As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

420 smoke [DOODLE] erryday

• misosoupmisosoup Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    r-jasper wrote: »
    definitely picked out the mondrian influence in that one.

lol. i'll have to ask google who Rothko is though :/

goto any middle class restaurant, it's the pictures on the wall.

misosoup on
    APTBSsig.jpg
  • .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sent this to Khoo:

such_a_khooty_pie.gif

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    d'awwww

Projeck on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ha, nice Firman.

Mustang on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    alienlit.png

ON ONE SIDE IS RADIOACTIVE WASTE
    ON THE OTHER SIDE IS A PINK FAERIE

OKAY?

OKAY.

mully on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i dont believe you

Projeck on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    as per the usual, mully, you are on my list of top most favoritest people

NotASenator on
  • r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    this is Bean (or Dean) De Boots. (can't decide. help?) i have to re-create him in 3D so that i can animate him :( it was fun making him out of plasticine... don't know how i'm going to go with it in maya.

P17-02-09_1612.jpg
    Bean with model sheet

P17-02-09_161201.jpg

P17-02-09_161202.jpg

P17-02-09_1614.jpg

P17-02-09_161401.jpg

P17-02-09_161402.jpg

P17-02-09_161403.jpg

lol sorry about the overkill.

r-jasper on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    that's delightful, jasper

Tam on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    JAWSOME MULLIES

[edit] whoops, botp'd:
    mully wrote: »
    alienlit.png

ON ONE SIDE IS RADIOACTIVE WASTE
    ON THE OTHER SIDE IS A PINK FAERIE

OKAY?

OKAY.

r-jasper wrote: »
    this is Bean (or Dean) De Boots. (can't decide. help?) i have to re-create him in 3D so that i can animate him :( it was fun making him out of plasticine... don't know how i'm going to go with it in maya.

P17-02-09_1612.jpg
    Bean with model sheet

P17-02-09_161201.jpg

P17-02-09_161202.jpg

P17-02-09_1614.jpg

P17-02-09_161401.jpg

P17-02-09_161402.jpg

P17-02-09_161403.jpg

lol sorry about the overkill.

NightDragon on
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    weak totp.

----

2.gif

1.gif

F87 on
    edited February 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    that's delightful, jasper
    cheers tam!
    do you think dean or bean works best?

r-jasper on
    edited February 2009
    F87 wrote: »
    weak totp.

----

2.gif

1.gif

I love seeing this technique in action for concept art.

NotASenator on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I wish I knew something about 3d to be able to do that.

Mustang on
  • XALXAL Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    that's pretty neat
    never thought of that!
    sketchup yeah?

XAL on
    edited February 2009
    if you have to produce a lot of scenes or different concepts, it makes getting the layout, lighting and perspective down a lot easier.

NotASenator on
  • XALXAL Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    if you have to produce a lot of scenes or different concepts, it makes getting the layout, lighting and perspective down a lot easier.

word. i needs to learn me some sketchups:lol:

XAL on
    edited February 2009
    I used to do that for storyboarding.

I'd render out a quick blocked scene and just sketch over it.

NotASenator on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    weak totp.

----

2.gif

1.gif

Frank this is actually really cool. The color and texture is nice.

Sketchup, right? I gotta learn me how to use that program.

Scosglen on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Sketchup, right? I gotta learn me how to use that program.

Yeah, me too!

And whoops, didn't know I got totp. D:

I'll edit mah post and put in botp stuff.

NightDragon on
  • Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    2i9rqjt.jpg

meh

Asamof the Horrible on
  • MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    finally finalized the composition. ready to dive in fullspeed tomorro

asdfdfghdfghdfgh_by_AdventDawn.jpg

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    weak totp.

----
    2.gif

1.gif

Thats a really good technique when you need to produce something good, in a short amount of time. i did similar with some concept art i was doing for a university assignment last year. Though, i had my brother model up a (basic) scene in Maya, based on my sketches, i pretty much just traced it in photoshop. Technically, i'd say it's cheating, but many professional concept artists do it, because of their close deadlines, and having producing many realistic renders a day. It saves a shit load of time.
    Mykonos wrote: »
    finally finalized the composition. ready to dive in fullspeed tomorro

asdfdfghdfghdfgh_by_AdventDawn.jpg

Looking good. Thoug, i think there should be a dam in the background. Would look totally awesome.

winter_combat_knight on
  • ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mykonos: At first I was like, why does the ninja get a speed trail but not the jet. Then I realized (I think) that you were using the jets trail to try and lead to the ninja? If that's the case though, I don't think that curve works, and the reverse (starts downward curving up) looks like it would fit better to my eye. I don't know, anyways, it looks pretty neat so far, I like to think he just set an explosive on the jet and was making dramatic escapage before explode times. Also, it might help to bank the jet (I think that means turn corresponding to the horizon, right?) slightly as he seems to be turning, and also will give the ninja jump a little weight, though it's not really necessary.

Shiboe on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think I'm about done with this bugger. Some of the rendering on the mans is a little cludgy but I'm not accustomed to painting figures so small and being forced to abstract out the big shapes of light like that, especially with colors. Certainly better than the original incarnation anyway D:

winterbattleREV.jpg

Scosglen on
    edited February 2009
    that's totally badass scosgel!

r-jasper on
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thanks everyone, Google Sketchup is very easy to learn, I picked it up and in about 2 hours was making shit. I have had some expience with 3ds max and Maya, but really, Sketchup is extremely intuitive. Plus, they have a lot of awesome training videos for beginners, advanced, and expert users, all on their site. I highly recommend it to you all.

/fanboy

That is really good, Scosgen. Please tell me about your process!

----

More sketchup, just the model so far.
    hanger.gif

F87 on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    scos the one thing i notice is that the beast doesn't look intimidating at all
    it looks kind of like he's shrinking back from the guy and he looks more scared than pissed
    i think if you made him look more fuckin' piiiisssed it'd be a stronger piece.

it's in his eyes that i notice this, and his stance, the way he's standing makes him look sort of like he's recoiling his head in fear
    is that what you were going for?

beavotron on
    edited February 2009
    Shiboe wrote: »
    Mykonos: At first I was like, why does the ninja get a speed trail but not the jet. Then I realized (I think) that you were using the jets trail to try and lead to the ninja? If that's the case though, I don't think that curve works, and the reverse (starts downward curving up) looks like it would fit better to my eye. I don't know, anyways, it looks pretty neat so far, I like to think he just set an explosive on the jet and was making dramatic escapage before explode times. Also, it might help to bank the jet (I think that means turn corresponding to the horizon, right?) slightly as he seems to be turning, and also will give the ninja jump a little weight, though it's not really necessary.

yeah ur right on shiboe. The smoke was really bothering me especially since it was a left over from a previous thumbnail draft. I was also playing the explosive idea, but I was concerned over losing much of the rendering of the jet in addition to indicate that the charge was set off by the mechaninjadude. Thanks for the input

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
    edited February 2009
    I think I'm about done with this bugger. Some of the rendering on the mans is a little cludgy but I'm not accustomed to painting figures so small and being forced to abstract out the big shapes of light like that, especially with colors. Certainly better than the original incarnation anyway D:

winterbattleREV.jpg

Hey Scosg, I feel really strange doing a paintover for you, primary since your technical knowledge is awesome and also you do them for me all the time which have helped me tons. I just wanted to help show you some examples of how you can improve the composition and perhaps make the dragon seem more dynamic than he currently is. I also sorta worked on the lighting and changed the ratio of the canvas. If this paintover is too obnoxious (and it probably it, i dunno...) then I apoligize and will remove if it u want.

Ok so what I did was try and follow the Fibonacci spiral which painter provides and try to rework the composition to fit it. I used the green arrows to signify where I intended, success or not, to guide the eye to the final payoff of the guy holding a spear to the dragons. I also sorta changed the perspective on the dragons head to help give an impression that its snapping its neck in a wtf!? sorta way. I tried to indicate this with the saliva and the lighting on the neck. Let me know what you think. Like I said, I hope this isn't too much for a quick paintover. Also, this piece has way too much potential for you to halt so early, I say keep at it :D

paintover-1.jpg

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    For the most part I really like Scos's composition better, the closeness keeps it more dramatic, though I do like the highlighted back ridge. Originally I was gonna say the mouth semi-transparent flaps looked wrong, as the back one comes out much further than the close one, but his head isn't really angled as such. I agree with Beav that it could use more anger though, I think it's the straightness of his neck and head. Maybe tilt his head to one side, get some flem coming out of that roar, and feirce up the eyes abit. Otherwise, I love it, it's exactly the kind of stuff I like. ;D

Ugh I'm tired of coming here without arts of my own. Really gotta finish catching up on schoolwork so I can get back into it. =/

Shiboe on
    edited February 2009
    oh his composition probably is better, especially if he's going for a certain look or story element. I just wanted to throw out some ideas to keep him going with it. Also, it was perhaps the only way for me to describe what I was thinking at the time without ranting for ten pages.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    I agree that the dragon is a bit stiff, I think the composition works but there's not a lot of tension in his pose, he looks frozen.

Iruka on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Add more rippling muscles to the dragon.

NibCrom on
  • AutoballaAutoballa Registered User new member
    edited February 2009
    beavotron wrote: »
    scos the one thing i notice is that the beast doesn't look intimidating at all
    it looks kind of like he's shrinking back from the guy and he looks more scared than pissed
    i think if you made him look more fuckin' piiiisssed it'd be a stronger piece.

it's in his eyes that i notice this, and his stance, the way he's standing makes him look sort of like he's recoiling his head in fear
    is that what you were going for?

I think part of this might be because his feet are so far forward in comparison to his head, it makes him look like his body is shifting backwards instead of moving forward toward the soldier.

Might be wrong though.

Autoballa on
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Cyclops doodle

img1234988042222.jpg

Metalbourne on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Progress shots of my environment. These are doodles cos they're totally not done yet.

roomWed18.png
    alleyway18th.png
    city18th.png

Critique on composition/lighting/whateva is welcome, as always. Though some stuffs obviously missing, like textures etc etc.

I think the city street is the weakest. Uggghh. Any suggestions for it would be awesome.

Kochikens on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I thought the weakest part was the fact the dragon didn't look like it was connecting with the guy in the cape. They're sort of looking past each other. Deflates the whole piece, beautiful though it is.

edit: oops, this was about scosglen's dragon piece.

winterbattleREV.jpg

desperaterobots on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    Kochikens wrote: »
    I think the city street is the weakest. Uggghh. Any suggestions for it would be awesome.

Alright, I'll give it a go- though admittedly if there's a context these fit into that I don't know about, some of my specific changes may go against what you're going for, though hopefully it's useful anyways. My strategy was basically just to try and make it look more like Blade Runner.

Kochikens_paintover.jpg

First off, on composition, I raised the camera a bit to show more of the tops of the buildings, that way the blue...thing (a spinner?) in the back is aligned on the lower third of the picture instead of the center. Gives it a little bit more dynamic feel to it. Also, this cuts off a lot of areas where not much is happening, what with the road and sidewalk.

On the lighting, this is a tough situation because you've started out with a lot of lights in a lot of different colors, so you get a rainbow effect where every patch of light is fighting for the viewer's attention first. Because you want to draw the viewer's eye to those things that are most important to the scene, what's needed is a way to unify the lighting scheme in a way that accomplishes that. What I went for was to make the overall color of the scene the green that you've got with those tubes; since they're around a lot, I've just lit them up more, made the green spill over into the streets, onto the buildings. By making most of the scene illuminated by green, the other lights, like the blue thing and the other practical lights in the scene stand out much more.

Also, sidenote: even the Las Vegas strip has streetlamps even though they don't necessarily need them to light the streets, so you're going to want to have them in urban street scenes both realism's sake, and to give you another source of light to manipulate for the sake of unifying a scene. I haven't done much with them in the paintover, though, because I wanted to keep more focus on the blue thing and less on the empty road. If the road in the foreground were more important, I'd light them up more.

Secondly, it looks like you're more or less depending on practical lights, an ambient color and a lot of glow effects to light this. Maybe if you were using global illumination to add more light scattering around from the practicals this strategy would work ok, but since it doesn't look like you are, you're going to have add some fill lights to simulate the light bouncing around in the scene (not to mention throwing you some more artistic control over the scene).

Example, you've got those areas with like 30 tiny little lightbulbs with 30 little spotlights lighting up the bottom of an overhang, but the light fades off so soon that it really doesn't do much to illuminate anything else, like it would in real life. But if you throw a big, intense spotlight or omni in there with a soft edge falloff, you can more effectively get the sort of light pooling effect that will occur would occur with the light bouncing all over the place there, which your 30 little spotlights aren't going to do for you in CG without global illumination helping you out.

Also, that pink light being so bright and pink really doesn't do much for me- it just grabs my eye and flings it down off the right edge of the page. It'd be different if more of the scene were lit up with the pink and/or there were more corresponding pink lights in the scene so it would look less conspicuous in comparison, but right now it's just HEY LOOK AT ME I AM SO IMPORTANT and I'm not convinced that it is the most important thing in the scene.

You also may want to rework the lighting in the first shot so there's more light on the things in the bathtub and less on the sides, because right now I'm immediately drawn to those posters and stuff on the shelves than the Little Shop of Horrors things. Also the bright purple shadow on the floor under the bathtub is a huge HEY THIS IS CG LOOK moment. I might suggest using a couple of overhead spotlights angled around the tub with soft shadows to simulate a bit of ambient occulsion, making the shadow in the floor get darker as it gets close to the tub.

All technical shit aside, the most important questions you need to hammer down on with any lighting problem is "What is the most important idea in the scene?" and "What is the strongest way to express that idea with light?" Once you figure that out, everything else is just noodling around with shit.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That was a better and far far far more practical critique than my teacher gave me. And that paint over. Goddd. <3

Doing a green wash over it, I hadn't even though of, and I really like how that looks to unify everything, and I didn't know that about street lamps. The camera is actually an object someone is holding/carrying, hesne the camera view, and I was told to drop it more to the ground, but it looks so much better raised up like you have it. There's GI on it, but i've actually been ganking out all my lights because I apparently had too many. The glow shader doesn't ad anything to the GI and looks like ass so I was replacing them with those little lights. With the pink I was trying to have it be like, pink/red lights and the blue/green lights just to have some complimentary colours, but it really doesnt stand out too much, was having trouble making it be less saturated but still glow. It's so distracting, gotta fix that, was trying to make the eye follow the arch back down but faailleedd. And. Jeeze. Just. I'm so excited to do this again. You've given me so many great ideas. And. Augh. Thankyou so much.

Yeah, I intend to make the posters old/worn into the wall more so theyre less noticable. And. I didn't even notice how wretched that shadow looks. Will try some spotlights and softening them and yeah.

Fffyes. You've gotten me so excited for this again after I was really burning out/getting bored and lost on where to go, and this is like, the best and most useful feedback I've gotten and. Thanks so much.

Kochikens on
This discussion has been closed.