As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] You are now saved to this [chat]

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Tach wrote: »
    I just do my stalking of them at ComiCon.

I'd love that baby murloc for my Hunter/Pet collecter, but #1- $20 is a bit too much for a pet, and #2- I suck at PvP, dunno if anyone would be willing to go 0-200 with me.

Tach if your alliance side and there isn't some kind of have to be from server my wife and I are looking for someone to go 0-200 with us.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I would have a hard time justifying going 0-5 for that murloc pet, because I loathe Arena so much. No way in fuck I could ever approach 200. The 20$ doesn't even bother me, just 200 games..ugh.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    EWom wrote: »
    I would have a hard time justifying going 0-5 for that murloc pet, because I loathe Arena so much. No way in fuck I could ever approach 200. The 20$ doesn't even bother me, just 200 games..ugh.

But its just an account thing, you dont even have to name it after the character you are playing for. You get to create a complete char just for the tournament.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RyokazeRyokaze Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Just treat it as a learning experience, you aren't getting a pet, you're learning how to make other people go all HULK SMASH on their keyboards in frustration.

Ryokaze on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ryokaze wrote: »

Just treat it as a learning experience, you aren't getting a pet, you're learning how to make other people go all HULK SMASH on their keyboards in frustration.

Play for the Draw, it worked for Data.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    Jason036 wrote: »
    So I'm in Seattle this weekend for the first time. I'm frantically searching for Gabe & Tyco now, omg it's a conspiracy!

If you want to find Mike he tends to shop at a fred meyers on bothel everett highway. That's all I'll say.

OMGS I've been there!

<3
    Screw Gabe and Tycho.. if you're visiting the Seattle area, Bungie or Valve are the dudes you want to look up.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I dunno jerry is an interesting guy to speak with the brief conversation I once had with him. I guess because he's kind of an analyst for gaming pop culture he brings up a lot of ideas.

Anyways wow style uhh Sons of Hodir are gold gouging bastards.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    How fun is healing? is it really just whack-a-mole?

Fuga on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    For the most part it is. It all depends on how you like to do that.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fuga wrote: »
    How fun is healing? is it really just whack-a-mole?

Imagine you're a little kid and your parents are going to take you to the fair. But when you get there all there is, is a hundred whack-a-mole machines in a couple of different variations repeated over and over again to get the hundred whack-a-moles. And throw in a dozen people yelling at you. And your parents abandon you there. And strangers are offering you white candy in their vans. And there are clowns everywhere.

That's healing.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Healing really isn't that bad.. it's just like tanking or dps, except when you mash hotkeys, different things happen.

I haven't done raid healing since last February so I can't comment how it is now, but most of the "skill" comes from anticipating damage and avoiding dumping a bunch of extra healing into a target that all the other healers are casting on. Mana conservation is important because when you run out, people die, and that tends to get you a lot of attention really fast.

xzzy on
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I used to raid as a priest, and I really loved it even after going through the same content as a rogue. It's not like you never see anything because your eyes are so glued to health bars.

I say used to because I quit after getting denied a raid slot every night because I didn't have a vagina.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dasnoobdasnoob ArkansasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    xzzy wrote: »
    Healing really isn't that bad.. it's just like tanking or dps, except when you mash hotkeys, different things happen.

I haven't done raid healing since last February so I can't comment how it is now, but most of the "skill" comes from anticipating damage and avoiding dumping a bunch of extra healing into a target that all the other healers are casting on. Mana conservation is important because when you run out, people die, and that tends to get you a lot of attention really fast.

This is the impression I get from our raid healers. They are also pretty happy. Once you are good enough to be in our main raid we shower you with items and tell you how much we love you. In fact our hunter will even strip to his underwear and do a dance for you...:winky:

dasnoob on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Iroh wrote: »
    I say used to because I quit after getting denied a raid slot every night because I didn't have a vagina.
    Well if you're not prepared to gear up I don't see why you should get taken to raids.

815165 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    815165 wrote: »
    Well if you're not prepared to gear up I don't see why you should get taken to raids.
    Unfortunately it's a costly upgrade, and the guild bank wasn't willing to pay for it.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    PTR character copies are up.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Cool, that means we'll be getting 3.1 sometime in 2009!

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    xzzy wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Cool, that means we'll be getting 3.1 sometime in 2009!

Magic 8-ball says: Yes.

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~ssanty/cgi-bin/eightball.cgi

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I used to raid as a priest, and I really loved it even after going through the same content as a rogue. It's not like you never see anything because your eyes are so glued to health bars.

There is nothing sadder than a woman whoring herself out for purps. I mean its demeaning to everyone involved especially seeing most of the waddle walkers who play wow. No offense.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2009

There is nothing sadder than a woman whoring herself out for purps. I mean its demeaning to everyone involved especially seeing most of the waddle walkers who play wow. No offense.
    Even if they don't, being the one dude among 7 or 8 priests (this was even in the 40 man days) caused me to lose out every time cuts had to be made.

Hell, I even got booted once to let a non-member female priest go get some epics.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    planetes42planetes42 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    To me, the hardest part about healing is it's tough to take some kind of individual satisfaction to success.

For dps -- the benefit is clear. There are nice little charts that say "hey, <x> did 3k dps and <y> did 1.5k -- time for <y> to step it up"

For tanks -- it's VERY clear -- there are 1-3 of them per raid. Health/mitigation/threat -- these are well defined issues and tanks just gotta stay alive and make sure the boss stays on them.

But for healers -- at the end of each fight it's tough to evaluate if you improved over the last week. Sure, your mana bar might be bigger, your mp5 might be faster, and your heals might hit for more, but it's tough to see how from week to week you utilize those things better. And, healing "meters" are silly to look at.

Every once in a while, healers are put "to the test" and there is some satisfaction when you pass that test. This week, for instance, we did naxx10 with only 2 healers for the first time and fully expected to fail and call it a night (only had 2 healers on). Instead, 3 wings later, everyone was patting the two healers on the back and, according to them, it was some of the most fun they'd had raiding in a while.

planetes42 on
  • Options
    dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    wow, is your guild run by 15 year olds or something? That's just... dunno, non-standard raid staffing procedures, it seems.

dojango on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Even if they don't, being the one dude among 7 or 8 priests (this was even in the 40 man days) caused me to lose out every time cuts had to be made.

Hell, I even got booted once to let a non-member female priest go get some epics.

All the better to leave a guild full of such rampant idiocy.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The best metric I ever came up with was how little over-heal I could produce without causing any deaths.

I'll grant you that it's more complex to quantify how awesome you are, but you should have no problem gaining personal satisfaction, unless it all depends on bragging rights.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    eh, the overheal metric as a measure of healing success isn't nearly as important as it once was. Thanks to the end of downranking and the importance of +crit in the healy arsenal, overheal no longer really is a measure of "bad healing".

dojango on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Iroh: It's a good metric probably, but kind of impractical in a raid environment. Some classes don't overheal as much as others (druids v. shamans, for instance). Some better be overhealing to keep the tank alive since they can't anticipate spiky damage (paladins).

It takes a 'special' mentality to want to heal. One that I appreciate very much when I run across it.

planetes42 on
  • Options
    MetacortexMetacortex The Prettiest Zombie Coeur d'CoeursRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    When you're healing, it helps if you can find little things to do that you can take pride in, even if no one else will notice.

For example, if I'm healing the Stalagg side of Thaddius, I like to chuck a Prayer of Mending on the tank right before he gets punted over so that it will help heal the AoE damage on the other side.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Overheal doesn't really matter to me as long as the raid survives comfortably. I mean honestly some mana got wasted big deal.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I've noticed the vast majority of women in MMOs tend to play healing classes and like it. I wonder what that means.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Back in the dark ages we had something like nine priests in MC. I can't remember a single one of them being a girl IRL. Maybe I'm forgetting someone but yeah. There's the classic "girls roll healers" stereotype but traditionally we've had more male than female healers in our raids, and that is not to say that we didn't have a lot of females... It's just that they were tanks and warlocks and mages.

Re: healing. I find my personal satisfaction in not having to deal with the seething anger of my warlock days over being put in the tank group while the mages got a shadow priest and shaman, or having to be on Hydross add banishing duty while another warlock always shirked it. And my value to the raid not being measured by a number on WWS that is influenced more by such factors than by actual dedication or skill. As a healer, if I don't die, and my assignments don't die, I win. It used to be amusing to see how overpowered spammable CoH was on the healing meters, but I never took that to indicate SKILL, just as now I don't think the shamans are suddenly better healers than me because I don't destroy them on the meters the same way anymore. Plus there is a healer camaraderie that I enjoy. See also: priest thread title on this forum.

riz on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    dojango wrote: »
    eh, the overheal metric as a measure of healing success isn't nearly as important as it once was. Thanks to the end of downranking and the importance of +crit in the healy arsenal, overheal no longer really is a measure of "bad healing".
    Yeah, for sure.

It's just the best thing you can do to try and challenge your efficiency, really. Other than maintaining mana.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    bowen wrote: »
    I've noticed the vast majority of women in MMOs tend to play healing classes and like it. I wonder what that means.

Everytime I try and sway my wife from playing a healer, she does it anyway. It's what she likes.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Every time someone says that, a few of us pop up with counterexamples of guys who always heal and girls who DPS and tank. It's a stupid stereotype.

riz on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I know, I'm not saying there aren't exceptions it's that everytime I speak to a girl who plays this game it's "I love healing, but I'm playing XYZ now". My girlfriend, for example, absolutely motherfucking loves healing.

To the point of having 4 healers. On one server.

Just an observation.

bowen on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    In my small guild, one woman plays a priest, the other plays a deathknight.

I guess I find the stereotype 50% true.

desc on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    but really -- just because there are counter examples to the stereotype doesn't completely void the stereotype. It just means that, as in every other case, there are exceptions to the rule.

My fiancee, for one, LOVES to play a healer. She takes great pride in keeping me alive [and I go to great lengths to pull as many mobs as I possibly can].

I'm not saying all females play healers. But, I bet the spectrum of female players in WoW is disproportionately in the healing classes, with ranged caster (mage/lock especially) 2nd and melee classes (incl tanks) a distant 3rd.

One of my favorite tanks in TBC was a female pally, so I am in no way shape or form saying that females are "better" or "worse" at any role that I've mentioned or shouldn't tank -- only that very few of them choose to do so.

planetes42 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    One of my best rivals in the game is another paladin tank who gives me a run for my money. If I wasn't better geared she'd probably do better.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    bowen wrote: »

I used to run with a lot more female DPS then healers.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    planetes42 wrote: »
    but really -- just because there are counter examples to the stereotype doesn't completely void the stereotype. It just means that, as in every other case, there are exceptions to the rule.

But is it a rule if these "exceptions" are more common than people seem to think? Or is it a baseless stereotype that people hear and perpetuate but is untrue in everyday example? I've been in my guild for like four years and seen a lot of people come and go. I have never seen a pattern to justify the stereotype being called a rule.

riz on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I think where the stereotype comes from is couples, couples tend to play tank and healers, either party if only because its the start of any group in an mmo.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.