As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

420 smoke [DOODLE] erryday

• Options
    robeastkillarobeastkilla Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Nice figure study! I like the pose and lighting.

robeastkilla on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    asamof: really nice!
    it looks like a young, kinda chubby rainn
    tam is right, if you just sort of slim him down a little, it'll look just like him
    but it's still a nice portrait!
    when my portraits don't look as i intended i just say they're a random person hahahah.

(i'm an awful cheater, don't listen to me)

beavotron on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    beavotron wrote: »
    asamof: really nice!
    it looks like a young, kinda chubby rainn
    tam is right, if you just sort of slim him down a little, it'll look just like him
    but it's still a nice portrait!
    when my portraits don't look as i intended i just say they're a random person hahahah.

(i'm an awful cheater, don't listen to me)

the only time I can even draw real people is on accident.

Like this one time someone came up behind me while I was scribbling away on my tablet, and goes "Hey is that Jorja Fox?"

"What? No, it's just....oh god dammit."

Tam on
  • Options
    MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    yeah I saw that picture and its like right away...bam! exactly what I was looking for, but so damn conflicted because now its like....shit can't do it ne more can I. He got the perspective, expression, omg and the hair was so fucking awsome. I figure I put something down similar just to get a base down and change it up big time later on because right now looks way too like trace like. that was a bad call on my part.

In fact really bad part. wtf was i thinking. ne ways, thanks for keeping on top my shit....seriously, internet can be a temptation from hell sometimes.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    AstoriteAstorite Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh dang.

20090220sketches001.gif

Astorite on
    Uh.
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    amerrevo.jpg

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    BetelgeuseBetelgeuse Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Michael, you rock the fucking house!

PS- GO AMERICAN REVOLUTION! WE WIN BABY

Betelgeuse on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mykonos wrote: »
    yeah I saw that picture and its like right away...bam! exactly what I was looking for, but so damn conflicted because now its like....shit can't do it ne more can I. He got the perspective, expression, omg and the hair was so fucking awsome. I figure I put something down similar just to get a base down and change it up big time later on because right now looks way too like trace like. that was a bad call on my part.

In fact really bad part. wtf was i thinking. ne ways, thanks for keeping on top my shit....seriously, internet can be a temptation from hell sometimes.

Thats the problem with the internet. You see so many good ideas, and unknowingly sometimes, you almost directly copy them, even if the intention was to make it your own. That's why i've forced myself to sit down, no distractions (computer/internet) and sketch small thumbnails on paper in black markers. Then i scan them into the computer and enlarge them and paint over them. That way you have a solid idea, which is your own, before you look into research of techniques or references. I think it's fair to assume we have all copied another technique/picture before. the main thing is, not to do it for professional work.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Thats the problem with the internet. You see so many good ideas, and unknowingly sometimes, you almost directly copy them, even if the intention was to make it your own. That's why i've forced myself to sit down, no distractions (computer/internet) and sketch small thumbnails on paper in black markers. Then i scan them into the computer and enlarge them and paint over them. That way you have a solid idea, which is your own, before you look into research of techniques or references. I think it's fair to assume we have all copied another technique/picture before. the main thing is, not to do it for professional work.

That's a good Idea with regards to how you sketch out thumbnails. I remember I had to go this ceminar for my business ethics class, and the speaker was a writer for newsweek who described how he almost got sued by unknowingly rewriting almost a full paragraph verbatim in an article from material already out there. Still, I should've kept better watch on this on my part...or atleast not be so eager to post early wips at 4 am....

here's an update. currently in that real 'messy' stage. liking the empasto effects so far...think I might run with those

Untitled-1e03-3.jpg

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    amerrevo.jpg

:^::^::^:Man, cant believe i missed this. Musnt have loaded. I'd like to see more!

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Much better, Mykonos. I mean, even for reference photographs - I've seen the *exact pictures* people have used for their artwork before...and it's always blatantly obvious because the references are so easy to come across. I think that the guy's face you "drew from" is pretty widespread, and all of his portraits are pretty memorable. Just try to change it up more if you're drawing inspiration for somewhere. I mean, you can use the same *technique* to achieve the same look, but with a different face...and maybe different colors. :P

This update doesn't remind me of the face anymore though...and I think it fits in a bit more with your piece.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Michael that is fantastic! I never see too much of your stuff. MAEK MOAR K THX

NightDragon on
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    b.gif

F87 on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That hunter is great.

TheBog on
  • Options
    FabricateFabricate __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    I might be illustrating a novel for a writer friend (every plan we ever make never actually comes to pass)
    but he gave me some quick sketches and a script for the first page so I re-did them in ps.

Chapter 1 start page:
    ch1titlecover.th.jpg
    and the very, very wordy first page
    panel1.th.jpg

Fabricate on
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ro-bro.jpg

look at me sketchin' and doodlin' on a tablet

woah

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fabricate wrote: »
    I might be illustrating a novel for a writer friend (every plan we ever make never actually comes to pass)
    but he gave me some quick sketches and a script for the first page so I re-did them in ps.

Chapter 1 start page:
    ch1titlecover.th.jpg
    panel1.th.jpg

... grey and drepressing?

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Hey fellas, gave my latest painting about a week break. got back into it this afternoon. I think its coming along ok. Links face is structurally wrong, and is gonna need a coat of paint.
    Just incase anyone forgot the last few progresses...

link4.jpg

link5.jpg

60.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    FabricateFabricate __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    RubberAC wrote: »
    Fabricate wrote: »

Chapter 1 start page:
    ch1titlecover.th.jpg
    panel1.th.jpg

... grey and drepressing?

I ain't the writer dawg :\

e; Though it may be because the entire thing is going to be in greyscale.

Fabricate on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    15wknie.jpg

Tam on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Trippy.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    hey wck, its coming out pretty good, colors are looking nice and crisp. Are you using reference though for link? First thing that pops up in my head is the chin is too big, eyes are rather squinty, and the forehead is protruding outward a bit too much. Also you may wanna take care to watch your lighting, the bright green shouldn't be as striking in that night setting, and some more subtle highlights from the fairy would be need as well I would think.

Gl with it, glad to see your still stickin it out.

update. Not done yet, still have lots of refining to do.

Untitled-1e03_0013-1.jpg

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    XALXAL Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    15wknie.jpg

reminds me of that fashion designer from the incredibles. but younger.

XAL on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    NO CAPES!

NotASenator on
  • Options
    XALXAL Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    hahaha indeed
    You don't want to end up like Dollar Bill!
    dollar_bill_dead.jpg

XAL on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Man, I haven't posted in AC in probably a year.

Concept-Ray4.png

My people always end up so fucking lanky.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That guy needs texture. He doesn't even have a beard!

That's just absurd.

MKR on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    WIP for CHOW at ConceptArt.org.

Detective Brownstone, P.I...of the paranormal!

Might put a ghost in the bg or something :P

Brownstone.jpg

DeeLock on
  • Options
    the_monarch23the_monarch23 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Zombinecopy.jpg

Been re-playing alot of Half Life 2 recently, and I have a good laugh everytime I see a zombine coming at me lofting a grenade like a goddam olympic flame. Just thought I'd share my thoughts on the situation. :)

the_monarch23 on
    "Gott in himmel! Fritz, vee haff named our car after ein lady-garten."
    ~Jeremy Clarkson
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    MKR wrote: »
    That guy needs texture. He doesn't even have a beard!

That's just absurd.

I assume you mean the design (though yes, he also lacks lighting/material). I'm trying to figure out how to make him more distinctive without looking like he belongs in Wild ARMS.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    SuzySuzy Registered User new member
    edited February 2009
    cometeye2.jpg

Doodling > listening to people talk about the lovely little cottage they visited in Somerset

Suzy on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    There must've been an awful lot to say about the lovely little cottage they visited in Somerset.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    There must've been an awful lot to say about the lovely little cottage they visited in Somerset.

Get off my land!!

Tam on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    We was just camp'n mister, we didn't mean noth'n by it, honest.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    DeeLock wrote: »
    WIP for CHOW at ConceptArt.org.

Detective Brownstone, P.I...of the paranormal!

Might put a ghost in the bg or something :P

Brownstone.jpg

hey deelock hows painter workin out for u? I remember seeing u in the painter forums at CA.org

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

That's a good Idea with regards to how you sketch out thumbnails. I remember I had to go this ceminar for my business ethics class, and the speaker was a writer for newsweek who described how he almost got sued by unknowingly rewriting almost a full paragraph verbatim in an article from material already out there. Still, I should've kept better watch on this on my part...or atleast not be so eager to post early wips at 4 am....

here's an update. currently in that real 'messy' stage. liking the empasto effects so far...think I might run with those

Untitled-1e03-3.jpg

Man Myk, I don't know what you did here but I prefer this over the final product.

It's just so damn powerful.

Godfather on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ok this is my first time posting here I mostly do photography but recently I've been a little more serious about drawing/doodling. My gf just got me a set of micron pens and a brush pen so I've been messing with those.
    I will admit I suck suck suck suck. So please be as harsh and honest with the critiques as possible:

I cloned out some stuff that was utter crap. We have a banana getting shot / dead, a hand stopping some energy-ma-thingie, and me trying to draw bunnies with different pen sizes
    doodle1.jpg

Yes that says "vampire on a boat". I was watching the Andy Samberg I'm on a boat music video wayyyy too much. Also I fail at drawing bananas because these look more like corn.
    doodle3.jpg

doodle2.jpg

happy house!
    doodle4.jpg

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    thats funny I actually agree with you WCK. I think it has to do with the composition changing up that resulted in him appearing smaller and more static vice a pissed off bull charging u with a 12 guage. Currently reworking it now to give that extra umph.

another thing too I've noticed is that I've dwindled away the triangle or pyramid shape composition structure I had, leaving the result less pleasing I suppose.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I like the image a lot, Myk.

Sometimes it is more entertaining to paint first, and then draw a picture.

flowerbird.jpg

lyrium on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Lyrium: I like it!

Myk: Ya, I'm glad they have that little part of the forums devoted to Painter because it's a pretty complicated program. I like it though. It's got some awesome stuff going for it.

PS: i like the updated painting, looks like it's going in a good direction.

Little update:

Brownstone-1.jpg

DeeLock on
This discussion has been closed.