As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Twitter

ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in PAX Archive
813762250_7Sg8T-L.jpg

So, have you heard of this social networking thing called Twitter? It's kind of a big deal. Lots of PAXers are on Twitter. We call ourselves the Twitter Shitters. I'll use a list to keep track of everyone's Twitter names. That way when new people join they can start following everyone. So if you're on Twitter, reply to this thread with your name (@name) and I will add you to the list! If you're not on Twitter, sign up!

How to get started on Twitter:
Populating your friend list
Once you have registered on twitter, simply go to this list and click on "follow list". If you don't want to follow the PAX community (anti-social!) then bookmark the list itself and check on it when you need a dose of nerdy PAX goodness (yes, I just said that. Deal with it).

Using Twitter at your desk
Twitter is accessible from just about any device that has an internet connection. While it has a decent web interface, the real power of twitter comes from the third party applications that access it using the API. It's best to consider Twitter to be the "pipes" and these applications to be the "faucets". The simplest way to get your PC or Mac connected to twitter is Tweetdeck.

Using Twitter on the go
Twitter is designed to work with SMS (hence the 140 character limit). You can link your cellphone to your twitter username and begin texting tweets by clicking here. If you have a smartphone, then I suggest that you refer to the "Recommended Twitter Apps" list below and find a suitable application for your device. This will provide you with a better interface, the ability to quickly attach pictures to your tweets, and a cheaper monthly phone bill.

Common Twitter Verbiage
Purpose: Good for quick responses and continuing a discussion.
Format: @username - comment (Example: "@rulesaremyenemy emergency dance party?!?!")

Direct Message
Purpose: Used for sending private information or any conversation that you don't want to share with the general community
Format: D username - comment (Example: "D chelseabot why won't your mom return my calls?")

Re-tweet
Purpose: Used for sharing something another person has said
Format: RT @username - comment (Example: "RT @TimDisaster: If Google buys twitter, would that mean that twitter would instantly go back to a beta status?")
Note: only use the original authors name, a re-tweet should not look like "RT @rulesaremyenemy RT @TimDisaster: If Google buys twitter, would that mean that twitter would instantly go back to a beta status?"

That's it, your on Twitter! Send out funny jokes, anecdotes from your life, link to articles, share pictures, do whatever you want with your new connection to the human race.

Recommended Twitter Apps
PC/Mac: Tweetdeck, Twhirl, Twitterfox, Tweetie (Mac OS X only), Seesmic Desktop, Destroy Twitter
iPhone/Touch: Tweetie (rebranded as the official Twitter app), Tweetdeck, Twinkle, Twitterific, TwitterFon
Blackberry: UberTwitter, Twitterberry
Android: Tweetdeck, Twicca, The Official twitter App, TwitterDroid, trak, twidroid
Nintendo DS: DSTwitter

Hash Tags
Hashtags are a community-driven convention for adding additional context and metadata to your tweets. Add these hash tags to the end of any tweets related to the subject.
#BYOC - Bring Your Own Computer LAN
#CCST10 - Cross-Country Supertrip 2011
#PAX - General PAX Prime related tweets
#PAXeast - General PAX East related tweets
#paxtrain - West Coast Train Trip 2011
#PPD11 - Pre-PAX Dinner 2011
#TWDT11 - Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament 2011
#PAXUK - Hashtag for UK PAXers to discuss weekly meetups, dark beers, and how they are generally better then americans in every way. Well, maybe not that last one.

The Official Twitter Shitter T-Shirt
The official Twitter Shitter T-Shirt for PAX Prime 2010 is here!
bbdAm.pngSPY6f.png
Look at how sexy that is. I know that you want one for yourself.

The PAX Tweetup
Every year at PAX we have a tweetup on Sunday night. Essentially we pick a bar close to the convention center, blast out the time and place on twitter all weekend, and then see who shows up. This is a great way to put names to faces and meet new friends. The tweetup will run from around 8pm until last call, so feel free to stop by before or after any other sunday night events that you might be attending!

1EAFQ.gif
ukiyo e on

• eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    eye-shuh on
  • Mystral721Mystral721 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    http://twitter.com/Luneowl here. Join us, get your geek on early!

Mystral721 on
    "Little baby Cthulhu hopping through the forest, picking up the field mice and Sucking Out Their Souls"

http://www.logicalcreativity.com/jon/plush/01.html
  • TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    @transparnthuman

And this starts again. Who's maintaining the list here? Or are we just going to use http://twitterpax.ning.com/ ?

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • s7arbucks7arbuck Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    @s7arbuck

classy

s7arbuck on
  • HortosHortos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    http://www.twitter.com/BrianCalhoun Hey I'm checking in, this year is gonna be sick with it.

Hortos on
  • ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    @transparnthuman

And this starts again. Who's maintaining the list here? Or are we just going to use http://twitterpax.ning.com/ ?

I'll be maintaining the list here. I'm working on a proper OP right now with links and everything, I just wanted to get this started.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    @MeeOk

Yayyy

MeeOk on
  • emorimikuemorimiku Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    @emorimiku

although I read more tweets than I write

emorimiku on
    <emorimiku> j0z1e ... physically emotionally or mentally?
    <j0z1e> ummmm, all three? at once?
  • NeelixNeelix Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Twitter fucking MADE PAX for me last year, and I encourage everyone to get on it!

@cwknight in the house!

:-)

Neelix on
  • MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh yah. If people request to follow me I think I'm chilling at an internet cafe after work, because work = filtered = no adding people

MeeOk on
  • waffleboi9waffleboi9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    @keenahn

For those of you not on it, the PAX TS'ers have been awesome and twitter has proved to be an incredible way to keep in touch in the cold, dark, vacuums between PAXes.

waffleboi9 on
  • TipistTipist Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    @tipist

Yea, remember that twitter party I organized last year (with the help of some good friends)? We'll do that again, only better.

Tipist on
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    @DaveSchrader

And I'm getting a smart phone next week!!!

PeasantDave on
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    @nemaihne

What can I say? I'm uncreative. XD

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2009
    I should probably get one of these now that I have a phone with a real keyboard. It would be nice to twitter shit from the road on the way to PAX. Granted, outside of PAX and the CCST, I have no use for twitter, but it might be good for the week.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    @derekdistler

I just got an iPhone and I'm new to twitter. Please be gentle. :[

Atlus Parker on
  • johnhummeljohnhummel Registered User new member
    edited February 2009
    http://www.twitter.com/johnhummel

I believe I'm going to make PAX this year - but let's see what plane ticket prices do first.

johnhummel on
  • zombiebotzombiebot Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    @chelseabot

I can't say enough wonderful things about the Twitter Shitter crew, btw. They have become a crack-like addiction, and good friends. :D

zombiebot on
    Chelseabot, fell victim Quake III, aka "Girl Killer" in 2007.
  • sobjwsobjw Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    @sobjw

I imagine this could be pretty active during PAX.

sobjw on
    I live on a farm.
  • j0z1ej0z1e Shuffles the FailNinja Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    @j0z1e

I have almost all of you already from last year, yay! We definitely need another twitter shitter meetup, that was sooooo much fun. Ah, the memories... <3 you guys!!!

j0z1e on
    PAX East '12: Pass [X] Hotel [X] Plane [ ] Time Off [N/A yet]
    edited February 2009
    Tipist wrote: »
    Yea, remember that twitter party I organized last year (with the help of some good friends)? We'll do that again, only better.

haha, ah yes, that was a good party. Like so good.

zombiebot on
    edited February 2009
    zombiebot wrote: »

Hella good.
    2819577443_0d991ed504_b.jpg

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
    edited February 2009
    ukiyo e wrote: »
    zombiebot wrote: »

Hella good.
    2819577443_0d991ed504_b.jpg

Aww yeah, look at all that hotness.
    And the guy twittering in the back! ;)

zombiebot on
  • tehnakkitehnakki Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    @tehnakki

I'm a little scared to add everyone! I already get about 200 twitters a day from my friends, I'm worried the twitter shitters may kill my poor phone :)

tehnakki on
    Hufflepuff for lief, muthafuckers!

the 'teh' is silent: eljay ~ * ~ twitter ~ * ~ ravelry ~ * ~ last.fm
  • SpawnOfCthulhuSpawnOfCthulhu Also that Snifit guy. Gig Harbor, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    SpawnOfCthulhu on
    Wx8ay.png
  • JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Since I'm a year late...I'm not adding anyone...you'll just have to follow me, and then I'll return the favor

@JonnyNero

also, stay tuned for a super secret special twitter name for the PAX Prank as we get closer to PAX time...and no...it's not @PAXPrank (I don't even think that's an actual name)

JonnyNero on
  • That_Spoony_BardThat_Spoony_Bard Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That_Spoony_Bard on
  • Rogue_hunterRogue_hunter Breaks Through Brick Walls Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    @Rogue_hunter

Though, I never really updated all that much last year because I don't update from my phone, and couldn't get a reliable wifi connection for p-twit (PSP twitter app). Hopefully I'll have a netbook for this year.

Rogue_hunter on
    PlayStation Network: Rogue_hunter
    Steam: Rogue_hunter
    Games for Windows Live: Roguality
    Google+
    Twitter
  • thenicole84thenicole84 Registered User new member
    edited February 2009
    @thenicole84

Easy, i know. :P

thenicole84 on
  • CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    @cuzzapax here, this year i'm gonna use twitter more as last year I was a little limited by pre-paid data charges. Cost me about 10c a go to check twitter on my cell which sucked (I'm used to having 2Gb of data for $12 and never worrying about data charges) Will definitely need a Twitter Shitters meetup!

CuZZa on
  • RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    @loofmodnar

I added everyone above me who wasn't already on there. I never used twitter before PAX last year, now I'm an addict. This year I'm going to do things correctly and show up for the meetup (assuming there is one again this year).

Randomfool on
    I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • AzazelAzazel Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    @Azazel_PAX

Somehow ill have to finally go about putting Twitter on my phone.

Azazel on
  • kdnewtonkdnewton Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    kdnewton on
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    edited February 2009
    I updated the master list with all of the previously collected names from PAX '08, so check it out before you reply because you may already be on it.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • majin23xmajin23x Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I dunno why I'm not on the list... but here's me
    @stevenpaulr

majin23x on
    **Still Undefeated at Jenga!**
  • AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Slick list!

One favor - could you edit my twitter handle in the OP from @mattmontgomery to @matmontgomery? I only have one T in Mat. I've hidden the other "t".

For you to discover

AltDelete on
    edited February 2009
    AltDelete wrote: »
    Slick list!

One favor - could you edit my twitter handle in the OP from @mattmontgomery to @matmontgomery? I only have one T in Mat. I've hidden the other "t".

For you to discover

Updated to non-traditional spelling. Since I don't like leaving characters unemployed I've given him a job in this smiley T_T

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ukiyo e wrote: »
    Updated to non-traditional spelling. Since I don't like leaving characters unemployed I've given him a job in this smiley T_T

You sold out, hidden T.

AltDelete on
  • TwinkieTwinkie Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wooopwoop!

Twinkie here: Lead Vocalist and Chef in Command of the disbanded House of Gaming, Dicktochat Master, Booty Shaker, Classy Lady.

@Twink13

Twinkie on