As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LOTRO] Barrovian Society Wanders but is not Lost

• DedianDedian Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    And pretty much all in Evendim :) Really my favorite region for the atmosphere and visuals. Just north of that region is Forochel, which will literally make you want to go get a blanket cause it looks and makes you feel so cold.

(Stupid grims)

If you can handle ultra-high settings on DX10 (Note: this is the shire :D):
    ScreenShot00000.jpg

Also, if you have a 4G+ readyboost-capable flash drive (8G+ for the high-res textures), check this out: http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/LOTRO_FlashBoost.

Dedian on
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sometimes I want to resub for a few weeks just to poke around and see how the game looks on my newer desktop.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Do it. But not just for a couple weeks. Seriously, we need more guys.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
    edited February 2009
    Someday... someday.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited February 2009
    They seriously need to fix some goddamn bugs dealing with how enemies break off pursuit. I'm really annoyed with running halfway to Mordor and having a mob I aggro'd in the Grey fucking Havens still trying to kill me, when shit I didn't aggro until I got to Minas Tirith has long-since broken off pursuit.

Triple B on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So I'm gonna get a trial account and dink around a bit, does the trial include the new classes? Also where do I even make the trial account, the page to download it has -nothing- on it about that.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • blindside044blindside044 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Arthil wrote: »
    So I'm gonna get a trial account and dink around a bit, does the trial include the new classes? Also where do I even make the trial account, the page to download it has -nothing- on it about that.

yes it does include the new classes... lotro.com/trial

blindside044 on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dedian wrote: »
    And pretty much all in Evendim :) Really my favorite region for the atmosphere and visuals. Just north of that region is Forochel, which will literally make you want to go get a blanket cause it looks and makes you feel so cold.

(Stupid grims)

If you can handle ultra-high settings on DX10 (Note: this is the shire :D):
    ScreenShot00000.jpg

Also, if you have a 4G+ readyboost-capable flash drive (8G+ for the high-res textures), check this out: http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/LOTRO_FlashBoost.
    You can get a 8GB USB stick for like 15$ these days, so if you're playing on a laptop and you've got some spare usb ports there's no reason *not* to do this. (:

Aldo on
    edited February 2009
    Arthil wrote: »

Free Trial FAQ:

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=248979

Dedian on
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Whelp this is aggravating I can't launch the game without it crashing and I have no idea what I changed to get it crash. I only get a error report thats it. Any ideas? :\

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
    edited February 2009
    Uhm, post the error report on their tech support forum?

Aldo on
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    Uhm, post the error report on their tech support forum?

Don't use logic with me!

Good idea didn't think about it.><

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So my trial is up today or tomorrow. Can I like buy a cd key online and somehow get the highrez textures or should I just pickup a box?

IvanIssacs on
  • Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I actually have this funny problem when i try to start LOTRO. I get to the launcher, click Brandywine and it starts to load. Screen goes black, little popup says Windows Vista visuals returned to basic or something and LOTRO closes and i am staring at my desktop. I have to restart the client and log in again to get into Character selection. IT always does this.

Its a mystery. Also: Brandywine is fucking jammin.

Oddjob187 on
    edited February 2009
    IvanIssacs wrote: »
    So my trial is up today or tomorrow. Can I like buy a cd key online and somehow get the highrez textures or should I just pickup a box?

I think you can upgrade to a digital copy from your acct screen.. at least that's what I've read, somewhere - you'd put in the code you get with that purchase. I don't know the upgrade to highrez procedure, however...

Dedian on
    edited February 2009
    Vista, lol.

Also, I will ding 40 before I sleep again. :x

Triple B on
    edited February 2009
    Oddjob187 wrote: »
    I actually have this funny problem when i try to start LOTRO. I get to the launcher, click Brandywine and it starts to load. Screen goes black, little popup says Windows Vista visuals returned to basic or something and LOTRO closes and i am staring at my desktop. I have to restart the client and log in again to get into Character selection. IT always does this.

The Aero thing is normal; it drops that load on your GPU when a 3d app isn't running to free up CPU resources.

The other part isn't; do you have it run as an Admin? If the launcher and .exe are different files, you may have to set both to run as Admin (right click > properties > compatibility).

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited February 2009
    Morskittar wrote: »

The Aero thing is normal; it drops that load on your GPU when a 3d app isn't running to free up CPU resources.

The other part isn't; do you have it run as an Admin? If the launcher and .exe are different files, you may have to set both to run as Admin (right click > properties > compatibility).

Also, dunno if you're running the W7 beta, but if you happened to run the "remove watermarks" "patch" that can cause problems, I've found (still says Vista in all the prompts)

Dedian on
    edited February 2009
    Heh. After you two dudes left, we aggro'd like 4 giants at once. Party leader got pwned, I hauled ass. :D

Triple B on
  • Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I dunno. I just yell at it and it works the second time. Its the same for Admin or just regular clicky click click.

Its a mystery.
    Triple B wrote: »
    Heh. After you two dudes left, we aggro'd like 4 giants at once. Party leader got pwned, I hauled ass. :D

You're a horrible evil hobbit. Like gollum. Just like him. :hifive:

Oddjob187 on
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That's hillarious

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited February 2009

Gimme a break mang, I wasn't about to rack up a 40s repair bill just out of honor. :lol:

Triple B on
    edited February 2009

Gimme a break mang, I wasn't about to rack up a 40s repair bill just out of honor. :lol:

last time I died it was like.. 300s, though that could have been for unequipped stuff too :D

Dedian on
  • Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

This is a known issue, and once upon a time I could have told you all sorts of things about it, but then I forgot them. It's somewhere in the official forums, though. Also, curiously enough, it usually isn't an issue the first time you launch after a client update.

Two solutions: do what you've been doing. It should always work the second time, unless a significant amount of time passes between launches (I don't know what counts as significant).

Or, if you were in windowed mode when you exited the game, it will start in windowed mode, and not run into whatever weird conflict causes the impromptu exit, hence no need for the second start.

Simon Moon on
    Steam: simon moon
  • AllchuffedupAllchuffedup Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah I have to double start a lot of the time but not always.

Allchuffedup on
    steam_sig.png
    allchuffedup#1671
    edited February 2009
    I've noticed an odd bit of lag when I played my Hobbit Warden and Dwarf Rune-Master. A lag I never had before in such places, they tended to be a lot more smooth. Although someone in regional chat in The Shire did say they too was experiencing it. Not sure whether it's my machine or the server starting to eat itself.

Edit: Do you guys even use the Penny Arcade channel anymore?

Arthil on
    edited February 2009
    I never use the Penny Arcade channel. I always forget it's there.

Also, I just ding'd 40 and bought a bay pony. :D:D:D

Triple B on
    edited February 2009

I have the same problem, when I click the tab on the bottombar before it goes away it goes ok

Aldo on
    edited February 2009
    I use the channel but most people don't seem to

Allchuffedup on
    steam_sig.png
    allchuffedup#1671
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hangin out on Brandywine.

Farmin' mah shit.

This is a very nice change of pace from WAR. I might stick around until for a bit.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited February 2009
    Malkor wrote: »

Farmin' mah shit.

This is a very nice change of pace from WAR. I might stick around until for a bit.

Good to hear, dude. :D

Now get your ass on Landroval and join The Barrovian Society. :x

Triple B on
    edited February 2009

Farmin' mah shit.

Good to hear, dude. :D

Now get your ass on Landroval and join The Barrovian Society. :x

I'm playing with a buddy of mine, but I'm down to play on another server as well.

Malkor on
    edited February 2009
    Do it, we need more people. :(

Triple B on
    edited February 2009
    Is there any way to skip the intro chapter?

Malkor on
    edited February 2009
    Is there any way to skip the intro chapter?

Once you've finished it you can skip it on that race's intros

Dedian on
    edited February 2009
    Wait wait wait... the intro chapter, as in the one that gets you to Level 6? Or the thing at the very beginning? Both seem kind of important.

Arthil on
    edited February 2009
    you skip th quest and that starting area where you get a lot of quests to do then travel out..
    you will get level 3 i think but i prefer not skipping and getting easy levels, especially if i want to try to get to lvl 10 or higher w/o dying because it's a lot harder having to do higher level quests at that stage

Allchuffedup on
    steam_sig.png
    allchuffedup#1671
    edited February 2009
    you skip th quest and that starting area where you get a lot of quests to do then travel out..
    you will get level 3 i think but i prefer not skipping and getting easy levels, especially if i want to try to get to lvl 10 or higher w/o dying because it's a lot harder having to do higher level quests at that stage

Yeah I did that on my second char and decided it'll take just as long to get the 6 levels than trying to live while level 3 in the big bad world.

Dedian on
    edited February 2009
    woooord

This is my second character, and the first was under siege from constant IMs of "Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet?"

So I think I'll be fine with actually reading the story and such this time around.

Malkor on
  • PsycharilPsycharil Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    A part of me thinks I should reroll on Landroval, considering there seems to be a significant population difference compared to where I currently play (Vilya, because the LotrO news reel thingy told me to roll there D=).

I just don't want to do the starting bit all over again. I rerolled like four times before I settled on trying out an Elven Rune Keeper.

Oh, and I have to throw this in. All those reports of the LotrO graphics being awesome do absolutely no justice to the game. The graphics are just unbelievable. I spent my first hour of the game sitting in a field of small white flowers, watching them sway in the soft breeze near Bree. >.< I was mesmerised.

Psycharil on