As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hockey on] NHL09 - GO TO NEW THREAD

• SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    And having Luongo on your team is borderline cheating.

He didn't even make any remarkable saves that game. I had more shots (or close to the same, can't remember) and didn't score, so your goalie was as good as Luongo. The game before I scored 1 more goal than you. Also, I have no players even close to how good Crosby and Malkin are. Is using them cheating?

Nah man I was just joking. Both of our goalies played real well in both our games. I was mainly talking about the shootout anyway I guess. I just felt I had literally no chance of scoring because he was just always going to do the splits and stop my one move.

Schide on
  • remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sorry I haven't been on in a while guys. I will be here tomorrow night for sure so if anyone is down for some games, I will be here.

remlap13 on
  • CCF23CCF23 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Howdy boys. I'm drunk. What the fuck is happening?

CCF23 on
    CCFForum-Sedan-2-2.jpg
  • puffycowpuffycow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Damn. We need to have a drunken NHL night.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • WilDPanthA05WilDPanthA05 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    puffycow wrote: »
    Damn. We need to have a drunken NHL night.

WilDPanthA05 on
    edited February 2009
    I nominate this Saturday evening!

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • mclay8823mclay8823 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Frank doesn't drink. He told me himself.

mclay8823 on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
    edited February 2009
    It's true. So I will "not" be drinking while playing NHL this Saturday evening.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    mclay8823 wrote: »
    Just knocked off Tonloc 1-0. Holy crap, dude, Price is ridiculous. I've never seen so many diving saves. He robbed me like 8 times. At least you're one guy who will never give me shit about Brodeur. haha.

I'll second that notion on Price. I killed in time on attack like 10 minutes to his 3 or 4 and I was getting very good attempts on goal, but he stopped everything.

too bad Price can't match that performance in real life.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
    edited February 2009
    In case no one saw. Apparently the NHL patch is out for PS3 and is being tested for Microsoft over the next 10. Here are the changes:

http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread.jspa?threadID=493498&tstart=0

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
    edited February 2009
    Big items for me from the patch:

Prevent puck from being poke checked away from the goalie when he has it covered under his glove. (Lost my league game against Toronto the other night due to this)

Prevent CPU players from getting delay of game penalties frequently while clearing the puck from their zone.

Added new NHL rule to locate face- offs in the attacking zone to start a powerplay

Strict calling of interference, though you can still clear players directly in front of the net without getting called for interference.

Decrease the tendency of the goalies to use a desperation save unnecessarily

Added assistance to prevent one-timer and shot attempts from leading to accidental hits and interference penalties (this I don't believe due to the other fix for strict calling of interference)

There were several items about making goalies tougher......those I don't necessarily look forward to.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
    edited February 2009
    They stop desperation saves from happening necessarily and "limit" short side goals. But to counteract this they are going to let me "random" goals go in.

I don't know, we'll see how this works. But yea, I lost the 2nd game to Pond4sh due to a poke check. I don't complain, I do it to out of habit. I try to punish the player for passing the puck out immediately and everyone once in a blue moon it will get poked away from the glove and I'll feel bad.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, most of the changes are great, but I'm a little concerned about the goalie adjustments.

The slapper in front of the net does need to go. As for scoring easier against stick side over glove side, that is realistic, so I'm not sure they need that. Actually, I never really focus on the stick side, so I guess this doesn't affect me.

I hope this doesn't lead to more stupid goals. If it leads to more realistic goals like rebound goals, deflections, hard wristers in the slot, etc., I'm happy. If it leads to more crap and new glitch goals to take advantage of bad goalies, I'm pissed.

mclay8823 on
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
    edited February 2009
    As for scoring easier against stick side over glove side, that is realistic, so I'm not sure they need that. Actually, I never really focus on the stick side, so I guess this doesn't affect me.

I think what they are going for is if you are going across the slot to the left, and fire to the top right shelf, the goalie doesn't overcompensate while following you. I know that goal worked so much I stop doing it.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
    edited February 2009
    They stop desperation saves from happening necessarily and "limit" short side goals. But to counteract this they are going to let me "random" goals go in.

I don't know, we'll see how this works. But yea, I lost the 2nd game to Pond4sh due to a poke check. I don't complain, I do it to out of habit. I try to punish the player for passing the puck out immediately and everyone once in a blue moon it will get poked away from the glove and I'll feel bad.

I actually don't totally mind an occasional poke check and having the puck go in the net as it does happen in real hockey. But for NHL09 if the goalie is anywhere outside the crease the poke seems to be like 80% effective. I would have liked that to be another "limit" item. My league game loss the other night on the poke was just a mega burn as it was in OT and the goalie was sitting on top of the puck for a good second or two and the opponent was still as far back as the blue line streaking in, the whistle just another millisecond away.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
    edited February 2009
    I know it happens, but I think it sucks to have that random chance put into a hockey game. It doesn't happen enough for me to warrant it to be in there. It sucks when there is nothing you can do about a play like that. It isn't like Madden/football with fumbles, since they do happen a lot. I don't remember the last time I saw a goalie covering the puck for a second or two then have it poked into the net.

Though, and I apologize for forgetting who I was playing the other night, I shot the puck and just poked at the rebound with Sharp and the puck went into the net. That was pretty cool.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I hope this doesn't lead to more stupid goals. If it leads to more realistic goals like rebound goals, deflections, hard wristers in the slot, etc., I'm happy. If it leads to more crap and new glitch goals to take advantage of bad goalies, I'm pissed.

Rebound goals and deflections happen plenty if you play a certain way.

You HAVE to hold down on the left stick when you shoot and to the left or right sometimes as well when you shoot to have a rebound happen. I have had plenty of rebound goals to not complain about not getting them. Same thing with deflections.

You pretty much have to shoot when someone is in a great position infront of the net. These don't always have to be goals either because deflections can be saved, whether it be luck of goalie positioning or him seeing the puck position change and adapting.

I agree with the hard wristers though. I rarely get goals from it and I use it as one of my main shots. And I am sure there will be a new glitch goal to come from this patch. There always is.

edit: I think when the puck is covered in the crease and you are poking, there should be little to no chance of it coming out (although still a 1-5% chance). If the goalie is out of the crease (as if he has sprinted to the puck to cover it), then there should be a higher chance of it coming out. Shit happens in real life, why shouldn't it in the game? They can make it so that the puck doesn't come out frequently at all, but it should still happen.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    edited February 2009
    I just don't want it happening when I am sitting in the crease and it is poked right through me into the net. That just irritates me. If it happens because my goalie retardly skated 20 feet to it (which he does) then yea, go for it!

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
    edited February 2009
    -Reduced the amount of time it takes to get control of the last man back, holding RT(Xbox)/R2(PS3)

Wait. That is already in there? You can hold the RT to become the last man back? If that is true, I am fucking pissed for not knowing this.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited February 2009
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Wait. That is already in there? You can hold the RT to become the last man back? If that is true, I am fucking pissed for not knowing this.

Yea, it was news to me as well. I've seem to have gotten by fine without it and will promptly forget about it anyway.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
    edited February 2009
    Rebound goals and deflections happen plenty if you play a certain way.

You HAVE to hold down on the left stick when you shoot and to the left or right sometimes as well when you shoot to have a rebound happen. I have had plenty of rebound goals to not complain about not getting them. Same thing with deflections.

You pretty much have to shoot when someone is in a great position infront of the net. These don't always have to be goals either because deflections can be saved, whether it be luck of goalie positioning or him seeing the puck position change and adapting.

Trust me, I know this. When I play online against tough defenses, I attempt a lot of deflection goals and I definitely know how to give myself good opportunities for rebounds. You're right, though. Unless you semi-know what you're doing, you're unlikely to get any deflection or rebound goals.

My fear with the new patch is that the goalies are going to be stupider and allow the most ridiculous goals ever.

As for the poking of the puck, what they need to do is not make the goalie succeed in covering 99.9999999% of the time. How often do you see a nice centering pass hit the goalie in 5 hole area and he just lays down and tries to cover having no clue where the puck is? That happens a lot. I'd like to see more pucks just laying around the net once in a while. This game is guilty (like every NHL game ever) of the sticks being puck magnets. I'm okay with that to a degree, but sometimes it's a bid ridiculous.

mclay8823 on
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
    edited February 2009
    Ok fellas, I really need a decent Center. Does no one need a Defenseman that is rated between 80-83? They are all of good speed, size and have good shots from the point.

Please make me offers <3

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
    edited February 2009
    I do not. I made you an offer and you passed :)

mclay8823 on
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
  • Pouches 12Pouches 12 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    yo dick butkis, i wanna play like 3-4 games of nhl today....if you havent played me yet, ottawa senators, give me a time and play me...and mike and frank, i will not play u right now cuz im on a 20 game losing streak

Pouches 12 on
  • POndashPOndash Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    But yea, I lost the 2nd game to Pond4sh due to a poke check. I don't complain, I do it to out of habit. I try to punish the player for passing the puck out immediately and everyone once in a blue moon it will get poked away from the glove and I'll feel bad.

I think I've gotten 2-3 goals from doing that over the past 2 seasons, but my intention is the same as yours, to punish the player for passing it out into traffic instead of freezing the puck. Really glad they are fixing this so now I can be even more aggressive with it. =)

I also like that they are upping interference calls. There have been numerous times where I've had guys knocked on their asses repeatedly when the puck was nowhere near them and there was no penalty called, so this should be a welcome change.

Overall, it's really nice to see EA making an effort to fix the problems that this game has rather than just making us hope they are fixed in next season's edition.

POndash on
    Xbox Live/Steam/PSN/Raptr: POndash

edited February 2009
    Mike, you wanted Kane. I said Defensemen.

Jake, penis in your mouth.

Also, I was reading some forums about PS3 players. People are getting pissy with the new patch but I think I will like it (mainly because it will benefit me). If you are one to use stick lifting a lot there will be penalties if you don't use it at logical times. Also, hitting someone who is not on the puck will almost guarantee you a penalty.

That works for me since I don't stick lift too much and I probably am last in the league in hits :D

EDIT
    POndash wrote: »
    I think I've gotten 2-3 goals from doing that over the past 2 seasons, but my intention is the same as yours, to punish the player for passing it out into traffic instead of freezing the puck. Really glad they are fixing this so now I can be even more aggressive with it. =).

I just wanted to clarify that I don't resent you for that goal. I just hate that a loss comes from something uncontrollable like that :( And yea, I've probably scored the same amount that way.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Anyone wanna play some games tonight? I've gone into withdrawl and I need to play bad.

remlap13 on
    edited February 2009
    If the goalie has control of it I try to pass it out instead of keeping it a lot, but only in league games, and that's just to keep the game moving as kind of a courtesy. I don't think it's led to any goals so far though.

Patch sounds nice. We'll see how it plays out though.

Schide on
    edited February 2009
    Schide wrote: »
    If the goalie has control of it I try to pass it out instead of keeping it a lot, but only in league games, and that's just to keep the game moving as kind of a courtesy. I don't think it's led to any goals so far though.

I hear ya, but if you are surrounded by 2 or 3 forwards you may want to hold onto the puck.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I also tend to always pass the puck when the goalie gets it, due to a lack of patience. This has been a bad habit of mine since I started playing hockey video games in 94.

I'm glad they are adding a lot more interference calls, but they really need to get rid of the stupid crosschecking calls. I hate penalties that you have absolutely no control over and didn't do anything to deserve. Elbowing is stupid too, and holding is iffy, though they rarely get called. They should just call penalties that are actual human error.

chuck steak on
    edited February 2009
    Schide wrote: »

I hear ya, but if you are surrounded by 2 or 3 forwards you may want to hold onto the puck.

Yeah, I usually do hold onto it when that happens, or like on a penalty kill or late in the game.

I think the thing in the patch I am glad to hear of the most is the interference calls. Those were always so annoying when they were never called, and I know I can hold off on it for the most part.

Schide on
    edited February 2009
    Yea. I wonder how much this will effect our league. Mainly because everyone has a set playing style, I wonder if this will cause people to adapt a lot. It'll be interesting, for sure.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • ToneLoc777ToneLoc777 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Also, I was reading some forums about PS3 players. People are getting pissy with the new patch but I think I will like it (mainly because it will benefit me). If you are one to use stick lifting a lot there will be penalties if you don't use it at logical times. Also, hitting someone who is not on the puck will almost guarantee you a penalty.

That works for me since I don't stick lift too much and I probably am last in the league in hits
    :D

I am soooo screwed when the next patch comes out, I'm pretty sure hits are the only thing I've managed to lead almost every game in :lol:

ToneLoc777 on
    ToneLoc777.png
  • LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Pouches I will be on at 8pm eastern, if you want to get our last game in. I will give you a win ok? JKJK I started playing with default controls so I am still learning and its like starting over.

Laonar on
  • LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I would like to see the defense crowd in when the goalie freezes the puck instead of standing around with sticks up their ass though.

Laonar on
    edited February 2009
    New thread is a comin soon. Just an FYI for those of you who don't know that the current thread will be closed at 100 pages (as does every other thread on the boards).

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited February 2009
    Yea. I wonder how much this will effect our league. Mainly because everyone has a set playing style, I wonder if this will cause people to adapt a lot. It'll be interesting, for sure.

I'm very excited for this. I don't see anything that will actually hurt me since I can play several different styles well. My only concern is if they'll screw it all up by making the inevitable oversights.

mclay8823 on
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
    edited February 2009
    New thread is a comin soon. Just an FYI for those of you who don't know that the current thread will be closed at 100 pages (as does every other thread on the boards).

Please IM me the new thread, or else I'll miss it because I suck.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • CCF23CCF23 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ok fellas, I really need a decent Center. Does no one need a Defenseman that is rated between 80-83? They are all of good speed, size and have good shots from the point.

Please make me offers <3

Offers coming.

CCF23 on
    CCFForum-Sedan-2-2.jpg
    edited February 2009
    CCF23 wrote: »

Please make me offers <3

Offers coming.

But, he doesn't want Gary Robots. :P

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png