hiker's Guide of this setting. I'm finding myself becoming more inspired by sci-fi settings like Star Trek for this setting than the traditional fantasy stuff. I think it's the idea of having all these unknown worlds to explore.

Also, depending on how the Myth thread works out I may try and rip it off (with permission) and use it as a degree. The idea of multiple gods creating a world may go against the setting but I could easily explain that away by stating that the "mini-gods" that we play are merely splinters of the same God. Yeah, that works.

I've also decided on an awesome way to begin a game, so I'm spurred on to create more degrees today. I'm going to try and fill all the gaps from 180 to 190 to get the back-end completed.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Added a description for #79 The Grid. Feel free to add more or whatever, dunno what all you want for these.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    By my count we have around 60 to go. Grab 'em while you can!

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Added #12.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Added 9, 14 and 15, with 9 getting a page too. The gaps are looking sparse now :).

Will flesh out 14 later on, it may or may not be horribly tacky but I've got some cool ideas for the relationship between 14 and 15. Guess you can't pick your neighbours.

SUPERSUGA on