As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Shadowbane (maybe NSF56K)

WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in MMO Extravaganza
So March Break is coming up (same time as last year when I first got into this game) which means all us Canadian students will be off, and I'm sure spring break must be coming up for you guys in the US. So here goes again, another attempt to get a decent PA guild going on Shadowbane. It used to be a commercial product, but now it's completely free (both to download and in terms of subscription, go to the instruction page Note: it says 15 day free trial, but that just hasn't been updated, it is a forever free thing now.) If you don't wanna spend an hour or two downloading however, you can most likely find a copy of it at EB for under $10, and although it'll likely need patching, it won't take as long (and I believe includes a map or something.)

Essentially it's the most highly PVP based MMO of all time. Outside of the newb island (which you leave at level 20) and a few safecities anyone can attack anyone. Guilds join up to Nations, and can build/take over cities, so there's alot of big city battles involving hundreds of players and siege weapons.

In the past we've always played on Mourning, however I'd be up for changing servers if you guys would prefer a different one.

Also, I realise the graphics are considered ugly by today's standards, but I've come to accept them. The normal GUI can be a pain in the ass and very confusing, so I'd recommend you customize it (by holding shift and clicking and dragging different boxes around) also, you can hit escape and turn off various windows (I like to trade out the health and mana borders for a smaller stats box.)
Wikipedia wrote:
Shadowbane is a free player-driven fantasy computer role-playing game (MMORPG) created by Wolfpack Studios and published on March 25, 2003 by Ubisoft for Windows and Mac platforms. Shadowbane once required a monthly fee to play in addition to purchasing the client software, though on March 15, 2006 it was made free to both download and play.[1] Starting in June of 2006, Stray Bullet Games took over development of Shadowbane due to the closure of Wolfpack Studios.

The game takes place in a dark fantasy world called Aerynth. Gameplay features many aspects typical of computer role-playing games, such as experience points, character classes, and fantasy races. Character creation is extremely detailed, allowing players to create literally thousands of different race/character combinations.

Shadowbane is notable for emphasizing player-versus-player combat and specializing in siege warfare (players building cities and trying to raze enemy players' cities) whereas the majority of MMORPGs released since Ultima Online restrict player killing to certain areas of the game or special dedicated PvP servers.

The first expansion, Rise of Chaos, was released on December 9, 2003. On December 7, 2004 the second expansion, Throne of Oblivion, was released.

The game became free to play on March 15, 2006. As a result of the increase in population, a new server called Braialla was opened on March 20, 2006. Braialla joins the existing worlds of Mourning, Wrath, Redemption, and Vindication.
Races wrote:
There are twelve races available in the game:

* Aelfborn (Half Elves)
* Aracoix (Flying Birdmen)
* Centaurs
* Dwarves
* Elves
* Half Giants
* Humans (Heirs of the All-Father)
* Irekei (Desert-dwelling Devilmen)
* Minotaurs (The Beast Men, creation of the elves)
* Nephilim (Flying demon-like creatures)
* Shades (The Pale Ones who are linked to the process of death, and have a gaunt, skeletal appearance.)
* Vampires (Powers and spells consume health instead of mana or stamina.)
Classes wrote:
There are four basic classes, though not all races may use every class:

* Fighter
* Healer
* Mage
* Rogue

At 10th level, each character must choose to promote to a specific profession:

* Assassin
* Barbarian
* Bard
* Channeler
* Confessor
* Crusader
* Doomsayer
* Druid
* Fury (Female only)
* Huntress (Female only)
* Necromancer
* Nightstalker
* Prelate
* Priest
* Ranger
* Scout
* Sentinel
* Templar
* Thief
* Warlock (Male only)
* Warrior
* Wizard

Which Professions are available are dependent on the race and base class of the character.

In addition, each character can take up to three disciplines, from a list of over thirty, though like with Professions, access is limited by race and class. The level hard cap is level 75, and at level 70 a fourth discipline slot is unlocked.

Couple Screens:
vampire.jpgfeudalpalace.jpgroc8.jpgsw1.jpg

In the last game on we had about 20 - 25 players from PA, and we formed a guild (to which we then recruited another 10 - 20 players) Eitherway, those of us that actually played had a great time, despite our difficulties finding a nation that didn't die out too quickly.

If we're gonna have this game on go through then we'll have to decide between keeping our own guild and trying to gain power for ourselves, or joining a different guild all together. Traditionally we've made our names "* Of Arcadia" to make us more recognizable in game, but it's not necessary. It may be a little rough to play for the first 20 levels, but once you get into a guild it truly gets fun.
Wezoin / Gundarr / Minotaur Barbarian
Volitor / Tarkhis / Centaur Healer - > DRUID
SNES / Kaunan

Post your info in this format: "Forum Name / Character Name / Race Class" and I'll add you to the list.

Wezoin on

• Options
    VolitorVolitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    YES I'M IN. but we need to pwn some faces.

Volitor / Tarkhis / Centaur Healer - > DRUID!

Volitor on
    I own face.
  • Options
    CrapfestivalCrapfestival Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I may be up for this again, as much I was last year.

Crapfestival on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I may be up for this again, as much I was last year.

Lol, I can't really remember, how much was that?

(I seem to recall perhaps you were the person that joined late but played alot once you finally got in?)

Wezoin on
  • Options
    AllonAllon Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Topping this, because it's awesome.
    Don't have enough time to play for a while, but the last time in the PA guild was awesome. :)
    Sorry, guys, Felice will probably be joining up later. Her daggers need a workout.

Allon on
  • Options
    CrapfestivalCrapfestival Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Wezoin wrote: »
    Lol, I can't really remember, how much was that?

(I seem to recall perhaps you were the person that joined late but played alot once you finally got in?)

I was in a good amount from near the start. Once that guild we were "subbed" to got their city destroyed and we were homeless, however, I played much less.

Crapfestival on
  • Options
    HullabalooHullabaloo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm going to give this another shot (mainly due to nostalgia) - I played the shit out of it during it's beta, but the damn thing just would NOT work on my computer when i tried it a few months back.

I'll let you know my name if I get into it. I'm thinking of making a bard.

EDIT*: Nope, it dosen't want to work. Oh well, good luck to everybody else though.

Hullabaloo on
    Xbox ID: Oggie Rock
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Alright so those of you interested, would you be more interested in having our own separate guild and subbing to a nation? or rather dissolving completely into their midst?

Wezoin on
  • Options
    VolitorVolitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I say we keep our own seperate guild and sub into a nation. Now, my experience of the game is very minimal, but that just sounds like a better option to me.

Volitor on
    I own face.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Volitor wrote: »
    I say we keep our own seperate guild and sub into a nation. Now, my experience of the game is very minimal, but that just sounds like a better option to me.

Aight, the only real problem with that is that its alot more administrative work. And if that nation loses its city for whatever reason then we have to go through it all again, instead of just leaving it up to whoever the guild leader of the other one would be.

Also, Crapfestival, you'll be joining us I gather from your post?

and Allon, you're an eventually coming person? (Just trying to figure out who's actually interested)

Wezoin on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'd be interested in this but only part time, as I have two active EvE subscriptions but they are coming up on some pretty long skill trains (30+ days). So in my down time I'd be cool for hopping on and pwning some face. That is if I can find someone to powerlevel me, and I'll also need some char creation guides so as not to waste my time or yours with rolling a gimp char.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I'd be interested in this but only part time, as I have two active EvE subscriptions but they are coming up on some pretty long skill trains (30+ days). So in my down time I'd be cool for hopping on and pwning some face. That is if I can find someone to powerlevel me, and I'll also need some char creation guides so as not to waste my time or yours with rolling a gimp char.

Alright, heres some Class Templates, also, I should be able to powerlevel you (I actually remember hunting with your toons quite a bit at the spiders)

What level are your toons now?

Wezoin on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Alright, heres some Class Templates, also, I should be able to powerlevel you (I actually remember hunting with your toons quite a bit at the spiders)

What level are your toons now?

Don't know exactly, I'll try getting the game installed and logging in tonight to check that.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    Winnie The PoohWinnie The Pooh Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Well, kinda bored with other things and I can always use some hilarity from naked steal spamming.

Still loved that one guild we joined that almost booted me for peeking everyone. As if I would be dumb enough to steal while I'm unstealthed in the middle of 20 guildmates.

Winnie The Pooh on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Mazik wrote: »
    Well, kinda bored with other things and I can always use some hilarity from naked steal spamming.

Still loved that one guild we joined that almost booted me for peeking everyone. As if I would be dumb enough to steal while I'm unstealthed in the middle of 20 guildmates.

Yeah, those guys were nazis when it came to what classes you could and couldn't be.

So yeah, whenever you guys gots your toon info post it so I can toss it up on the OP

Wezoin on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    So, whenever I try to login in the game I get "This server is busy"...

I know my password/username is correct since I logged into the ubisoft site just fine, the subscription is still active, but it won't let me log in. Anyone else having these issues?

Winnie The Pooh on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I'm patching now... I'll update this post with my characters when I'm in.

LittleBoots on

• Options
    edited February 2007
    Mazik wrote: »
    So, whenever I try to login in the game I get "This server is busy"...

I know my password/username is correct since I logged into the ubisoft site just fine, the subscription is still active, but it won't let me log in. Anyone else having these issues?

If I'm not mistaken that usually happens when they take down the server for patches (which they do every morning for an hour or so) So maybe its being patched, or just down?

Wezoin on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Not for quite a while. Months at least. Sorry. :(

Also, voting for subbing.

Why do you have that avatar/title? D:

Allon on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    So http://www.shadow-grove.com/ is a pretty useful site. Apparently the login server is down while the main servers are up. The Chronicle site simply has N/A for all the servers.

Wonderful

Winnie The Pooh on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Allon wrote: »
    Why do you have that avatar/title? D:

Its a long story involving a 3 year old and a 2 year legal battle...
    One of those "Change the title of another forumer" games in SE++, the AV just seemed to fit.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    SilentCoconutSilentCoconut Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Some friends and I have been looking for a free MMO to play on weekends, and we'll probably be giving Shadowbane a try. Since the last Game On was on Mourning, that's where we'll be rolling, unless you guys decide on somewhere else soon.

SilentCoconut on
  • Options
    nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    oh god, my H-scroll!

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Some friends and I have been looking for a free MMO to play on weekends, and we'll probably be giving Shadowbane a try. Since the last Game On was on Mourning, that's where we'll be rolling, unless you guys decide on somewhere else soon.

Alright, sweet, once you're all set up post your info. Looks like we're sticking to mourning since it's mostly people who were in the last game on who are coming back, and likely wont be too eager to restart

tnefffffffffffffffff: Do you have like a 12 inch screen or something?

Wezoin on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Anyone up for messin around on it a bit tonight?

I'm thinking of rolling a new toon to play as a secondary. Also I might go see about finding us a nation to sub to.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I knew there was a reason I don't hang out in SE++ >_>

Allon on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I'm leveling up a vamp mage/assassin if anyone cares to join me. (still level 3)

Winnie The Pooh on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Blah, sorry I haven't had a chance to get on much yet and organize the nation stuff... Everytime I've planned to so far something has come up.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    SNESSNES Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This thread dead, then?

I'm going to be playing this game in the interim between WoW and whatever other popular MMORPG I'll end up gravitating to next.

Kaunan in Mourning, by the way.

SNES on
    MP:H-2019-3115-7752
    MKDS Friend Code: 476-802-986-689
    AC:WW Friend Code:3823-1420-6253
    Pokemon Friend Code: 3222 2050 0417
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    SNES wrote: »
    This thread dead, then?

I'm going to be playing this game in the interim between WoW and whatever other popular MMORPG I'll end up gravitating to next.

Yeah it kinda died, but hopefully others will jump in. What class/level are ya?

Wezoin on
  • Options
    SNESSNES Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    SNES wrote: »
    This thread dead, then?

Yeah it kinda died, but hopefully others will jump in. What class/level are ya?

Vampire rogue, level 3. Not really planning to play a lot, but a couple hours on like saturday or whatever will be cool.

Just sort of waiting for the PA presence to return. I'm sick of playing MMOs then hanging out at a city praying that the next person I invite will actually cooperate with me.

SNES on
    MP:H-2019-3115-7752
    MKDS Friend Code: 476-802-986-689
    AC:WW Friend Code:3823-1420-6253
    Pokemon Friend Code: 3222 2050 0417
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I remember when this game was hot shit. And it was horribly buggy and almost unplayable. Have they changed anything?

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Is this still going on?

first of all you should edit that OP for less H-scroll rapeage. I think i've already mentioned this -- but maybe its just the way my comp is displaying the screenshots. theres no linebreaks between them? whatever.

second of all, if its not i'm starting another [GAMEON] in the mmo extravaganza thread.

oh also i have an R3 thief on Mourning if anybody is interested gimme a tell my name is Nirgal.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Alright, personally, I'd love to jump on this if we can get some people together. If not nefffffff, if you can find a guild I'd gladly join and start playing with you. (Also, I'd transfer guild leadership to one of my old toons so that we wouldn't lose it)

Wezoin on
  • Options
    KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Installed and whatnot.

Kalistor of Arcadia, on Mourning
    and
    Alist Dargoth, on Wrath.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    MooreningMoorening Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Anyone still playing this? I know it's free now so I am downloading it as we speak. I used to play and I read something that disabled accounts are still there. If that's the case I know I have a level 50 (or higher, I don't remember) bladeweaving priest. I'm not sure, but I think it was on Mourning. Once I get everything installed and check I will edit with exact info. I might just have to start again though.

I would love to play with other PA'ers if anybody is still playing this.

Moorening on
    It would appear there ain't no rest for the wicked...who knew?
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Seeing as how it's free, and I've been tempted to try it ever since it was made so...I'd actually take the time to try it if PA'ers are involved.

So...am I too late? Or do people still play?

citizen059 on
  • Options
    MooreningMoorening Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I got on there after downloading. My old account was gone, so no luck with that. When I finally got it up and running I was wondering what the hell I found so exciting when I first played it. I think it was because it was new and I had a bunch of friends playing it. From the looks of it, a lot has changed from when I first played it. There is only one non-player made city now, which means the rest of the world is going to be PvP. I just couldn't bring myself to start over from the beggining, so I won't be playing this one.

Moorening on
    It would appear there ain't no rest for the wicked...who knew?
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This game used to dominate my time back when Chaos was alive and well. Ah, the joy of having barbarians run from an Assassin was so great.

clsCorwin on