As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Useful things you learned from games

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Qingu wrote: »
    The Zelda games taught me logic. I'm not even joking. I did a really good job on the LSAT and I seriously owe it all to Zelda.

In Zelda, when you encounter a puzzle, there is always, always a solution. You will probably have to look around your environment for clues. You will probably have to build upon the knowledge you have learned previously in the game. You will probably have to use your tools or items in a new way or in a new combination.

Not all real-world puzzles can be solved, but still, the "Zelda strategy" for solving puzzles seems like the best fucking strategy out there. For standardized tests—where there really is always an answer within reach to a puzzle—Zelda logic rules.

what you say here is simple but very very important and true.

There is nothing better in a zelda game (or really almost any game) than knowing for sure that there is a solution, and that if you think hard enough, you will find it.

perfectly comparable to tests actually because every question on a test has an answer of some sort.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I have to admit, unlike the person some posts above me, I did not learn what a red herring was from Monkey Island... that joke didn't click till later :P Neither did the pun-based "head of the navigator" one until after I tried every item on those damn cannibals.

God, that head pun - I solved it the same way. So I guess we learnt diligence...?

Oh yeah, also what a hermit was and what memos are. Might have learnt about zombies from MI2, as well, if I hadn't already from Mighty Max.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    When learning to read, I doubled my efforts so that I could play The Secret of Monkey Island sooner rather than later (I was nearly four years old when it was released).

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    This thread is destined to be filled with joke replies about mushrooms and weakpoints and VR simulators and zombies. But don't let that get you down!

I played a lot of text-heavy games when my reading skills were just starting to form. Final Fantasy kept me reading even while playing games. The vocab wasn't the greatest but I got really good at reading short passages in nearly an instant and pulling from them any useful information.

Other than that, I dunno how much games "taught" me. Not a whole lot. But they were fun and at least caused me to engage my brain unlike TV.

I'm in the same boat. I remember playing games with lots of reading when I was younger and it really helped my reading skills. I was top of my class for reading for quite a few years because of this.

SirUltimos on
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Memorization.
    LP RP LK RP LP RP LP RK RP LP
    LP RP LP RP LK LK RP LP RP RK
    DF+LP RP RP LP LK LK LK RK LK RK
    etc.

FreddyD on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Gaming generally improved my co-ordination rather a lot.
    Besides that... never picked up much, I don't think.

Xagarath on
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    X-COM taught me how to use squad-based tactics in combat. It was a hard learned lesson, because it was either that or all my soldiers fucking died. (Also, a blaster launcher beats all hands.)

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Docken wrote: »
    "What can change the nature of a man?"

A miserable pile of secrets!

Wait, wrong game.

Delzhand on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I learned where to vent if I had a bad day- Rampage, Smash Bros., Destruction Derby 64.

I also learned what San Marino looks like (Carmen Sandiego). It looks like a hill with a castle on it. That's about it. It took me several more years, despite this, to figure out that Formula 1's San Marino Grand Prix isn't actually held in San Marino.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Delzhand wrote: »

Wait, wrong game.

Mankind ill needs a savior such as you!

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Allways, allways check behind waterfalls.

LewieP on
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Well, for starters, I wouldnt be nearly as efficient a killing machine as I am now if I hadnt spent all those long, long hours playing all those murder simulation games.......

[/parody]

quovadis13 on
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I once hid in a cardboard box from my girlfriend and caught her cheating with LIQUID SNAKE.

I'm still dating her: at least it wasn't Raiden.

No, but seriously I learned to multitask from Starcraft. Micro/Macro, and all that. Plus, you get some basic math skills from JRPGs and what not, counting all the numbers.. not to mention the engrish. Also: I can stuff a room FULL of boxes ala Tetris, now.

4rch3nemy on
  • Non-Existent FreezerNon-Existent Freezer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    As many have mentioned, I learned a hell of a lot of my vocabulary from text based games, as well as some degree of teamwork, especially verbal communication when pressed for time.

Non-Existent Freezer on
    g2kc7.png
  • mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Read my sig.

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I learned: never, NEVER enlist.

(Thanks America's Army, and America's Army: Rise of a Soldier!)

I learned from an early age to always identify the contents of a mysterious flask before drinking. Also when attempting to kill monsters in a dungeon, your chances of survival are directly proportional to your typing speed.

(Thanks Dungeons of Daggorath!)

I learned to avoid following an enemy into small rooms. Also it's easy to frustrate and infuriate people by dodging their attacks and never fighting back.

(Thanks, Subspace!)

I learned to always aim for the legs. If you can't do that, pop out and surprise-chainsaw your enemies instead.

(Thanks, Gears of War!)

I learned caltrips are your friend. Caltrips are my favorite weapon. I LOVE caltrips. LOVE them! (OK, yeah, that's a quote.)

(Thanks, Shadow Warrior!)

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Tetris taught me to always leave a single open square in each row of my walls.
    God Hand taught me that Wrestling Gorilla's with Zippers on their back are trying to kill me, as well as various midgets.
    Seriously, though, pretty much everything that has already been mentioned

Gorilla Salad on
  • MerovingiMerovingi regular
    edited February 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I'd like to know if videogames have dulled people's fears in tense situations. Does the avid Burnout player's heart skip a beat when, in real life, he faces a near-collision in his car? Or does he handle it calmly and get out of trouble with steady nerves?

Though it is arguable, I say that I've been desensitized (to a point) by video games, movies, and TV so certain themes and situations don't bother as much as they probably "should." I should note that I don't see anything wrong with desensitization... coping and dealing with potential nasty stuff is an advantage in my opinion.. but... Anyway, I have been in a few near-accidents while driving. Luckily they wouldn't have been serious but because of quick reaction time I was able to avoid them. Now, I don't know if it's because of playing a lot of video games, but I've noticed that I do have some pretty damn good reflexes. I've also noticed that I'm pretty calm "under fire," so to speak.

Again, I don't know if I'd be the same way if I hadn't played a lot of video games but I like to think that it's helped a little.

One way video games has "helped" me, I guess, is through knowledge. This mostly applies to military and warfare themes so it doesn't exactly help me in every day life, per se, but knowledge is knowledge :P Anyway, through playing all the Jane's Combat Simulations, Falcon 4.0, OperationFlashpoint, and other military sims I've learned a lot through reading the in game reference or by learning on my own because it's peeked my interest. I grew up, as a kid, being very interested in all the warplanes and helicopters so the interest was natural but playing the games enhanced as well assisted in what I now know today. The things I know about warplanes, how they work, how they're used is because of the video games I've played. Hell, put me in a real F-16 cockpit and I'd be able to do a hell of a lot more than your average person who isn't a pilot in the airforce. I'm no fighter-pilot, sure, but playing Falcon 4.0 with full realistic avionics has taught me a great deal. I learned, from playing America's Army, how to unjam an M4 but I don't think that's very useful in day-to-day affairs.. who knows.. maybe one day.

So, things like that..

Merovingi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Delzhand wrote: »

Wait, wrong game.

What a horrible night for a misquote.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    What a horrible night for a misquote.

EvilBadman... What do you here?

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    SimBen wrote: »
    EvilBadman... What do you here?

Sometimes, even I don't know.

On topic: The historic strategy games are gold for learning. Also pen and paper RPGs taught me the importance of maths.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • XusderXusder Some dude... Middle of NowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    My interest in guns were stemmed from alot of games, but the game that stands out the most was Metal Gear Solid 2.

Especially the gruff voice of David Hayter explaining the details of the AKS-74u or SOCOM H&K Mk23 Mod0 Pistol.

MGS3 does an even better job with SIGINT. Tons of hours wasted in the communications screen listening to the details of the XM-16E1 and Colt Single Action Army.

Pure awesomeness.

Also, random facts were learned from those games. Many random facts...

Xusder on
    YES, I DO LIKE COURIER NEW!
  • ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Learned how to manage my stocks and get the best profit margins.

Thanks to Ultima Online

In the early days of Ultima I was a killer/murderer, but eventually my connection was getting too laggy so I had to focus on craft skills.

I joined up with a guild that basically specialized in business turn-arounds. We worked with some people who's businesses were going to the shitter and helped them bring them back up majestically. We made millions and millions of GP. By the end I had about 300 million+ GP in the bank.

Obs on
  • Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'll be damned if Pokémon didn't teach half my school to read.

Torso Boy on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I learned how to plan the most efficient way to level up from RPGs.

Couscous on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    DAoC taught me to get up and try again. In my old guild, I was scrounge to do assassin missions for Realm points but thanks to moving on, I am getting nearly one realm level every night I RvR!

Lucky Cynic on
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I think I learned to not enlist from watching the first half of Full Metal Jacket.

Anyway, I can't think of anything at the moment that games have taught me.

JJ on
  • natxcrossnatxcross Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Skooldaze taught me how to get through sk... school. (Don't get caught.)

Sim City 2000 taught me basic organisation skills. (Don't put your nice stuff next to stuff that smells.)

TFX taught me the value of being prepared. (Don't wait until you're flying on fumes before you try to find out how to land the plane.)

Baldur's Gate 2 taught me how to deal with other people. (Be kind to everyone until they pull a weapon.)

Deus Ex taught me that actions have consequences.

Operation Flashpoint taught me the value of running away.

natxcross on
    edited February 2007
    Resident Evil taught me that no matter how much firepower you have, you still need a key to open a locked door.
    Phoenix Wright taught me that we need to eliminate juries, re-instate the death penalty, and make it so that trials can only last 3 days.

Gorilla Salad on
  • YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Playing the Call of Duty games helped me in my U.S. History class.

YardGnome on
    edited February 2007
    YardGnome wrote: »
    Playing the Call of Duty games helped me in my U.S. History class.
    Play 3 WW2 games and you can give detailed explanations of the tactics used on D-day, a relatively close estimate of how many casualties there were, and what happened on D-Day.

Gorilla Salad on
    edited February 2007
    Senor Fish wrote: »
    Play 3 WW2 games and you can give detailed explanations of the tactics used on D-day, a relatively close estimate of how many casualties there were, and what happened on D-Day.

Play three Star Wars games and you will learn more about Hoth than you ever wanted to know.

Couscous on
    edited February 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    Play three Star Wars games and you will learn more about Hoth than you ever wanted to know.
    I learned nothing about Hoth from KOTOR 1, 2, and Rogue Squadron 2. I just know it's really fucking cold. That's all I ever wanted to know, so...

Gorilla Salad on
  • matt7718matt7718 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Civilization taught me a lot about history and what types of technolgies changed the world.

Knowing about granaries and temples and wonders of the world when I was 7 made me appear a LOT smarter than I really was.

matt7718 on
    mattsig.jpg
  • SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I learned a substantial amount of vocabulary when I was younger from video games.

I also learned that when first starting a journey, even rats will probably rape you in the face.

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    Allways, allways check behind waterfalls.

Haha... i remember thinking exactly this in Oblivion when i came across about a 60 foot waterfall southsouthwest of the main city, and surprisingly there was nothing there.

Barcardi on
  • The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Whenever you find yourself on a task that proves too difficult for you to accomplish, the only method proven to work 100% of the time is to get 200 of your closest friends and ZERG RUSH THAT BITCH.

-Painting a house? ZERG RUSH IT
    -Throwing a kick ass party? ZERG RUSH IT
    -Doing your exams? ZERG RUSH IT
    -Assaulting a Terran base with 3 marine filled bunkers and 4 seige tanks? ZERG RUSH IT (Carefully)

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I learned how to apply a tornaquet(or however the hell it is spelled,) from America's Army.

Wombat!! on
    edited February 2007
    I learned that you can count on some of your trusted friends to suddenly reveal that they are evil despite the fact that they had the opportunity to kill you dozens of times.

Couscous on
  • DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I know far too much about ancient combat and warfare. Totally needless information, but there you go.

Duki on