As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So who will have a Nintendo DSi for PAX09?

ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front ProductionsLake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
edited March 2009 in PAX Archive
I know some of us went over this a while ago, but... that was a while ago. Today, the DSi was announced to be released stateside on April 5th, about a month and a half away, for $170. As you all (hopefully) know, this thing has two cameras on it, as well as an SD card slot, for music playback and other things. It also has slightly bigger screens and better wireless capabilities (thank god!). Just think of the possibilities, and how much more horrifying it will be to stand in a line with a DS from now on!

Anyway, I know I'll have one, sense I'm still rolling with the first version. Who else?

Oh, and what color!
dsi.jpg

NSw0gum.png
Coldbrew on

• parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'll stick with my lite.

parabola on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ack, I don't know if I can afford one yet. =( I still have the regular DS (not even lite =) ).

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ack, I don't know if I can afford one yet. =( I still have the regular DS (not even lite =) ).

Sadly, my regular DS went kapootski. So The Boyfriend "bought"* one for me as an early Birthday present. And it's a nice shiny dark-green top and black bottom. I named it "Lyeadactyl"...kee-hee.

*"bought" = It was really me who bought it for myself, but claimed to be him since he is going to school and only working on the weekends still at the Noble.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ahh, understandable... well you got one though! That's good! =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I might have one...depends on what my finances are like by then, that's about the time that I have all my credit card debt paid off. I want one for my DS-10 so that I can pull off a cheap vocoder

*does happy dance*

JonnyNero on
  • thenicole84thenicole84 Registered User new member
    edited February 2009
    I JUST bought a DSLite this past weekend, and the only reason I could afford to was because of my tax refund, so I seriously doubt I'll have a DSi by then...maybe my boyfriend will.

thenicole84 on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    From what Im reading on the internets, the DSi has a terrible battery life compared to the Lite :( Like less than half.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's not that amazing of a camera, no backwards compatibility, and less battery life = me not planning on getting one

MeeOk on
  • NorthNorth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'll probably end up getting one if the screens turn out better then the lites. Most of my DS playing is sitting within 5 feet of an outlet anyway.

North on
  • s7arbucks7arbuck Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have one right now. Are they not making the white One for America? I have the white Japanese or and it is great. Atlease for the switching between pictochat and download play all you have to do is go home and not turn it off (this is how everything works) so I can eject games midway and it will still read. Second the battery is great, I am not a hardcore user, but for a 9 hour plane ride/layovers it was on the entire time (some times standby) also the camera can be really funny. The mic can go backwards so when you listen to missy elliot it helps. Overall I think it's great (wish I knew Japanese) but over all I would say totally worth the upgrade. Me? I got it in late November. After I had gotten a new ds a week before pax because my old one got jacked. Ohhhh and there is pic swapping!!!!! (and more but I don't have any other dsi people to try stuff out with)

s7arbuck on
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Im still using the pink lite I won from the family feud game. I don't think a camera is gonna make me switch.

The_Reflection on
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I would have imported one after the Japan launch if I had the money, but oh well. I've had the first DS sense it came out and had no problems, but I'm looking forward to the SD card slot and improved wireless. The dual cameras are cool and can at least make things interesting at PAX, and I can care less about the lack of a GBA port.

s7arbuck: Good to know the battery life is still descent, and I know the screens are bigger, but are there still brightness settings?

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • [Mr]Skadoosh[Mr]Skadoosh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Most likely
    cuz my Black lite is starting to shit out (my triggers dont work and its never had the best WiFi)
    i will defiantly go get one of these as soon as i get my Tax return

[Mr]Skadoosh on
    486x60_toxic_no_tag.jpg
  • autosexualautosexual Registered User new member
    edited February 2009
    The new DSi is gimmicky.

autosexual on
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    BigRed wrote: »
    From what Im reading on the internets, the DSi has a terrible battery life compared to the Lite :( Like less than half.

That's probably the one reason I wont get it.

Although the reason for that is due to the fact it has a much higher brightness setting. I think with both at the lowest they last about the same.

parabola on
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    As long as it physically has brightness settings to help make it last longer, I'll be satisfied. They should make a USB charger for it. :P

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I hope no one buys one.

NotASenator on
  • demonthresisdemonthresis Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Flying out to PAX and getting a hotel is already too much money for me, I'm sticking with my Lite.

demonthresis on
    Pretty, what do we blow up first?
    edited February 2009
    s7arbuck wrote: »
    blahblahblah

1) you admitted it was in standby a lot of the time and you didnt hardcore game on it (which to me means, multiplayer over wifi and screen brightness at like 70%)
    2) the DSi wont last the majority of the day on a single charge. Ive been seeing figures like 5-7 hours of battery life, which is pathetic compared to the lite which I have gotten around 12-14 hours of heavy gaming on before.

(think cross country flights all in one day, bleh)

It would be shitty for a place like pax :( The main draw of the DS lite (for me anyway) is it lasts forever on a charge.

BigRed on
  • eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'll be sticking with Mr. DS Lite and his amazing endurance.

The DSi does seem really gimmicky. Not a lot of improvement that's worth being excited about.

eye-shuh on
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I will own a DSi (I do a lot of my playing at home) although I'm not sure if I'm going to bring it for the battery reasons. I might bring both so that I have that more more battery time on the plane.

PeasantDave on
  • RCars2RCars2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm seriously considdering getting one to bring with but i will probably bring my DS lite with as well because of the battery issue. Granted i dont plan to be running my ds much other places than in the ever long lines while at PAX but it would be rather lame sauce to have it poop out and be without some form of entertainment.

RCars2 on
    carlinsig.png
  • s7arbucks7arbuck Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i guess other than the long lines in the beginning i really dont use my ds for a while except maybe cock band lines etc. so it wont really matter too mch for me. plus if the usb cord charges or comes out or something it will be good. plus bigred, arnt ou always by a plugin?

s7arbuck on
    edited February 2009
    s7arbuck wrote: »
    i guess other than the long lines in the beginning i really dont use my ds for a while except maybe cock band lines etc. so it wont really matter too mch for me. plus if the usb cord charges or comes out or something it will be good. plus bigred, arnt ou always by a plugin?

Not when im mobile at work or when im hanging out with friends. I have all my electronics purchased for max battery life (5.5h for my laptop, and I have many spare batts :P) since its often many hours that im somewhere without an outlet.

and Im refering more to an attendee perspective at PAX, not where I work it.

BigRed on
    edited February 2009
    As long as you have one that only requires the DS card slot (for some reason i cant remember if that's slot 1 or 2) then i dont see why they wouldn't work, but it is something I'll be looking at as well. Then again, at least until PAX09 is over, I will probably have the DSi as well as my original DS just in case.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm not sure. Once it's officially out in the US I'll think about it. The biggest draw for me is a built in web browser and I'm not sure that's enough to convince me.

Randomfool on
    I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
    edited February 2009
    I believe the web browser is built off the Wii's Opera browser, but i heard that before it was out in Japan, so I'm not certain. Either way, with flash carts, you can have a web browser on the original and lite, but the one on the DSi will probably be more functional. At least I hope so.

Again, everybody keep in mind that the DSi has better wireless functionality (hopefully), remember how bad the lag was at certain times before. :P

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • nintendoXOnintendoXO Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i will have a dsi for PAX 09 in blue! :D

nintendoXO on
  • MrBartokomousMrBartokomous Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I won't. Don't get me wrong, it's a cool device, but I can't justify the expense... I've got a DS, I've got a camera, and I've got a day-pack more than big enough to carry both, along with my netbook and a few other goodies.

MrBartokomous on
  • BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I still <3 my pink DS lite, and already have a way better camera so... nope. I'm skipping it.

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Don't think make extended battery packs for these things? Like they do for cell phones?

Anyway, as I don't have a DS Lite of my own, I've been using my brother's, I'm considering getting this.

But it doesn't matter as I don't know if I can make it to PAX this year.

Goose! on
    edited February 2009
    I don't think Nintendo makes any, but there may be some third-party battery packs out there, or just extra batteries, I'm not sure. It would be nice though!

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • DMmagicDMmagic PAX East Enforcer Springfield, MO, USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'll bring my DS Lite, but I don't have many games... anything in particular I should acquire before September?

Right now, I have Pokemon (Diamond, I think...), Mario 64 on DS, Animal Crossing, and Zelda.

DMmagic on
  • ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    I don't think Nintendo makes any, but there may be some third-party battery packs out there, or just extra batteries, I'm not sure. It would be nice though!

You can buy spare third party batteries for $10, but the battery compartment is screwed in so switching them is kind of a pain.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
    edited February 2009
    That could be a pain but still, an extra battery for $10, that's not bad at all as long as it lasts just as long as the original. I may have to look into that.

I have Pokemon Pearl (might pick up Platinum when it launches next month), also have Mario 64 DS, Mario Kart, Puzzle Quest, and some others... I need to find out if Chinatown Wars is going to have any multiplayer.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    That could be a pain but still, an extra battery for $10, that's not bad at all as long as it lasts just as long as the original. I may have to look into that.

I have Pokemon Pearl (might pick up Platinum when it launches next month), also have Mario 64 DS, Mario Kart, Puzzle Quest, and some others... I need to find out if Chinatown Wars is going to have any multiplayer.

It will, but I think that you can only share stats and trade drugs. In other words, nothing interesting. You should also pick up Worms DS (good fun) and the new Puzzle Quest.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
    edited February 2009
    Wow that's kinda lame, but oh well... I do have Worms OW 2 for the PSP, but I can always "snag a copy" for the DS, same with the new Puzzle Quest (which I keep hearing is awesome but for some reason I had "issues" with the first one... (I'll try the new one)). :P

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    DSi looks like fun to me, and I'm willing to brave just about anything those two cameras might throw my way. Battery life? Whatever. I'm always charging anyway.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2009
    You'll barely have time to charge during PAX. Personally, I still have a DS Phat and probably won't replace it before PAX. If I do, I'll be upgrading to a Lite, too bad there aren't plans for a price drop yet.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    You'll barely have time to charge during PAX. Personally, I still have a DS Phat and probably won't replace it before PAX. If I do, I'll be upgrading to a Lite, too bad there aren't plans for a price drop yet.
    Pardon the slight exaggeration, but I always find ways. A backup Lite comes along just the same.

It'll be interesting to see whether DSi Ware's performance will influence Nintendo's portable hardware structure.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
This discussion has been closed.