As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LOTRO] Barrovian Society Wanders but is not Lost

• Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Psycharil wrote: »
    A part of me thinks I should reroll on Landroval, considering there seems to be a significant population difference compared to where I currently play (Vilya, because the LotrO news reel thingy told me to roll there D=).

I just don't want to do the starting bit all over again. I rerolled like four times before I settled on trying out an Elven Rune Keeper.

Oh, and I have to throw this in. All those reports of the LotrO graphics being awesome do absolutely no justice to the game. The graphics are just unbelievable. I spent my first hour of the game sitting in a field of small white flowers, watching them sway in the soft breeze near Bree. >.< I was mesmerised.

You ought to roll on Landroval, dude. There's a spot for you in The Barrovian Society if you send a tell to Hjartad, Edros, or Dedian. :D

Also, I hear you about the graphics. I've been playing since beta, and I'm still finding scenery that absolutely mesmerizes me.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Some dude's been playing songs near the farm bench.

He's playing Wonderwall now.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited February 2009
    I have an .abc file of Wonderwall, too. I like to just hang out and play music when I'm weary of questing.

Triple B on
  • Stevo 22Stevo 22 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    "afterlife" seems to be the best song so far but i'm actively looking for a superior.

i'm taking a lotro break for Lost and the Damned but if you see me on and you need assistance just /tell me.

Stevo 22 on
    "It's do or die." "Hey, I've died twice."
  • PsycharilPsycharil Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm a fan of playing the James Bond theme just to spite my WoW playing boyfriend, as he can't stand the sound of the lute.

Har har.

Psycharil on
  • AllchuffedupAllchuffedup Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    yeah i got into the music stuff tonight, some people stopped and expressed their appreciation of my song picks which was cool

Allchuffedup on
    steam_sig.png
    allchuffedup#1671
    edited February 2009
    In case anyone's wondering what kind of options are out there as far as music goes, I'll post my entire LOTRO playlist. Spoiler'd for length.
    -Rohan theme from LOTR films
    -Concerning Hobbits (shire theme from the films)
    -Minas Tirith theme from LOTR films
    -Jessica by The Allman Brothers
    -Don't Fear The Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult
    -More Than A Feeling by Boston
    -Crash Into Me by Dave Matthews Band
    -Ants Marching by DMB
    -Satellite by DMB
    -Two Step by DMB
    -Break on Through by The Doors
    -More Than Words by Extreme
    -Imagine by John Lennon
    -Last Kiss by Pearl Jam
    -Rock 'n' Roll Hoochie Coo by Rick Derringer :D
    -Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
    -Man on the Moon by REM
    -Dirty Water by The Standells
    -I Won't Back Down by Tom Petty
    -Baba O'Riley by The Who
    -Dueling Banjos from Deliverance
    -Ghostbusters theme
    -Gonna Fly Now (Rocky Theme)
    -Better Man by Pearl Jam
    -Daughter by Pearl Jam
    -Hey Ya by Outkast
    -Wonderwall by Oasis
    -Any Way You Want It by Journey
    -Don't Stop Believing by Journey
    -Aeris theme from FFVII
    -Dreams by Van Halen
    -Good Riddance by Green Day
    -Closing Time by Semisonic
    -Forrest Gump theme
    -I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing by Aerosmith
    -Top Gun Anthem from Top Gun
    -Can You Feel The Love Tonight by Elton John
    -Under the Sea from The Little Mermaid
    -Rascal King by Mighty Mighty Bosstones
    -To Zanarkand from FFX
    -The Kids Aren't Alright by Offspring
    -Slide by Goo Goo Dolls
    -Iris by Goo Goo Dolls
    -Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins
    -What a Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong
    -All For You by Sister Hazel
    -Soul Meets Body by Death Cab for Cutie
    -Nutshell by Alice in Chains
    -Main theme from Pirates of the Carribean: Curse of the Black Pearl
    -He's A Pirate from PotC:CotBP
    -Pirate's Life from PotC:CotBP
    -Prologue theme from FFIV
    -You've Got To Hide Your Love Away by The Beatles
    -Let It Be by The Beatles
    -Planet Caravan by Black Sabbath
    -The Quiet Things That No-One Ever Knows by Brand New
    -Clocks by Coldplay
    -The Scientist by Coldplay
    -Knocking on Heaven's Door by Bob Dylan
    -Garden by Pearl Jam
    -Wake Me Up (Before You Go Go) by Wham

:D

Most of them sound pretty decent with a few exceptions.

Triple B on
    edited February 2009
    If you're not playing "Afterlife" by Avenged Sevenfold regularly, you're doing it wrong.

Stevo 22 on
  • DedianDedian Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Make sure to stand by the fire in the prancing pony, oh and play it on bagpipes.

Dedian on
    edited February 2009
    Avenged Sevenfold....is there any way to make my font louder? Because I want the ensuing "Meh" to be loud enough to make your ears ring. :?

Triple B on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Next patch: creep buff. :D Hopefully that'll make things slightly more interesting for everyone involved.

Aldo on
    edited February 2009
    Triple B wrote: »
    Avenged Sevenfold....is there any way to make my font louder? Because I want the ensuing "Meh" to be loud enough to make your ears ring. :?

I'm not talking about what you listen to while you play the game, I'm talking about what you play on your lute.

Go. Go now. Give it a whirl. If you don't hear the awesomeness, your speakers are broken.

Stevo 22 on
    edited February 2009
    Stevo 22 wrote: »

I'm not talking about what you listen to while you play the game, I'm talking about what you play on your lute.

Go. Go now. Give it a whirl. If you don't hear the awesomeness, your speakers are broken.

Yeah, but I don't anticipate that Sevenfold will hold up well when transferred to a lute or a harp.

Triple B on
    edited February 2009
    Yeah I looked for some of the music I like to listen to and didn't find any. Well I found 1 Rancid song but it sounds kind of silly. A couple Weezer songs seem to convert over pretty well though.

Allchuffedup on
    steam_sig.png
    allchuffedup#1671
    edited February 2009
    Acoustic stuff tends to work well pretty consistently. Also, anyone who finds me any Andy McKee midis will be granted sexual favors.

Triple B on
  • DedianDedian Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah I looked for some of the music I like to listen to and didn't find any. Well I found 1 Rancid song but it sounds kind of silly. A couple Weezer songs seem to convert over pretty well though.

I'll vouch that they convert well. They sound even better when I attempt to jam along like my lute is a bass.

Dedian on
    edited February 2009
    I wish I was musically educated in some way, I can't keep rhythm. abc's just seem like cheating to me. :(

Aldo on
  • EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm considering giving this game another try, how many people do you guys typically have in your community these days? How many tend to actually be online at a time?

Endaro on
  • The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, I've been meaning to fire this baby back up and see how things are rolling in the Barrovians again. And to see how Moria is shaping up.

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Nah, you dudes just want back in 'cause I'm into now.

It's OK.

you don't need to lie

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited February 2009

Yeah, but I don't anticipate that Sevenfold will hold up well when transferred to a lute or a harp.

And there lies your mistake.

Next time we're both on I am finding you and <i>blowing your mind.</i> :winky:

Stevo 22 on
    edited February 2009

And there lies your mistake.

Next time we're both on I am finding you and <i>blowing your mind.</i> :winky:

HTML lol.

Also, if you ever get your arse on, I'll hold you to that.

Triple B on
    edited February 2009
    We should start thinking about how our next thread is going to look. Cook's is ok, but everything is dated and I don't quite like his lay-out.

Aldo on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    And obviously he hasn't updated in forever, seriously no one thought to PM him and go "Dude the OP is old and moldy D:!"

Oh... and blowing minds eh?

Wonder what Tenacious D - Master Exploder would sound like.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    edited February 2009
    Arthil wrote: »
    And obviously he hasn't updated in forever, seriously no one thought to PM him and go "Dude the OP is old and moldy D:!"

Oh... and blowing minds eh?

Wonder what Tenacious D - Master Exploder would sound like.
    I did PM him, fucker didn't answer.

Aldo on
    edited February 2009
    So I went to try the trial, and there are two things:

Firstly, since my main reason to try the trial was to see how beautiful the game would look on my new computer, I was a little pissed to find they now do not let you play the game on any settings higher than medium in the trial. All higher settings and the advanced options are disabled. Why would you limit how your game looks when you're trying to sell people on it?

Secondly, when trying to find how much the game would cost, the website only wants to sell me the Mines of Moria for 50 or so $. Can you still buy the original shadows of agmar and play this game? It's a little ridiculous to pay a full 50 for a not so popular mmo that is not as up to date as it used to be. Most MMO's today give the god damn client version away to try to get some subscribers.

Endaro on
    edited February 2009
    It appears you downloaded the low-res client, I was able to play with DX10 effects and what have you during my trial.

Also, yes, it is still possible to play this game without having to install MoM, good luck finding a copy, though. Also also, it appears you already hate this game, why are you even trying?

I'd also also also like to point out that LOTRO is about as up to date you can get in MMO-land. DX10 support, in-game voice chat, new content gets released all the time and recently you can charter GMs to help you out with hosting in-game events.

But really, you already hate this game, maybe you should try something else.

Aldo on
    edited February 2009
    The expansion comes with the original game, by the way. It's why on various websites it'll say "Includes free 30-days!" like all usual MMOs have. I've gotta go with Aldo here, sounds like you came to the game with a bad view of it already.

Arthil on
  • Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I heard that LOTRO had great graphics. Why does the trial look worse than the screenshots on your site?
    LOTRO does have great graphics on most systems – they just take a while to download. To get you into the game more quickly, initial areas (character generation and the tutorial instances) are displayed with lower-resolution textures and less detail. However, once the complete game has downloaded (the full 12GB, not just the first segments) you will be able to adjust your graphics settings higher.

If you're still seeing lower quality graphics after the complete install is finished, exit the game, restart, and in the in-game options panel reset the graphics to High or better. You should see the change immediately.
    source

If this doesn't help you out, you can always go with the direct download of the high res client here.

Simon Moon on
    Steam: simon moon
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    edited February 2009
    Aldo wrote: »

Aye, I'm going to agree with this. Perhaps Endaro would feel more comfortable in Azeroth.

Triple B on
    edited February 2009
    Aldo wrote: »

Aye, I'm going to agree with this. Perhaps Endaro would feel more comfortable in Azeroth.

Or Altdorf or Midgard or Paragorn city or wherever. Really, there's so many MMOs out there, if one doesn't take your heart away you can always try another.

Aldo on
    edited February 2009
    I've actually already played it, and loved it. I was just hitting a surprising amount of brick walls to get back into it. I guess the idea of lower res. starting areas to get gamers in sooner is an interesting idea, but I found it a little silly to purposely limit the looks of your game in the version you use to sell it to people.

Figgy, I could not find the client to buy, not that 6$ was too pricey. No need to get pissy. All I could find were people pushing MoM for full retail price. Considering a lot of mmo's seem to be handing out the client version to get customers, I was finding it surprising how much it seemed the game didn't want me to get it.

Towards everyone else, I don't know if you guys are being helpful or defensive. If it's the formerr, thank you. If it's the latter, I apologize but the brick walls were getting frustrating.

Endaro on
    edited February 2009
    Well as I had said, I don't think they sell the original box anymore since the original game comes with the expansion, something that's usually not done with MMO's. I would not buy it online though, from Turbine, if it's saying $50, you can get it at $40 from a Brick and Mortar retailer or Best Buy. In terms of getting the client? I was able to get the client, all 10 gigs of it... ugh, through a download I get when I clicked on the trial thing on the website. I'm pretty sure higher resolution textures would have made that download all the more unbearable.

Arthil on
    edited February 2009
    Speaking of brick walls, I'm having a whore of a time getting from level 41 to 42. Every fellowship I've joined up with in the past few days has been utterly incompetent. Healers can't keep players alive, tanks don't know how to hold aggro, people running off to mine nodes during quests, etc...and it's getting increasingly difficult to even find a fellowship to begin with.

Triple B on
    edited February 2009
    do you have to group up at 40+?

I went to gamestop and they had SoA for like 20 bucks and MoM for 40.

Allchuffedup on
    steam_sig.png
    allchuffedup#1671
    edited February 2009
    I'm on a lot. My lvl 50 champion is always willing to help with fellowship quests.

His name is RAIUS. Friend him and use him when necessary.

Stevo 22 on
  • Anti-SeanAnti-Sean Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Speaking of brick walls, I'm having a whore of a time getting from level 41 to 42. Every fellowship I've joined up with in the past few days has been utterly incompetent. Healers can't keep players alive, tanks don't know how to hold aggro, people running off to mine nodes during quests, etc...and it's getting increasingly difficult to even find a fellowship to begin with.

Between Forochel, the Misty Mountains and Angmar, I was able to get from 40 to 45 pretty quickly with very little fellowing at all.

Anti-Sean on
    edited February 2009
    I'm on a lot.

Lies. Filthy lies.

Also, I've been running quests in and around Ram Duath lately, which has helped. Last night however, I attempted a Fornost run with a full party, and we got absolutely dry-humped.

Triple B on
    edited February 2009
    I'm on a lot.

Lies. Filthy lies.

I'm on a lot.

There. Is that better? Because it's true, maybe you just don't have me added to friends. Add Raius and Paramour. If I'm not busy with my IRL friends who started playing, I am always down to assist.

Stevo 22 on