As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PHOTO] Bells! Batman Smells!

• Options
    tranquilitytranquility Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    gilrain wrote: »
    Your thumb might be in-photo. And I think a dog got hold of your negative. :P

Just kidding. The idea of the film framing its own photo is sort of neat, but the photo itself doesn't do too much for me overall.

LOL this is the last shot my camera ever took. The film got caught in it and ripped when I was trying to pull it out. The 'thumb' is actually an overexposed bit of film.

The photo was taken for an assignment to capture another era within our own society today. This is supposed to represent the Great Depression.

I thought that being ripped/smudged added to the theme, so I kept it.

tranquility on
    eek.
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Jake! wrote: »
    I always do an unsharpen mask on my photos after resizing. *shrug*
    I don't. I use smart sharpen, because the results are better, although occassionally I forget. :P
    Because its 700 dollars and if you get a refurbed 5dm1 its 1,150 dollars more. When you have a hard time justifying spending $1,550 on a camera body spending a grand more for what....video, a few more megapixels - seems a might ridiculous. Nothing thats really exciting or revolutionary IMO.

Double the pixels, three stops of ISO, faster continuous shooting, self cleaning sensor, better noise reduction (DIGIC 4 rather than DIGIC 2), etc, etc, etc. Although it might not be worth it to you, that doesn't mean it has no features making it worthwhile to anyone. I can understand buying a refurb, or a second hand (although I've seen the 5d mkI new here for less than the refurb price in the US), but not a new one.

Also, I don't have a hard time spending $1,550 on a body; the MKI seems crazy expensive for what you get compared with the MKII, if you want clarification.

edit: also, how do you miss an entire creek running through your back yard?
    I've heard the extra stops of ISO aren't even very good and are pretty easy to replicate with the original 5D just by pushing exposure, I don't care so much about the extra resolution - 12.8mp is plenty for now, and the self cleaning sensor isn't very effective so you're left with digic 4 which is the only thing I would really want out of the mkII. So it definitely was not worth twice as much for me. That said, if I had $2,700 lying around I would have just gone for it but on a tight budget the mk1 makes more sense.

And my backyard is sort of a national park so it's pretty big.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Six, I'm curious, what was your PP process for those HDR shots? I would have expected a far more intelligible foreground in an HDR manip. Also, those fog shots are interesting because of the fog, but I tend to think that that is the only thing that is interesting about them. With a strong composition the fog could add an entirely new dimension to a shot making a pretty killer photo.

Saltiness, congrats on the new camera. The 5D series is really outstanding and a tool I'm sure you will employ with the same skill you put into your photography in general. The creek is... okay, but I think you should have gotten your feet wet in exchange for a more interesting point of view.

Jake!, You're very lucky to have the model that you do. She seems to respond well to the camera and seems to put in a concerted effort that leads to often interesting expression and body language. Out of curiosity, I like the angle of her face in both of those photographs, but did you try either with her looking directly into the camera? I think you could make a pretty powerful expression with accusatory, melancholy or even lustful tones depending on the mood of the shoot. Also, I enjoy the lighting scheme and think it could play equally well into a BW composition if the shadows were just a hair's breadth deeper. As is, excellent work.

Here are a few things from not-so-recently that I've been working on in my downtime.

Not sure on the foreground on this one.
    This-1.jpg

Perhaps a little too deep in the shadows?
    That.jpg

And a black and white just to get towards tonality and away from ludicrous colors.
    These.jpg

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Uncle Long wrote: »
    Six, I'm curious, what was your PP process for those HDR shots? I would have expected a far more intelligible foreground in an HDR manip. Also, those fog shots are interesting because of the fog, but I tend to think that that is the only thing that is interesting about them. With a strong composition the fog could add an entirely new dimension to a shot making a pretty killer photo.

I compltely agree that they would be much better shots with a better composition. I took them from a balcony with an 18-55 lens, so my composition options were limited. I could have gone wider, but they would have been even more boring, I think. Basically, I focused on buildings that provided a little bit of interest in the absence of any better options.

As for my process on the HDR, I took a 3-shot ABR bracket in RAW and improted them into photoshop. From there I using the automated HDR combine, then downsampled them to 16-bit using the equalizing histogram option.

I really have no idea what I'm doing with them. HDR is something I'd like to do, but I'm not putting a lot of time or effort into it now. It was kind of like, "hey, let's take 3 shots and see what happens."

I'm really impressed with the shots you posted.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh, and the sun it setting right now. Guess what you get to see more of tomorrow!

Six on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Six wrote: »

As for my process on the HDR, I took a 3-shot ABR bracket in RAW and improted them into photoshop. From there I using the automated HDR combine, then downsampled them to 16-bit using the equalizing histogram option.

I really have no idea what I'm doing with them. HDR is something I'd like to do, but I'm not putting a lot of time or effort into it now. It was kind of like, "hey, let's take 3 shots and see what happens."

Okay, well HDR can kind of go one way or the other (completely horrible cartoonish photo --> indistinct from a 'standard' photo). The key, I guess, is looking at where the capability would best be used. With HDR you can pull out far more detail from a shaded area while retaining all the detail in the sky, for example. HDR can give you a lot more freedom in the dynamic range of a photo, but is easily pushed beyond the limits of my personal taste. You played it pretty neutral with those shots, which is okay, but the next time you get to blending, perhaps consider giving the foreground a slight boost in exposure?

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, the shots I'm taking now I'm not really sure lend themselves to the technique. I have very little interest in the shadows of these particular shots. I was hoping I'd catch more of the sunset, I guess? I'm really not happy with how any of them came out, but it was good experience.

I'm enjoying going a bit overboard with the colors right now. I just got a bunch of prints of shots I took earlier in the week, and it's really nice to see physical evidence of my new hobby. There's something about having prints in my hand that makes the whole thing feel real and fun.

Six on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, the shots I'm taking now I'm not really sure lend themselves to the technique. I have very little interest in the shadows of these particular shots. I was hoping I'd catch more of the sunset, I guess? I'm really not happy with how any of them came out, but it was good experience.

I'm enjoying going a bit overboard with the colors right now. I just got a bunch of prints of shots I took earlier in the week, and it's really nice to see physical evidence of my new hobby. There's something about having prints in my hand that makes the whole thing feel real and fun.

Especially if you have a print shop nearby that does a really good job! Nothing is more frustrating than getting a large print back from the shop that is overall subpar and having to hand it off to a client before you can get a reprint.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Especially if you have a print shop nearby that does a really good job! Nothing is more frustrating than getting a large print back from the shop that is overall subpar and having to hand it off to a client before you can get a reprint.

I'm using Snapfish. Should I look for a local place? 4x6's are 9c, 8x10's are $3.

Six on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I'm using Snapfish. Should I look for a local place? 4x6's are 9c, 8x10's are $3.

If they're doing a good job then why mess with a good thing?

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

If they're doing a good job then why mess with a good thing?

Well, I thought maybe the more experienced here might say something along the likes of "Internet printer are shit!" or "nternet printers are good, don't worry!"

Or maybe something in between.

In any event, I just got a 16x20, a couple of 8x10's, a 5x7, and a bunch of 4x6's of stuff I took earlier this week, and I love them. I've oredered a ton of 4x6's from them before and been very happy.

Six on
  • Options
    GoshingaGoshinga Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    3276878603_7c2fb4ee11_o.jpg

For some class assignment.

Goshinga on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Two pictures that make me think, "Yay! Beach!"

20090213-IMG_3664.jpg

20090213-IMG_3686.jpg

And two pictures from today's sunset that I liked a lot:

20090213-IMG_3741.jpg

20090213-IMG_3748.jpg

The two dots in the sky in the last picture aren't lens flare - they were actually in the sky, which is why I took the picture.

Six on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    20090213-IMG_3741.jpg

I really like the isolation in this shot a lot.

anable on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Shot of dagookfather workin' his stuff from the fashion show we were at tonight. I'll probably have everything processed and posted Sat or Sun.

dagookfather.jpg

Buwhahahah now the internet knows what the back of your head looks like!

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    IMG_8368.jpg

erisian pope on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The two dots in the sky are sun dogs (parhelion), and are always fun to see. And relatively rare. I am not sure how best to capture them in a photo. Yours is pretty drastically underexposed.

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The two dots in the sky are sun dogs (parhelion), and are always fun to see. And relatively rare. I am not sure how best to capture them in a photo. Yours is pretty drastically underexposed.

Bringing them out in the color version wasn't giving me good results, so I thought I'd see how it looked in B&W:

20090213-IMG_3748-2.jpg

Six on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Another stab at the sun dogs in color. I love the colors, but I think the photo works better in b&w because of the texture in the sky.

20090213-IMG_3748-3.jpg

Six on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ok time for a wall of photos from a fashion shoot on Thursday for Illiterate Magazine.

3278804921_fc1f22e3a0_o.jpg

3278804925_5ce4b080a6_o.jpg

3278804923_2deb6f094d_o.jpg

3278806491_67b8d07813_o.jpg

3279621760_9123bb3fe6_o.jpg

3279613238_11901e0c7c_o.jpg

More as always up here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff25rs/

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ok time for a wall of photos from a fashion shoot on Thursday for Illiterate Magazine.

1) http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3403/3278804921_fc1f22e3a0_o.jpg
    First image of yours that I've really liked. Cool!

Virum on
  • Options
    CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Bringing them out in the color version wasn't giving me good results, so I thought I'd see how it looked in B&W

If you want to take some great photos of sundogs, look no further than your local arctic tundra!

Seriously though, I took these a while back in my pre-DSLR days, so they're a bit noisy and the composition well....sucks. But it's pretty neat to see just how elaborate the phenomenon can look:

DSCF1625.jpg

DSCF1649.jpg

So I'm having a hell of a time getting the desire to go out and photograph anything these days. I'm not sure if it's the whole winter dreariness setting in, or the fact that it's either dark or I'm indoors at work all the time these days, or just hitting one of those several-month-long photography "walls".

I even bought a shiny new camera bag/backpack for some hiking trips and such (The Kata 3N1, which I'd highly suggest to anyone who's considering it), but I've yet to use it at all. Blagh. What does everyone else do in situations like this? Ride it out? Try something completely new and different to see if you can jumpstart the creativity again? I'd love some suggestions.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    IMG_8368.jpg

I love this. Works great in black and white.

anable on
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Likewise; did you do anything special to bring out the flower, or was it a straight greyscale conversion?

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    dagookfatherdagookfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Pope: What a beautiful decaying flower. I would almost buy a flower shot from you, and I hate flower shots.

dagookfather on
  • Options
    SpursSpurs Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    IMG_8368.jpg

This is an awesome picture.

Spurs on
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thanks, dudes.

Crawdadio - I shot it with my flash on at low power, to make the flower pop some, and when I converted to black and white I used a Channel Mixer adjustment layer in Photoshop and adjusted the channels until I got maximum separation between flower and ground. Then I saved off this low-res jpg and forgot to save the hi-res psd, so I'll have to redo it. D'oh!

CommieCow - I like #s 3 and 5 because they have the most subject-isolation in them. I am a far cry from being a fashion photoggrapher, but I seem to like those of your shots where the background is unnoticeable or else where the background compliments the subject. #3 especially is noteworthy, because the background is as visible in it as in the others, and yet somehow (probably lighting?) your subject is more seperated from it than in the first two. I think that's a real accomplishment that you should try to re-capture when possible. Of course, I could just be talking out my ass :-)

Six - I agree with Anable - neat boat shot. The blown highlights make the shot for me.

Goshinga - It's well focussed, good colors, and nice use of DOF. I don't know the guy and the picture doesn't give me any context, so to me it's just a well executed picture of some guy. But it is well done.

erisian pope on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Another shitty attempt at hdr!

skyhdrweb.jpg

And my amazing girlfriend:

kristin15web.jpg

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    dagookfatherdagookfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mayhem: The HDR process you are using is creating a ton of hue shifting. I think you're trying to get better tonality out of colors, not change them altogether.

Here's CommunistCow directing things at the shoot we did on Friday. It was really fun to meet someone from the forums, and hearing Jeff yell, "I need to use more strobe, ya got any?" was comforting ;).
    JeffyFryer.jpg

dagookfather on
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Salti: The last book I worked on was a little smaller than 2/3rd A3, (250mm x 500mm spreads + bleed). Did it with a 400d, but it was a pain in the ass when I had to do a full double. Granted you'd have trouble getting a 300dpi image from a mkII in that same format, but 20mp is of worth to me.

long: cheers, how's this?
    long.jpg

I love the sense of space in that last shot. With the first, I'd clone out the grass on the right. I agree with you on the foreground, and it's a pity because with a little more of the flowers showing it would be a cracker.

Cow: the first shot is easily the best, love the expression.

pope: love it, I love this different take on beauty from your usual style.

mayhem: If you want to go for the super saturated, high contrast on that last shot, I'd at least bring the chin back.

snowtree.jpg

lakecliff.jpg

clones.jpg

dock.jpg

Jake! on
  • Options
    SpursSpurs Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Salti: The last book I worked on was a little smaller than 2/3rd A3, (250mm x 500mm spreads + bleed). Did it with a 400d, but it was a pain in the ass when I had to do a full double. Granted you'd have trouble getting a 300dpi image from a mkII in that same format, but 20mp is of worth to me.

long: cheers, how's this?
    long.jpg

I love the sense of space in that last shot. With the first, I'd clone out the grass on the right. I agree with you on the foreground, and it's a pity because with a little more of the flowers showing it would be a cracker.

Cow: the first shot is easily the best, love the expression.

pope: love it, I love this different take on beauty from your usual style.

mayhem: If you want to go for the super saturated, high contrast on that last shot, I'd at least bring the chin back.

snowtree.jpg

lakecliff.jpg[IMG][/img]clones.jpg[IMG][/img]dock.jpg[IMG][/img]

Thats is one fine picture, nice scenery.

Spurs on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    dock.jpg

I like this shot. Did you use a GND filter?

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    3281011280_6a41649baa_o.jpg

3277852431_111a4a5b7d_o.jpg

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Love that first picture, ED. "Where the Hell is he? I don't have time for this shit!"

...says a 7 year old.

Six on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    And my amazing girlfriend:

kristin15web.jpg

It is amazing that your girlfriend has no nose and no chin!

Just bring your post processing back a bit so that we can still see her features. Otherwise, I like the over-saturated style. But then again, I often get yelled at for it. ;)

Also if I were to touch up any part of the photo, maybe lighten the bags under her eyes (which will probably pop out more if you bring back the features).
    saltiness wrote: »
    dock.jpg

Love love

----

3273691176_1afda87f4f_o.jpg

3272871559_45c8e7e213_o.jpg

Sheri on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    dock.jpg

this really is fantastic, every time I look at it I find something different that's lovely

Sheri, I like the first one, poor broken-hearted glasses on the day after Valentine's Day

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Photos from the fashion shoot dagookfather and I were at:

3283223051_cdfc611351_o.jpg

3283223037_0907788be7_o.jpg

3283223045_249e36f090_o.jpg

3283220375_4ebabb3150_o.jpg

3283216341_41dd63357d_o.jpg

3283216363_205082d444_o.jpg

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Cheers guys. Salti: no GND, the day was completely overcast, and the tops of the posts were that colour. An alternate angle;

dock2.jpg

shootthegoose.jpg

wtfgoose.jpg

geese.jpg

sheepy.jpg

Jake! on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Love that first picture, ED. "Where the Hell is he? I don't have time for this shit!"

...says a 7 year old.

It was quite disturbing. All night we were trying to figure out what was going on; it wasn't until she stood up to leave that we saw the "truth". I was very saddened. She basically had on a zebra print pimp-coat, and a sparkle motion bikini. That was it. Other than the painted whores face of course.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ED! wrote: »

...says a 7 year old.

It was quite disturbing. All night we were trying to figure out what was going on; it wasn't until she stood up to leave that we saw the "truth". I was very saddened. She basically had on a zebra print pimp-coat, and a sparkle motion bikini. That was it. Other than the painted whores face of course.

What did you expect and why were you saddened? o_O

Aldo on
This discussion has been closed.