As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MoO3 Mods + More

DeswaDeswa Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
I know it is a horrible game in comparison to MoO2(so don't mention it), but I do not have that. Since I get a hankering to play this game every so often I am in need of a few mods. Are there any good mods that improve gameplay or look?

gobassgo wrote:
"It ain't rape, it's surprise sex!"
wii : 3788 3264 2419 8070
Deswa on

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    MoO2...?

MoO3 died horribly. I don't remember much of a mod community. Good luck to you, though.

[spoiler:edd0557059]Get MoO2.

Really. You should.[/spoiler:edd0557059]

MechMantis on
  • Options
    Captain_BrianCaptain_Brian Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    God, I remember frantically downloading (And even creating) mods for this game to try and salvage it but I could never find anything.

I'd say honestly go to the MOO3 mod forums on the Atari forums website, there are tons of stickied mods and threads there from what I remember and you should be able to find some good ones... I can't remember any off-hand that improved the game enough to be woth the trouble of downloading them... :(

Captain_Brian on
    Captain_Brian-ashsig.jpg
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I wasn't aware that enough people liked the game to actually do anything with it.

In other news, your microwave is very good at modding MoO3.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I remember playing MoO3, and being mystified at the long, long list of modifiers.

I suppose Atari would have some on their forums, but I can't remember finding any that improved the gameplay to any significant degree (and I've looked). if you have the cash, take a look at Galciv2...

Doronron on
  • Options
    xeroismygodxeroismygod Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I actually liked playing moo3 vanilla until I discovered Imperium Galactica II and Galactic Civ2. Moo3 was such a headache with all the micro management.

As for mods I don't know of anything that recaptured the magic of Moo2.

xeroismygod on
  • Options
    etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Doronron wrote:
    I remember playing MoO3, and being mystified at the long, long list of modifiers.

I suppose Atari would have some on their forums, but I can't remember finding any that improved the gameplay to any significant degree (and I've looked). if you have the cash, take a look at Galciv2...

The truth.

etoychest on
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sword of the stars is a pretty good entry into the genre too, plus you can pick it up budget now.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Norgoth wrote:
    Sword of the stars is a pretty good entry into the genre too, plus you can pick it up budget now.

Tycho and I tried to play SotS a couple times, and while enjoyable, it always felt a bit flat. I don't think we ever finished a game.

CDV has another game along the 4X route coming out titled Sins of a Solar Empire which looks kinda nifty.

etoychest on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Sins does sound neat. It's supposed to have Homeworld combat with 4X empire building, right?

Doronron on
  • Options
    shutzshutz Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I used to work for Strategy First, who published Galactic Civilizations. The funny thing was, we were using the same distributor as MoO3, Atari/Infogrames, so we got them to put a little paper flyer in the MoO3 box advertising GalCiv. Turns out GalCiv won Strategy Game of the Year in a lot of places, while MoO3 died the horrible death that others here are talking about.

GalCiv is as addictive as MoO2, with the added bonus of being a lot funnier. GalCiv 2 added most of the features that the fans were asking for, such as a ship creation module, 3D graphics, the possibility to play as any of the races, and a challenging campaign mode.

GalCiv 2 also has so many options for you to play around with that you might not even need to mod it, but there are also some cool mods you can try.

Plus, GalCiv 2 is cheaper than many other PC games.

Sorry if this doesn't answer your original question, but I felt I had to point you towards one of the best 4X games I've ever played.

shutz on
    Creativity begets criticism.
    Check out my new blog: http://50wordstories.ca
    Also check out my old game design blog: http://stealmygamedesigns.blogspot.com
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Whilst I love GalCiv2. The whole "funny" aspect of it didnt really do it for me. When im warmongering I want a more serious atmosphere.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    One of the more entertaining mods for Galciv2 available replaces the factions, techs, hulls, and media with Babylon 5 material.

Waiting for the Expansion Pack to be released, though.

Doronron on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Norgoth wrote:
    Whilst I love GalCiv2. The whole "funny" aspect of it didnt really do it for me. When im warmongering I want a more serious atmosphere.

See, I'm more the opposite. I love GalCiv's StarCon-style atmosphere.

etoychest on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Galciv2 was ok, but it doesn't even come close to Moo2. Especially in art direction. While Moo2 doesn't have the 3d it still looks better and plays a hell of a lot better than any other 4x game I've played.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Galciv2 was ok, but it doesn't even come close to Moo2. Especially in art direction. While Moo2 doesn't have the 3d it still looks better and plays a hell of a lot better than any other 4x game I've played.

It doesn't matter if the OP can't find a copy of MoO2 while Galciv2 is readily available for download from the company's website.

Doronron on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Hmmm, since there seems to be no aide in mods, does GalCiv2 provide plenty of customization on ships and micromanagement?

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Deswa wrote:
    Hmmm, since there seems to be no aide in mods, does GalCiv2 provide plenty of customization on ships and micromanagement?

Ship customization is EXTREMELY robust, however combat is not tactical like MOO. As for micromanagement, I found GalCiv2 to be extremely micromanagement-heavy, but that's because I play a very starbase-focused game. (Starbase management is very poor.)

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Hmmmm, I think I'll have to stick with MoO3 till I have the cash to buy GalCiv2. There wouldnt happen to be a demo out for it, would there?

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
  • Options
    DigitoDigito Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    http://www.galciv2.com/Downloads.aspx

Yup, the demo is right on this page, although I'll admit I haven't tried the demo myself.

Digito on
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    People keep talking about other games even though this is a Master of Orion 3 thread. If the other games mentioned were all Ascendancy all would be forgiven.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I gave MOO3 a second chance a while back, tried to find some mods to improve it, tried everything to make it good. I failed, there is no way I know that you can make MOO3 good.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Deswa wrote:

This is one of my ship designs:

hblfront1qj.jpg

and another:

hdh1wi.jpg

Doronron on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Deswa wrote:
    I know it is a horrible game in comparison to MoO2(so don't mention it), but I do not have that. Since I get a hankering to play this game every so often I am in need of a few mods. Are there any good mods that improve gameplay or look?

Yes, there's quite a few gameplay fixing mods. You might even call it an unofficial patch, since he does edit the EXE.

He still can't fix those fucking PD weapons though, which do not fire unless you auto-resolve weapons. (Hint: Missles are god.)

This is a good website to start at:
    http://www.moo3.at/

KiTA on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    gc2-t1-2.jpg
    gc2-s2-2.jpg

I ended up with giant anime robots being my vehicles of choice in GalCiv2.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    KiTA wrote:
    Deswa wrote:

Yes, there's quite a few gameplay fixing mods. You might even call it an unofficial patch, since he does edit the EXE.

He still can't fix those fucking PD weapons though, which do not fire unless you auto-resolve weapons. (Hint: Missles are god.)

This is a good website to start at:

Thanks so much, I've been looking for that site for a while. I grabbed a few mods from there a while ago but deleted them a while back for some reason.

Speaking of missles, one of my tactics was to spawn super cheap ships that lobbed off four missles for three volleys. God that was cheap and awesome.

I'll hopefully be able to get GalCiv2 some time in the near future, damn that looks awesome.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
  • Options
    LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hm, was thinking about making a thread about MOO3, but this will do. Now, MOO2 was one of my favourite games of all times. I don't know how many hours I sunk into that game. When MOO3 was announced, I was exstatic. I followed the development process closely, and the game sounded awesome... so much depth. Then there was trouble. The lead designer left, there was a lot of drama and so on. The game came out, and the reactions from the fans were negative, to say the least. I had been waiting to buy the game, but due to the things I read about it, I tried it out first.

It was not something I could get into. Nothing of the soul of the previous games was there. I had no idea what I did, and the complexity scared me of. I never bought the game. Several years passed....

Last week, I found the game for next to nothing at all at an online store. I figured, what the hell, I'm gonna order it and give it one more try. Over the years I've kept on returning the boards at atari, mainly for the awesome fan-fiction and to see how the modding efforts have progressed, and some of the mods sounded interesting.

Anyway, I installed the game and a few patches: Tropical Mod and the high resolution mod that ups the resolution to 1024*768. Started a new game with a blank mind and.... I'm actually enjoying it! With the mods, it is a whole new game. Granted, it takes a different mindset from the earlier games. YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO MICRO! Also, it is a very complex game.

I just wanted to say that if you have the game, give it another chance. There has been a lot of hate for it, much of it deserved, but with the mods it is definitively enjoyable.

To KITA: So, the PD bug is still not fixed? I thought it was... oh well.

Some links:

The mods can be found here, as KITA said:

This is the official MOO3 board, still some activity here and a very friendly board:
    http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=224

And finally, the awesome fan-fic I was talking about. Unfortunately, it has not been updated for a year and a half and the author seems to be missing in action, possibly due to some hurricane as he was living in Florida. Well worth a read if you are a fan. Very long and of better quality than many published Sci-Fi works:
    http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290490

Lodbrok on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Doronron wrote: »
    Sins does sound neat. It's supposed to have Homeworld combat with 4X empire building, right?

One of the teams that worked on Homeworld is making Sins of the Solar Empire. It's a 4X game, but it's closer in play to Hegemonia. Hegemonia had you conquer and colonize planets on a solar system/multiple solar system (through wormholes) scale. It lacked diplomacy, however, but it was still a great game. Sins is similar but it's on a GALAXY scale and includes diplomacy. You can conquer and colonize planets with up to ten players online, but you can also gain planets via borders just like in Galactic Civilization II.

It also looks absolutely gorgeous. I can't wait for this one.
    http://www.sinsofasolarempire.com/Screenshots/sinsfeature4_1280.jpg

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    ChenjesuChenjesu Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Lodbrok wrote: »
    Anyway, I installed the game and a few patches: Tropical Mod and the high resolution mod that ups the resolution to 1024*768. Started a new game with a blank mind and.... I'm actually enjoying it! With the mods, it is a whole new game. Granted, it takes a different mindset from the earlier games. YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO MICRO! Also, it is a very complex game.

This is the fundamental issue with MoO3. They tried to make it so that you didn't have to micromanage at all. You set broad plans for economy and production, you can designate worlds to specialize in particular fields, and just worry about moving fleets of chips around. Turns should pass by very fast.

The problem is that until you spend hours and hours with the game and know what works, you HAVE to micromanage all the queues to make sure that the general plans that you set are making the production units build the things you want. Plus there was a bug that made them build thousands of transports for no reason, and it was almost impossible to get them to build large ships.

It was an interesting idea that did not hold up in execution.

Chenjesu on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Soo, these games look interesting to me.

MoO2 > GalCiv2 > MoO3?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Chenjusu: I'm well aware of this. By reading about the different mods, I have the impression that much of the problems that plagued the game before has actually been fixed. Maybe I'm wrong in thinking this? I just think that when I go in and check the production on my planets, the viceroy (AI) seem to be doing a pretty good job. Granted, I've not spent much time with the game yet, but the AI really seems quite ok. I know that the state Quicksilver left the game in was abysmal, but the fans really seem to have fixed most of the problems. For example, the troop transport bug was fixed long ago if I remember correctly. Another problem with the game was that the manual was a joke, for a game this complex it did not give the information needed. But once again, the fans have salvaged to game in my opinion.

I have tried GalCiv 2, but it did not appeal to me. To much like Civ in space, and for me it did not feel like a space game at all. It just seems to lack that epic feeling somehow...

Maybe it is nostalgia, but I would put Moo2 above Galciv 2... not sure about Moo3 yet, but it is not the complete failure (after modding) that many seem to believe.

Lodbrok on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm just curious, since the screens people are putting up from GalCiv2 seem bitchin'.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Galactic Civilization 2 is one of my favorite 4X games. However, the complaint with it seems to be it always plays out the same. I'm confident Sins of the Solar Empire will dethrone GC2 for me, however. I can't wait to take that one online and engage in galaxy wide conflict with nine other players.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    GalCiv2 also is rather bland. And sometimes I found the humor more obnoxious than entertaining, especially when it came to tech descriptions.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Mister_PibblesMister_Pibbles Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    GalCiv2 is still fun every once in a while, but I've gotten kind of tired of it. Even modding the AI files to make the computer tons tougher doesn't bring much back to it - though I do still have to try out the expansion, and see what that breathes into it. As for the designs, there's lots of fun to be had with the ship builder, but I wish the changes actually meant something other than aesthetics.

I got into SotS when it first launched, and have been sticking with it - the multiplayer makes it very worthwhile. Most of my friends who I've tried to get into it have either loved it, or abjectly hated it. The patches have added some good content to it, and there's an expansion coming out in April, so that's good stuff. It's one of the few games I've been playing consistently for the past few months, and it's only gotten better since release.

Sins of a Solar Empire looks ambitious, and I'll definitely want to check it out. The prospect of controlling a whole space-empire in real time has the multitasker in me twitching with anticipation.

Mister_Pibbles on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I gave MOO3 a second chance a while back, tried to find some mods to improve it, tried everything to make it good. I failed, there is no way I know that you can make MOO3 good.
    The mods out for MoO3 do help to balance the gameplay some, even though missiles and fighters are still overpowered. It even boosts governors to the point where some of the micromanagement needs are eased. But at the end of the day, the cardinal problem with MoO3 is that the UI is fucking horrible and it takes many many clicks to do even very basic things, and the patches don't address this.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png