As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New comic 2/18

• redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    excellent post!

I wasn't sure it was fair to call the game racist, especially because the first question that popped into my mind was "if this is racist, how could you make a zombie game in africa without it being racist?"

but you answered that, especially with what you presented as #2 on your list. I didn't even realize there was none of that (at least in the demo I played. maybe it will be present in the full game, but I doubt it. I don't remember anything like that from RE4, at least.)

but yeah basically good job, very reasonable and convincing

redhead on
  • sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited February 2009
    Thanks redhead.

I think what a lot of people might not realize is that, when dealing with spaniards and africans as zombies, you do have to do it differently, because they are treated differently by our society and in our history. Like I said, color blindness is not necessarily better or more accurate than accepting difference.

You really do have to be more careful and to go to greater lengths with an African setting because those stereotypes do exist and are harmful, but you can still make the game you want without reinforcing those stereotypes

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    –noun
    1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
    2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
    3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

PiptheFair on
  • KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So did anyone else see panel 3 and think of the event in Fallout 3 where you walk into Canterbury Commons and there is a dude who is in a robot suit battling a woman in an insect suit?

Because that is what it reminded me of.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
    edited February 2009
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    –noun
    1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
    2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
    3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

What is this in reference to?

In any case though, I think racism is one of those things that's a bit bigger and more complex than a dictionary definition can accurately or adequately define. Much like many, many political and philosophical ideas.

Dictionaries, let's remember, are meant to give you just the simple, literal denotive definition so that one may understand the word when it is used. They're not the ultimate authority on defining words like, say, "individual," "nation," "God," "love," "mind," "property," and all manner of other things that are complicated enough to be debated basically forever.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    redhead wrote: »
    excellent post!

I wasn't sure it was fair to call the game racist, especially because the first question that popped into my mind was "if this is racist, how could you make a zombie game in africa without it being racist?"

but you answered that, especially with what you presented as #2 on your list. I didn't even realize there was none of that (at least in the demo I played. maybe it will be present in the full game, but I doubt it. I don't remember anything like that from RE4, at least.)

but yeah basically good job, very reasonable and convincing

This, except I haven't played the demo. Is there a trailer I can watch that will give me a better idea what we're talking about?

Butler on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of other black characters in RE5 that are black and not zombies. Your partner, for one

Javen on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited February 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
    edited February 2009
    Javen wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of other black characters in RE5 that are black and not zombies. Your partner, for one

Well, the whole light-skinned "good" African with Western, white, middle-class accepted modes of speech and behavior is, unfortunately, actually another Hollywood stereotype.

Unless I'm wrong, she's not really presented as in any way similar to or a part of the group of africans that are being turned into zombies, no? So that entire group of people is still dehumanized. What's needed are people who look like them, speak like them, and still humanized and relatable. Having some completely different Westernized, light-skinned black person who doesn't look, act, or speak anything like the people being dehumanized really doesn't help, especially when the only "good" black person conforms to white standards that still plague this country today (like how among most African Americans, as well as Hollywood and the fashion industry, light skin is considered more attractive than dark skin).

Like I said, having a black protagonist doesn't make the problem go away by itself.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I cannot wait for the reaction to this

it will be so good.

so good

HOORAY!

Hahahaha :^:

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Well, the whole light-skinned "good" African with Western, white, middle-class accepted modes of speech and behavior is, unfortunately, actually another Hollywood stereotype.

Unless I'm wrong, she's not really presented as in any way similar to or a part of the group of africans that are being turned into zombies, no? So that entire group of people is still dehumanized. What's needed are people who look like them, speak like them, and still humanized and relatable. Having some completely different Westernized, light-skinned black person who doesn't look, act, or speak anything like the people being dehumanized really doesn't help, especially when the only "good" black person conforms to white standards that still plague this country today (like how among most African Americans, as well as Hollywood and the fashion industry, light skin is considered more attractive than dark skin).

Like I said, having a black protagonist doesn't make the problem go away by itself.
    I would imagine there's going to be a character similar to Luis Sera in RE4.

Also, I think something's worth mentioning. In that one article talking about the racist imagery in the game, and mentioned "non-infected" Africans beating something in a sack and dragging a white woman off. I don't know how much of the game they saw, but I'm gonna hazard a guess that those people weren't actually uninfected. At the very start of RE4, you come across a couple of Ganado that look perfectly normal, and then out of nowhere violently attack you. It takes a little while before the Ganado start to look noticeably different from normal people. It's usually just small details--red pupils, bloody and dirty, horrible insects bursting out of their heads, that kind of thing. My guess is that if a character is acting violently, they're going to be infected.

That said, the game definitely has some imagery that comes off as racist out of context. Backwards Name pretty much summed it up, but I don't think we can say with certainty that his suggestions for how they could make the game come off as less racist aren't included. Just have to wait 'n see.

Speed Racer on
  • Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis God is love Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    hahaha did you think backward's post was a copy paste

he wrote all that

i know right

Mr. Henry Bemis on
    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
    edited February 2009

he wrote all that

i know right

I have a problem

:(

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

he wrote all that

i know right

No I know he did. He referred to the article I was referring to.

Speed Racer on
  • Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I find it weird that when it involves africans, everyone has to go crazy, but in RE4 when there were spaniards as the infected, no one really gave a damn.

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    On a related note, I watched Mother Night the other day and it was pretty excellent.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
    edited February 2009
    I find it weird that when it involves africans, everyone has to go crazy, but in RE4 when there were spaniards as the infected, no one really gave a damn.

That's because there is not a long history of Spaniards being thought of as mindless subhuman savages.

Speed Racer on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

he wrote all that

i know right

I have a problem

:(

no.

Everyone else is the problem.

You have the solution.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

That's because there is not a long history of Spaniards being thought of as mindless subhuman savages.

the french and british would like to argue with you

PiptheFair on
    edited February 2009

oh ryan

8-)

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

No we wouldn't. We spent hundreds of years covering that shit up, as far as we, or anyone else is concerned.

It

Never

Happened

The_Scarab on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I cannot wait for the reaction to this

it will be so good.

so good

HOORAY!

Did you read all of Meiz's posts? They're my favourites.

L|ama on
    edited February 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »

No we wouldn't. We spent hundreds of years covering that shit up, as far as we, or anyone else is concerned.

It

Never

Happened
    I actually have no idea what we're talking about here.

A Wikipedia link or even just an explanation would be pretty rad!

Speed Racer on
  • Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    And its not just those 2 sequels

I mean come on people think Americans are always eating and so the zombies have to always hungry and eating humans in the Resident Evil games

Come on Capcom stop stereotyping

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    French and English fought the spanish a bunch, tried to dehumanize them in order to make it easier just like most long term enemies.

L|ama on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »

It

Never

Happened
    I actually have no idea what we're talking about here.

A Wikipedia link or even just an explanation would be pretty rad!

Nothing happened. Just like I said. Move along, we're friends now nothing to see here.

The_Scarab on
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    So this is a Swordfights comic?
    You beautiful bastard.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis God is love Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Campion wrote: »
    You're not actually supposed to answer

I'm a rock star, I do what I want.
    i got my rock moves

Mr. Henry Bemis on
    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

you mean the one that didn't even exist until after the outcry?

yeah, there is that

TheySlashThem on
    edited February 2009
    Okay, fine, the game is racist.

What are you nerds fixing on doing about it?

Javen on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't know, I don't like horror games

Centipede Damascus on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well for one I'm going to post on the internet about it then.

Blake T on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Okay, fine, the game is racist.

What are you nerds fixing on doing about it?

well, firstly we plan to accept that those who are offended are rightly so

and secondly we are going to play the game anyway

TheySlashThem on
    edited February 2009
    I mean let's be serious for a minute, here.

Are any of you complaining about this not going to buy the game for the same reason?

Javen on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I would really like this further explained.

How come you can't have a black person with middle-class accepted mode of speech? I see this complaint alot when there are black people portrayed.

Because I am not trying to be mean here but if we were to say look percentage wise at say black doctors, the majority of them would come from middle class families as opposed to people from the ghetto. So why is it surprise that they speak where they are from?

Blake T on
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Are any of you complaining about this not going to buy the game for the same reason?

Or lobby the developers about it

Meissnerd on
    edited February 2009

I have been complaining.

And I am not going to buy the game for that very reason.

I however have been complaining about the controls though.

MORALS

Blake T on
    edited February 2009
    As much as I would like to continue this conversation I'm sure that eventually the fact that I'm an American white male is going to work against me. Likely at the hands of other American white males, but that's neither here nor there.

Javen on
    edited February 2009
    Oh come off it Javen.

Deep down, you know you want to strafe.

Blake T on
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Blaket wrote: »

I would really like this further explained.

How come you can't have a black person with middle-class accepted mode of speech? I see this complaint alot when there are black people portrayed.

Because I am not trying to be mean here but if we were to say look percentage wise at say black doctors, the majority of them would come from middle class families as opposed to people from the ghetto. So why is it surprise that they speak where they are from?

No, what he's saying is that having a black character with more 'relatable' Westernized speech and mannerisms, etc., doesn't help to undo the portrayal as the Africans in the game as mindless/violent/savages, because she is then patently not a part of that group at all.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
This discussion has been closed.