As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I draw stufffffffff AND PAINT!! (NSFW STUFFZ AND NSF56K)

124»

• Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    crawdaddio wrote: »
    Like I said, after the one-minute mark, I would just not call it a gesture, and simply call it a pose; could be that's what the teacher meant for it to be, in which case the object of it would transition from gesture to whatever else.

Double true.

Loom: Looks like all those box drawings payed off. I can really see the thinking transferring over to your one minute gestures. Now that you seem to understand how the large masses are moving, the next step is to get in the nitty gritty and study bones and musculature.

You have the large masses down, but they aren't at all correct in their shape or form. Learning the underlying structure will help you there!

You have a good work ethic, and that is basically all you need in order to succeed.

Sublimus on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sublimus wrote: »
    You have a good work ethic, and that is basically all you need in order to succeed.

Just make sure to understand the concept behind what you're doing first before going crazy. It is vital to your success.

Godfather on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thanks, I have already learned a figure (Standing completely upright and still) muscle and bone, but I'm having a great deal of trouble applying this to when there dancing about. I'm not sure what to be crazy with so i'm currently working very slowly in my sketchbook with attemption to convert with what I understand in the box figures into Cylinder/more organic figures.

Edit: Also our model had a HUGE body and skinny legs/arms it was rather strange.

I'm going to do a hand study soon and perhaps see how this practice goes with gestures/Poses I think I learned what I needed to learn with these box figures and will draw them a bit less but still sometimes.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Anyways, yada yada sketchbook spam with more figures BLAH BLAH I think I got it with the figure a bit. My teacher in life drawing gave me my first assignment for the semester (Oh boy!) these things are usually assigned every week then due by monday (A few of the things I got on the front page where quick to long assignment sketches)

ANYWAYS! Since its the first assignment she made it relatively easy, draw 10 figures, and she looked at me and said "dont do the box people" and I whent OKAI! So I whent into my sketchbook I filled a few pages over on trying to convert the block people into moderately normal people and this is the abomination I got for the assignment.

IMG_0455.jpg

Edit: It was a big ol peice of paper so everything is so tiny I can take closer up shots of segments if people want to look at them more closely.

It was neat I messed up on the torso on the second on on the top left side, made it to long, But I kept going back and fourth studying the form in my sketchbook and applying block figure in specific parts before wrapping it in a body to get the bends correct and over time I got use to drawing the figure without relying on the boxes

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    faaa la la... So Anywho I have a english report thing I need to type of for english class WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! But I decided to sketch some instead I was curious how I would do without using my hand as reference and drawing from just memory I kindaaa like it I dont know they where like 5 minutes each.

IMG_0456.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

Edit: I'll probably just use my hand as reference from now on though there kinda sloppy

oh and yah

IMG_0459.jpg

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    channerhewittchannerhewitt __BANNED USERS new member
    edited February 2009
    Hey, I looked at your work and it really amazed me...nice :winky::winky:

channerhewitt on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    woah I'm making people make accounts now woohoo

Edit:................. And then he proceeded to get himself ban within 5 seconds afterwards. Well, shows about what type of people I seem to attract.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Life drawing is fun, to bad I cant bring any of my paintings home yet to take purty pictures of them and post them here.

WE DIDDDD contourr and lots and lots of poses. It's so fun my teachers so neat, she's so funny

20 minutes
    IMG_0484.jpg

30 seconds
    IMG_0485.jpg

30 seconds
    IMG_0486.jpg

30 seconds
    IMG_0487.jpg

3 minutes each
    IMG_0489.jpg

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Now that there contour is pretty good, man.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    thanks I like doing contour lines because I get to make it look all staticy electricity like. Except I forgot to put in the chair the arm is resting on so it just looks like the arm shrinks and then grows

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Practice some blind contours while you're at it.

It always helps me whenever I get stuck drawing various curves of the form.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It was another 20 minute I whent at the speed of a snail it's kinda funny though I made his head BIGG then his little chest/boob thing is super duper tiny, then his arm became HUGEEEEEEE!

Edit: and he has a Renn and stimpy mouth

IMG_0490.jpg

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have no idea what the fuck that is?

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It is me being retarded with a blind contour line :<

But it looks more to me like the side of a continent or something.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    No, you're doing fine.

Blind contours are supposed to look like that at first. Once you train your eye to move with your hand you'll be able to accurately draw what you see, thus removing the need to look at your paper and focus on your subject when you're drawing from life.

To be honest there's no real point in posting these though. They are strictly technical exercises.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    oh okay

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    WTF LOOMDUN DID SOMETHING IN COLOR?!?!

yay this is my first time ever using oil paints it was a real quick 3 hour painting it was really fun, I took it home because I wana complete it and make it super neat looking

IMG_0495.jpg

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Lookin good Looms, no real crits at the moment.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh look stuff, Making little dancing people is really really fun now.

IMG_0491.jpg

(was drawing while walking)
    IMG_0498.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0499.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Nice improvements across the board, loom.

There may be hope for you yet. :)

Sublimus on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    woohoo

Edit: my personal goal is to catch up to ND/Bacon/Cake in this semester to end of next semester. Which means I may have to pick up a little bit more pace then I'm already keeping.

But I do keep myself from showing ALL of my work/progress. It would just be redundant and recharge to much camera battery. I feel I'm showing enough to show growth without overflooding.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That is an unrealistic Goal. Just keep doing what your doing. It takes years man, not months.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    You can't be serious Loomdun.

Try five years, then we'll talk.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Well, I did not say I would be better. Obviously not, but I do firmly beleive from looking into all of the dates, of my little library of sketchbooks hee, the time and how much was learned that I will have fairly caught up near the end of my next semester at most.

Edit: I hope that does not sound rude but that is all it seems like for now with what I can make out.

I mean I'm looking over dates, this was a 30 minute drawing 9 months ago, and this thread is 3 months old
    IMG_0514.jpg

Edit: oops I forgot the # may was so I placed 5 instead of 9 :<

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    No Loomdun, you won't.

Something you'll learn is that progress is slow. I've been drawing for three years now, and i've still got eons to go before i'm close to their level.

Cake not only had a seriously dedicated work ethic, but constant guidance by top level professionals in the industry, probably five days a week for a good eight hours. Nightdragon has been rocking it for as long as I can remember, and she is constantly experimenting, pushing her own boundaries of her knowledge so she can become a better artist.

I've followed the progress of this thread, and to be blunt at this rate you'll be in no condition to catch up with them anytime soon. In fact, you'll most definitely catch up to them faster if you just worry about putting one foot in front of the other instead of trying to surpass your heroes. Right now it just sounds like you're being a little naive. How old are you, seventeen? Eighteen?

I used to think like this when I was first starting out. But as you go through the motions you'll realize the scale of what you're trying to take on, and it'll dawn on you that it's going to take a hell of a lot more than a few sketches, a couple of years and some box studies to get to where they are today.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Well being a silly little ol boy I'll try at my pace and perhaps a bit more and see how that goes. I'm sure though your right and I'll realize it in the next few months though.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    <smacks forehead>

Man shit you mean I could have progressed that fast if I had just thought to work hard? Holy shoot, why didn't I think of that?? All I've been doing for the last 10 years is drawing magic marker tattoos on my beer gut while watching old reruns of Kung Fu.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Out of interest Angel, how old were you when you started drawing?

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    If you mean just in general, I've always drawn, just like every other school kid who doodles shit. But if you mean when did I start going 'ok this is what I want to do for a living, better get some books and get down to business', probably around 14?

Not that I've progressed at the fastest possible rate or anything, but I certainly haven't been resting on my laurels for the last 11 years.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Im pretty sure that when they conducted the ultra sound you could see drawings on the insides of his mothers womb.

You have to start that young in order to have a chance at making it.
    edit: fuck bacon beat me to the response..

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If you mean just in general, I've always drawn, just like every other school kid who doodles shit. But if you mean when did I start going 'ok this is what I want to do for a living, better get some books and get down to business', probably around 14?

Not that I've progressed at the fastest possible rate or anything, but I certainly haven't been resting on my laurels for the last 11 years.

I'm just interested, as I recently decided to take up drawing semi-seriously as a hobby at the ripe old age of 21. I was sitting in a lab doing some extremely tedious biochemistry and realised that I didn't actually want to do this as a job, at all :/

Not that I have expectations of being able to draw for a living, but it does very much seem that almost everybody I talk to who's good started young. I was always put off because I used to have an incredible complex about doing things well - I would simply give up if something wasn't perfect the first time, and this made drawing unrewarding for me as I thought everything I did was worthless.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh, I don't think it's necessary at all to start super young; I didn't really start drawing seriously until I was around 20 (*looks at his drawings*...maybe I'm not the best example, though); At any rate, Loomy, there's no doubt you've made some serious progress so far, and that it's because you've been working your tail off. The thing is, though, the better you get, the harder it becomes to improve, which is the case in pretty much any endeavor for which you'd like to learn something.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    you totally don't have to start young at all. realistic goals, discipline, and the right instructional guidelines (through books, professors, etc.) are all anyone needs to be able to draw at a self-satisfactory level. To be able to do it for a living is another story (more about who you know than anything, more than half of professional comic artwork shows that).

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I'm just interested, as I recently decided to take up drawing semi-seriously as a hobby at the ripe old age of 21. I was sitting in a lab doing some extremely tedious biochemistry and realised that I didn't actually want to do this as a job, at all :/

Not that I have expectations of being able to draw for a living, but it does very much seem that almost everybody I talk to who's good started young. I was always put off because I used to have an incredible complex about doing things well - I would simply give up if something wasn't perfect the first time, and this made drawing unrewarding for me as I thought everything I did was worthless.

Getting started at an older age is tough, but that's not because of the age itself, just the environment that will surround you at such an age- gone are the days when you had hours and hours of free time where you are simply free to draw, because you have to worry about work/school/payin' bills/keeping the missus happy/going to AA meetings/whatever.

Also on the perfectionism bit, probably the only reason I got ahead at drawing was because it was the one subject where I was allowed to make mistakes...I'd probably be a hell of a lot smarter/happier if school/my parents had more of a "let's fix your mistakes and get better" mentality than a "90%? You're wrong and you're an idiot!" mentality.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Also on the perfectionism bit, probably the only reason I got ahead at drawing was because it was the one subject where I was allowed to make mistakes...I'd probably be a hell of a lot smarter/happier if school/my parents had more of a "let's fix your mistakes and get better" mentality than a "90%? You're wrong and you're an idiot!" mentality.

Heh. I was cursed with being told that I was basically a genius from the age of about 3, and this meant that I ended up not trying at anything, as anything other than doing amazingly well was looked at as failure by my parents. It's kind of astonishing how in hindsight that stuff is absolutely crushing. I never did homework, I never revised, I never made any effort at all - because if I tried and failed, that was it.

But even now, I have to struggle not to delete everything I do after 5 minutes. On the bright side, I'm a student for another year and half - and given that in the UK attendance at lectures isn't mandatory, I do have a pretty large quantity of free time!

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png