As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How do I be a daddy, daddy?

• Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Blitzkrieg wrote: »
    Are we still talking about the kid and the baby, or has the intervening 80 pages drifted off into a toxic stream of consciousness?

I wonder how many people in this thread actually have kids and see the kid as more than just an immediate burden (or something to be terrified of)...

I'm not pro or against aborting the baby, mind you, I'm just curious. I imagine most of you are in college and the idea of having a baby yourselves it terrifying. So, it's a small step to pass judgment over someone else outside the norm...

THE KID IS THIRTEEN
    If he's even the father

Me Too! on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mysst wrote: »
    Macro9 wrote: »
    Are we still talking about the kid and the baby, or has the intervening 80 pages drifted off into a toxic stream of consciousness?

I wonder how many people in this thread actually have kids and see the kid as more than just an immediate burden (or something to be terrified of)...

I'm not pro or against aborting the baby, mind you, I'm just curious. I imagine most of you are in college and the idea of having a baby yourselves it terrifying. So, it's a small step to pass judgment over someone else outside the norm...

The kid is alive. Are you suggesting that they kill it?
    well with all those fathers they're probably going to have to king solomon it

Let us fold it unto its self. Share it with both time and space.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    FAQ wrote: »
    tugga wrote: »
    tube's facebook is probably blowing up with friend requests

this is totally in the wrong thread

way to be a sucka

it was right before he posted about how many friend requests he had too

tugga on
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

that ain't got nothing to do with solomon

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

that ain't got nothing to do with solomon

King Solomon of Space. It's a play that I am working on.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    so

i am unsure of whether or not i'm hungover or still fucked up!

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Romans used to drown their unwanted offspring down by the river.

I guess if you were doing it at the same time as someone else, it might be a little awkward.

Meiz on
    edited February 2009
    spartans used to throw their unwanted offspring off a cliff

because they didn't have plastic bags to put them in to throw them in the river

Dead Legend on
  • OtarOtar Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

If two of them were there at the same time it would become a competition, or possibly olympic sport.

Otar on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    so

that is the worst feeling

tugga on
  • Auntie ShibbyAuntie Shibby Horrible Visalia, CARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    so

that is the worst feeling
    I feel it's better than being hungover.

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Meiz wrote: »
    Romans used to drown their unwanted offspring down by the river.

I guess if you were doing it at the same time as someone else, it might be a little awkward.
    There was also the practice of 'exposing' unwanted children, which just meant leaving them in the middle of the damn wilderness

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    bongi wrote: »
    Me Too! wrote: »
    bongi wrote: »
    do marines wear the black one with the red stripes

that's them
    those ones look kinda dumb

who wears the white ones

It's called a Blood Stripe, and the Marine uniform is not dumb at all. It oozes age and tradition.

Jigrah on
  • LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    doesn't stop them from looking dumb

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Jigrah wrote: »
    It's called a Blood Stripe, and the Marine uniform is not dumb at all. It oozes age and tradition.
    A red stripe worn down the outside of the legs on dress blue uniforms. It is worn by noncommissioned officers, warrant officers and commissioned officers, traditionally to honor the high number of casualties among those ranks at the Battle of Chapultapec in the Mexican War.

Darth Waiter on
    edited February 2009
    Lockout wrote: »

You have to be a special kind of retard to look at that and think it looks dumb.

Even special ed kids would argue against you.

Jigrah on
    edited February 2009
    hey darth, i have a question for you

i'm planning on taking a martial arts class at uni and they offer aikido, karate, kung fu, jujitsu, tae kwon do, and kickboxing

i was wondering if there was any you recommend

because you are pretty good at hurting folks

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
    edited February 2009
    not that i want to take one of those classes to learn to hurt people

just making an effort to be more well rounded

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
    edited February 2009
    Damn, good question. Ummm, what are you going for (i.e. cardio, self-defense) and why?

Darth Waiter on
    edited February 2009
    Jigrah wrote: »

You have to be a special kind of retard to look at that and think it looks dumb.

Even special ed kids would argue against you.

for one, that's entirely subjective

and two, i was just saying that even if something oozes tradition doesn't stop it from looking funny

i don't really think they look dumb

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
    edited February 2009
    Aikido and Jujitsu are fucking sexy martial arts.

Jigrah on
    edited February 2009
    Damn, good question. Ummm, what are you going for (i.e. cardio, self-defense) and why?

let's just say self-defense, but i definitely wouldn't mind getting in better shape in the process either

edit: and as for why, yeah i just think it would be interesting to learn since i've never done anything like it before

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
    edited February 2009

let's just say self-defense, but i definitely wouldn't mind getting in better shape in the process either

edit: and as for why, yeah i just think it would be interesting to learn since i've never done anything like it before

Gimme a minute and let me type up my personal assessment.

Darth Waiter on
    edited February 2009
    Aikido is an amazing pacifist art that focuses on being centered and calm which is invaluable in any number of non-combat situations; I've studied Aikido in a peripheral way and found the philosophy to be highly motivating. Aikido...hmmm...Aikido is being the center of the whirlwind, moving, turning, and redirecting the energy of the opponent to induce a fall or a lock. It's impressive as all hell in a one-on-one fight and even against multiple opponents, but it's not designed for bar brawls if that gives you any reference. It's also an excellent way to prevent injury from random accidents such as being pushed down stairs in the event of unwanted pregnancy.

Karate is what I've studied since I was eight, Shotokan to be specific, but I don't recommend it as a casual art; it takes years to master Shotokan, decades really, but Ishin-Ryu is one of the more 'competition' styles of karate and easier to get into. Keep in mind that it is primarily a striking art and much more linear than other martial arts. Excellent for stand up fights, average on groundwork and grappling.

Kung Fu is an entire thread in and of itself. I love it's fluidity and grace, it's smooth power and it's history, but Kung Fu is another one of those that requires absolute dedication to gain true proficiency. Ask Vivivixenne.

Juijutsu is brilliant at groundwork; most fights go to the ground in a matter of tens of seconds if not less. For all of it's excellent teachings at groundwork, it's a mistake to think that a practitioner is useless at a stand-up. Juijutsu has switches for all the bitches, and much like Aikido, it's awesome at a one-on-one. However! Juijustsu is a bit more aggressive than Aikido so it attracts a certain kind of cocky bastard. Beware.

More to come.

Darth Waiter on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've been a kickboxing student since the third grade but I'd love to learn a Japanese or Chinese martial art because of the lifestyle that goes along with the art.

Javen on
  • Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Defender signal has been lit, please stand by.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've learned some karate, some tae kwon do, and some kickboxing

Also a semester's worth of yang-style tai chi in college

Darth's post on aikido makes me want to take it next

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Otar wrote: »

If two of them were there at the same time it would become a competition, or possibly olympic sport.
    where do you think they got the idea for shotput? also, hammer toss

Houk the Namebringer on
    edited February 2009
    yeah, it sounds like aikido is going to be it

i'm waiting to see what else darth has to say though

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
    edited February 2009
    Tae Kwon Do is often thought of as the 'Kickey-Thingey' and it's a damned shame because it's got all kinds of tricks up the sleeve. Besides, any unarmed art that can kick a man off a horse is worthy of some serious respect. More circular than mainstream Karate and just as accessible, TKD is a damned good choice for cardio, self-defense and general health. If you take up with it, you need to be aware that you will be kicked in the head. A lot.

Kickboxing is by far and away the easiest to find a class for and the easiest to get into and out of with decent results. It's boxing plus kicking so you will have a range of self-defense options that are fast, efficient and easy-to-learn. As a non-dedicated, casual practicing style, it's the one I recommend for most people since it works off of body mechanics you use without knowing every damned day. It's also what I used as a foundation for my self-defense classes when I assisted with a couple of classes.

So there you have it, for what little it's worth.

Darth Waiter on
    edited February 2009
    Houk wrote: »

the discus was actually invented by women who were upset by doing dishes

which is why i have never done the discus.

the shotput on the other hand, i have been to track meets and been rolled over and dominated by mentally retarded people.

what they lack for in mental faculties they make up for throwing a fucking iron ball through the air.

Dead Legend on
    edited February 2009
    As I side note, I recently found a Kali instructor and am thinking of hitting that up.

Do not take Kali unless you hate yourself.

Darth Waiter on
    edited February 2009
    So kickboxing... how long does it take before you notice results that would actually assist you with rudimentary self-defense?

Tweaked_Bat_ on
    edited February 2009
    thanks a lot darth, that was pretty awesome

so would an aikido class be too much if I have pretty much no experience with martial arts? it sounds like something that would be pretty damn useful to be educated in. but it sounds like kickboxing is more basic and might be the better choice

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
    edited February 2009
    So kickboxing... how long does it take before you notice results that would actually assist you with rudimentary self-defense?

It really depends on how diligent you are and what results you're going for.

Cardio? Awesome results with a trainer, slower results without.

Self-defense? A medium to large sized punching bag will be enough to start with in your spare time, but you definitely need someone to show you proper punching and kicking mechanics. I've seen people shatter wrists and ankles on a bag because of poor technique.

Darth Waiter on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Well once you learn how to guard properly it becomes pretty easy to avoid being hurt in a fight.

As far as fighting back, in the fights I've been I tend to use many more elbows/knees than punches/kicks.

Javen on
  • KilljoyKilljoy __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Houk wrote: »

the discus was actually invented by women who were upset by doing dishes

which is why i have never done the discus.

the shotput on the other hand, i have been to track meets and been rolled over and dominated by mentally retarded people.

what they lack for in mental faculties they make up for throwing a fucking iron ball through the air.

this is similar to my experience as well

except instead of mentally retarded people i was beat out at shot put by a guy with crab hands

like serious three fingers on each stubby arm type

Killjoy on
    edited February 2009
    thanks a lot darth, that was pretty awesome

so would an aikido class be too much if I have pretty much no experience with martial arts? it sounds like something that would be pretty damn useful to be educated in. but it sounds like kickboxing is more basic and might be the better choice

Aikido first. You will hate the work on some days, but it is worth your time. Trust me on this. How many days a week will you be going?

Darth Waiter on
  • QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    did not expect the thread to go this way

QuestionMarkMan on
    edited February 2009
    What does a typical kickboxing lesson consist of?

Tweaked_Bat_ on