As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
edited May 2015 in Artist's Corner

Kendeathwalker on

• Options
    ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have very mixed feelings on this.

I like your coloring for the most part, and the shakiness of the lines and shapes works in some places, but in a lot of other places where it's not showing the forms properly it looks kinda bad. The first panel for example, it's a nice texture on the pants, but it's not folded right and gets weird in places, especially around the waist. The hands are rendered nicely but the one on his lap doesn't make much sense. The same arm is a tad wonky, his shoes look smudged, the wound on his chest is a bit too spray painty and doesn't look like it's splattered on the vest.

Basically a lot of little things throughout the comic, where I like what the style is trying to do, but it has a lot of flaws still, at least to me. The kids in the second panel look like angry midgets. The 3rd and 4th panels have some weird proportions/perspective, especially the running shots. The spotlights need to be straighter, the light is bending like you're trying to fit stuff in or bend it around things. Don't be afraid to use a ruler or straight edge.

I really dislike the digital lettering and effects you've used too. I think you should be painting the text in, it looks bleh in it's current form. There's also some frames that aren't reading properly, when he gets shot on the fence for example, the next frame he looks like he's hanging from it dead, but he's obviously not since he's running around in the next ones. Did 3 people escape, and one of em died on the fence? Then the end seems rushed or something, how did the beardy hat guy get stabbed? Did he get slashed twice on the eye too? He's supposed to be flashing back but killing real people right? How did he imagine stabbing a guy in the chest (?) but really shoot him the face?

Anyways, it was interesting, and I read it all so that's a good sign, but I would like to see improvements.

Shiboe on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ken i think this is awesome
    the art style is really nice, very expressive, great use of color

i don't really have crits for it
    it's very stylized and i like that.

beavotron on
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think what caused some of Shiboe's confusion was that on page five, you're showing the spotlight tracking the fugitive as he runs from the fence into the jungle, but because you don't have any panel breaks, you're communicating that there are three fugitives being tracked by three spotlights.

I'd recommend breaking that single page panel into three full-page-height panels. You may also want to zoom farther out on each successive panel to give the impression that he's getting further away from the prison.

I may have read too many comic books and have become over-sensitive to a serif font appearing in a visual narrative. I keep wanting to see a rounded, hand-drawn looking font (like BlamBot's), but am seeing Times New Roman, which doesn't mentally translate to spoken words... I'm getting the feel of newspaper article. Too distant for the immediacy of the action you're presenting.

You're consistent throughout, so it seems this was a conscious style choice. Please explain.

Your bubbles are generally quite good (notable exception: page 7 when the guard says "the men in the vault died as well": you have to get that tail out of his mouth -- never obscure the face unless you mean it), the tails are missing their outline at times. To help with consistency, I found this tutorial helpful regarding the nuances of Photoshop lettering. If that's what you're using.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't really get what's happening in the "present." He walks onto a playground, there's blood, everyone runs, flashback, dead body on the ground and police. Am I missing something?

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I must admit I'm a little confused with the present, though I assumed that was your intention to make it a little "WTF is going on?"

I like it though, it's really good work, I love the water colour look it has. Though I agree with Shiboe about the text, it's jarring in comparison to the rest of the art. You should definately consider painting it in.

EDIT: Sorry Ken, your post wasn't up when I was writing this, so you can pretty much disregard everything I said.
    EDIT2: Except the liking it bit.

Mustang on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I understand, but now I just don't really know what the point is. Makes me feel like the amulet gave him super powers, except all he does is stab people, and I don't even know why. I got everything you said before (after thinking about it a bit), but there's very little context, which if that's your point then I guess...good job, but I don't know why I'm reading it -- and I mean that in a commercial, plot/character, writing, structure sort of sense.

And it's not Senior Sizzy! Gah!

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Overall, I like the art style, but it's got a weird uncannily realistic feeling to it, like it was all collaged from photographs. I don't know if you used alot of references or not, but it's sucking alot of the life out of some of the panels. Alot of them seem so posed, rather then conveying gesture or movement. (with the exception of the knifey stabby page, thats nice)

There's alot of confusion caused by lack of clarification. Beardy mcgee isnt clear that its the same guy from before (his eye-scar is too subtle and hidden)
    The whole artifact thing is very pointless. The story would work just as well if it wasnt even there and the guy was just escapeing from a prison. So why is it part of the story? In fact... it turns into a coffee cup in the last panel.

You have to really emphasize certain parts of the story to get clarification across, while making other elements more subtle so the reader knows what they're supposed to pay attention to. When the reader starts glossing over important plot points (like the connection between characters, some sequences of events, etc etc) is when people start getting confused and have to start re-reading things that they didnt understand the first time (which is usually a bad thing. you want the reader to understand it right away)

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    NastymanNastyman Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Maybe the talisman is of some great importance to the people of that prison. I mean it looks like beard guy has a little one on his hat. This could all be about money or something as well. That thing could be worth millions.

Also, Gibs, the talisman is around his neck on a chain...

Nastyman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm digging the artwork, even though I agree that many times it looks very posed, the line quality and color texture looks good. There are a few times I'm really turned off by it though. The right hand cop sticking his gun out from behind a car is horribly disproportioned and looks very cartoonish compared to everything else. Also, the scene where the fat guy is grabbing in the other dude's arm around is neck is really boring for and stale for portraying a moment that should be very intense.

The "almost black" digital panel borders are majorly distracting though. The digital roundness to each end looks bad and they look especially bad when adjacent to a darker black.

What you might want to do after you compose your panels in photoshop is print them out very light and draw the panel lines in with india ink and a brush. Then, scan that back in and pop the levels so all you have left are your ink lines and lay that on a layer on top of your work for panel borders.

The SFX lettering is too crisp and digital as well. However, the overlay/screen effect you have going on with it is nice. Some distressing and tweaking of the SFX letters might help that.

However, the worst part of your comic is the lettering. It is atrocious and really painful on the eyes. I can't bring myself to sit and actually read the contents of the word balloons because of it. Check out what dude was saying before, and if you don't have the steady hand to hand-letter these, go to Blambot and get something suiting. Also you might want to go to Balloon Tales and check the tutorials and tips and tricks for both lettering.

All in all though, good job.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    I may be the only one, but I guess I'm a lot less jazzed about the style than most people here. The idea of the style is good, but the actual execution I'm not so sure about.

In my opinion, the only 3 really and truly fully successful panels are the 3 at the end of page 2. The use of pattern and color and line and flattened composition here really come together to make a fantastic looking little sequence. It's a very nice effect and I'd be all over it if the entire thing looked as good as those 3 panels.

Unfortunately, I suspect the reason behind these panels being so successful is that they are much more about the art and far less about the storytelling than the rest of the comic, making them effectively 3 fine art pieces more than panels in a comic. It's a situation where you can get away with a bit of wonkiness and having 50%+ of the composition filled up by semi-ambiguous patterning, because with these static panels, the thing more or less just has to look good, not communicate much about the story.

Where it falls down in your current execution is when you try to take that nice semi-abstract fine art sensibility, and then try to make do all the things a traditional comic would do, in all the traditional comic ways. Speedlines! Dynamic perspective! Crazy action poses! Realistic(ish) colors! Realistic machinery! Stuff that more or depends on totally solid, perspective-and-foreshortening intensive drawing to make them work effectively. I mean, Batman comics generally don't look like Matisse drew them, because if they did they would most likely be largely incomprehensible.

If you want to work with a more abstract, 2d-design focused style, you have to ensure your color, poses, compositions, etc. play to the strengths of that style, rather than work against them. That's going to mean spending a lot more time working out designs that work in a flat manner, rather than just drawing whatever you would do if you were going to film the thing as a movie. Likely that's going to mean exaggerating your poses to be much more Phil Hale/Ashley Wood, to read boldly in silhouette rather than anything very naturalistic or nuanced. That's going to mean being a lot less literal in your color and perspective and design choices in general. The abstraction and design sensibility isn't being pushed far enough or regularly enough to successfully supplant the information that is being lost by in not be drawn in a more ordinary style, at least in my eyes.

Right now, because of its traditional sort of presentation/story/staging, it makes me wonder if it's supposed to look tighter/more traditional in the art style, and is simply not getting there because of lack of skill, rather than winning me over to the style in a "hey he couldn't tell this story in this way without this style, good job" sort of way. If it were just a story about a dude drinking coffee on a park bench, I probably would be convinced. As it stands, I'm not.

EDIT: By "I may be the only one", I meant, "I didn't read posts that looked long" so this may have been redundant in spots.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    adams' response doesn't surprise me much
    but that being said, the artists who were known for tracing were big in the beginning of last century..and well, vermeer died in 1675 according to wiki

times, ideas and artistic practices have changed drastically since then
    there's no longer as much of an emphasis on making things photo-realistic and more of an emphasis on being creative, and expressive

also, i would have asked him what the hell vermeer was tracing since like i said he died in 1675 and the first photograph was taken in 1814

beavotron on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I agree with most of the comments. This could use some tweaking, some of the poses are stiff. But it shows a lot of effort. Keep on working hard!

As far as the tracing argument goes...would have never thought to hear that.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    I suppose my view would be a variation of beavo's, at least in that tracing seems to make sense if you're using photos for each frame, and mean to get the pictures exactly as they are in those photos. As she said, though, it doesn't make as much sense if you mean to have your own drawing style show through. I feel like one might be able to rephrase what Neal seems to have said and say that the intentions behind your representational choices don't matter in that the reader doesn't see them--they see the results of those intentions, the representations themselves.

I think the reason that tracing is considered cheating (and I do agree with those reasons) is because generally when people trace, it's as a shortcut to getting something to look right, and falling back on something like that makes it much harder to actually learn. I think it's possible to learn by tracing, and it has the appeal that you have proportionally correct results while you're learning but there are easier ways to learn, and besides, you have to know what to trace, or you'll have perfect outlines that look wonky on the inside.

Angel_of_Bacon may have covered some of what I said, but all I read of his post was the part where he didn't read the other long posts, so if I did, it serves him right.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mustang- Thank you.

. At the New York Comic Con I showed my comic to Neal Adams. (Im just going to assume you know who he is.) He glanced at maybe the first page and asked if I was using reference. I replied yes and he pointed at a panel and said, this looks good, did you trace the photograph? I said no I would never do that. He went on to point at some of the weaker panels and critiqued them a bit then asked me why I wasnt tracing. I replied I prefer to interpret and allow my voice to come into it. His reply was no one gives a fuck what you want and a lot of this looks like wonkiness. He went on a 15 minute tirade about all the great artist throught out history that have traced (Rockwell, Vermeer, etc.) and how any one who says tracing needs to go and fuck them selves. His language is pretty vulgar, but hes Neal adams. He asked me if I thought I was smarter than all those artists. He then asked me if the knowledge I had in my mind was more correct than what the camera was telling me. He then told me that the reason I dont trace is propably because other people have told me its cheating. Then went on to say that I should be tracing and learning from the photography. I replied with the stiff and posed argument to which he responded you need to learn how to trace and how to use photography then. He wrapped it up with learn from photography by tracing and move on, then he patted me on my head and told me I had potential. I have not done his argument justice, but he shook up my beliefs. If your familiar with his work you wouldnt really think he traced photographs. He says he rarely does any more but used to quite often.

He ended his tirade with dont listen to what I say make up your own damn mind.

I still feel like it would stifle voice and that its cheating, but I can honestly say, I have never really tried tracing.

Id love to hear other peoples opinions on this. Open minded opinions, If all your gonna do is shout down tracing as cheating, Ive heard that a thousand times..

The one thing I could see Neal Adams refering to with regards from tracing was tracing over your own photographs. They are in a sense, your own original works that your merely swiping. That's probably why he says you should pick up photography. However, even swiping is often frowned upon. Look at the flak Greg Land receives, though he's clearly in a league of his own with his lack of integrity.

Another thing you have to consider is that you do not want to become a slave to reference. You need to learn anatomy, study proportions, perspectives, all that stuff, not just so you can become a better artist, but rather so that you are not forced to work your story or compositions around a finite library of stock images. It's already becoming obvious that your tied explicit to using them, as many of your panels offer very generic and repetitive composition layouts. Lots of comic artist take a movie camera approach, where angles and perspectives are drawn out to enhance a mood or give a certain feel and emphasis on that moment of the story. Go watch the matrix, or better yet, 300. Do you think that seen where leonidas stands up after that volley of arrows and swipes his sword on them would be as effective if the camera angle were leveled with him, rather than gazing upwards from the bottom? Believe it or not, assuming the artist knows the fundementals and technical aspects of art, being able to tell a story as described through panels is perhaps the no1 thing editors and publishers look for when going over portfolios.

I'll give you credit though, inconsintincies aside, you do seem very capable of tackling an ambitous project without worry of burnout. Just don't be lured by the many apparent shortcuts or traps working digital can bring. Study the essentials, and you'll do fine.

Sorry for the rant. I do that alot.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    [This was going to be an edit, but considering it's longer than the original post, I'll put it in a new one]

Lucky him...unlucky me, because I was getting pretty far into a response (both to him and the artwork) when an errant backspace sent me away from the page, and my response into the oblivion between my computer and the internet. Anyway, I was saying that generally, I agree with him in that those three panels on page two are particularly nice, and that using the style you've got with the story is going to take some considerations and some changes. Overall, I quite like the style (or, to quote AoB, "the ideaof the style"); I think the watercolors especially work well on the present-day scenes, and they have an expressive quality that's fairly unique to the comic-book genre (I don't want to put out the impression that they're unheard of, but I think they help your comic stand out a bit, even if you don't end up continuing with it.

I think an example of what people may have been referring to in terms of your poses seeming forced would be the fourth panel of the first page, and I think it has a lot to do with their expressions, though my eye isn't good enough to figure out why just yet.

I think you need to be more consistent about how prominent you want your lines to be; there are some places where there are none, some with toned outlines, and some with straight black, and it doesn't work, at least for me, to seem them jumping back and forth between the three.

I agree with McGibs that some of the key points in your story aren't clear enough, especially 1) that the red-bearded guy wasn't dead/was important enough to keep track of (yeah, in retrospect, it was pretty obvious where he's pulling the knife out of his stomach, but little else changed, and without the important part, I kind of missed that bit the first time. On the plus side, I do like how you changed the hand from limp to tense so subtly. Either way, I might suggest bringing his right leg up or something; I would think pulling something out of there would make me want to go fetal, at least based on stomachaches I've had. Oh, right, and 2) that the dead guy in the park is the same guy; Gibs nailed it, I think, about the eye-scar being too hidden. The first time I went through it, I thought the guy had gone PTSS and shot a guy who just looked the same.

I don't like the sound effects you've got going on; they don't seem to fit with the art style, at least to me, and there are a few that I think you could take away without confusing the story too much.

Anyway, that's all I have for now; hopefully some of it is useful.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    beavotron wrote: »
    also, i would have asked him what the hell vermeer was tracing since like i said he died in 1675 and the first photograph was taken in 1814

Camera obscura/lucida images is the thought.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    those crazy masters
    always with the tomfoolery.

beavotron on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    those crazy masters
    always with the tomfoolery.

The most encouraging thing I heard recently was that Van Gogh spend 2 years with a 6-section view finder teaching himself to draw o.O

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    5.00?
    what a dick

i mean, he's good
    but he's really not that good. definitely not good enough to be an asshole to you and charge for his sig
    he really has nothing on some of the artists over at conceptart.org

darwynn cooke will sign your stuff and draw you a little pic for free.
    and i think he's better, personally haha.

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    There is nothing wrong with batman suspended from the batcopter on a batladder furiously punching a shark as robin acrobatically hands him the shark repellant so said beast can fall back to the ocean and explode.

Shiboe on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Bacon your critique intrigues me and Ive been exploring it since you gave it to me.

I do have a few questions for you tho.
    Distilled down basically what you are saying is my style, or approach is not suited towards the typical comic book story telling methods. The way I have set the stage in certain panels doesnt lend it self to my style. correct? Your basically making the argument that this looser style is not suited for telling the traditional comic book type story.

I haven't seen any of Williams' or Pratt's comic work, so I can't say how well their styles are applied to storytelling.

I am not bashing the idea of a loose style at all (hence my reference to Wood, who I do like and has an extremely loose style), only that your style as presented throughout most of the comic does not currently tell the story as nearly as effectively as it could, which has little to do with just whether it is loose or not, and much more to do with having the discretion to know how and when and why to stylize things to make them function well.

If you were to just take screengrabs from a film and laid it out as a comic, then drew over if as-is applying "style" as you go like it were a photoshop effect, it's going to look like crap because no intelligence went into the thought process, where the difference lies between film and paint and line. And that's sort of what it feels like here: you had a movie in your head, shot your ref, applied "style", and assumed it would just work- and it doesn't, at least not for me.
    Right now, because of its traditional sort of presentation/story/staging, it makes me wonder if it's supposed to look tighter/more traditional in the art style, and is simply not getting there because of lack of skill, rather than winning me over to the style in a "hey he couldn't tell this story in this way without this style, good job" sort of way.

Im guessing this is because of a lack of consistency? some areas I go flat and stylized and other areas I start rendering?
    (I have been getting this feedback around the board, and Not really sure how to "fix" it)

Partly. The 3 panels I mentioned look like a style has been thought out and you have explicit ideas about pattern and line you want to get across. In the forest segment, it looks more like you just copied off photos, threw some paint on it and called it a day- where did those ideas go? The result is it just looks like a poor attempt at realism, when you should be making it explicit that it is a style and you have thought it out and you've made changes that make the style more effective at expressing what you want to express than straight realism could offer. This isn't something that is coming across in most of these panels.

If you're going to stylize, it's got to be obvious and explicit and jumping up and down saying HEY THIS IS STYLIZED YOU MOTHERFUCKER in big bold letters to the audience, not being limp-wristed about it ("Hey, this is style...I guess") like it is on a lot of these panels.

Now what I was getting at is that you may indeed have been trying to get across the same style and ideas in those 3 panels across the board, but found that the style established there did not have the versatility to be applied in the situations that were demand of it, or you did not have the technical ability to make it work nearly as effectively, or you just didn't put the amount of thought necessary into it, I don't know.

Whatever the case, you need to either push the style further, or lean back more towards traditional realism when the seams start to show, because the middle ground is a terrible place to be. Unfortunately without being you, and not really knowing what it is in your head that you are trying to achieve, it's difficult to give concrete, DO THIS IT WILL MAKE IT BETTER advice.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah KDW, I haven't commented on this yet because I didn't know what to say honestly. When I look at your work I always feel a pang of 'so close' but it rarely satisfies me. The exception being most of the animal inks from this thread. I guess your work doesn't really feel stylized to me. It just feels like that is how you paint, and not really in a good way. It just doesn't have the confidence those inks have. Usually when you make a decision it feels like you are trying to hide a weakness, rather than play up a strength. These are ambiguous concepts but you are obviously a competent draftsman and I can only get so specific.

But the faces on page 3 are the kinds of things that shouldn't even make it to that point. You should have gone back to the drawing board on those to make them work before ever moving into ink or color.

I get a creepy vibe from your work honestly, I think that you are going to do really well because there is certainly a lot of room for this type of work particularly in editorial illustration, but if you want to really deserve that success rather than capitalize on a 'look'...I think you need to pay more attention to your drawing.

That may sound harsh but I do intend to help. I like you work on the whole, but it usually feels like it falls a little short of what you are capable of.

rts on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well, where drawing is concerned I can help. It's about the only thing in the world that I am any good at, and I am actually pretty good at critiqueing it as well. If you post some straight figurative drawing stuff I might be able to help.

rts on