As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Stimulus packages

• MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    As long as it's done differently from Medicaid/Medicare.

Obama wants to basically expand system that federal employees get to more folks. What it is called is irrelevant to me, as long as it lowers premiums and gives me a god damn choice besides the god awful plan my employer uses.

FEHB

federal employee health benefits.

i hope he makes that cost less too since im currently paying 120 bucks a month for it...

That's all? D:

Wow.

theres a reason why people say that the government has great benfits.

I did have it through my dad until I reached an age where they no longer considered me a "dependent."

Never mind the fact that there are no jobs around here and that I am dependent on them. All hail the magic cutoff date! I could be insured to 25 if I were a full time student, but I can't be one since I don't have a full-time student's amount of credits left to take.

MKR on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    My experiences are different, though anecdote anecdote lol. My mom deals with Medicare all the time for my grandmother, and getting treatment and payment for pretty much anything is a multi-week process. Whereas under any private insurance plan I've ever had, I can get an appointment within a day or two (or same-day usually, if I'm not set on seeing my particular doctor), and payment is just a matter of a $20 copay followed by not having to worry about it.

I'm not an expert expert (I just write/fix the software a plurality of US hospitals use for this type of thing) but that's probably in large part age issues. Chronic/long term care type treatment coverage is way more byzantine and annoying than normal coverage. But even standard coverage is designed to create traps and excuses to deny coverage - its just that most of that work is done by the doctor's office/hospital for non-LTC/home health/chronic situations.

The insurance company's logic is if they create incredibly difficult, stringent and picky standards for making claims, they will be able to reject more coverage they'd otherwise have to pay for and thus $Profit. Medicare/Medicaid's hoop jumping is because they tend to be not as comprehensive in their coverage and/or they have legislative mandated reporting requirements.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Obama wants to basically expand system that federal employees get to more folks. What it is called is irrelevant to me, as long as it lowers premiums and gives me a god damn choice besides the god awful plan my employer uses.

FEHB

i hope he makes that cost less too since im currently paying 120 bucks a month for it...

That's all? D:

Wow.

I did have it through my dad until I reached an age where they no longer considered me a "dependent."

Never mind the fact that there are no jobs around here and that I am dependent on them. All hail the magic cutoff date! I could be insured to 25 if I were a full time student, but I can't be one since I don't have a full-time student's amount of credits left to take.

doesn't your school offer health insurance? i remember that mine did and it was added to our tuition automatically unless you sent in a proof of insurance form with all of your parents information.

Dunadan019 on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

FEHB

You have no idea how good you have it. For a plan that is not as good (and this is via my employer, who ostensibly pays for some of it) I pay about $1250 a month for my family.

I would kill for nationalized healthcare. Just completely obliterate the entire private insurance industry. Let the fuckers die.

I make just below the social security cap (and do not own a home, so no Homeowners Free Money) and they could double my current federal tax obligation in exchange for health care and I would be taking home more money.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ohtsam wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    Gooey what are the prospects for wind power down there?

I think it can work in Texas. A lot of Texas is very open and very flat, which is perfect for wind turbines. There are a few smaller power companies going with wind, the problem is the lack of capital in an economy like this. The market is there, and the ones who make it will be sitting on a pile of cash when the economy recovers and oil jumps back up to where it should be.

Wind power in Texas is beginning to expand at a crazy rate now.

My company was invited to a USDA biotech seminar sponsored by the Larta Institute earlier this year, and I got to see first hand some of the cool new bio-energy technologies being innovated through USDA funding.

I can't seem to find their website at the moment, but one of the cooler techs I saw was something called the Wind Fin. Instead of a tradition 3-blade propeller, these guys figured out a way to create the same output of energy using a single bladed "fin". Efficient, MUCH cheaper, smaller profile (no more killing small birds and bats), much easier to maintain. (Patent description found here.)

It would be cool if the stimulus package helped propel the usage of these things across states like Texas.

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
    edited February 2009

FEHB

That's all? D:

Wow.

doesn't your school offer health insurance? i remember that mine did and it was added to our tuition automatically unless you sent in a proof of insurance form with all of your parents information.

Not a tiny three campus community college.

edit: Basically the only reason anyone in Georgia can afford higher education is the HOPE scholarship.

MKR on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2009
    You have no idea how good you have it. For a plan that is not as good (and this is via my employer, who ostensibly pays for some of it) I pay about $1250 a month for my family.

I would kill for nationalized healthcare. Just completely obliterate the entire private insurance industry. Let the fuckers die.

I make just below the social security cap (and do not own a home, so no Homeowners Free Money) and they could double my current federal tax obligation in exchange for health care and I would be taking home more money.

I, too, am in this situation, though we only pay about $600 OOP per month. Six months ago we were paying $100, so it was a bit of a boost. Soon my wife will be working for the state again, so we'll once again have cushy benefits, huzzah.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I, too, am in this situation, though we only pay about $600 OOP per month. Six months ago we were paying $100, so it was a bit of a boost. Soon my wife will be working for the state again, so we'll once again have cushy benefits, huzzah.

Aren't you in California? If so, shouldn't you not be so confident in that? Sounds like the state is hopelessly bankrupt and unable to do anything because of retarded budget rules and an even more retarded minority.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My college applied for a grant to build a wind turbine with stimulus money. Hopefully it'll come through, because apparently one turbine could power quite a lot of the campus. Hooray Kansas!

And they've been having budget problems, so anything helps.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    As I understand it, the Great Plains from the Texas panhandle all the way up into Canada is one of the best wind corridors in the world. I know T. Boone Pickens is building a rather massive windfarm in the panhandle.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    edited February 2009
    Windmills are the neatest thing, and I am always for building more.

MKR on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    As I understand it, the Great Plains from the Texas panhandle all the way up into Canada is one of the best wind corridors in the world. I know T. Boone Pickens is building a rather massive windfarm in the panhandle.

There is gargantuan amounts of potential wind energy in the Dakotas.

Thing is you would need a lot of new infrastructure to get that energy from the Dakotas to, you know, civilization.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    My experiences are different, though anecdote anecdote lol. My mom deals with Medicare all the time for my grandmother, and getting treatment and payment for pretty much anything is a multi-week process. Whereas under any private insurance plan I've ever had, I can get an appointment within a day or two (or same-day usually, if I'm not set on seeing my particular doctor), and payment is just a matter of a $20 copay followed by not having to worry about it.

I'm not an expert expert (I just write/fix the software a plurality of US hospitals use for this type of thing) but that's probably in large part age issues. Chronic/long term care type treatment coverage is way more byzantine and annoying than normal coverage. But even standard coverage is designed to create traps and excuses to deny coverage - its just that most of that work is done by the doctor's office/hospital for non-LTC/home health/chronic situations.

The insurance company's logic is if they create incredibly difficult, stringent and picky standards for making claims, they will be able to reject more coverage they'd otherwise have to pay for and thus $Profit. Medicare/Medicaid's hoop jumping is because they tend to be not as comprehensive in their coverage and/or they have legislative mandated reporting requirements.

No you're right. HMO plans are worse than them. But I deal mostly with Medicaid and Medicare being in the disability end of health care. They are notoriously bad for paying people old rates, and nothing at all unless you do lab work and blood work at predetermined labs because someone paid off some senator.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Thing is you would need a lot of new infrastructure to get that energy from the Dakotas to, you know, civilization.

Texas is ranked(by someone) as having the most wind capacity of any state. Luckily, it also has a pretty huge population and the distances to the cities are large but probably manageable.

But yeah, it's not like we're going to be exporting that power to any great extent, until we have less power loss on transmission lines.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited February 2009
    Septus wrote: »
    But yeah, it's not like we're going to be exporting that power to any great extent, until we have less power loss on transmission lines.

Which is why investing in the power grid (not that it'd be enough but its a start) and also in battery technology is important. Hell, if they advanced battery power far enough, it might become economical to charge a bunch of batteries and a truck, drive the truck to the nearest city and plug them in.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    edited February 2009

Texas is ranked(by someone) as having the most wind capacity of any state. Luckily, it also has a pretty huge population and the distances to the cities are large but probably manageable.

It helps that in Texas there's nothing between the cities.

MKR on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    PantsB wrote: »

Which is why investing in the power grid (not that it'd be enough but its a start) and also in battery technology is important. Hell, if they advanced battery power far enough, it might become economical to charge a bunch of batteries and a truck, drive the truck to the nearest city and plug them in.

Oh, I thought there were two problems. The bottleneck problem, which you can fix with having more power lines, and line degradation, where you lose power over long distances. In which case, a direct dedicated line from a power plant to a distant town, with no issue of bottle-necking, would still involve a lot of power loss.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Well there are tons of very small towns named after the capitals of other countries.

There's Paris, Texas, and London, Texas and Dublin, Texas and Rome, Texas...

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
    edited February 2009
    Harrier wrote: »

Well there are tons of very small towns named after the capitals of other countries.

There's Paris, Texas, and London, Texas and Dublin, Texas and Rome, Texas...
    And 15 towns called Midway.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    RoundBoy wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    OremLK wrote: »
    Harrier wrote: »
    Texas' Governor is making low level grumblings about the stimulus package. But all it will end up meaning is that we'll be very careful whether to expend the entirety of the package. We're not about to blindly saddle ourselves with future obligations.

But rejecting it on principle? Man, we've got to repay our share of the package anyways, might as well spend what we can.
    I'll be interested in how Texas handles the stimulus, and later Obama's energy plan. As far as I can tell the state is not yet in recession, and since we lead the nation in wind power we could get a big boost if the upcoming energy bill has lots of money for wind.

As I understand it, the oil industry is going to be/is being hit hard, and that hurts us a lot (especially around Houston).

We're doing fine right now. $35 per bbl doesn't sound as good as $100/bbl, but when we were in triple digits our production/refinement costs were through the roof as well.

Either way it's still a lot better than $10 like it was in the early 90's.

Especially since all the refineries are cutting back for maintenance. The price we are paying at the pump is a bit higher then the price of oil reflects now.

And to the crazy comments in the previous few pages, I'll ask this question:

Do mainstream news organizations refuse to hire interns / video editors / archivists? How come I haven't seen clips of GOP members getting Obama's autograph next to them voting down the stimulus bill next to clips of them praising it ?

I'll say the same thing for Iraq funding hearings pre war, McCain in 2000 on basically his entire platform, etc. Are we limited to Youtube links and The Daily Show ???

I don't hear things about the oil industry other than black and white "we need to use less oil and they can go fuck themselves." I'm now curious, but I know less oil consumption has to happen. Not so much the environment. I'm more concerned that a tank was like a million dollars back in august.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mmmm... Dublin Dr. Pepper.

I can vouch for the wind in the Panhandle (went to HS in Amarillo). They don't even really mention the wind on the TV weather reports unless it's sustained over 40 mph or so. It's just something that's obvious if you've been there any amount of time. Pickens is Not Very Popular up there (a few years ago, he wanted to sell the water out of the aquifer in the area to other states, which did not exactly go over well), but windmills are pretty much a no-brainer given just how windy it is all the damn time.

On a somewhat on-topic note, have people heard about the clever editorial cartoon in NY Post today? And by clever I mean how the fuck could anyone possibly think that was okay in any way?

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    seasleepy wrote: »
    Mmmm... Dublin Dr. Pepper.

On a somewhat on-topic note, have people heard about the clever editorial cartoon in NY Post today? And by clever I mean how the fuck could anyone possibly think that was okay in any way?

When the fuck will they learn that when you are explaining you are fucking LOSING?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Not. Enough. Facepalm.

In the whole world.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    edited February 2009

Not. Enough. Facepalm.

In the whole world.

The first thing I thought they were talking about was this.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Al Sharpton can certainly overreact with the best of them, but jesus fuckshit, the New York Post printed that? D:

Edit - Okay, so there was a chimp on Xanax that got shot when he went, well, apeshit. That has what to do with the stimulus bill, exactly?

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Not. Enough. Facepalm.

In the whole world.

What is wrong with that cartoon?

Edit: Sorry, read the post after the link. Racism olol.

zeeny on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Just a comment to the posters who seem to have no insurance, right now I'm on the basic, bottom-barrel $54/month plan from Anthem (as a full-time student/part-time worker who still lives at home can't afford much more). Last September I tripped and broke my elbow and needed surgery and therapy and that. The final bills are just being paid now and the total costs were > $13k. "Network savings" and what Anthem actually paid was about $4k each, leaving me just under the $5k maximum out-of-pocket. That $5k was still pretty heavy to pay, but that $8k+ I didn't pay was worth about 12 and a half years of $54/month payments.

I don't know if maybe the bills would've been different if I didn't have insurance, but I can tell you I'd be pretty seriously in debt to my parents if I'd had to pay $13k when I had a few hundred in my account. So, y'know. Get some of that stuff.

Scooter on
    edited February 2009
    zeeny wrote: »

Not. Enough. Facepalm.

In the whole world.

Monkeys = blacks.

Though I'd wager the link was meant to be stimulus bill = stupid and monkeys = stupid, thus monkeys wrote the bill. I doubt it was a racial barb. This precise cartoon could've been leveled at anything Bush did, and in fact there were many editorial cartoons that carried the Bush = retarded monkey theme. But now that's off the table, because you can't discuss monkeys even tangentially to black people without hitting racial nerves.

The cartoon was probably innocent, but the dude should've known better.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Al Sharpton can certainly overreact with the best of them, but jesus fuckshit, the New York Post printed that? D:

Edit - Okay, so there was a chimp on Xanax that got shot when he went, well, apeshit. That has what to do with the stimulus bill, exactly?

It's the New York Post. The Times is the good one, not the Post.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Not. Enough. Facepalm.

In the whole world.

The first thing I thought they were talking about was this.

Me too, but the second thing I thought of was the other connotation...

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2009
    Always. Living without insurance is like playing Russian Roulette every day.

bowen on
    edited February 2009

Something like that. Though if you're young and healthy, the gun has about 10,000 chambers.

ElJeffe on
  • zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Though I'd wager the link was meant to be stimulus bill = stupid and monkeys = stupid

Ditto. At first I thought it was simply illustrating disagreement with the stimulus plan.

Edit: Wait what, somebody gave a chimp Xanax? This thread is too surprising today.

zeeny on
    edited February 2009

Something like that. Though if you're young and healthy, the gun has about 10,000 chambers.

Yeah but you cycle through it about a few hundred times a day.
    Though I'd wager the link was meant to be stimulus bill = stupid and monkeys = stupid

Ditto. At first I thought it was simply illustrating disagreement with the stimulus plan.

Edit: Wait what, somebody gave a chimp Xanax? This thread is too surprising today.

Yes, and from what I understand, that's a bad thing to be doing in humans if you have Lyme disease.

bowen on
    edited February 2009

Meh. I went without health insurance for many years without ever feeling anxious. I go to the doctor for check-ups, where they tell me "You're perfectly healthy." I went to the doctor after a car accident, where they said, "Nope, no problems." I went recently for some abdominal discomfort where they told me, "Oh, you have IBS, for which there is no cure or treatment, so just deal with it and maybe take some Beano." I mean, I haven't gotten much out of the health care industry.

There's the chance of catastrophe, but that chance is tiny. Which isn't an argument for or against UHC or really anything, so much as to say it's not like most people need constant health care to survive.

ElJeffe on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well I broke my arm a few years ago while off insurance.

Not the end of the world but I ended up paying like 2 grand for the care for it.

nexuscrawler on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    when i was 14 i got hit by a dump truck.

it broke my leg clean in half. guess what paid for everything?

not blue cross blue shield

not the guys insurance

my mom's car insurance.... because i was hurt... by an automobile. thats some good insurance right there.

Dunadan019 on
    edited February 2009

Not. Enough. Facepalm.

In the whole world.

Monkeys = blacks.

Though I'd wager the link was meant to be stimulus bill = stupid and monkeys = stupid, thus monkeys wrote the bill. I doubt it was a racial barb. This precise cartoon could've been leveled at anything Bush did, and in fact there were many editorial cartoons that carried the Bush = retarded monkey theme. But now that's off the table, because you can't discuss monkeys even tangentially to black people without hitting racial nerves.

The cartoon was probably innocent, but the dude should've known better.
    Yeah, with just a slight change in wording it could have been clearly aimed at Congress and no one would have cared. He just put his foot in his mouth something fierce.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2009

Meh. I went without health insurance for many years without ever feeling anxious. I go to the doctor for check-ups, where they tell me "You're perfectly healthy." I went to the doctor after a car accident, where they said, "Nope, no problems." I went recently for some abdominal discomfort where they told me, "Oh, you have IBS, for which there is no cure or treatment, so just deal with it and maybe take some Beano." I mean, I haven't gotten much out of the health care industry.

There's the chance of catastrophe, but that chance is tiny. Which isn't an argument for or against UHC or really anything, so much as to say it's not like most people need constant health care to survive.

Agreed but if I get hit by a dumptruck I don't want to be out $20K either.

bowen on
    edited February 2009

That's honestly one of the most racist political cartoons I've ever seen and that includes Civil War era cartoons

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
This discussion has been closed.