As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chrono Trigger] The black wind howls...

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I forget how difficult the Magus boss battle is when you're party is level 20'ish. Yeesh. He kicked me around several times this weekend before I lucked in to killing him, and I know the strategy! That was a really, really tough mid-game boss battle for it's time...which was very refreshing...making the (up to that point) major bad guy actually capable of being a bad ass.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Cool, thanks Jayson. :)

urahonky on
  • HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    Also, that flying fortress... Is that a point of no return?
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    The Omen? No, but it's a pain in the ass to get out of if you're in far enough. The rooms of the Omen reset as soon as you leave them, so to get OUT of the Omen requires fighting all the monsters (except bosses) that you fought to get IN. There's an emergency exit if you need it, though- deep in the fortress, there's a pair of Nu. One sells items, the other can launch you out of the fortress if you require it.

You can get out later on as well. I can't say any more really but you can go through one way and still get out, so don't worry about that.

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    There is, but you have to face a gauntlet of at least three bosses to get there:

First you have to face Queen Zeal, in her human form. Doesn't really do much of anything but throw Hallation (HP=1) and single attacks. Pretty easy, but she really likes to counter with fucking Hallation.

Then, she throws you into the Mammon Machine. Ooooh, big boss battle, right? Nope. Physical attacks boost its defense, magic boosts offense. Hit it with physical attacks until it attacks, then when it says it's standing still, beat the goddamned snot out of it. As in, "it's just standing there, let's wreck it before it moves again."

Zeal, Mask form: Okay, this one's the hard part. She likes to use lots of magic attacks, and if you so much as look at the hands cross-eyed, they'll counter with MP Buster (MP = 0) or Lifeshaver (HP = 1) on that character. Charm the hands if you want, it's a good way to catch another Prism Helm or Prism Dress.

Finally, if you haven't beaten it yet, you'll end up facing Lavos's first form. This can be a bitch if you're still hurting from the Zeal fight, so hopefully your supplies can get you through the gauntlet.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
    edited February 2009
    Since I"m at about level 53 for my party I don't think I'll have an issue. :)

urahonky on
    edited February 2009
    With Megaelixers you won't ever have a problem with that lot.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Helloween wrote: »
    With Megaelixers you won't ever have a problem with that lot.

And if you run out, you can always Charm more with Ayla.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • TimestonesTimestones Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    There is, but you have to face a gauntlet of at least three bosses to get there:

First you have to face Queen Zeal, in her human form. Doesn't really do much of anything but throw Hallation (HP=1) and single attacks. Pretty easy, but she really likes to counter with fucking Hallation.

Then, she throws you into the Mammon Machine. Ooooh, big boss battle, right? Nope. Physical attacks boost its defense, magic boosts offense. Hit it with physical attacks until it attacks, then when it says it's standing still, beat the goddamned snot out of it. As in, "it's just standing there, let's wreck it before it moves again."

Zeal, Mask form: Okay, this one's the hard part. She likes to use lots of magic attacks, and if you so much as look at the hands cross-eyed, they'll counter with MP Buster (MP = 0) or Lifeshaver (HP = 1) on that character. Charm the hands if you want, it's a good way to catch another Prism Helm or Prism Dress.

Finally, if you haven't beaten it yet, you'll end up facing Lavos's first form. This can be a bitch if you're still hurting from the Zeal fight, so hopefully your supplies can get you through the gauntlet.
    You can heal before the fight with Lavos's first form I believe. The battle won't start until you walk up to him and initiate it. That, or you might be able to retreat, I don't remember exactly.

Also concerning the Mammon Machine, if you have Frog in the party and he's equipped with the Masamune you can have him attack the machine and it'll have an added effect. I think the Masamune ends up lowering its attack power or something along those lines. Man, I need to play the game again now.

Timestones on
    edited February 2009
    Timestones wrote: »

You can heal before the fight with Lavos's first form I believe. The battle won't start until you walk up to him and initiate it. That, or you might be able to retreat, I don't remember exactly.

Also concerning the Mammon Machine, if you have Frog in the party and he's equipped with the Masamune you can have him attack the machine and it'll have an added effect. I think the Masamune ends up lowering its attack power or something along those lines. Man, I need to play the game again now.

End boss spoilers
    You can heal before each 'part' of the fight, so it's laughable really.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I am fighting
    Lavos' first form. I think I went into the Black Omen in 12,000 BC on accident instead of the future ones. I seem to remember someone saying I can get out of the Lavos fight to leave and go do the other Omens. Is that correct?

SirToasty on
  • RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You can leave the battle, but if you entered the 12,000 BC Omen then it's too late to do the others.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2009
    I don't know how I accidentally went into that one. I swear I did the 1000 AD one.

Oh well.

Time to go kick Lavos' ass.

SirToasty on
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    No matter which Omen you complete, you'll see Lavos erupt in 12,000 BC.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Does anyone have any suggestions on where to find the wonder rock in the lost sanctum or dimensional vortex? Everywhere I've read says that it appears at "random", but there must be some screens where it will appear versus screens where it won't. Where have you guys seen them?

NickTheNewbie on
  • The Last GentThe Last Gent Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ok, so, any tips on beating the final bosses final form?
    Lavos's small body with the two cores on either side. I know the core on the right is the "real" target. It has insane levels of defense that will only lower if you kill one of the nonessential parts, and it has to revive it. Problem is this guy dishes out so much damage to me I have to waste some of that vulnerable time healing, if I just bum-rush him with attacks during the vulnerable phase I end up getting killed. So I guess my question is, a) does he have any other weaknesses/tricks/exploits, and b) any tips in general?

I didn't do the Lost Sanctum, so I'm in the middle of that and hoping the EXP will put me in a better spot to face Lavos again.

The Last Gent on
    edited February 2009
    Ok, so, any tips on beating the final bosses final form?
    Lavos's small body with the two cores on either side. I know the core on the right is the "real" target. It has insane levels of defense that will only lower if you kill one of the nonessential parts, and it has to revive it. Problem is this guy dishes out so much damage to me I have to waste some of that vulnerable time healing, if I just bum-rush him with attacks during the vulnerable phase I end up getting killed. So I guess my question is, a) does he have any other weaknesses/tricks/exploits, and b) any tips in general?

I didn't do the Lost Sanctum, so I'm in the middle of that and hoping the EXP will put me in a better spot to face Lavos again.

The main body has a lot of attacks that half your HP. The two bits together can do some serious damage. Magic heals the left bit. I would start out by going all out on the left bit with the strongest physical attacks you have. Ayla's triple kick, crono's frenzy, robo's rapid-fire punch, frog's frog squash. Stuff like that. Once he's done for, start pounding the main body with the strongest single target attacks you have. Strong versions of Ice sword and Fire sword, for example. The right bit will drop its defense shortly after you take out other the left bit or the body, so once the right bit drops its defense, just hammer it with luminaire and flare and the like. Either of the remaining guys will be taken out in the fallout of a couple uses of those, assuming you've done a little bit of damage to them already.

Also, the left bit only has 2000 HP, so it's wise to take it out first.

NickTheNewbie on
    edited February 2009
    I pretty much just ignored the main body and concentrated on the right bit. The Left bit I take out in one hit with Crono's Frenzy attack. Pay close attention to the messages at the top of the screen; the right pod will tell you when its defense is lowered/raised. When the defense goes up, that's your time to heal. Keep plenty of Megalixers...I had 8 the first time I fought Lavos and used all of them.

Cameron_Talley on
  • The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I pretty much just ignored the main body and concentrated on the right bit. The Left bit I take out in one hit with Crono's Frenzy attack. Pay close attention to the messages at the top of the screen; the right pod will tell you when its defense is lowered/raised. When the defense goes up, that's your time to heal. Keep plenty of Megalixers...I had 8 the first time I fought Lavos and used all of them.

Pretty much the same here: take out the left bit with quick physical attacks, then pound the right bit. If you're spamming luminare/dark matter etc the main body should go down as collateral.

The Fourth Estate on
    edited February 2009

Pretty much the same here: take out the left bit with quick physical attacks, then pound the right bit. If you're spamming luminare/dark matter etc the main body should go down as collateral.

Don't overlook Double/Triple techs, either. Last night, I beat Lavos with Marle and Crono, and I found that Ice Sword II did almost 1000 more damage than Luminare. (I have the prism spectacles on Crono, so maybe that helps).

Also, watch your HP and make sure it never dips below 500 if possible.

Cameron_Talley on
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Final Kick has always been my favorite skill.

Artereis on
    edited February 2009
    Does anyone have any suggestions on where to find the wonder rock in the lost sanctum or dimensional vortex? Everywhere I've read says that it appears at "random", but there must be some screens where it will appear versus screens where it won't. Where have you guys seen them?

NickTheNewbie on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    12000 BC vortex has a snowy hill

I got a Wonder Rock at the top of it

Elendil on
    edited February 2009
    Boss:
    I never kill the left bit. It's irrelevant, unless you really want to use Luminaire on the right bit during it's vulnerable phase. I usually wail on the center bit with Luminaire, then use Crono's physical attacks on the right bit after it bites it. Rainbow + Prism Specs does hellish damage by itself.

Elendil on
  • JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Elendil wrote: »
    Boss:
    I never kill the left bit. It's irrelevant, unless you really want to use Luminaire on the right bit during it's vulnerable phase. I usually wail on the center bit with Luminaire, then use Crono's physical attacks on the right bit after it bites it. Rainbow + Prism Specs does hellish damage by itself.
    The left bit only have 2K HP while the centre one have 10K, and you need only one to be down to be able to damage the right one. Thus you can spend more turns damaging the one that really matters by killing the left bit first.

And about the wonderrock - You can meet them in one of the Vortex or in either Lost Sanctrum. Be sure to twin charm it as soon as the battle begins. It runs away after a few turns, and it have quite the defense. It do gives 10K XP if you manage to kill it so it's worth a try if your level is really high.

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
    edited February 2009
    Just finished the game. Man that was awesome. I'll have to go through again in the future so I can get more of the endings. :)

urahonky on
    edited February 2009
    Lavos didn't give me too much trouble.

I was in the mid-60s though.

Got a bit overleveled somewhere back there.

SirToasty on
    edited February 2009
    SirToasty wrote: »

Honestly doing the new DS sidequests will probably do that. I still haven't done those. I guess I'll go back sometime and do them. When I'm bored.

Cameron_Talley on
    edited February 2009

Honestly doing the new DS sidequests will probably do that. I still haven't done those. I guess I'll go back sometime and do them. When I'm bored.
    The new ones are only Lost Sanctum and Dimensional Vortex right? I haven't done New Game + so all I could do was Lost Sanctum and I did it late and was overleveled for that even.

SirToasty on
    edited February 2009

The new ones are only Lost Sanctum and Dimensional Vortex right? I haven't done New Game + so all I could do was Lost Sanctum and I did it late and was overleveled for that even.

Right, only those two. I'm probably going to do them in the New Game+ I'm playing now.

Cameron_Talley on
  • JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, the original sidequests were more than enough to beat the game. The new ones are only needed to get the new DS-only ending.

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
    edited February 2009

Are you saying that area with all the one way doors that you can't enter? Or that area up at the very top right before you slide down, which those skeletons that jump you?

NickTheNewbie on
    edited February 2009

Are you saying that area with all the one way doors that you can't enter? Or that area up at the very top right before you slide down, which those skeletons that jump you?
    The latter.

Elendil on
    edited February 2009

The latter.

Alright I'll give that a try tonight. thx1138

NickTheNewbie on
  • The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I just completed the added content and I must say I've never felt so ripped off in my life. Fetch quests? Forced encounters? I would honestly rather have had the unadulterated game come to the VC than have this crap weigh down the rest of CT.

The Fourth Estate on
    edited February 2009
    I just completed the added content and I must say I've never felt so ripped off in my life. Fetch quests? Forced encounters? I would honestly rather have had the unadulterated game come to the VC than have this crap weigh down the rest of CT.

Well nobody forced you to do them. I plan to ignore them. They don't exist.

Cameron_Talley on
    edited February 2009
    I did the DV because it's mediocre, as opposed to awful, and because it opens up a new ending/neat boss fight.

I ain't touchin' the Lost Sanctum with a ten foot pole.

Elendil on
    edited February 2009

The latter.

Found it last night, thanks!

NickTheNewbie on
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sorry to dig up the thread, but I have a problem.

I just went back to 65,000,000 BC and the Reptites did not appear. Like an idiot I saved afterwards. So... am I screwed? I really don't want to have to restart.

SirUltimos on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    At what point in the game are you? You can go to pre-history earlier than you have to. You are only supposed to go there when trying to reforge the masamune.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
    edited March 2009
    jack eddy wrote: »
    At what point in the game are you? You can go to pre-history earlier than you have to. You are only supposed to go there when trying to reforge the masamune.

yeah, it's not until you get the masamune blade, hero medal, listen to frog emo out and take the masamune hilt from him, then have melchior tell you that you need the dreamstone.

NickTheNewbie on