As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]Ball II: Chat Harder

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Speaker wrote: »
    jeepguy wrote: »
    I wonder about film critics sometimes.

I mean, Princess Mononoke has a 93% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Who the fuck were the 7% who thought it was objectively bad, and how is that even a defensible position? Imagine someone trying to convince you not to look at a Rembrandt "because, you know, it's not even worth a look" and how does that person not deserve to be punched in the face followed by unemployment as an art critic?

Especially since it had all the preachy moral complexity of a Star Trek episode.

I mean, who doesn't love that.

Did we even watch the same film? I thought it did an admirable job of presenting the central conflict of industrialization without demonizing the humans and their "progress" and the characters were complex, nuanced, and defied simplistic good/evil categorizations.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    There should be a movie for The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

I'm sure it could also have Elton John in boot props.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Who the fuck were the 7% who thought it was objectively bad, and how is that even a defensible position? Imagine someone trying to convince you not to look at a Rembrandt "because, you know, it's not even worth a look" and how does that person not deserve to be punched in the face followed by unemployment as an art critic?

Especially since it had all the preachy moral complexity of a Star Trek episode.

Did we even watch the same film? I thought it did an admirable job of presenting the central conflict of industrialization without demonizing the humans and their "progress" and the characters were complex, nuanced, and defied simplistic good/evil categorizations.

It even had a happy ending.

Sort of.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Yeah, I was just razzing you.

I saw it like a year ago and don't remember much besides the dude riding the Ostrich.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Elki wrote: »

Did you make my potatoes?

No, I haven't been doing any cooking lately. I'm only home in the evening on tuesday and wednesday, and Emma makes dinner.

I have the recipe safe and sound though. For someday.

I was born by the river
    In a little tent
    Oh, and just like the river I've been running
    Ever since

It's been a long
    Long time coming
    But I know a change is gonna come

Speaker on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    fuck I am a pretty hot dj

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I now have three versions of DJ MAX Portable, and none of them are the US version.

Don't hate me, Pentavision.

They ported all 3 to the States?

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    There is only one measure of DJ hotness: how often have you "ironically" played "I Like Big Butts" for a crowd of white folks?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Podly wrote: »

Can you stop?

Will you stop?

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Yeah, I was just razzing you.

I saw it like a year ago and don't remember much besides the dude riding the Ostrich.

Ahhh, ok.

To me the film will always be special, one of the last great hand-made animated films (there was a negligible amount of CG art and like, 150,000 hand painted frames).

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    I now have three versions of DJ MAX Portable, and none of them are the US version.

Well, no, but there's a US version. Instead of getting it, I have Portable 1 & 2 and Clazziquai edition.

Fever(the US one) is basically a reworking of 2, so I technically have no reason to own it.

Also, Clazziquai improved a lot.

It has full motion video, for one

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Animal rights thread always bring out the weirdest torrent of crazy.

Speaker on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Can you stop?

Will you stop?

Would that I could stop I dare say I could not.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Can you stop?

Will you stop?

Would that I could stop I dare say I could not.

Zooks!

It would appear that the beat is an iron rail on which your soul is grooved to run!

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I only know Japanese pop songs through shinichi osawa remixes

which I consider a good thing

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Good thing that's not Japanese.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2009
    I'm going to ask you about some DJing question soon, Pods.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Cokebotle wrote: »

Well, no, but there's a US version. Instead of getting it, I have Portable 1 & 2 and Clazziquai edition.

Fever(the US one) is basically a reworking of 2, so I technically have no reason to own it.

Also, Clazziquai improved a lot.

It has full motion video, for one

Ah, gotcha. Didn't know they even had a US version. Cool deal, though. (I'll check the video later tonight when not at work)

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2009

Yes.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Bah! Times New Roman is for squares, for me it's gonna be wingdings with a legend on each page.

But really, if you're writing a paper, you don't use anything but Times New Roman 12 point double-spaced with the appropriate citation style unless told otherwise.

James on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Yes.

At least you can take solace in the bastion of reasoned discourse that is the airline peanut thread.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    James wrote: »
    Hey also, since this doesn't say a thing about being Times New Roman 12 point, what's a good font/layout for a readable paper?

I would suggest Times New Roman 12 point.
    Or Times New Roman 12 point double spaced.
    It's really the best font.
    Night everyone.

Helvetica, 10pt.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Zwounds, I confuzzled the optative and the subjunctive!

Would that I might stop, I dare say I could not.
    That not my sordid words express myself most fully,
    But that my deep crossing faders and filters of such low pass
    Are how one might peer into my very soul and find sweet harmony
    And asses dropping as if the sun himself dost make his home
    In their pants, as if they were a picture from my camera polaroid.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    Hey also, since this doesn't say a thing about being Times New Roman 12 point, what's a good font/layout for a readable paper?

Night everyone.

Helvetica, 10pt.

Frutiger ultra light

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'm going to ask you about some DJing question soon, Pods.

sweet

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Bah! Times New Roman is for squares, for me it's gonna be wingdings with a legend on each page.

But really, if you're writing a paper, you don't use anything but Times New Roman 12 point double-spaced with the appropriate citation style unless told otherwise.

I always keep it single-spaced until I finish writing, and then when I double-space it I am like "surprise I hit the pagecount!"

Though I suppose in this case, it doesn't matter. Still, I like it.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The only DJ I keep up with is BT.

What's he been up to, anyway?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'm glad I asked.
    New York, NY - Following Brian (BT) Transeau's critically acclaimed electronic film/5.1 masterpiece, This Binary Universe (heralded as ”The most important electronic work of the new millennium” by Keyboard Magazine); a foray into the world of animated film making seems like a very natural progression for him.
    * Next up Transeau is scoring the new Pixar short Cars-Tokyo Mater!. “I am beyond thrilled” says BT, “it’s the first thing I’ve ever done that my daughter thinks kicks ass!!”
    * In addition, Transeau has completed a “dub-step, glitched out orchestral-freak out” for the new Sega game Alpha Protocol featuring a full orchestra.
    * He is also in the process of remixing and collaborating with Shiny Toy Guns, Christian Burn and Catherine Wheel’s Rob Dickenson.
    * BT's plans for a full tour with his live band upon completion of his as-yet-untitled upcoming album are coming soon!

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Night everyone.

Helvetica, 10pt.

Frutiger ultra light

I would have taken you for a Bernhard Fashion.

moniker on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    im sleepy i just watched top chef with some friends

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I don't know what Alpha Protocol is, but I'm suddenly very interested.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Nice Podly.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I always keep it single-spaced until I finish writing, and then when I double-space it I am like "surprise I hit the pagecount!"

I understand the usefulness of double space for editing, but I rather dislike the look of it.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I understand the usefulness of double space for editing, but I rather dislike the look of it.

Oh yeah, I think it looks awful. But I wouldn't want to correct single-spaced.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Yes.

Drives me crazy.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Night everyone.

Helvetica, 10pt.

Frutiger ultra light

I do love Bernhard Fashion, but for general purpose it's gotta be Frutiger, as light as possible.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Night everyone.

Helvetica, 10pt.

Frutiger ultra light

I do love Bernhard Fashion, but for general purpose it's gotta be Frutiger, as light as possible.

"Frutiger Ultra Light" sounds like the kind of beer I'd expect to find you sipping slowly out of a brandy snifter.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I think I'm gonna go with Papyrus for the even words and Comic Sans for the odds.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Calibri seems fine.

Speaker on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    "Courier New",0xFF333333,11px

(who measures fonts in points in this day and age?)

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
This discussion has been closed.