As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I traded the [chat] for it back in town!

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I saw some people talking about how apparently The Cable Guy is considered a cult classic now.

What? Seriously? That movie was awful. Awful and uncomfortably weird. I really hate it when terrible movies somehow become classics.

Ludious on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Speaking of Shakespeare, anyone with Netflix should check out In Search of Shakespeare. It's in their streaming dohickey so you can watch it on your PC or 360.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • DoxaDoxa Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Have any of you read those Series of Unfortunate events books? Utter crap. The movie is maybe a 7/10 but given the source materiel they were starting with a -1000. Pretty damn impressive.

I read the first one because it was the fad in middle school or something. I never read another one. The book uses reverse psychology to cover for lacking everything. "You want to read on? Well it gets a little sad and scary, no one would really want to read on. Oh so you do want to read on? Well I warned you." I don't know why anyone would make a movie out of it.

After that I began just reading authors I heard are great "according to adults". The funny thing is when I started reading Slaughterhouse-5 a little early. I was just like o_O for much of the book. I got the real humor a couple years later.

Doxa on
    edited February 2009
    Tav wrote: »
    Have any of you read those Series of Unfortunate events books? Utter crap. The movie is maybe a 7/10 but given the source materiel they were starting with a -1000. Pretty damn impressive.

They were cool when I was 9. I have all 13 of them up on my shelf as a nice piece of nostalgia.

Dude, never re-read them. I was in college when the first one came out but didn't read em until a couple years back.

Terrible. Especially compared with other books aimed at the same audience. Even Harry Potter is a masterpiece of technical skill compared to those books.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

They were cool when I was 9. I have all 13 of them up on my shelf as a nice piece of nostalgia.

Dude, never re-read them. I was in college when the first one came out but didn't read em until a couple years back.

Terrible. Especially compared with other books aimed at the same audience. Even Harry Potter is a masterpiece of technical skill compared to those books.

Oh, I know. They were awful (A one year old fighting a guy with a sword with it's fucking tooth?) but really, I try not to watch old cartoons either for the same reason.

Except for Spongebob. Spongebob is fucking awesome.

Tav on
  • DoxaDoxa Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh, I know. They were awful (A one year old fighting a guy with a sword with it's fucking tooth?) but really, I try not to watch old cartoons either for the same reason.

Except for Spongebob. Spongebob is fucking awesome.

ouch, ow. Ow. Oh my god. Ow.

Not only did I hate Spongebob but when I worked at an amusement park we had this spongebob ride and I heard the theme song so much it came into my dreams.

Horrible horrible nightmares at that.

Doxa on
    edited February 2009
    It's not the content that makes them terrible. Nor the intended audience.

Harry Potter, The Wee Free Men, The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents, hell even the Prydain books are all written for that age.

Lemony Snicket just has a real knack for combining a complete lack of writing ability with absolutely overwhelming condescension towards his audience.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Limp mooseLimp moose Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Limp Moose, regale us with stories of you drinking!

for America!

I was in a hookah bar on valentines day and ran into 3 dudes who were submarine sailors stationed in kings bay. They told me this story.

On submarines there are huge sea water condensers for cooling the reactors. They get very very cold. ESPECIALLY when the submarine is chilling out under the north pole ice. So on their boat they had a game where they would stick their dick on the freezing cold metal and who ever could keep it on longest wins.

I was dumbfounded that someone would try this. But apparently the record was like 4 minutes and the dude had to go to sick bay for freezer burn on his dick.

Some weird shit goes down on submarines. They are locked away from the sun and women for long periods of time.

Limp moose on
    edited February 2009
    Doxa wrote: »
    Horrible horrible nightmares at that.

612~SpongeBob-SquarePants-Posters.jpg

Tav on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Something about today brought out the crazy people.

From the guy that couldn't finish a sentence without uttering the words "Do you know what I mean? Yeah? Right?" to the woman plotting a subterfuge that wouldn't fool a mildly concussed five year old.

japan on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

The soundtrack to the audiobooks is fucking sweet.

Mostly because Stephin Merritt is fucking sweet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Ob9TJueBQ

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited February 2009
    man all my stories get bottom o the paged

Limp moose on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    have you ever had to go poop, but didn't really feel like getting up to go poop?

That's annoying.

edit: I am getting way too comfortable around you people.

Ludious on
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ludious wrote: »

Try saying something like "rape isn't physically painful"

That should take care of that.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
    edited February 2009
    That thread Khoo made in SE++ is interesting.

It's an article about the Forums, link.

Tav on
    edited February 2009
    its worse when you have to poop but you are on the phone with a girl you like.

SO you are like OH MAN HAVE TO POOP dont want to poop in front of her BUT SHES NOT EVEN HERE! and then you worry if it will be so loud she hears it over the phone.

But then its nice and silent and your all good. And on instinct you flush and then the jig is up!

Limp moose on
    edited February 2009
    In all seriousness though, Spongebob is awesome. I really should not be that entertained by a cartoon made for 10 year olds, but it's mesmerizing.

Tav on
    edited February 2009
    wazilla wrote: »

Well it isn't.

Unless we're talking about guys

Ludious on
    edited February 2009

Well it isn't.

Unless we're talking about guys

Girls love it when guys yell "SURPRISE!"

Tav on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Huh, H&A is occasionally useful. What a twist!

Leitner on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That thread Khoo made in SE++ is interesting.

It's an article about the Forums, link.

I love that the article comments are basically an out of context SE++ thread.

japan on
    edited February 2009
    Leitner wrote: »

I tried really hard to recommend good metal in there and then somebody suggested Slipknot.

:(

Tav on
    edited February 2009
    so when you have to go poop really bad, but you fight the urge back, does your butt basically swallow some poop?

Ludious on
  • StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    so when you have to go poop really bad, but you fight the urge back, does your butt basically swallow some poop?

You've got to stop this Ludious. My monocle is *this* close to popping out from my eye.

Starcross on
    edited February 2009
    These are life changing questions people

Ludious on
    edited February 2009
    shit from a butt

Tav on
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Limp moose wrote: »
    man all my stories get bottom o the paged

Limp Moose, i love all your stories.

And if i'm ever stationed close to you i am so going to buy you drinks until i run out of money.

Jokerman on
    edited February 2009
    Starcross wrote: »

You've got to stop this Ludious. My monocle is *this* close to popping out from my eye.

I've just been told my whole life "exit only, Ludious!" and then, when I am on the cusp of pooping my pants, I hunker down and really flex those muscles, and the urge goes away. The poop had to go somewhere. So apparently it went in reverse. Which means it IS a two way street. Which means Pepperidge Farm Piroutte Rolled Wafers make a lot more sense now.

Ludious on
  • ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Leitner wrote: »

i give the best advice.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
    edited February 2009
    Starcross wrote: »

I've just been told my whole life "exit only, Ludious!" and then, when I am on the cusp of pooping my pants, I hunker down and really flex those muscles, and the urge goes away. The poop had to go somewhere. So apparently it went in reverse. Which means it IS a two way street. Which means Pepperidge Farm Piroutte Rolled Wafers make a lot more sense now.
    No, it just means you've sinned against Gawd Ah'mighty

wazilla on
    edited February 2009
    Somebody google "Can your butt swallow poop" for me. I can't, because, ew seriously?

Ludious on
    edited February 2009
    If it weren't for H&A, i wouldn't be going into the army. instead i'd be begging to get a job at McDonalds in my deadend town.

Jokerman on
    edited February 2009
    Jokerman wrote: »
    If it weren't for H&A, i wouldn't be going into the army. instead i'd be begging to get a job at McDonalds in my deadend town.

Hey, good luck not dying on foreign soil.

Ludious on
    edited February 2009
    Ludius, if you hold poop in then your body just sucks all the water out of it, leaving you constipated.

Jokerman on
    edited February 2009
    Somebody google "Can your butt swallow poop" for me. I can't, because, ew seriously?
    I swallow, and then my poop is green | PoopReport.com

The slimy green covering on your poop is more than likely just swallowed mucus, ..... EATING THE WRONG FOODS, this can make you never shit and when you do its ... The proper order is kiss me, then go smell the other dog or cat's butt. ...

www.poopreport.com/Doctor/Knowledgebase/swallowgreen.html - 62k - Cached - Similar pages

Tav on
    edited February 2009
    In other news I found people on the Internet playing an actual (well almost actual...) MMORPG that were offended by the phrases "If you don't like it you can suck it" and "gank my shit"

I thought these people only existed in the myths of yore!

EDIT: 2 in the afternoon is as good a time as any to go to sleep...

wazilla on
    edited February 2009

pfft, I get to spend nine weeks in BFE oklahoma, then almost a year in north Alabama, then maybe I'll end up going to Afghanistan to fix Artilery radars.

I'm not worried about me dying, i'm worried about fucking up and letting the base get hit by a shell.

Jokerman on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    In other news I found people on the Internet playing an actual (well almost actual...) MMORPG that were offended by the phrases "If you don't like it you can suck it" and "gank my shit"

I thought these people only existed in the myths of yore!

A load of guys in the TF2 thread had a real problem with people swearing, in a game in which you turn people into bloody gibbets. I mean seriously guys?

Leitner on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    I just read about the internet group who hacked an epilepsy support group with flashing strobe.

Wow.

Organichu on
    edited February 2009

pfft, I get to spend nine weeks in BFE oklahoma, then almost a year in north Alabama, then maybe I'll end up going to Afghanistan to fix Artilery radars.

I'm not worried about me dying, i'm worried about fucking up and letting the base get hit by a shell.

Oh sure that's what they tell you. "Oh yeah you're gonna be a Radar Tech."

"Sorry son, Army need, and current job allotments means you're Bullet Decoy..I mean Scout. Good luck Soldier!"

Ludious on
This discussion has been closed.