As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New to the expo

MclacalMclacal Registered User new member
edited April 2009 in PAX Archive
My husband and I are thinking about flying out to Seattle for vacay this year and going to the expo while we are in town. What makes this the best expo to attend? Any tips for first timers? Thx!

Mclacal on

• Options
    DMmagicDMmagic PAX East Enforcer Springfield, MO, USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm going specifically to meet Jerry and Mike (Tycho and Gabe respectively, kind of) and shake their hands. Hopefully I can get a picture with them too.

This will be my first convention/conference/whatever of this nature and I have no idea what to expect. I'm taking my laptop and Nintendo DS, a camera, and a credit card. Don't really know what will happen, but I've been wanting to attend PAX for at least five years now, so I'm pretty excited :-)

DMmagic on
  • Options
    MinjaMinja Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Expect a crowed. It wont be like last year (hopefully), but if you're looking for something less crowded, then Sunday would be the day to go.

There will be a lot going on! There is never something not going on. Many many pannels to sit in on all day long. Dont like sitting and listening to people yack? Fine! Go home! ...just kidding. There are also many rooms where you can actually play video games, and with some awesome sauce people. There is also the expo hall where it is filled to the rim with epic proportions. Gaming companies and little shops to show off their up and coming stuff. You can demo these games even.

And if the crowd is bogging you down, hey, Seattle is just an awesome place in general. The convention center is within walking distance of a lot of famous Seattle spots. Such as Pike Place Market, for instance.

And the whole building is just full of cool people to meet. There are also concerts held on Friday and Saturday night. The music is geared towards Nerd Core music and old video game favorites remastered into heavy rock. Its a blast from the past but also leaving the feeling of, "Im not as much as a nerd if I listen to it in its rock form."

So anyway...yes. Lots to do. PAX is an awesome event for anyone to go to.

Minja on
    katamaribanner.jpg
  • Options
    demonthresisdemonthresis Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Last year was my first PAX experience and I was glad I attended all 3 days. You really get something different each day. The concerts Friday/Saturday night are great. You get all the best swag day one while all the vendors have their good stuff. Saturday is a great day to wander around, check out the new video games and play demos. And Sunday is a nice chill day where you can play some games and just hang out in the video game rooms and chat with other gamers.

Obviously you can mix and match some, but it's definitely amazing!

demonthresis on
    Pretty, what do we blow up first?
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Don't forget that the community organizes several events and meetups before the convention itself. The Big Three are the Magicl Mystery Tour, Pre-PAX Dinner, and the Pre-Pax Bar Crawl.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Don't forget that the community organizes several events and meetups before the convention itself. The Big Three are the Magicl Mystery Tour, Pre-PAX Dinner, and the Pre-Pax Bar Crawl.
    I plan to fly in on Wednesday, so it's exciting to hear about pre-conference events! :-D

DMmagic on
  • Options
    BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The pre-pax events are also great for meeting with people and making friends to hang out with over the weekend :) Cause you can never have too many friends to run into and wander around/have lunch/see a concert with! It really does add a HUGE sense of fun and community to the event ^.^

Plus the forum people are rad as hell. I love these guys.

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • Options
    MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    DMmagic wrote: »
    I plan to fly in on Wednesday, so it's exciting to hear about pre-conference events! :-D

You should check out the Magical Mystery Tour!

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Thanks for the heads up :-) Just sent in my PM.

DMmagic on
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mclacal wrote: »
    What makes this the best expo to attend?

Best things about PAX:
    - Pre-PAX events, especially the dinner if you want your Bawls fix.
    - The fact that 99% of the people you meet are hilarious and you'll always be with cool people.
    - Awesome concerts.
    - Pictochat.

Worst thing about PAX:
    -- Pictochat.

Any tips for first timers? Thx!

Go to as many pre-pax events as you can. They can be just as fun as PAX itself.

Also get in line early. Last year I went when I thought there'd be no one there and there was probably several hundred people already there.

parabola on
  • Options
    TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    As far as getting in line early, the window between the convention center opening and PAX starting is narrower. They're letting us in at 10am on Friday this year.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • Options
    JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Lurk the forums...talk to people...become a sponge.

Last year was my first time, and that's what I did. I feel that after that I was sufficiently prepared for the awesome that is PAX.

Unfortunately, that was a mistake to think.

The biggest piece of advice I can give, is be prepared to feel like you got hit by the 18 Wheeler of Bad Ass. You are going to leave PAX feeling like you have just been pummled by the awesome stick.

Try to do the community events as well, and keep in mind...PAX is not E3, it's not about games, but games are showcased. The real stars of PAX are the people going to it. I have to say the best part of my first PAX (last year) was leaving with friendships that I feel will be life long, after only knowing people for a week at the most (CCST 08).

And if you want to make a plan on how to spend your PAX, make sure you can be flexible...because you are not going to hold to it...at all

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    starlitestarlite Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    JonnyNero wrote: »
    Lurk the forums...talk to people...become a sponge.

Last year was my first time, and that's what I did. I feel that after that I was sufficiently prepared for the awesome that is PAX.

Unfortunately, that was a mistake to think.

The biggest piece of advice I can give, is be prepared to feel like you got hit by the 18 Wheeler of Bad Ass. You are going to leave PAX feeling like you have just been pummled by the awesome stick.

Try to do the community events as well, and keep in mind...PAX is not E3, it's not about games, but games are showcased. The real stars of PAX are the people going to it. I have to say the best part of my first PAX (last year) was leaving with friendships that I feel will be life long, after only knowing people for a week at the most (CCST 08).

And if you want to make a plan on how to spend your PAX, make sure you can be flexible...because you are not going to hold to it...at all

That is good advice. Go to the late night concerts, and if you aren't a social person, force yourself to be. You will meet some really cool people. Bring lots of money so you can buy cool stuff. Go to meet-up events even if you don't know anyone. Twitter is your friend.

starlite on
  • Options
    ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've seen a number of mentions to the prePAX events but I haven't seen too many listings about them yet. Or I haven't looked hard enough. Although, I did start reading the Magical Mystery Tour thread and am interested in it. What other pre PAX events should I keep a look out for and where do I sign up?

Arminas on
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Arminas wrote: »
    I've seen a number of mentions to the prePAX events but I haven't seen too many listings about them yet. Or I haven't looked hard enough. Although, I did start reading the Magical Mystery Tour thread and am interested in it. What other pre PAX events should I keep a look out for and where do I sign up?

Astayonix and ElectricTurtle are in the middle of planning this year's pre-PAX dinner and will have a signup thread up when they have everything hashed out. I'll have the official bar crawl thread up within the next couple months. We're still 7 months away from PAX.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    ValoharthValoharth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've been to PAX twice, this year will make my third year. My advice for new players:

-Go to the Key Note if you can, for real. Wil Wheaton’s key note for 2007 was amazing, unfortunately I couldn't make it into last years.

-Choose a couple panels you really really want to see and one that you think not a lot of people will show up to. And if the line is huge to get in when you show up, just leave. No need to stand in line for an hour or so if you’re going to miss out on other Con-goodness. In 07 PAX had a ton of panels, actually they had too many for the number of attendance, last year they had too few for the number of attendance. From what I understand they'll have more panels this year but it might not be enough again.

-Attendance will be up, you have people like Adam Sessler (sp?), Morgan Webb, Ed Brubaker, Felicia Day, The Totally Rad Guys, and Will Wheaton showing up to PAX and they promote it. From 07 to 08, the increase in attendance was staggering and I can't wait to see what it's going to be like this year!

-Bring your own water, and hand disinfectant and use it! I can't stress this enough. You'll thank me when you see the long thread of people complaining to have PAX-S.A.R.S. It's not pretty. Also wash your hands when using the bathroom, just by you doing it you’ll encourage others to do so.

-Leave to eat, see the city. I know you want to stay in there and see all the PAX goodness but go out in the sun, doing this will energize you and keep you from getting Con-burn. It can get to be too much. This is the best advice I can give anyone.

Valoharth on
    Valo+Harth.gif
  • Options
    DeusTrinitasDeusTrinitas Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Perhaps this thread should be stickied, since it contains so much good information for newbies.

DeusTrinitas on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2009
    PAX attendance has practically doubled every year since inception. This year there's actually a limit on passes available due to space restriction; personally I don't expect them to run into that limit until day-of sales, but that doesn't mean to delay in buying your passes.

PAX Attendance Figures
    2004: 3,300
    2005: 9,000
    2006: 19,323
    2007: 37,000
    2008: 58,500
    all attendance numbers are "turnstyle"

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2009
    Perhaps this thread should be stickied, since it contains so much good information for newbies.
    We have a sticky with information for newbies

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh and I just thought of one last thing, if you're going on your own I'd highly recommend you join us Twitter Shitters. It helped me out a LOT last year, added to the con experience. I used twitter for SDCC and PAX. It's really useful especially if you're not from the Sea/Tac area, I found some cool places last year by just texting questions onto where to go. There's a twitter thread, go there if you have questions :)

Valoharth on
    Valo+Harth.gif
  • Options
    DeusTrinitasDeusTrinitas Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    We have a sticky with information for newbies

I know, but this thread has some information that the thread to which you are referring does not. And technically, there is a difference between a FAQ and a thread with random tips for newbies.

DeusTrinitas on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Feel free to consolidate the info in question and post it in the sticky above, if you so desire.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If you're into panels like I am, you should pick a few that you consider essential, get to them long before they start, and bring a book/DS. Even if it's at the expense of other fun things, you meet people everywhere, even (especially) in lines, and it's worth getting a good seat for a great session.

PAX is never not fun.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Options
    SpawnOfCthulhuSpawnOfCthulhu Also that Snifit guy. Gig Harbor, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Get in line for the panels and keynote as early as possible. Pick out what you want to go to well ahead of time, and make a schedule. They were actually turning people away from the fallout 3 panel because the theater was so full. A good strategy (that people hate, but hell, it works): If you want to go to a popular panel that you know will be crowded, head to that theater and go to the panel before it. Just stay in your seat afterwards and you can stay for the second. Like after the keynote last year, I stayed for the Q and A, and the rooster teeth panel.
    Just be prepared and don't wing it.

SpawnOfCthulhu on
    Wx8ay.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Get in line for the panels and keynote as early as possible. Pick out what you want to go to well ahead of time, and make a schedule. They were actually turning people away from the fallout 3 panel because the theater was so full. A good strategy (that people hate, but hell, it works): If you want to go to a popular panel that you know will be crowded, head to that theater and go to the panel before it. Just stay in your seat afterwards and you can stay for the second. Like after the keynote last year, I stayed for the Q and A, and the rooster teeth panel.

Yea, I didn't even get with in a 100 people before they stopped letting people into that panel. But didn't they clear out the rooms before every panel? I know they did it on a couple. Usually it will say somewhere if they're going to clear a room, either in the program or on the door of the room. Check first before going into the panel before :) I agree 100% about planing though. But there is some fun in winging it too.

Valoharth on
    Valo+Harth.gif
  • Options
    s7arbucks7arbuck Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    your only reals plans for pax need to be 1 or 2 panals this tournament and a phone will texting after you meet people. last year (i almost worte yesterday. aww pax how i miss you) i made a text spam list of like 20 or so people who were at pax and when i weent to go grab food or was going assassin hunting i would text people to see if they wanted to join. but now with the magic of twitter it might be better.

however ds is needed and join the pax dinner and MMT (you will better from it)

s7arbuck on
  • Options
    Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Also: a DS to touch people, and a touch screen to make them laugh.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Options
    MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    PAX '08 was my first expo/convention ever. I had a huge list of panels that I wanted to hit, and all these plans.. But when I actually got to PAX, those plans pretty much went out the window. I had a few people I knew, who I tagged along with. The Keynote is great to hit up, and the Q&A are entertaining. Also, if you can, the Omegathon is really neat too. Other than that, I wandered around and met people. I didn't have a very big social circle before PAX, but now I have almost 30 people in my phone address book now, and my social circle quadrupled. <3

MeeOk on
  • Options
    KBs_FuRyKBs_FuRy Registered User new member
    edited February 2009
    Not to take any thunder away from PAX but Bumpershoot is also that weekend so it's a great weekend to vacay in Seattle.

KBs_FuRy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Last year my group hit up the STP concert on Sunday night. It was late enough after PAX ended on Sunday that we didn't miss any of PAX for it. Bumbershoot also runs on Monday, so people who are still in town can catch any of that day's shows as well.

Bumbershoot and PAX don't completely step on each others' toes

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Arminas wrote: »

Astayonix and ElectricTurtle are in the middle of planning this year's pre-PAX dinner and will have a signup thread up when they have everything hashed out. I'll have the official bar crawl thread up within the next couple months. We're still 7 months away from PAX.

Yeah, uh, planning. We're totally planning, uh, stuff, and not sitting around like lazy sluts. Totally.

(Seriously though, have we ever let anybody down?)

Oh and that expression, getting hit by an 18 wheeler of badass, is a keeper, JonnyNero.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Oh and that expression, getting hit by an 18 wheeler of badass, is a keeper, JonnyNero.

Thanks...I'm trying to figure out a way to turn that expression into a button

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

PAX is the only expo I've ever been to where you get a Wizard of Oz feeling of coming home.

Last year was my first time going to PAX. Throughout the entire experience there were times when I felt like I was the only person who didn't really know where I wanted to be, there were times that it felt like a normal convention/conference, and there were times when it felt like a giant dorm of gamers with everyone's door open.

What really drove the entire thing home was the morning after PAX ended. From the time that we had arrived on Thursday until Sunday night gamers were in evidence everywhere, so much so that it was a very subtle effect and not overtly noticeable. On Monday morning when we went down to the lobby of the hotel and walked outside for a few minutes before going to catch our plane the difference was extremely jarring. Instead of the lobby being filled with groups sprawled in chairs equipped with DS's, game shirts, miniatures, and cards, it was filled instead with families and singles or pairs of businessmen. The entire area had become "normal" again, and only when that happened did I realize how much the surrounding 6 blocks had been transformed into a community and a home for those few days. It was like waking up from a wonderful dream, looking around at the stark world around you, and then wondering if it was all real.

It doesn't matter that you don't know the other 50k+ people. It doesn't matter that the spread of interests ranges beyond the areas you specialize in. Unlike other conventions it isn't focused specifically on some sub-section like comics or Star Trek, it's big enough and varied enough to embrace the entire population of all of those sections together and that's what makes it really unique.

I truly believe (and I think that other people would agree) that you can't get that anywhere else.

Hypatia on
  • Options
    KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Valoharth wrote: »

Yea, I didn't even get with in a 100 people before they stopped letting people into that panel. But didn't they clear out the rooms before every panel? I know they did it on a couple. Usually it will say somewhere if they're going to clear a room, either in the program or on the door of the room. Check first before going into the panel before :) I agree 100% about planing though. But there is some fun in winging it too.

Yes, they did start emptying out rooms last year to prevent squatters (don't piss off the Enforcers!). PAX is a shit-ton of awesome crammed into 3 short days (ish), and the bottom line is that you gotta have a plan, and you're going to have to make sacrifices. Note: YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DO/SEE EVERYTHING. It is impossible. Truly. Once the schedule and events start coming out, it'll be easier to figure out - but as MeeOk said, be prepared for your best laid plans to get thrown out the window. =P

My strategy is to pick the stuff I just *have* to attend (panels, screenings, etc) first, and then whittle it down. There will be conflicts. Hard choices must be made. As PAX gets closer and more awesome gets planned, I whittle and refine my schedule. Once the weekend hits, I play it by ear. =D

Lasly: lines. There are lines. And more lines. Bring comfortable walking/standing shoes!

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • Options
    Curse-TenCurse-Ten Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    GRAH, this thread is getting me PUMPED. RAH!

I need to see what panels will be there, I want to make my schedule. Man I would love to have my DS signed by someone famous (John or Gabe or both make the top of my list) so that is the goal of PAX for me.

I need some friends though. Hopefully I'll make tons before I leave.

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hypatia wrote: »

PAX is the only expo I've ever been to where you get a Wizard of Oz feeling of coming home.

Totally. What makes PAX so special is the people. I've never seen a con where so many take initiative finding creative ways to make the whole thing better. My husband and I use the term "one of us..." :P

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • Options
    stankerbellstankerbell Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I concur with much of the sentiment already expressed... last year was my first year and now i'm hooked... :)

I would say that it's good to come w/ a plan but be prepared or flexible enough to toss the plan and create a new one once your there...

it was really amazing to be able to go anywhere in seattle within a 6 block radius for those 3 days and strike up a conversation with another group of pax goers that would be around..... it was also funny and a little surreal to be in a restaurant at pacific place and notice that a quarter of the patrons were on their ds's, while eating dinner...

stankerbell on
  • Options
    SovietMudkipzSovietMudkipz Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I've been to PAX twice, this year will make my third year. My advice for new players:

-Go to the Key Note if you can, for real. Wil Wheaton’s key note for 2007 was amazing, unfortunately I couldn't make it into last years.

-Choose a couple panels you really really want to see and one that you think not a lot of people will show up to. And if the line is huge to get in when you show up, just leave. No need to stand in line for an hour or so if you’re going to miss out on other Con-goodness. In 07 PAX had a ton of panels, actually they had too many for the number of attendance, last year they had too few for the number of attendance. From what I understand they'll have more panels this year but it might not be enough again.

-Attendance will be up, you have people like Adam Sessler (sp?), Morgan Webb, Ed Brubaker, Felicia Day, The Totally Rad Guys, and Will Wheaton showing up to PAX and they promote it. From 07 to 08, the increase in attendance was staggering and I can't wait to see what it's going to be like this year!

-Bring your own water, and hand disinfectant and use it! I can't stress this enough. You'll thank me when you see the long thread of people complaining to have PAX-S.A.R.S. It's not pretty. Also wash your hands when using the bathroom, just by you doing it you’ll encourage others to do so.

-Leave to eat, see the city. I know you want to stay in there and see all the PAX goodness but go out in the sun, doing this will energize you and keep you from getting Con-burn. It can get to be too much. This is the best advice I can give anyone.
    Also, try to avoid doing anything at PAX you can easily do at home. Last year on Saturday night I went to the showing of The Wizard. Not only did they not have the movie (because Tron is totally just as related to video games as The Wizard is, right?) we had to watch it on a cruddy SDTV. With a crowd of obese people trying to be funnyby comparing the movie's lines to Metal Gear Solid and Star Fox 64.

Avoid console freeplay unless you are playing with other people, and never go to console freeplay in the daytime when the expo hall is open (that's just stupid).

Commit to one thing for hours, because having an exact schedule leads to time conflicts and frustration. For example, panels on Friday and expo hall on Saturday. I noticed that the expo hall was less busy on Saturday morning and that was when I played most of the games I wanted to.

SovietMudkipz on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    SergeantAuberieSergeantAuberie Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Yes, they did start emptying out rooms last year to prevent squatters (don't piss off the Enforcers!). PAX is a shit-ton of awesome crammed into 3 short days (ish), and the bottom line is that you gotta have a plan, and you're going to have to make sacrifices. Note: YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DO/SEE EVERYTHING. It is impossible. Truly. Once the schedule and events start coming out, it'll be easier to figure out - but as MeeOk said, be prepared for your best laid plans to get thrown out the window. =P

My strategy is to pick the stuff I just *have* to attend (panels, screenings, etc) first, and then whittle it down. There will be conflicts. Hard choices must be made. As PAX gets closer and more awesome gets planned, I whittle and refine my schedule. Once the weekend hits, I play it by ear. =D

Lasly: lines. There are lines. And more lines. Bring comfortable walking/standing shoes!

And money for cookies! The Cookie Brigade is pretty good about hitting up lines.

SergeantAuberie on
  • Options
    caddyalancaddyalan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I made sure to read this thread, because I was curious what happens as PAX besides the dealer's room, open gaming, concerts, and panels. I didn't see any mention of an Artist Alley or anything similar. Hopefully there's something like that at PAX, because I've always enjoyed artist alleys at the anime cons that I've attended. It's essentially an arts and crafts show for fellow fanboys and fangirls.

caddyalan on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    caddyalan wrote: »
    I made sure to read this thread, because I was curious what happens as PAX besides the dealer's room, open gaming, concerts, and panels. I didn't see any mention of an Artist Alley or anything similar. Hopefully there's something like that at PAX, because I've always enjoyed artist alleys at the anime cons that I've attended. It's essentially an arts and crafts show for fellow fanboys and fangirls.

There isnt an "artists alley"
    and at pax there isnt really a dealers room. Theres an expo hall, only a small portion of companies in expo actually sell things.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
This discussion has been closed.