As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Strange Networking Problem

ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
Ok I hate to make a new thread, but I didnt really see anything that was similar to my issue, and right now I can play no online games, so you can understand my frustration.

First a bit of background. My cable provider is Charter, the most despicable cable company in all the land, but unfortunately since I live in the middle of nowhere, dropping them is not really an option. I PAY for a 10 mb/s connection, what I get is generally a 6-8, but I've never been irritated enough to do much about it.

A few weeks ago I had an issue where none of my games were able to stay connected for more than a few minutes, and spent a lot of time trying to fix it, eventually finding out that disabling my routers firewall fixed pretty much all those issues.

Last week, something strange has started happening. I run a speed test (speedtest.net) and get back a result of 50 for my ping, and 8,500 (about) for download speed. This is pretty good for me, so I go to play some games. Unfortunately, now my latency, on both xbox and steam games, is so high that everything is unplayable. I figured someone may just be taxing the network so I layed off, but it has been doing this now for almost a week straight.

I have forwarded all appropriate ports in my router, and man I cannot figure out what this may be. Any help would be EXTREMELY appreciated.

Edit: Pinging google nets me an average of 306, making me even more confused.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
Chincymcchilla on

• Options
    KrikeeKrikee Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ping the gateway on your router; post results. If you see packet loss do a 100 count ping and post the summary.
    Trace route to your ISPs website; post results.

EDIT: It's always good to go to your ISP with some actual logs showing a problem on their network because most Level 1 techs will go into deny-deny-deny mode which has quite a bit of overlap with I-don't-understand-what-you're-talking-about mode.

Krikee on
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Krikee wrote: »
    Ping the gateway on your router; post results. If you see packet loss do a 100 count ping and post the summary.
    Trace route to your ISPs website; post results.

EDIT: It's always good to go to your ISP with some actual logs showing a problem on their network because most Level 1 techs will go into deny-deny-deny mode which has quite a bit of overlap with I-don't-understand-what-you're-talking-about mode.

No packet loss to the gateway, 1ms for each ping.

Tracert charter.com:

1) 146ms 270ms 639ms 10.188.64.1
    2) 560ms 548ms 120ms 96.34.67.150
    3) 345ms 329ms 526ms 172.22.5.5
    4) 265ms 356ms 261ms 172.22.33.73
    5) 327ms 337ms 89ms 172.22.32.173
    6) 454ms 560ms 378ms xe-8-0-0.edge3.washington1.level3.net
    7) 543ms 653ms 504ms vlan79.csw2.washington1.level3.net
    8) 378ms 184ms 170ms ae-72-72.eb42.washington1.level3.net
    9) 312ms 294ms 220ms ae-2-2.ebr2.chicago2.level3.net
    10) 271ms 342ms 213ms ae-5.ebr2.chicago1.level3.net
    11) 406ms 435ms 455ms ae-2-56.edge6.chicago1.level3.net
    12) 802ms 787ms 743ms p0-0.charter3.bbnplanet.net
    13) 610ms 590ms 472ms 96.34.2.21
    14) 270ms 513ms 572ms 96.34.48.54
    15) 256ms 227ms 164ms 96.34.48.25
    16) 779ms 625ms 569ms 24.217.31.253
    17) 252ms 339ms 231ms 24.217.29.211
    18) 414ms 230ms 343ms 24.217.29.127

Hope that helps, I cant really decipher it. As a side note, my friend who lives in the same apartment complex and has the same service CAN play games, if it was a problem on their end wouldnt he have this issue too?

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    For a first hop, an average of roughly 350ms is absurdly high; what is more interesting is the fact that 10.188.64.1 is a private IP address (ie non-routable on the internet per RFC1918).
    Are you connecting via a wireless router or any other router or are you plugged directly into your incoming internet connection? It currently looks like someone on your internal network is choking your connection.

Krikee on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    For a first hop, an average of roughly 350ms is absurdly high; what is more interesting is the fact that 10.188.64.1 is a private IP address (ie non-routable on the internet per RFC1918).
    Are you connecting via a wireless router or any other router or are you plugged directly into your incoming internet connection? It currently looks like someone on your internal network is choking your connection.

Yea, you're most likely getting your bandwidth killed by something else, and you're on an internal network. Do you have wifi? is it open? you could have someone you're not aware of on your network.

If there's nothing choking the bandwidth, try rebooting the router.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »

Yea, you're most likely getting your bandwidth killed by something else, and you're on an internal network. Do you have wifi? is it open? you could have someone you're not aware of on your network.

If there's nothing choking the bandwidth, try rebooting the router.

Even if it's not open, the possibility someone hijacked it is still likely, especially living in an apartment. I'd also suggest going in and checking the router's settings, and making sure that the ports that need to be open (ie the ones whatever game/console you're using) are open. I mention this, because sometime in the past few weeks I have been having ports randomly close due to installing a new firewall, and sometimes the thing decides I'm not secure enough. Basically what I'm rambling about is, have you installed anything lately that could have possibly changed port settings on your firewall? Things like this can greatly diminish network performance.

I really enjoy trying to sound like I know what I'm talking about.

Edit: man, I cannot read first posts! Just disregard all the advice I gave that you already tried, but look into those other things. I know you said you disabled your firewall, but try checking out the windows firewall for info.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Hops 3-5 are also private addresses, but hop 2 is public (and a charter address). It looks like he is just on Charter's network until he hits hop 6 and moves out to level 3 and most of their routers aren't returning their public address (I've seen the ISP I work for do that once).

It definitely looks weird and the high ping time to the first hop is a huge problem.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Tomanta wrote: »

Hops 3-5 are also private addresses, but hop 2 is public (and a charter address). It looks like he is just on Charter's network until he hits hop 6 and moves out to level 3 and most of their routers aren't returning their public address (I've seen the ISP I work for do that once).

It definitely looks weird and the high ping time to the first hop is a huge problem.
    Ya, I saw that. Interesting internal network setup for Charter.

Krikee on
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    lol remember those old DSL commercials showing the neighborhood yelling at eachother and physically fighting because they all had cable and were hogging the internets?

yea, this actually happens in some places. you could be in one of those places. yes, in 2009.

try connecting without a router (i.e. plug directly in and pray windows firewall holds up) and see if your results change. try it with your xbox even.

do you have problems watching youtube videos? any other internet problems?

do you use wireless at all?

also try plugging your cable modem into a different cable line. you could have a bad cable or wall connector.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream