As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LOTRO] Barrovian Society Wanders but is not Lost

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Endaro wrote: »

Figgy, I could not find the client to buy, not that 6$ was too pricey. No need to get pissy. All I could find were people pushing MoM for full retail price. Considering a lot of mmo's seem to be handing out the client version to get customers, I was finding it surprising how much it seemed the game didn't want me to get it.

And I found it for you.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Figgy wrote: »
    Endaro wrote: »

Figgy, I could not find the client to buy, not that 6$ was too pricey. No need to get pissy. All I could find were people pushing MoM for full retail price. Considering a lot of mmo's seem to be handing out the client version to get customers, I was finding it surprising how much it seemed the game didn't want me to get it.

And I found it for you.

Thank you :P

Endaro on
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Stevo 22 wrote: »
    Triple B wrote: »
    I'm on a lot.

Lies. Filthy lies.

I'm on a lot.

There. Is that better? Because it's true, maybe you just don't have me added to friends. Add Raius and Paramour. If I'm not busy with my IRL friends who started playing, I am always down to assist.

I have both of you added, mang. I just haven't seen you on very much at all lately.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • blindside044blindside044 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Endaro:

lotro.com, support, installation, question #1, you will see a link that is provided to download the standard res and the high res clients for FREE; it downloads everything and then you get to play. Unlike the Turbine Download Manager where it doesnt fully install everything before it lets you into the game so you can get into the game quicker, and spend less time downloading. But it still downloads the rest of the game while you play so after a couple hours or so, you should see your High Setting options become available.

The Mines of Moria Complete Edition (including Shadows of Angmar) is $40, not $50.

blindside044 on
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm retrying this and it seems much more polished than release.

Do you think it runs any more efficiently? My PC isn't much cop.

Also, I live in Japan so I'm not sure which version, if any, I can sub to.

Do any of you live outside the main areas and sub successfully? I'm trying to understand the setup at the moment.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I ran this game during beta on a GeForce 4200Ti and everything else from that era. It was on low/medium details, but it was very playable. Dunno about server lag.

Aldo on
    edited February 2009
    I submit that whenever the next thread is made (which ought to be relatively soon now), we have a list of forum names to character names. I can never remember who I'm fellowing with, because we don't have such a list.

That said, last night was fucking amazing. We got a hell of a lot accomplished in Fornost, and I wish I could take my hat off to every single member of that fellowship. Except the nubbish hunter that we lost partway through. He kept ballsing up our FM's. Other than that, that was easily the most solid, most enduring fellowship I've been a part of since re-subbing.

Triple B on
    edited February 2009
    In kin social window you can put up a personal message, if you could ask everyone in the Society to change their message to their forum name for a while we'd already have half the active players here. If everyone else would be so kind to post their IGN and server name in this thread some time, then that would be swell.

I'm Alduilas on [EN] Evernight.

Aldo on
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Does anyone know if I can use a retail copy as a time code?

Newegg has it for $7 which is cheaper than a monthly sub. Could I just buy a new copy of the game and then apply that to my existing account, or do things not work that way?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
    edited February 2009
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    Does anyone know if I can use a retail copy as a time code?

Newegg has it for $7 which is cheaper than a monthly sub. Could I just buy a new copy of the game and then apply that to my existing account, or do things not work that way?
    if i recall correctly you can only apply one free month to your account.

Aldo on
    edited February 2009
    I think it would be extremely helpful if everyone who plays would post their character names (and their respective servers) on here as well. If only so whoever makes the next OP doesn't have to open LOTRO to compile the list.

Hi, I'm Triple B, and my character names are:

-Hjartad (hobbit hunter)
    -Edros (man loremaster)
    -Endorandir (man warden)
    -Ashlinel (man minstrel)
    -Edhelohtar (elf rune-keeper)
    -Braignur (dwarf champion)

All characters exist on Landroval.

You're most likely to see me playing on Hjartad, and occasionally Edros. The others are low-levels to be used when/if I grow tired of playing my main.

Triple B on
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Seeing how I bought the game and am enjoying it when i have time to play it ><. I'm Rizzah on Landroval.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • TurnpikeLadTurnpikeLad Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What the heck. I'm Ulweard on Landroval.

TurnpikeLad on
    edited February 2009
    Also note: Those who are without a kinship are welcome in The Barrovian Society.

Triple B on
    edited February 2009
    Also note: Those who are without a kinship are welcome in The Barrovian Society.
    And while we're at it. Any Europeans looking for a friendly kin are more than welcome among the Guardians of Narsil on Evernight.

Aldo on
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I lost my job on Friday so I had to cancel my sub. :(

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited February 2009
    Suds wrote: »

That sucks, man. :( What *was* your character name?

Triple B on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sorry to hear that Suds, hope you can fine new work soon :(

I'm Nkrumor on Landroval.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • PsycharilPsycharil Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Jaxiel, over on Vilya.

I'm still a nub though. Working on it. ^_^

Psycharil on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Suds wrote: »

Same thing just happened with me and Vanguard :-/

God this economy shit needs to end.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • blindside044blindside044 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yea... got layed-off about two weeks ago as well; the economy does fuckin blow indeed. But i'm on a lifetime account so I can still play :)

blindside044 on
    edited February 2009
    Man, good luck with finding a new job y'all. :(

Aldo on
  • IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Evinlea on Vilya 26 captain!

Captain's are pretty fun. Like a wow paladin/shaman rolled into one class minus the gay.

IvanIssacs on
  • LoxleyLoxley Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh LOTRO, you keep pulling me back despite being a devotee of WoW. One of these days I'll come back and get to leveling my Rune-Keeper again :)

Loxley on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Stevo 22Stevo 22 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Loxley wrote: »
    Oh LOTRO, you keep pulling me back despite being a devotee of WoW. One of these days I'll come back and get to leveling my Rune-Keeper again :)

I've worked a rune-keeper Elf to 21. So far so good, except that 21 gave me absolutely no abilities at the rune-keeper trainer. :x

Stevo 22 on
    "It's do or die." "Hey, I've died twice."
    edited February 2009
    Yesterday someone in North Downs /advice claimed that hunters were underpowered and that they couldn't solo, because he couldn't solo 3 orcs 3 levels higher than him at once. /Advice was outraged. Guy didn't even seem to be trolling, he was just...completely unaware of how the game worked.

Aldo on
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    We need a thread for everyone laid off.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Loxley wrote: »

I've worked a rune-keeper Elf to 21. So far so good, except that 21 gave me absolutely no abilities at the rune-keeper trainer. :x

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!

Srsly. I just hit level 21 with my rune-keeper, and had the exact same reaction, no abilities. :(

So I just started this a few weeks ago, and there's one thing (of possibly many) that I haven't figured out. Whats the point of getting mastery in a crafting profession? Would that make the pots I can craft better? I just did the quest to get the 3rd tier scholar recipes (I forget the name, the one after journeyman) but the bar for mastery of apprentice is just sitting there empty and it vexes me.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yes I think that is how it works. I know for armors a good way to describe it in... ugh 'WoW' terms is this. You have a simple white item you can make normally, right? With a mastery you have a chance for it to jump to a green, or in the case of later stuff, go from green to blue... and then there are one-use recipes which create epic stuff.

Not sure if that works for potions though, probably does.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • DedianDedian Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It does, for most anything you can make (aside from guild recipes or like... furniture ... olol epic wood carrier) - mastery in a tier allows you the chance to make a critical success item. The % chance that you can make a critical item is affected by the tools you have, and if you include a critical item (those random green-background items you've probably seen. For scholar, crit items are all varying types of eyes). There are also scrolls you can use to temporarily increase your crit chance (as a scholar, you can probably make some).

To Master a given tier, you must have first mastered the tier before it, as well as opened up the tier above it (that much should be obvious - your crafting skills won't progress until you open up that next tier). It'll depend on what you're making as to what the increase in stats will be. Once you master the tier, the "Mastery" tab will open up, and show you what you can possibly make with a crit.

You'll need to master the first tier before you can master the second...

Dedian on
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thanks for the replies.

Also just on a broad note, how would you guys compare the dungeons in WoW to the dungeons in LotRO? I just did the book 1 chapter 11 quest that takes you into the Great Barrows, and essentially my group (who were all multi-year veterans of WoW) really just zerged the quest. I'm liking the mechanics of the rune-keeper and the warden (though the warden's only level 6) and the lore tieing in with the quests is really appealing. My only real concern currently is about how interesting and engaging the dungeons are (the Great Barrows run as part of that chapter 11 quest being my only experience so far).

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    edited February 2009
    bk1ch11 GB is a gimped version of GB proper. True GB requires a full FS and everyone's attention, compared to Garth Agarwen it is a very small instance with 3 bosses, you need the first 2 for parts of a key to get to the last boss. They all have some sort of gimmick and summon adds you have to keep off your healing.

I'm going to assume later instances are more complex, I doubt the raid content is as elaborate as Naxx40/AQ40, though.

Aldo on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah the stuff you go into for the book/epic quests are -nothing- compared to real dungeons. I'd like to say they seem more complex than some of the stuff from WoW dungeons, though sadly I never went to any other past... Fornost I believe it's called?

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    edited February 2009
    So my dude needs an invite into your society.

He is called Nkrumor. He is the bestest. That is all.

Malkor on
    edited February 2009
    Haven't been on in a couple days...hoping to get some shit accomplished tonight.

*hunkers down*

Let's make this shit happen.

Triple B on
    edited February 2009
    I for seriously can't say enough good things about the atmosphere of this game. I don't think I'm a Tolkien fanboy, but I feel like one when I'm playing.

Malkor on
  • PsycharilPsycharil Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'd like to start on Landroval but I'm not entirely keen on starting from scratch all over again, when I've just gotten into my level 11 rune keeper on Vilya (starting crafting, checking out the auction house, getting some decent gear, etc).

I'm thinking though that perhaps if I choose another race and class it won't be so bad. I've always stuck to Elves because I love the architecture and the general feel of the race. Any suggestions on race and/or classes I should give a go? I'm partial to caster classes yet I won't hesitate to try melee.

Psycharil on
    edited February 2009
    Psycharil wrote: »
    I'd like to start on Landroval but I'm not entirely keen on starting from scratch all over again, when I've just gotten into my level 11 rune keeper on Vilya (starting crafting, checking out the auction house, getting some decent gear, etc).

I'm thinking though that perhaps if I choose another race and class it won't be so bad. I've always stuck to Elves because I love the architecture and the general feel of the race. Any suggestions on race and/or classes I should give a go? I'm partial to caster classes yet I won't hesitate to try melee.

At level 11? That'll take a couple hours... if you just reroll what you have now and you'll know the quests and where to go. [edit:] and I could probably roll an alt to help you out :D

Also, I can help out with whatever cash you need and probably get you some lowbie armor (you'll probably get enough hides for a whole suit :D)

Another edit: my main char is a champ, I also started up an elf hunter who's at lvl 20, and captain at 12. I don't know a whole lot about the casting classes (other than minstrel can be sloooooow to solo) but the race really doesn't matter - whatever class is available per race, and whatever you like, that's the best! Every race gets a race "trait" at a ceratain point that fills in the "hole" of its stats. Men get one that gives them Will, Elves get one that gives them fate (I believe). There's not really a best race per class, as in other games.

Final late edit: Unless you're on the trial, I don't think anyone can help you on a trial acct.

Dedian on
    edited February 2009
    Haven't been on in a couple days...hoping to get some shit accomplished tonight.

*hunkers down*

Let's make this shit happen.

Yeah, till you go LD.

Dedian on
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Is there a way to skip the introduction? I'm messing about with various characters during my trial and I don't enjoy the intro very much - too linear. I've made a Rohirrim Warden, and a Lorien Elf Runemaster. I can't say I like the Runemaster much - I'm no lore snob, but I do know LOTR pretty well, and the Runemaster feels out-of-place. I also need to make a Hobbit Minstrel and a Dwarf Champion.

I emailed Turbine support about whether I can sub using my Japanese credit card, and my answer is.... <crickets>.

I'm considering a follow-up email like this "I WOULD LIKE TO GIVE YOU MY MONEY. IS THAT A THING YOU THINK YOU MIGHT ENJOY? LET'S HAVE A LITTLE TALK ABOUT HOW I CAN GIVE YOU MONEY."

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.