As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stimulus packages

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't see how the signing of the stimulus has any effect on the Dow, isn't it taking massive hits right now because the final q4 reports are coming in and they're all terrible?

override367 on
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So what's this about this college tax credit? I was going out of pocket and have a fair amount of debt to devry, and didn't know such a thing existed. How does one get that thing once this is all in place?

You probably can't get it for this semester, but if you aren't going to graduate this summer then you can apply for it next semester. I'd still talk to financial aid or whatever and see if you can get some monies now as it isn't gonna hurt anything, but I think you're screwed.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    So what's this about this college tax credit? I was going out of pocket and have a fair amount of debt to devry, and didn't know such a thing existed. How does one get that thing once this is all in place?

You probably can't get it for this semester, but if you aren't going to graduate this summer then you can apply for it next semester. I'd still talk to financial aid or whatever and see if you can get some monies now as it isn't gonna hurt anything, but I think you're screwed.

Well to go back to devry it's only $700/month they want me to start paying them, presumable I could pay one payment and also get this tax credit. I shall ask their financial aid department!

Then I can just finish up this stupid associates degree and go to a school I can afford.

override367 on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't see how the signing of the stimulus has any effect on the Dow, isn't it taking massive hits right now because the final q4 reports are coming in and they're all terrible?

We govern by DOW! Get with the program.

Always remember that the collective intellects of everyone who appears on cable news minus Rachel Maddow is approximately equal to that of a dead squirrel.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Anyone who attributes anything to the short term movement of the Dow is a fucking idiot who knows nothing about traders.

geckahn on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

It's a big day for the auto industry as they have to make a progress report on their restructuring efforts. So there may be some anxiety over that.

Savant on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I personally think traders were idiots today and should have been buying in companies that will benefit from the stimulus bill.

But what do I know.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    There's a photo gallery on whitehouse.gov
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/photogallery/The-story-of-the-economic-recovery-package/

Caption 4 (via politicalwire)
    Jan. 27, 2009: House Republicans surround the President after the meeting. Many of them were seeking his autograph. Every House Republican eventually voted against the bill.

edit The photo gallery is actually pretty awesome by itself

Pic 8 is awesome.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Speaker wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    There's a photo gallery on whitehouse.gov
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/photogallery/The-story-of-the-economic-recovery-package/

Caption 4 (via politicalwire)
    Jan. 27, 2009: House Republicans surround the President after the meeting. Many of them were seeking his autograph. Every House Republican eventually voted against the bill.

edit The photo gallery is actually pretty awesome by itself

Pic 8 is awesome.

Yeah, the White House is pretty swank thanks mostly to Truman and Kennedy. Also, to a lesser extent, Bush updating the Sit Room and Press Briefing Room. Though it seems like they could/should still enlarge and improve the West Wing and the East Wing a bit.

moniker on
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm now working 11 Hours a week...

Awesome...

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    victor_c26 wrote: »
    I'm now working 11 Hours a week...

Awesome...

I'm working 60.

Would you like a job cooking in a mexican restaurant? I'll give that one to you for a small piece of the action.

Speaker on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Gov. Bobby Jindal of Louisiana is now saying he may refuse his state's share of the stimulus money.

At least he can say he's adhering to free-market principles!

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Harrier wrote: »
    Gov. Bobby Jindal of Louisiana is now saying he may refuse his state's share of the stimulus money.

At least he can say he's adhering to free-market principles!

I thought that there was language in the bill that allowed the state legislature to side-step the governor and obtain these funds for themselves. I brought it up earlier in the thread but I don't think anyone ever replied. I can't remember where I heard it, probably on the radio. I'm gonna look for it.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2009
    Louisiana will writhe feebly in its poverty and dismay.

Meanwhile, Jindal is on the fast track to GOP Sacrificial Lamb '12.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Nah. He's young.

He might run, but only to build support and contacts for 2016.

Speaker on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2009
    Speaker wrote: »

Nah. He's young.

He might run, but only to build support and contacts for 2016.

Young.

Like Obama.

And he's non-white.

Like Obama.

How could he possibly lose.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Texas' Governor is making low level grumblings about the stimulus package. But all it will end up meaning is that we'll be very careful whether to expend the entirety of the package. We're not about to blindly saddle ourselves with future obligations.

But rejecting it on principle? Man, we've got to repay our share of the package anyways, might as well spend what we can.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    MasadaMasada Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    geckahn wrote: »

Anyone who attributes anything to the short term movement of the Dow is a fucking idiot who knows nothing about traders.

Didn't the Dow go down over 600 points the first day the markets opened after 9-11?

Masada on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I personally think traders were idiots today and should have been buying in companies that will benefit from the stimulus bill.

But what do I know.

Too much. The black helicopters will be along shortly.

MKR on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Septus wrote: »
    Texas' Governor is making low level grumblings about the stimulus package. But all it will end up meaning is that we'll be very careful whether to expend the entirety of the package. We're not about to blindly saddle ourselves with future obligations.

But rejecting it on principle? Man, we've got to repay our share of the package anyways, might as well spend what we can.
    I'll be interested in how Texas handles the stimulus, and later Obama's energy plan. As far as I can tell the state is not yet in recession, and since we lead the nation in wind power we could get a big boost if the upcoming energy bill has lots of money for wind.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Fun Fact: Luisiana is a shithole.
    Its per capita personal income is US$30,952, ranking 41st in the United States.[17]

http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/poverty/histpov/hstpov19.html
    It beats out most states in a bad way in terms of poverty.

Couscous on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

How could he possibly lose.

Well if there's any way to win the Southern Republican vote, its to be a dark skinned guy with a foreign name. Oh and Catholic doesn't hurt. Shame that he isn't Muslim or Jewish but it'll have to do.
    Sec. 1607. (a) Certification by Governor.--Not later than
    45 days after the date of enactment of this Act, for funds
    provided to any State or agency thereof, the Governor of the
    State shall certify that: (1) the State will request and use
    funds provided by this Act; and (2) the funds will be used to
    create jobs and promote economic growth.
    (b) Acceptance by State Legislature.--If funds provided to
    any State in any division of this Act are not accepted for
    use by the Governor, then acceptance by the State
    legislature, by means of the adoption of a concurrent
    resolution, shall be sufficient to provide funding to such
    State.
    (c) Distribution.--After the adoption of a State
    legislature's concurrent resolution, funding to the State
    will be for distribution to local governments, councils of
    government, public entities, and public-private entities
    within the State either by formula or at the State's
    discretion.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I'll be interested in how Texas handles the stimulus, and later Obama's energy plan. As far as I can tell the state is not yet in recession, and since we lead the nation in wind power we could get a big boost if the upcoming energy bill has lots of money for wind.

Wind also means more business for Denmark, we have one of the worlds largest wind companies and they're pretty much the only ones still putting out healthy reports. I should get a job there, they pay 40% more then the average for pretty much every position.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Demiurge wrote: »

Wind also means more business for Denmark, we have one of the worlds largest wind companies and they're pretty much the only ones still putting out healthy reports. I should get a job there, they pay 40% more then the average for pretty much every position.

It'll probably mean more business for GE, actually. Though the Danes are doing pretty good with the European market as Germany and France are upping their renewables portfolio. It'll be interesting to see what happens after the design of them reach the maximum of ~59% efficiency in a few years as after that point it's basically just a cost issue and a size issue for manufacturing.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    geckahn wrote: »

Hey it's just what I read, that companies for the last few weeks have been throwing out murderously horrid q4 reports and it's been shitting the market. I'm not an economist, but it seems reasonable. This is in addition to the 500,000 other depressing economic things that have been happening.
    Louisiana sucks

iirc, Louisiana is one of the "Welfare states" that injests more money than it excretes, which would make the governer a hypocrite.

override367 on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    As I get home, you remember how I showed five promises that got a score on the Obameter from the stimulus bill?

Hahahaha, wow, did that understate things. Think more like 50. They aren't official on the website yet, but... yeah. Some of the other promises covered (again, only a fraction of the total):
    But the new law includes dozens more that weren’t initially intended as an economic stimulus. On energy, it addresses promises such as No. 452, “Weatherize 1 million homes per year” and No. 468, “Require hybrid fleet at the White House.” On the environment, it addresses No. 500, “Increase funding for the Environmental Protection Agency” and No. 263, “Improve water quality.”

The bill addresses many other promises that could be labeled “miscellaneous,” such as No. 278, “Remove more brush, small trees and vegetation that fuel wildfires,” No. 371, “Fund a major expansion of AmeriCorps,” and No. 345, “Enhance earth mapping.”

The problem, now, is what the hell do you do for an encore.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Pass universal healthcare. Then you take a cool down lap with comprehensive energy reform, and wrap it all up with 6 years of kicking back and relaxing :)

werehippy on
  • Options
    KevinNashKevinNash Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    werehippy wrote: »
    Pass universal healthcare. Then you take a cool down lap with comprehensive energy reform, and wrap it all up with 6 years of kicking back and relaxing :)

While the economy crumbles and hyper inflation squeezes the last remaining social mobility out of the middle class right after the new new deal runs out of capital, foreign banks collect on their debts and social security implodes.

Jimmy Carter Part II is going to be fascinating to watch.

KevinNash on
  • Options
    AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    KevinNash wrote: »

While the economy crumbles and hyper inflation squeezes the last remaining social mobility out of the middle class right after the new new deal runs out of capital, foreign banks collect on their debts and social security implodes.

And then, werewolves!

Abbalah on
  • Options
    MatrijsMatrijs Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

You, of all people, should be a Jimmy Carter fan. He was one of the biggest deregulation Presidents in our nation's history, deregulating the airlines, trucking, rail, communications, and financial industries.

And look at all the good it did for our economy over the same period!

Matrijs on
  • Options
    KevinNashKevinNash Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Matrijs wrote: »

You, of all people, should be a Jimmy Carter fan. He was one of the biggest deregulation Presidents in our nation's history, deregulating the airlines, trucking, rail, communications, and financial industries.

And look at all the good it did for our economy over the same period!

His foreign policy was decent. He withdrew troops from South Korea in contrast to Obama escalating in Afghanistan. He also cut the defense budget.

But his economic policies? Atrocious. Price controls, Windfall Profit Taxes, the increase of the payroll tax? Pretty awful.

KevinNash on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2009

How much do you know about the mechanisms by which inflation actually works?

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

This is just not going to happen.

Hachface on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

As I understand it, the oil industry is going to be/is being hit hard, and that hurts us a lot (especially around Houston).

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

As someone who is uninsured, allow me to say DO IT NOW OBAMA OH GOD.

MrMister on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    MrMister wrote: »

As someone who is uninsured, allow me to say DO IT NOW OBAMA OH GOD.

This.

Though I'm willing to start with something less comprehensive at first so people can get a taste of what First World medicine is actually like.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    As someone who IS insured:
    allow me to say DO IT NOW OBAMA.

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Elitistb wrote: »
    As someone who IS insured:
    allow me to say DO IT NOW OBAMA.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Gosling wrote: »
    As I get home, you remember how I showed five promises that got a score on the Obameter from the stimulus bill?

Hahahaha, wow, did that understate things. Think more like 50. They aren't official on the website yet, but... yeah. Some of the other promises covered (again, only a fraction of the total):
    But the new law includes dozens more that weren’t initially intended as an economic stimulus. On energy, it addresses promises such as No. 452, “Weatherize 1 million homes per year” and No. 468, “Require hybrid fleet at the White House.” On the environment, it addresses No. 500, “Increase funding for the Environmental Protection Agency” and No. 263, “Improve water quality.”

The bill addresses many other promises that could be labeled “miscellaneous,” such as No. 278, “Remove more brush, small trees and vegetation that fuel wildfires,” No. 371, “Fund a major expansion of AmeriCorps,” and No. 345, “Enhance earth mapping.”

The problem, now, is what the hell do you do for an encore.

The funny thing about this is that Polifact seems to have realized that having an active and effective President who keeps his promises might result in some work. So instead they're like "Um, he fulfilled a bunch of promises" and haven't gotten around to updating their database yet.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
This discussion has been closed.