As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]GuberKABLOOOOOOM

1373839404143»

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sierra Club meeting tonight, maybe hopefully, FINALLY I can make some progress on the e-waste thing.

And if I find out they did everything without me (because I've been run around to six different people without having gotten to actually accomplish anything), or if I find out this meeting is more vacation slides like the last meeting, I will be pissed off.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    BobCesca wrote: »
    Haphazard wrote: »
    The list of places I could move to (other than other towns in the UK) is rapidly becoming smaller and smaller.

I think I'm just too fussy.

You want something warm and dry, right?

nah...I don't mind that much, just not great at extremes.

Actually the main point of my fussiness tends to be politically motivated.

Hmm? What do you mean?

Haphazard on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Apparently, my top three college course choices have the opportunity to study abroad in third and forth year. It would be awesome if I got to do that.

Tav on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Podly: one of the many, many things that really pissed me off about Descartes was his insistence that thought and "I" are separate from the physical body. IMO because he was a small-minded little medievalist when it comes to science and no one back then had any idea how you could get something as complicated as thought out of a couple pounds of fatty tissue.

Is there any more to what he has going on there? I don't mean whatever bullshit his cronies have layered on top of his nonsense in the years since. But in his Meditations and Replies does he ever even address the possibility that his o-so-special "I" that is thinking is purely a physical apparatus?

Especially the second and third meditations seem to be nothing but an exercise is claiming assumptions he personally likes and agrees with as "truth" while assumptions he doesn't like or can't understand as "doubtful".

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    objective "self."

Well... an "objective self" is an illogical construction.
    Are you weary fancy pants right now?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    japan wrote: »
    Huh.

So basic_tech was a Morlock alt.

I really had to laugh as I read Jeffe's closing post. Guy's relentless.

It was the distinctly idiosyncratic perspective on Physics that had me wondering.

japan on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    LaOs wrote: »
    Too cold to snow happens around 20º, it's not that cold.

20F? That's not true at all. It was snowing this morning, and it was even colder than it is now. (It's -5F now.)

As I said earlier, QI told me last week that this whole "too cold to snow" thing is a myth - and the QI Elves never lie.

I had meant to ask, what is this QI business?

[Edit]
    Plus, it doesn't sound to me like you've lived anywhere near cold enough to test the theory :P

LaOs on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The list of places I could move to (other than other towns in the UK) is rapidly becoming smaller and smaller.

Hmm? What do you mean?

I wouldn't have wanted to live in the States during the Bush tenure, just as I wouldn't really want to live in a country that had any kind of right-wing party in charge. If I moved somewhere for a job I wouldn't really want to pay taxes to a government I had no respect for...kind of why I quite often think about leaving the UK.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009

Come to Massachusetts! It's warm in the summer and grey in the winter, it's just like home!

Plus, it's in New England. A lot of the town names will be familar to you! Like Cambridge! And Bristol!

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

20F? That's not true at all. It was snowing this morning, and it was even colder than it is now. (It's -5F now.)

As I said earlier, QI told me last week that this whole "too cold to snow" thing is a myth - and the QI Elves never lie.

It's a TV quiz show that has a load of interesting/quirky facts on it. The guys who make it have also done a few books.

Tav on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

It's this. generally, Stephen Fry being all smart and shit.

See also here

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I wouldn't have wanted to live in the States during the Bush tenure, just as I wouldn't really want to live in a country that had any kind of right-wing party in charge. If I moved somewhere for a job I wouldn't really want to pay taxes to a government I had no respect for...kind of why I quite often think about leaving the UK.

Come to Ireland. We just let our politicians sit in the corner and play with crayons.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    From what I'm able to gather over here, things are not getting better in the UK, it seems. But it's not really all that different over here, honestly. Ok, privacy rights are still a big taboo for anybody to touch (there have been a few incidents lately and the public outcry was enormous), so that's a good thing. But still, some of the stuff...

Haphazard on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

A quiz show where points are awarded for being interesting, and deducted for being boring and/or predictable. Actually answering the questions is more or less secondary, they serve as a good jumping off point for witty people.

japan on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    japan wrote: »

A quiz show where points are awarded for being interesting, and deducted for being boring and/or predictable. Actually answering the questions is more or less secondary, they serve as a good jumping off point for witty people.

Ohh that sounds interesting.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I wish philosophy weren’t so centered on technicalities. The details are only interesting to other philosophers, and it really hurts the effectiveness of the ideas. If you put people to sleep you can’t convince them you have a big insight.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    QI is quite good.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh cuddly Stephen Fry, how could anyone hate you?

Haphazard on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2009

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Hmm? What do you mean?

Move to Bolivia.... or Argentina.... Or Laos.... or Canada!

I'm definitely going to South America for as many months as I can afford when I get myself sorted in about two months.

Johannen on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Here we go.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It's time already?

Haphazard on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2009
    I'm playing Dwarf Fortress for the first time in ages.

My fort is named Ustirsákrith Zustashshezrôd Uthgúr, which is dwarf for... Crowblaze the Ancient Crotch of Demons!

Echo on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

technically, there is no too cold to snow. However, relative humidity comes into play. The colder the air, the less moisture it can hold. As such, snow will typically happen either where cold air meets warm air, or if there is warmer air above the cold air. so basically you need warm air and cold air. While not impossible, it can generally be said if you are in the middle of a large mass of cold enough air, it won't be snowing.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dont knoow why I left the homestead,
    I really must confess

Jokerman on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    MAEK THRED

Tav on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Stephen Fry always makes me think of Futurama even though he has nothing to do with it. Fry>Futurama

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    20040625h.jpg

Tycho wrote:
    Credit exchanges for Massive games are inimitably useful mechanisms - the notion behind them seems counterintuitive, and we've certainly enjoyed some amusement at their expense. But - if you're a person that thinks of your own time as the prime currency and the various manifestations and products of that time as inherently fungible, it makes a lot of sense to resort to brokers of strange currencies. If somebody takes advantage of your exchange itself, though - if they purposefully manipulate the intangibility of the product you sell - it must be a pain explaining to normal people exactly what it is you do.

I've been looking forward to Mario Golf: Advance Tour for quite a while, in large part because we've got a number of airline flights coming up and I need something to think about besides my untimely demise. It also uses Nintendo's Wireless Adapter, which I don't own, but it's nice to feel that I'm halfway there.

The way clubs connect with balls is virtually identical to Toadstool Tour on the Cube, which I enjoyed quite a lot, outside of the occasionally odd ball physics. For the longest time I was content to blame myself for these inversions of sensible behavior, blaming myself for the faults of others being a passtime I cleave to with great enthusiasm. At any rate, just as in the sometimes inexplicable Cube version you have your choice of automatic and manual shots, complete with power variations and various spin options. Putting is a little less ornate, but it's fine.

You have probably heard that the game uses a sort of RPG metaphor, which I was initially very excited about. Look at the Super Mario role-playing games for a hint at why - viewing the acknowledged structures of that genre through the template of the ridiculous, fungus-obsessed Mario context was (and is) illuminating. I have kind of a fetish where transposition is concerned, so it's possible that the game simply strokes some personal nub. It does set my mind to spinning, though, envisioning the contours of the golf/role-playing nexus.

The game's by Camelot, so you will be struck initially by the similarities to Golden Sun - but I really must say the RPG "story" mode doesn't turn my crank. It's really two separate games, like one genre with another genre perched atop its head. In practice, it is an exhausting, serpentine menu system which obscures actual play. You level up, and you talk to boring girls in iteration X of Japanese Exposition Theater. I don't care, and if I wasn't desperate for alternate versions of the courses I'd simply forget about it altogether. Luckily, while the game starts out with an almost unbearable about of inane dialogue, that hasn't been my experience farther in.

Even without indulging in that mode, though, there's plenty of game available at the outset for people without the stamina to endure mundane exercises - and the play is very satisfying. To use more than one GBA you're all going to need cartridges, which is unfortunate - but you can also play multi modes just by passing the device around, and that works fine. There's a healthy selection of these modes, as well: Stroke, Match, competitive and co-operative Doubles, Skins, a mode called Club Slots which randomly determines your equipment, as well as a Near-Pin challenge that makes for a quick competitive round. There's another one, called Go-Go Gates, which is this version's "Ring Attack" but feels like a combination of Golf and Croquet.

I guess it speaks well of the game that I can discard half of it and still be satisfied, but that's pretty much what we're talking about. The Golfing portions of this Golf game are excellent, and belong in your pocket.

(CW)TB out.

we've twenty seconds to comply

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ludious wrote: »

Won't believe it until Fox has it listed on their programming list.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.