As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WH40K: DoW2 multiplayer thread. Now with more jailings!

• Options
    SpindriftSpindrift Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Pancake wrote: »
    Croak wrote: »
    Gonna say this again, most of you in this thread should start at Captain difficulty level. And Primarch, while handing out a serious ass beating if you're playing alone, can be quite entertaining in co-op.

Also keep in mind that you can't change difficulty after starting a particular campaign (though you can have any number of campaigns going at once). We did that because the scoring and achievements are different between the various difficulty settings.

And if you're not logged into GFWL, you don't get achievements, nor can you play a campaign you've started in GFWL offline, or vice versa.

Croak, no one answered before, so can you answer?

Does the game require activation on Steam for singleplayer and for multiplayer? I've already bought it on Steam, but I was pretty curious about those with physical copies.

http://community.dawnofwar2.com/blogs/?p=525

I assume they're talking about Steam.

Spindrift on
  • Options
    CroakCroak Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Gonna say this again, most of you in this thread should start at Captain difficulty level. And Primarch, while handing out a serious ass beating if you're playing alone, can be quite entertaining in co-op.

Also keep in mind that you can't change difficulty after starting a particular campaign (though you can have any number of campaigns going at once). We did that because the scoring and achievements are different between the various difficulty settings.

And if you're not logged into GFWL, you don't get achievements, nor can you play a campaign you've started in GFWL offline, or vice versa.

Does the game require activation on Steam for singleplayer and for multiplayer? I've already bought it on Steam, but I was pretty curious about those with physical copies.

You activate it once to make sure it's legit (fucking 'rats have it already though, there goes Christmas), and then you can play offline all you want. But you need to authenticate through Steam anytime you want to log onto GFWL (achievement enabled single player, co-op campaign, or non-LAN multiplayer).

And Akira, I don't know of any Steam offers at this time, they were all slated for brick and mortar stores, with the exception of the THQ Store digital download. Might want to check that version out if you want goodies and don't want a box.

Croak on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

You activate it once to make sure it's legit (fucking 'rats have it already though, there goes Christmas), and then you can play offline all you want. But you need to authenticate through Steam anytime you want to log onto GFWL (achievement enabled single player, co-op campaign, or non-LAN multiplayer).

And Akira, I don't know of any Steam offers at this time, they were all slated for brick and mortar stores, with the exception of the THQ Store digital download. Might want to check that version out if you want goodies and don't want a box.

I know you don't work for Valve, so asking you about Steam specific stuff is boorish of me, but I'm tired and lazy. So.

If I buy it on Steam and install it on this computer, and then get a new computer in, say, a month, will I be able to use it on that computer without buying it again?

Hell, anyone who knows can answer that. I'm new to the whole Steam thing. Because I'm a nub.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    3clipse wrote: »

I know you don't work for Valve, so asking you about Steam specific stuff is boorish of me, but I'm tired and lazy. So.

If I buy it on Steam and install it on this computer, and then get a new computer in, say, a month, will I be able to use it on that computer without buying it again?

Hell, anyone who knows can answer that. I'm new to the whole Steam thing. Because I'm a nub.

Steam doesn't care if you play your games on a new computer.

All Valve seems to care about is account sharing, which shouldn't pop up in that case.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    3clipse wrote: »

Steam doesn't care if you play your games on a new computer.

All Valve seems to care about is account sharing, which shouldn't pop up in that case.

Groovy. Thanks for the answer.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    unpurposedunpurposed Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

As far as the physical copies go, what's the manual like?

unpurposed on
  • Options
    AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Does the THQ store actually have a direct download service? All I see are redirects to online retailers.

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    GearedGeared Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    When exactly does the game release for people on the west coast of the U.S. if we pre-orderd via Steam? Australia gets it at 12:01am Perth Australia time. (Source) I'm assuming that means I'll get it at 12:00am my time (GMT -8 I think).

Geared on
    "There are two skinny guys from Illinois who have made a difference, Abe Lincoln and Barrak Obama."
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That means it should be unlocked for me when I wake up in the morning.

Oh dear!

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Geared wrote: »
    When exactly does the game release for people on the west coast of the U.S. if we pre-orderd via Steam? Australia gets it at 12:01am Perth Australia time. (Source) I'm assuming that means I'll get it at 12:00am my time (GMT -8 I think).

Its listed as unlocking at 9am EST Thursday morning which would be 6am PST (most/all of the west coast). Assuming Steam is correct and doesn't end up unlocking late.

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Akira wrote: »
    Geared wrote: »

Its listed as unlocking at 9am EST Thursday morning which would be 6am PST (most/all of the west coast). Assuming Steam is correct and doesn't end up unlocking late.

You should probably count on at least ten to twenty minutes because they're never on time.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »
    That means it should be unlocked for me when I wake up in the morning.

Oh dear!

If it unlocks at perth time for everyone then I'll have it around 8:00am but I'm not sure since the steam counter says the game will unlock in one day and 8 hours. So I have no idea when it's going to actually be available.

Geared on
    "There are two skinny guys from Illinois who have made a difference, Abe Lincoln and Barrak Obama."
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Pretty fucking thin, sadly. It's not horrible, on par with most games these days, but we wanted to do a whole lot more with it.

Time bit us in the ass there. And I'll take the heat for that one, I was the guy who was going to jazz it up, but went to Australia for two weeks in October (1 week press tour, 1 week vacation because it was fucking AUSTRALIA, and it was fucking SPRINGTIME there!)

That two weeks was my wiggle room to do it, so it didn't get the proper love. I'm ashamed, but it was fucking AUSTRALIA and it was fucking SPRINGTIME there! Forgive me?

Croak on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Does the manual feature drop bears and kangaroos as units then?

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Pretty fucking thin, sadly. It's not horrible, on par with most games these days, but we wanted to do a whole lot more with it.

Time bit us in the ass there. And I'll take the heat for that one, I was the guy who was going to jazz it up, but went to Australia for two weeks (1 week press tour, 1 week vacation because it was fucking AUSTRALIA, and it was fucking SPRINGTIME there!)

That two weeks was my wiggle room to do it, so it didn't get the proper love. I'm ashamed, but it was fucking AUSTRALIA and it was fucking SPRINGTIME there! Forgive me?

I can forgive you only because most of us are just buying it online anyway and manuals lose their charm in .pdf form anyway.

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009

Time bit us in the ass there. And I'll take the heat for that one, I was the guy who was going to jazz it up, but went to Australia for two weeks in October (1 week press tour, 1 week vacation because it was fucking AUSTRALIA, and it was fucking SPRINGTIME there!)

What did you do in Australia? Seems like a beautiful place.

Urian on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Urian wrote: »
    Dodge dropbears, probably. That's what you do most of the time there. That and check your shoes for spiders that just get angry when you step on them.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CaenemCaenem Sarasota, FLRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I really want to try the Single Player campaign and see what it's like. I'm kinda still skeptical about it because early reviews haven't been great, but apparently they weren't on the full code and there is more variation and such. Very keen to see how the RPG aspects blend into the game.

Hopefully it will give me something to do while waiting for the seven hours it takes my gel purification column to pack and set up this weekend.

Go check out Metacritic, a couple new reviews went up today based on the zero-day patch version, the version you're buying, rather than the pre-release press build with November data and code.

Don't get me started on the folly of giving the press pre-release code that early, but print mags need that much lead time.

Long story short, we scored a couple 90's with the revised campaign version, compared to mid-low 80's with the old version.
    Supposedly one of those press pre-releases is out in the wild. D:

Caenem on
    But you, pig, are a lucky one. Tell us what we wish to know, and you may yet keep your bacon.
    Nemlock for online gaming
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I will consult the magic 8-ball on this forgiveness.

Well Shit.
    magic8ballgx8.jpg

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Forgiven. I mean it's REALLY nice down there.

Geared on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Urian wrote: »

Did a whirlwind press tour, Melbourne, Sydney, Gold Coast, and Brisbane in 5 days, then took my vacation.

That consisted of renting a Honda VFR in Brisbane, and taking a four day very scenic but spirited ride up the coast to Cairns, then spent a couple days there, then flew back to Vancouver. As an avid sport bike touring junkie, it was one of the better rides I've done, and I've done some great ones. Magic.

Croak on
  • Options
    CanisAquilusCanisAquilus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Does the THQ store actually have a direct download service? All I see are redirects to online retailers.

Highly, highly, highly relevent to my interests.

What bonuses does the THQ site get? More specifically is it in part the eight unique colours?

Also <3 Croak.

CanisAquilus on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Can you still make custom colors in the army painter?

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    unpurposedunpurposed Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well I just bought it through Steam with the added bonus of the fact that I won't be able to play it until I get my exams done with on Thursday so I have no temptation.

unpurposed on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

What bonuses does the THQ site get? More specifically is it in part the eight unique colours?

Also <3 Croak.

http://www.thq-games.com/uk/news/show/6213
    This exclusive edition includes the ‘Artificer Wargear Set’ which features:

One additional multiplayer map – "Legis High Stratum"
    Five pieces of Wargear for use in the singleplayer campaign
    Two Unique Purity Seals
    One Unique Space Marine Chapter – "Marauders"
    Four metallic army painter colours

Looks like it might be Europe only though.

Croak on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    How can a unique multiplayer map work well in this game anyway?

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

It's probably not be in the ranked playlist.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    DLC 5 months later?

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Also <3 Croak.

Two Unique Purity Seals

Yeah the price is listed in Euros so even if it is available outside Europe it'll be about 50% more expensive.

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    DLC 5 months later?

I doubt it'll be that long. And um, anyone notice the thread jumped up to 102 pages? Isn't that illegal or something?

Croak on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Also <3 Croak.

Two Unique Purity Seals

Yeah the price is listed in Euros so even if it is available outside Europe it'll be about 50% more expensive.

Yeah, about $62.00 USD, or $101,298.00 CAD.

Croak on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm going to be playing only Primarch difficulty.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    God theres like thirty unique colours out there between all the preorder kits...

Cant you just let me pay you for all the pre-order bonuses croak? Let me give you my money.

CanisAquilus on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    DLC 5 months later?

I doubt it'll be that long. And um, anyone notice the thread jumped up to 102 pages? Isn't that illegal or something?
    Oh, cool. So does that colors could be DLC, too? Or... or are you just allowed to make custom colors...?

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    God theres like thirty unique colours out there between all the preorder kits...

Cant you just let me pay you for all the pre-order bonuses croak? Let me give you my money.

If they can either be free DLC down the line or something I can buy soon after release I will be happy, all this running around for a handful of colours is starting to get slightly ridiculous.

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Goomba wrote: »
    DLC 5 months later?

Oh, cool. So does that colors could be DLC, too? Or... or are you just allowed to make custom colors...?

Oh yeah we were talking about this earlier, does the army painter just have a bunch of set colours or is it like DoW1 where you have a big palette to pick custom colours?

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Man, you just called me a pussy.

There is only one difficulty for me. One.

I started the original game on insane. The worst level was the Eldar one by far. Endless waves of guardians, banshees and I think Fire Prisms. Then that damn Avatar comes and you get a massive zerg again. Then they'd sneak a gate somewhere random and they'd Zerg you from behind your turrets and it was all arrrghhhh.

It was so satisfying to squish the whole lot of them in the end.

So no, there is ONE difficulty. The hardest and I will hear none of this nonsense there are other difficulty settings.

I will join you on this endeavor.

So the game was released here yesterday, got a call from EB Tuesday morning saying it was ready for collection and went to pick it up today. I'm all installed and ready to go, Steam says it unlocks at about 2 AM or so.

[tiny]I want to play it nowwwwww.[/tiny]

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Also <3 Croak.

Two Unique Purity Seals

Yeah, about $62.00 USD, or $101,298.00 CAD.

I am so tired, and have been studying for my cell biology exam for so long, that for several moments I actually though "wow, that's really expensive...poor Canadians."

Someone kill me.

Also, I'm literally counting the hours until I can download this game. Sweet, sweet Dawn of War II. Come to daddy.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Actually exchange rates being what they are, that euro option dosent look to bad, assuming the site I went to was accurate.

Apparently its 55 canadian.

CanisAquilus on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Actually exchange rates being what they are, that euro option dosent look to bad, assuming the site I went to was accurate.

Apparently its 55 canadian.

It's about 80$ Canadian.

Akira on
    akira.gif