As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Recommend On] Keyboard

2»

• Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    I just bought a logitech G15, I take back anything I have ever said about expensive keyboards being a waste of money, this thing is incredible.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Guys!

The best keyboard on the fuckin planet:
    http://www.daskeyboard.com/

Is now having a 50% off VALENTINE'S DAY SALE. $64 dollars for a $128 dollar keyboard! WORTH EVERY PENNY

But ONLY UNTIL FEBRUARY 9th

This keyboard is FUCKING AWESOME, it's just delicious to type on. And you know it's good because I'm not recommending an Apple product!

Obs on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Promo Code is valpro2009

Obs on
  • Options
    Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm only getting a 55 dollar discount here

Serious_Scrub on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'm only getting a 55 dollar discount here

That's weird, is that including shipping or whatever?

Obs on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    I just bought a logitech G15, I take back anything I have ever said about expensive keyboards being a waste of money, this thing is incredible.

thats what i was saying. its a little expensive, but even if you cut out the lcd thing its still an incredible keyboard.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Every keyboard I've used has 6-key rollover plus one extra spot for modifier keys. I'm shocked to hear that any company would find no rollover to be acceptable. With NO rollover you could start to lose letters just typing quickly.

They wouldn't even use their own products internally!

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Anyone have any idea if it is possible to have the LCD screen on the G15 display just one thing? Mine will not stop cycling.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Obs wrote: »
    Guys!

The best keyboard on the fuckin planet:
    http://www.daskeyboard.com/

Is now having a 50% off VALENTINE'S DAY SALE. $64 dollars for a $128 dollar keyboard! WORTH EVERY PENNY

But ONLY UNTIL FEBRUARY 9th

This keyboard is FUCKING AWESOME, it's just delicious to type on. And you know it's good because I'm not recommending an Apple product!

That's a good one, I've got one as well. I like the MS reclusa as well.

psychotix on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hell yeah that gold connector is going to reduce latency!

What a bad review. It's like all he did was read off the box.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Hell yeah that gold connector is going to reduce latency!

What a bad review. It's like all he did was read off the box.

Yeah, he does that... his accent is delightful though.

And it is a good keyboard. Mouse too. I can sit at the computer indefinitely without any finger cramps or anything.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Anyone have any idea if it is possible to have the LCD screen on the G15 display just one thing? Mine will not stop cycling.

theres an option in the gamedisplay or whatever program it installs to have it just show one thing. im at work so i cant look right now. i dont think it works very well, but like i said 90% of the time my lcd screen is hidden unless i lean back to look so i dont notice.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    CritterCritter Semi-good lookin' Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    OremLK wrote: »
    This is a very good keyboard. It has 104 keys. It has an incredible black finish and an overall feel to the keys that not many other keyboards have. Oh and it costs $7 and doesn't have any gay shit like lights or an LCD screen, its a circuit board with keys.

I could see myself buying like ten of those and then replacing them every six months or so when they start to break.

I've had one of those for the past 3 years, and it still works fine. Not a bad deal for seven bucks.

Critter on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Guys, I cannot recall a time where a Microsoft keyboard or mouse has ever stopped working... I've had my laser microsoft mouse for literally years now tucked away in the closet yet when I need it, it's there and working grand.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I got my unicomp keyboard. Pretty awesome, has a great feel to it. The clicky sound annoys my girlfriend but the tactile sensation of typing on it almost makes up for the sex I will not longer be receiving.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    "Grandpa when you did you know you were a nerd?"
    I got my unicomp keyboard. Pretty awesome, has a great feel to it. The clicky sound annoys my girlfriend but the tactile sensation of typing on it almost makes up for the sex I will not longer be receiving.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Guys, I cannot recall a time where a Microsoft keyboard or mouse has ever stopped working... I've had my laser microsoft mouse for literally years now tucked away in the closet yet when I need it, it's there and working grand.

I had the first Microsoft intellimouse ever made, i bought it maybe a month after they came out for like $140CDN. It lasted right up until this year, so i guess 11 or 12 years? And that includes me smashing it apart once when i accidentally slammed it in the drawer of the desk. The only reason it finally broke was the wire snapped where it entered the mouse, and i tried to take it apart to rejoin the wires but they were too small and i couldnt do it. I think it would have lasted forever were it not for that problem.

I bought a new one to replace it (took me forever to find one with the back/forward buttons on the left/right side, respectively). Its awesome too.

Critter wrote: »
    OremLK wrote: »
    This is a very good keyboard. It has 104 keys. It has an incredible black finish and an overall feel to the keys that not many other keyboards have. Oh and it costs $7 and doesn't have any gay shit like lights or an LCD screen, its a circuit board with keys.

I could see myself buying like ten of those and then replacing them every six months or so when they start to break.

I've had one of those for the past 3 years, and it still works fine. Not a bad deal for seven bucks.

I have this keyboard, except its branded Gateway. Its actually pretty awesome, and the key layout isnt retarded like some keyboards. Pretty easy to use and it doesnt actually feel cheap.

I do love those Model M keyboards though, i had one as my first ever keyboard. Unfortunately i spilled water on it, and it died. Id buy one of those daskeyboards, but i dont really feel theyre worth 170CDN. Too bad im not in the US, id be tempted to buy one for $55 shipped.

We use the Logitech G15 keyboards at work, and theyre also solid keyboards other than the legs tend to snap off. The macro keys are handy as shit too, especially if you do any repetitive keystrokes. I save so much time now that ive learned how to use them, theyre quite amazing. The only other downside is the paint tends to wear off the keys, so you end up with clear plastic keys. Which is actually kind of neat because theyre build like little windows, with + reinforcements. Combined with the backlight it looks kind of cool. Again though for myself, theyre kind of expensive so i dont know if i could justify it. If they were like 45 bucks, maybe.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

I just purchased one yesterday and should be getting it in the mail soon. The clicking will probably annoy my fiance as well but I don't really care. :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Darmak wrote: »

I just purchased one yesterday and should be getting it in the mail soon. The clicking will probably annoy my fiance as well but I don't really care. :D

It will annoy the living hell out of spouses and partners, but if you do any kind of typing...it's just so nice to use. It sounds really stupid to people that haven't used it, but it just feels so much better to type on.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Thomamelas wrote: »

It will annoy the living hell out of spouses and partners, but if you do any kind of typing...it's just so nice to use. It sounds really stupid to people that haven't used it, but it just feels so much better to type on.

Well I got it because I miss typing on good, clicky keyboards and I want to choke whoever started making keyboards all small and shitty like laptop's. I can't fucking stand the way those feel, like each key is sticking every time I press it. Or when you press a key and you feel absolutely nothing; I want some fucking tactile feedback goddamnit, not to feel like I'm pushing my fingers into dough.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've been using the UNICOMP for a little while now. Don't know if the old mechanical design really adds anything to gameplay (WASD etc). I do think the textile typing is worth the price.

If they made a clicky style microsoft natural keyboard it would easily be the best keyboard ever made.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    DarkfishDarkfish Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Can someone reccommend me a keyboard with slim keys, like the apple keyboard, has to be wired and reliable - does the apple keyboard work well with vista?

Darkfish on
    hyrulesig1ui.png
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Logitech makes a pretty slim one that my father-in-law uses. It's pretty nice if you want something slim.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    kpeezykpeezy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Digital-Media-Keyboard-3000/dp/B0013ITQA8/ref=pd_bbs_6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1236704232&sr=8-6

I just use that. Nice design, quiet keys, low profile keys but not enough to throw off my typing. I type at 100 to 120 WPM so I can say for sure, this will not hinder your typing... I would know. And it's cheap.

kpeezy on
    me itt
    SSBB: 5370-1223-4258
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Man, it blows my mind that people actually like keyboards with slim, quiet keys. I know it's just personal preference and all but still, having keys that click and give you that tactile feedback is just wonderful. I can understand some people wanting one that's quiet so as not to bother people who may be trying to sleep or whatever, but I still prefer the clack-clack of mine. It's just so satisfying to type on, which sounds a lot weirder outside of my head. :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man, it blows my mind that people actually like keyboards with slim, quiet keys. I know it's just personal preference and all but still, having keys that click and give you that tactile feedback is just wonderful. I can understand some people wanting one that's quiet so as not to bother people who may be trying to sleep or whatever, but I still prefer the clack-clack of mine. It's just so satisfying to type on, which sounds a lot weirder outside of my head. :D

I'm starting to prefer slimmer keyboards simply because it means there is less travel on the keys when you press them. I dunno but I'm starting to hate keyboards with keys that it feels like i have to mash the keys to register a key press

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    I use an Apple aluminium keyboard at work and I refuse to go back. I know it looks like it really shouldn't be any good, but it's actually quite awesome.

This.

I had to get a free app to map F13 to print screen, but you can actually do this in the registry (I'm lazy).

Other than that it's sexy, sexy win.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I used a laptop for so long that it's just what I'm used to. But now I swap back and forth from regular to laptop at work and I have no trouble doing so.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I use an Apple aluminium keyboard at work and I refuse to go back. I know it looks like it really shouldn't be any good, but it's actually quite awesome.

This.

I had to get a free app to map F13 to print screen, but you can actually do this in the registry (I'm lazy).

Yea, I'd like to get an apple keyboard for my PC, but wont' until my G15 dies. it's not a cheap keyboard and I won't buy it as long as I have another working one.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »

This.

Yea, I'd like to get an apple keyboard for my PC, but wont' until my G15 dies. it's not a cheap keyboard and I won't buy it as long as I have another working one.

I've been using my G15 (ver. 1) for a while now, and am also quite pleased. The whole thing feels very robust...then again, it's a big keyboard. And that little screen is useful for everything from an additional task manager to GPU temperatures (and if I played WoW, it'd be useful for that too).

Synthesis on