As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hotels are Live!

Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
edited April 2007 in PAX Archive
Some guy.
Robert Khoo on

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2007
    No suite rates :(
    Also, I know it's downtown Seattle, but yowza. Did you guys try for that Holiday Inn on 6th Ave, They're not as super-nice, but usually can be talked down to decent rates.

(edit: look at me, 5 minutes in and I'm already complaining, time to start reserving rooms...)

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2007
    Okay, I guess they had one suite available at the Crowne Plaza, and I just reserved it. :D

Thanks, Khoo

I would also like to take this opportunity to announce the 2nd Annual Party at Sealab Party...

Everybody, reserve your rooms at the Crowne Plaza for extra awesomeness.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Now I know if I spent 2 seconds on google I might be able to find this out on my own, and since it's not listed, I'm guessing that it's free... but just to double check:

Are we going to have to pay for parking?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Compared to last years 74$ a night, this is kind of a slap in the face. Does this include 4 people at that rate? or is room sharing officially forbidden like sakuracon?

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Sadly, this is what we get for moving to the larger, downtown venue. August is considered a peak month too, so the fact we were able to get those rates actually surprised a lot of people.

I wish it wasn't a slap in the face, and it is in no way meant to be- but if you want to stay close to the venue those are some of your options.

As far as occupancy goes, these prices are for "double" occupancy, and i believe you still have to pay for parking as it is downtown Seattle.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Ya, The price seems to double in downtown seattle. If I do get one of these rooms, i'll likely do an official roomshare with 4 people getting 4 keycards. I do admit thats not half bad considering some of the hotels are 200-300$ a night

:/

It really is too bad there isn't any suites available for parties or something like that. And ya, Im not suprised this happened either. I knew from last year and looking at hotel prices that seattle would be steep as far as hotels.

this price is before hotel tax?

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Yiiiiiiipes.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, the price increase hurts a bit, but it's workable. And if I get my brother-in-law and his fiancee to come this year, that will help a lot.

Regardless, I've reserved a room at the Crowne Plaza already.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2007
    Life goes on, and the price increase is worth it by far for the amount of room we'll be gaining this year.

Reserved a room at the Sheraton, and really, really hoping they won't care too much if I have a couple people in sleeping bags on the floor.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Thanks for understanding guys- seriously, the hike in hotel rates I obviously despise, but we did the best we could at the negotiating table. My goal is to get as many people to PAX as possible, so higher prices on rooms is nothing but a headache to me.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Life goes on, and the price increase is worth it by far for the amount of room we'll be gaining this year.

Reserved a room at the Sheraton, and really, really hoping they won't care too much if I have a couple people in sleeping bags on the floor.

It sounds like theres a 4 person limit. Rumor I heard is they are wise to room sharing/stuffing :/

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Thanks for understanding guys- seriously, the hike in hotel rates I obviously despise, but we did the best we could at the negotiating table. My goal is to get as many people to PAX as possible, so higher prices on rooms is nothing but a headache to me.

How much is your place running?

Legacy on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    too much.

besides, it's too far away. :D

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Well, I was going to suggest the youth hostel in Seattle, but apparently they're shutting down, as they lost their lease or something. They'll be moving to a new location during the time PAX is on, so their rooms are unavailable after March 17th. Shucks.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Considering the price for a room, I think I got a pretty sweet deal on my suite (no pun intended). The King Executive Suite allows 5 people, and has one king bed and a pull out sofa. They gave that to me at $199 a night. A hike from last year, yes, but a deal considering that's one extra person to split the bill with.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    O_O holly mother of christ . . . i can't afford those rates . . . i'll have to look elsewhere . . . perhaps a roach infested motel

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • Options
    uc4lifeuc4life Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    As a local I feel obliged to help other find a (slightly) cheaper way for all of you to enjoy my fair city.

I have prepared a presentation outlining the financial and walking burdens of an alternate lodging option i have found.

I give you...

Days Inn Seattle Downtown
    2205 Seventh Ave
    7th & Blanchard
    Seattle, WA 98121 US
    Phone: 206-448-3434

http://www.daysinn.com/

room.jpg
    route.jpg

uc4life on
  • Options
    uc4lifeuc4life Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    ...and for those with a car. Google says this place is 11 min away (no traffic)
    It is 88 dollars a night

http://seattleuniversityhotel.com/

uc4life on
  • Options
    PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'll be snagging one or two hotel rooms (per usual when I attend these things). It already seems like the Crowne Plaza is where many people are gravitating, so i'll probably veer in that direction. I might take a look at some other hotels in the area too and see what they offer price/room quality wise, but crowne/sheraton look nice for our needs. :)

Does anyone here know how the Sheraton and Crowne stack up against one another quality wise (Khoo perhaps)?

Legacy: Are you planning on rooming or are you looking at daily travel to and from your place in kirkland (I think it's kirkland)?

Polago on
  • Options
    staplersareshinystaplersareshiny Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If you have a AAA membership, Sheraton will cut you a deal off of club floor rooms if you like that. Select the dates you want to stay and after the results are shown select Automobile Association in the Special Rate Plan (ID required at Check-in) dropdown and click search again to have the discount applied. Just don't forget the AAA card when you check in!

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hey, now I know that some of us arn't locals, and I don't really have a long distance plan on my phone service, so is there an 800-number to call for the hotels? And I know that this has been asked already, but hasn't been answered... But is the price listed on the website before or after the hotel tax?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Lemme see if I can answer some of these questions in bulk:

1. The Sheraton is nicer than the Crowne Plaza, but not by much. They're nice hotels and are both better than the Doubletree/Hilton in Bellevue in my opinion.

2. If you do plan on using the AAA rate, please do so if you're really saving money. If it's the same price, I really urge you to use the PAX rate. The way it works was the only way we were able to secure these rates was to, in short, guarantee we would have our attendees pick up X # of rooms. So if it's about saving dough, awesome- i completely understand, but if it nets out to be the same price, please reconsider. :)

3. The prices on the website are not inclusive of tax.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Qs23 wrote: »
    Now I know if I spent 2 seconds on google I might be able to find this out on my own, and since it's not listed, I'm guessing that it's free... but just to double check:

Are we going to have to pay for parking?

Yes everyone is going to have to pay for parking.

Which really hurts if you are parking at the hotel or WSCTC.

at the hotel its anywhere between $25 and $28 a day. At the WSCTC Its $24 a day.

I highly recommend you park a block away or so at one of the many parking structures around seattle.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    In case you were wondering, like myself:

pax_map01.png

pax_map02.png

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    The Sheraton Hotel and the Crowne Hotel are swapped i believe.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    PLEASE, for the love of all thats holy, tell me the rate listed on the pax site is for the duration of pax....please?

Shade on
  • Options
    de4dmeta1de4dmeta1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Shade wrote: »
    PLEASE, for the love of all thats holy, tell me the rate listed on the pax site is for the duration of pax....please?

I can't do that, Dave.

As for the hotels being swapped, hammer refresh and it should fix.

de4dmeta1 on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    PolaGo wrote: »
    Legacy: Are you planning on rooming or are you looking at daily travel to and from your place in kirkland (I think it's kirkland)?

I'm planning on rooming. I don't have a vehicle and wouldn't want to travel back and forth really...

Legacy on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Legacy wrote: »
    I'm planning on rooming. I don't have a vehicle and wouldn't want to travel back and forth really...

Not to mention you'd miss out on all the great after hours insanity.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2007
    Moe_Fwacky wrote: »
    Not to mention you'd miss out on all the great after hours insanity.

Exactly.

Legacy on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Exactly.
    How the hell did you guys have any insanity? Every night I'd come in at 2:30am and just flop into bed, exhausted.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Obviously you weren't looking hard enough. Had you caught wind of one of our fliers, you would have made your way down to the Doubletree's 2nd floor business center for the mad projector gaming, then down the hall for the drunken party that lasted till 6 or 7 AM.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2007
    The Sheraton Hotel and the Crowne Hotel are swapped i believe.
    I believe you were right, and I fixed my mistake. Thanks.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Moe_Fwacky wrote: »
    Obviously you weren't looking hard enough. Had you caught wind of one of our fliers, you would have made your way down to the Doubletree's 2nd floor business center for the mad projector gaming, then down the hall for the drunken party that lasted till 6 or 7 AM.
    I was at the Red Lion, and I never called you up for the parties. But jesus, 7am? If I go to PAX I'll be sure to stock up on Bawls.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    FinsterFinster Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So, is it kosher if I sleep on the exhibition floor itself. I was thinking about underneath a table or something.

If not, who's up for some room-sharing?

Finster on
    herpderp
  • Options
    dragon keeper xdragon keeper x Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I have a question, for the crowne plaze, is tat $149 per night? or is thatin total for the 2 night stay?

dragon keeper x on
    Max sig size: 500x80px <3 Moe
    sig_dragonx.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    That's per night, since some of us stay for as much as 4 nights or more.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I have a question, for the crowne plaze, is tat $149 per night? or is thatin total for the 2 night stay?

lawl

any hotel price you see quoted is per night
    Finster wrote: »
    So, is it kosher if I sleep on the exhibition floor itself. I was thinking about underneath a table or something.

No.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    PolaGo wrote: »

I'll be grabbing 2 rooms likely (since the headcount limit per room will be stricter, and I think there's already 4 in my room), so if you want I can put you on the namelist for one.

[EDIT]Scratch that...possibly 3 rooms now. :O

I really really need to know if the headcount limit is going to strictly enforced or anything, because getting 3 rooms when I could potentially split between 2 would suck.[/EDIT]

Polago on
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    khoo, do we have a definite number of people per room that the rates specify?

Shade on
This discussion has been closed.