As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Darkfall] It's alive and kicking and burning down your town

13»

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Angry wrote: »
    yeah man, who cares about things like a good engine or fluidity of animation or combat that is more then just hacking at a guy for 1.5 seconds.

What game is this? I keep hearing about MMOs are just click and wait for someone to die fests, particularly about wow, but I can't help but think that people saying this have never actually played the game past level 2.... and they were playing a paladin. I kept hearing this in AOC and was befuddled because, having come from a decently rated arena team, I was trying to figure out what spec/gear combo I could get where tapping one button repeatedly would get me wins.

Sorry, I'll take wow's combat system over any other MMO ever release thank you, it's responsive and reliable. WAR is probably #2 in this regard imo

If you want old school PVP go grab a Ultima Online client and fire up ABC private server. The GMs are courteous, the community is mostly helpful, and it has real old school pvp. After a few days you will be maxed if you plop down $20 for gold (pretend it's the box price) and ready to hop in duels, open world ganking, looting other players etc.
    korodullin wrote: »
    No other dev team has openly stated they drew inspiration mainly from UO.

That's... well... not true at all. [citation needed], I know, but I know several devs have drawn inspiration from old UO, Shadowbane the main one of the bunch.

In fact, if I remember correctly, Shadowbane was billed as a successor to UO.

No you're absolutely right. Shadowbane, SWG, and AoC have all stated at some point or another that UO was a source of inspiration. Why worry about that though, you could be playing old school uo with open pvp right now. Follow above instructions, tell me if it's as good as you remember it being (hint: it's not).
    The sheep will all be playing WoW, so Darkfall will be left to the Wolves.

To paraphrase Fontaine from bioshock.

"Everyone who came down here was a bigshot where they came from, they all expected to be captains of industry or great scientists down here, problem is no one figured that someone would have to scrub the toilets."

override367 on
  • Options
    RabidTreeMonkeyRabidTreeMonkey Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Obviously till we see a game that the public can actually play, the status of this game will continue to be vaporware. Aventurine has released some new screenshots tho. Spoilered all 'cept one for a quickie peek.
    darkfall_01.jpg
    darkfall_02.jpg
    darkfall_03.jpg
    darkfall_04.jpgdarkfall_05.jpg

I think the people who say the game looks like crap have unrealistic expectationsd considering the idea is to have a game that can allow for (their claim) 200+ players onscreen simultaneously w/o too much graphical slowdown. Heck, look at Warhammer's visuals, vid cards can only render so much, not to mention the RAM/CPU/bandwidth requirements. But this latest batch of screenies is more confounding than anything. Sure they look nicer than the videos we've seen, but there is NO way they can release a game that looks like this in the next year or maybe even two and think players will be able to engage in mass warfare w/ decent framerates.

So this all ends up being a "look, our game can be pretty, too" statement. Has anyone here registered for the Beta on their website? And if so anyone gotten any sort of reply? I thought Aventurine's claim of releasing a game this year was BS, but was hoping they'd get a beta going so we might have hope of seeing Darkfall sometime in 2009.

Edit- spoilering all pics now.

RabidTreeMonkey on
  • Options
    MatsuhitoMatsuhito Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I registered for the beta, but still haven't gotten a reply. Those dumb jerks don't know who they're messing with.

Matsuhito on
  • Options
    GalielmusGalielmus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That looks like crap according to people? idjits...

Anyway, I registered for beta a long time ago but they base their beta handouts on forum participation and I just can't bring myself to post there... there isn't a game yet, and so it doesn't seem like much to discuss (all I know is gleaned from website/forums, so I don't have anything to add that hasn't been said 9000 times).

Galielmus on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Nobody said that vaporware can't be pretty.

And being pretty in no way makes it any less vaporware.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    TokledTokled Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Galielmus wrote: »
    That looks like crap according to people? idjits...

Anyway, I registered for beta a long time ago but they base their beta handouts on forum participation and I just can't bring myself to post there... there isn't a game yet, and so it doesn't seem like much to discuss (all I know is gleaned from website/forums, so I don't have anything to add that hasn't been said 9000 times).

Don't even get me started on the forums they have over there. I used to post there a lot 4-5 years ago when there was actually interesting discussion going on and you really got the feeling the developers listened and took into consideration ideas from the community (something I've never experienced elsewhere). Now however I only go there to see if devs have posted anything in the announcements section. The general discussion area has pretty much become a cesspool that I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot poll, which is a shame since I'm sure that will put me out of consideration for beta.
    Forar wrote:
    Nobody said that vaporware can't be pretty.

And being pretty in no way makes it any less vaporware.

I'd say the time for the validity of the vaporware argument has passed. They have a European publisher, it will be released there at least, and more than likely in North America as well.

Tokled on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ColtColt .45 ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Vellyr wrote: »
    Ever played an FPS?

This is a very old responce but I need to say it anyway...

In an FPS, everyone has the same HP, and can get the same amount of armor. Everyone in Counter Strike has 100 hp and can buy 100 armor. Regardless of seeing HP, you know how much they have.

In Darkfall, you run up to a guy with no knowledge of HP, skills, power, or ability. Come again? Why would I play a game where I can't assess the risk/reward factor?

Colt on
    steam.pngxbl.pngpsn.png
  • Options
    RabidTreeMonkeyRabidTreeMonkey Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Colt, there are very popular fps games where not all players have the same HP, nor even the same abilities. You can also play in games/modes where players do not have health bars or nametags displayed. Example? How about the most popular FPS being played for the past year, Call of Duty 4?

Play Call of Duty 4, and run into a guy packing the Juggernaut perk (extra health). This drives a LOT of people crazy, and they bitch and moan about how cheap it is... along with every other perk. Now personally, I don't run any of the perks people tend to call cheap (I ran UAV jammer and Dead Silence 99% of the time when used to play), but when I ran into someone packing the Juggernaut perk, sure I noticed they had extra health, but as you get better at the game, it makes almost no difference. Only the less skilled players or crybabies (who always find something to whine about) complain. Good players learn and adapt. Then when/if you get bored playing "regular" CoD, you move on to hardcore mode and see yet again, the Juggernaut guys can take more damage. 1-2 bullets more to be precise. Now even though on hardcore mode everyone takes far less damage before dying versus regular mode, people still manage to complain about the same perks. So what? Yet again, skill and the countering of his build/perks with your own selection of perks will make this a non-issue. There are other perks in CoD that drive people just as crazy as Juggernaut. I did a quick google and this is the first vid that popped up, yet it's so appropriate, dig the link-

LOL! Yeah.. Juggernaut, Last Stand, Martyrdom etc. So funny to hear people moan about that stuff. Despite the tons of people complaining about this this or that, NONE of it has stopped CoD4 from being the most popular/played FPS game over the past year. I'm far from the best CoD player, but I'm good enough (or rather I was when I still played) that it never mattered to me what my opponents were running. Hopefully IF Darkfall ever releases, it'll have some of the same elements; skill and teamwork ftw.

Tokled wrote: »
    Don't even get me started on the forums they have over there. I used to post there a lot 4-5 years ago when there was actually interesting discussion going on and you really got the feeling the developers listened and took into consideration ideas from the community (something I've never experienced elsewhere). Now however I only go there to see if devs have posted anything in the announcements section. The general discussion area has pretty much become a cesspool that I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot poll, which is a shame since I'm sure that will put me out of consideration for beta.

Handing out beta keys only to the most ardent forum fanbois? How fucking obsessed do we have to be for Aventurine to grant us this almighty favor? The beta was first announced 2 years ago! o_O

RabidTreeMonkey on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    There was an announcement re. Beta where they said you won't be emailed anything, if you complete the process and get the 'Thanks' screen, then you've applied.

Also, Forum participation (although "taken into consideration") is not necessary to get a Beta spot -- there is still an element of randomness to who gets selected.

And Tokled... I completely agree re. the Forums. They are now horrible.

I'm keeping an eye on this game with an open mind.

Grenn on
  • Options
    Darius BlackDarius Black Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    delroland wrote: »
    I always wanted to see a permadeath MMO with generational respawning.

And here I thought I was the only one. That would be kick-ass.

Also, wicked screens.

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    Not a trace of what went left
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008

I was thinking about that myself.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    mrhoohexmrhoohex Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    so the game is out in 5 days, has anyone pre ordered? or still in beta?

mrhoohex on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Generational spawning?

Is that like making babies or what?

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Crashmo wrote: »

Generational spawning?

Is that like making babies or what?

It means you'll be your own great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandson by the end of the first day.

Garthor on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    10 generations in 10 minutes.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    10 generations in 10 minutes.

I hope this world loves stretch marks.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wasn't that the premise of that Ten^Six game, like 10 years ago or something?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
This discussion has been closed.