As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[POTBS] Pirates of the Burning Sea

• WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    so theres no trial for this, just a buddy code system?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I started a Frenchie on Rackham too now. I'm a free trader.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Nova, I sent you an invite.

PeasantDave on
  • UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So I got a pre-order disk given to me yesterday. Does anyone know if this includes a demo or just the free parrot pet and sword? I dont' really have time to dedicate to a new MMO but it'd be neat to try it out. If it's just free items, I'll just PM the codes to someone who plays.

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
    edited February 2008
    I believe just the pirate and sword. You can also install the game from the disk, although it does not give you the code to play it. The person who gave you the disk may have a valid buddy code though.

PeasantDave on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    God damnit. Stupid Rackham and having New Orleans under fighting for 48 hours. I want to open an Iron Mine there without the risk of being blown to pieces! Come on French, through off the yokes of the silly Spanish attackers!

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Haha. I was doing the quest line teaching about the economy and set up my warehouse on Cat's Island (Cat's Eye Island?). As I approached I got the alert that I was entering a pvp zone. Checked the map. Yep, the Spanish are after the port. Thankfully either the Spanish suck or the attempt was just winding down because the zone cleared after a couple hours with the pirates still in control.

Anyway, the combat in this game is so much fun. It may seem a little slow to the casual observer, but you really have to be thinking to take other ships without getting worked over yourself.

Reckham seems like a good server for factional balance. All for factions were at 'medium' when I logged on tonight.

Nova_C on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    God DAMNIT! Know how I mentioned New Orleans was under attack? Well French fought back and were leading during the attacking phases. So I early this morning I note that there's no more red circle around the city. I think that yay we won! I look at the colour: the port's yellow.

Now I can't start up my warehouse and mine :(

Aegis on
    Characters
  • TaterskinTaterskin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I have an iron mine and forge in New Orleans right now. I'm not a freetrader so I'm gonna wait until the French take it back (hopefully they will) before producing more ingots.

I got into the port battle at St. John's and had a blast. I got to sink two ships that outclassed my own. Of course those two had strayed from the main line and were already pretty beat up. The strategy involved in the battle was interesting. It basically amounts to, 'Make a line and pound the shit out of each other'. You don't just sail balls to the wall toward the enemy line and hope everyone will know when to turn and fire.

Taterskin on
  • OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    need more motherfuckers on Rackham

y'all gotta be the sheep that get my business booming :x

Oboro on
    words
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Taterskin wrote: »
    I have an iron mine and forge in New Orleans right now. I'm not a freetrader so I'm gonna wait until the French take it back (hopefully they will) before producing more ingots.

I got into the port battle at St. John's and had a blast. I got to sink two ships that outclassed my own. Of course those two had strayed from the main line and were already pretty beat up. The strategy involved in the battle was interesting. It basically amounts to, 'Make a line and pound the shit out of each other'. You don't just sail balls to the wall toward the enemy line and hope everyone will know when to turn and fire.

Thats pretty much how naval battles went in 1702

Norgoth on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Ideally you want to cross your enemies T. Basiclly it's someone sailing into your broadside. You can bring your full broadside to bear and most naval ships of the time generally had light cannon upfront.

Thomamelas on
  • TaterskinTaterskin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You can't cross the T if the enemy has 24 ships blocking the port entrance. :)

I understand 1 on 1 or even 6 vs 6....but when its 24 vs 24 things change.

Taterskin on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You can't cross the T if the enemy has 24 ships blocking the port entrance. :)

I understand 1 on 1 or even 6 vs 6....but when its 24 vs 24 things change.

Tegetthoff would disagree with you. If you can catch a fleet while it's forming a line of battle, and are willing to cross your own T, then you can bring both broadsides to bear. It's not common but doable even in large scale battles.

Thomamelas on
    edited February 2008
    so is the combat all real time? or do cannon balls magically track you like homing missiles?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited February 2008
    Wren wrote: »
    so is the combat all real time? or do cannon balls magically track you like homing missiles?

I'm not sure what you're asking? It's real time combat, but what has that got to do with cannon balls magically tracking you? You can't really dance the ship to dodge incoming fire. I mean, it's a SHIP. You move and fire in real time, though, which means your constantly working to have positional advantage.

Or, if you're like me, you just go balls out point blank. :P

Nova_C on
    edited February 2008

Damage and accuracy are calculated server side and the represent visually on the client side. This happens instantaneously and looks pretty sweet, especially when 40 cannon balls are flying the air, then smashing into the hull, sails and water depending on the amount of hits.

PeasantDave on
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So ive made a Pirate alt on rackham, Morgan swiftframe (also my name on antigua for the brits). I might stick with the pirate, it seems to be more of what I was after with my Priv, harrasing shipping and the like.

Norgoth on
    edited February 2008
    Nova_C wrote: »

I'm not sure what you're asking? It's real time combat, but what has that got to do with cannon balls magically tracking you? You can't really dance the ship to dodge incoming fire. I mean, it's a SHIP. You move and fire in real time, though, which means your constantly working to have positional advantage.

Or, if you're like me, you just go balls out point blank. :P

right. you can move and shoot in most mmos, but all the hitting is just done with numbers and calculations. if you fire an arrow at someone moving, your arrow will bend and track the person. which is what I was asking. but I think you answered it. I think

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • bugmn99bugmn99 Registered User new member
    edited February 2008
    I've got a pirate on Rackham now - lvl 16. I'm hearing from some folks though that pirates are at a disadvantage in PvP due to nation players (or maybe it was just NO's) being able to stack buffs to the point that pirates can't move/shoot. Also I heard something about nationals being able to drag any other player from their nation into PvP to assist.

I may have the story wrong, but does that sound like anything you pirate PvPers have seen? Just trying to get an idea of what to expect once I'm leveled enough to PvP/assist with port battles. I'm sure it's not as hopeless as some have made it sound to me in game.

bugmn99 on
  • Red the RoninRed the Ronin New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I was following POTBS casually for several months and then missed the open beta completely. :(

Does anyone have a spare Buddy Key that I could use to try POTBS out? Please PM it to me if possible.

Red the Ronin on
    edited February 2008
    bugmn99 wrote: »
    I've got a pirate on Rackham now - lvl 16. I'm hearing from some folks though that pirates are at a disadvantage in PvP due to nation players (or maybe it was just NO's) being able to stack buffs to the point that pirates can't move/shoot. Also I heard something about nationals being able to drag any other player from their nation into PvP to assist.

I may have the story wrong, but does that sound like anything you pirate PvPers have seen? Just trying to get an idea of what to expect once I'm leveled enough to PvP/assist with port battles. I'm sure it's not as hopeless as some have made it sound to me in game.

Nationals have the best ships and the best economy. Pirates are able to drag in allies into combat as well though to assist. Also I don't believe you can stack more than a couple speed debuffs. I could be wrong on that last point though.

PeasantDave on
  • eoghantoddeoghantodd Registered User new member
    edited February 2008
    Anyone can drag in their group for combat, actually.

eoghantodd on
    edited February 2008
    Any plans to organize our Pirates society into an economic machine? I've got an iron mine in.....some port somwhere. :P Have the deed to a forge that I'll be building alongside the mine shortly.

Also, the Spanish seem to be making a bid to take over that island just south of Tortuga.

And when the hell do you guys play? Whenever I'm online there's is never more than one other person in the society online, usually I'm by myself.

Nova_C on
  • The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Now that everyone's been playing for a few weeks, What do you think?

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
    edited February 2008
    Damn, I go away for three days after France was having troubles taking back New Orleans. Then I log in last night and like...7 Spanish ports are either being conquered or under contention and I note it's a joint operation between France, Spain, and the Pirates.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • RivulentRivulent Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    My buddy let me log into this account to give it a try, and i think I'm going to buy it. A lot different than the conventional, but executed well enough. Now, should I be spain like my friend, or pirate it up? Hmm... I would think the population is 80% pirate and the rest spread across the three other factions.

Rivulent on
    edited February 2008
    I've been finding a real lack of depth to this game in terms of customizability. I don't mean appearance, I mean how one plays. There's no ship equipment customization other than a purely abstract 'upgrade' screen with a couple slots to put squares in that equal upgrading your ship and combat is the same button mash regardless of what fighting style you take.

At least, Florentine isn't different in any remarkable way from Drunken. The lack of playstyle customization bothers me and I'm already tiring of it. Questing is fine, but like WoW it's all combat based but unlike WoW combat cannot vary.

Also, the economic section seemed cool at first, but it's, well, way too abstracted. It's basically purchasing equipment from a shop that you built yourself.

I dunno, maybe I'm being overly-critical but I was having a ton of fun at first and then it stopped literally all of a sudden when I realized that what I was doing now was going to be the exact same thing I would be doing at level 50, only my ship will be bigger.

Nova_C on
    edited February 2008
    I've been finding a real lack of depth to this game in terms of customizability. I don't mean appearance, I mean how one plays. There's no ship equipment customization other than a purely abstract 'upgrade' screen with a couple slots to put squares in that equal upgrading your ship and combat is the same button mash regardless of what fighting style you take.

At least, Florentine isn't different in any remarkable way from Drunken. The lack of playstyle customization bothers me and I'm already tiring of it. Questing is fine, but like WoW it's all combat based but unlike WoW combat cannot vary.

Also, the economic section seemed cool at first, but it's, well, way too abstracted. It's basically purchasing equipment from a shop that you built yourself.

I dunno, maybe I'm being overly-critical but I was having a ton of fun at first and then it stopped literally all of a sudden when I realized that what I was doing now was going to be the exact same thing I would be doing at level 50, only my ship will be bigger.

Well, it is still an mmo:lol:

Rivulent on
    edited February 2008
    Rivulent wrote: »

Except I have several alts across several levels in WoW and they all do different things. Not to mention the vast differences between group roles in that game. Healing, tanking and dps are all different animals that completely change what you need to be doing, thinking and preparing. When I tire of one role I just switch to another. The game is fun again!

Pirates really doesn't seem to have this and so won't last as long.

I mean, hell, in EvE the way you outfit your ship completely changes your playstyle from being a tackler, miner, transport, missile boat or energy weapon ship. And this is only what I vaguely remember from when I played it a long time ago.

What variation is there in PotBS?

Nova_C on
    edited February 2008
    Rivulent wrote: »

Except I have several alts across several levels in WoW and they all do different things. Not to mention the vast differences between group roles in that game. Healing, tanking and dps are all different animals that completely change what you need to be doing, thinking and preparing. When I tire of one role I just switch to another. The game is fun again!

Pirates really doesn't seem to have this and so won't last as long.

I mean, hell, in EvE the way you outfit your ship completely changes your playstyle from being a tackler, miner, transport, missile boat or energy weapon ship. And this is only what I vaguely remember from when I played it a long time ago.

What variation is there in PotBS?

I was under the impression that people could benefit their faction economically, by various ways. I don't know specifics, I'm a noob.

And my lack of lust for wow is because I've had 5 70s over the course of the game, and raided up to SSC. It's to a point where I have nothing left to enjoy out of the game, because I've realized:

A) It's just a treadmill and I'll never see a feasible end. This concept is fine, except when the game itself puts so much emphasis on the importance of material items, i.e. gear, like wow does. I have no idea how POTBS is.

B) I've played the three rolls, it has it's gleaming moments for each, but only accompanied by 10x as much frustrating moments I regret when I log off.

I like WoW, don't get me wrong, it's been great (great enough to have me spend 100x more time than my last mmo-that-I-played-more-than-a-week, DAOC). Also, it's unfair to compare POTBS and WoW since they appear to be different beasts. Would the comparison of eve and potbs be more accurate? I'm a noob at EVE too. Reviews said POTBS has a steep learning curve.. but it seems to be nothing compared to eve.

Rivulent on
    edited February 2008
    www.whitewolfclan.net/pobs/review.htm+potbs&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=us

Offers a great explanation of the difference in classes.

Rivulent on
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    so has everyone lost interest in this game or has everyone stopped playing it? =p is there enough to keep it interesting once you hit max level?

DiscoZombie on
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Anyone play this anymore? All the recent updates to it since launch (and the complete revamp of the Avatar combat.) have rekindled my interest. The game basically costs $0 and there is a free 14 day trial. All you do after that is pay sub and you can play. So it's on the cheap now, and i believe you can get it off of steam. Hitting up the forums on their site shows a pretty reasonable group of very dedicated players. Kind of reminds me of the first year or so of EvE.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Funny I see this thread come back up. One of my friends just got me to give this game another shot after he spent some time describing how much better the game has gotten thanks to all of the patches. I’ll give the Blackbeard server a try since it is the unofficial east coast server.

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
    edited February 2009
    Oh i'm on Antigua, when i first played i was on Blackbeard though so i have a character there. Yeah so far the game has actually improved a bit. Less improved than i though but still the improvements are really good so far. Especially the PVP part of it, its got some serious PVP going on in it sort of EvE style, and the pirates just toss in and mix it up its really neat. Too bad the populations on some of the servers are "Light" but the game really is a niche title. It looks like this one might pull an EvE though as more people are starting to come back to it lately since the patches. (EvE went through a similar phase when it first came out, the first year or so was dead then they fixed their game and people started coming back, also a Niche game.)

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So what's changed? I played the first two months, but I got bored after reaching level 50 and our group countinually getting destroyed in PvP.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, what's new about this game? Somebody sell me on it. I really want a combat-y game with a proper endgame where you can actually impact the world.

Imperfect on
    edited February 2009
    They improved PVP big time. Contention is now very different and the red is bigger and has more impact on the world. The game is pretty much PVP focused at the mid to end game levels.

Revamped and improved avatar combat. Those would be the two major ones. Lots of new ships have been added, including some that had been designed by the playerbase. Revamped system for submitting player made content, its now a lot easier to get stuff into the game. They are also currently working on improving some of the smaller ships to make them more PVP worthy, so that each one has a role to play. (Kinda like in EvE.)

Oh, theres also no more Pirate calss. There are now two classes for Pirates, Cutthroat and Buccaneer.

Thats what i noticed right away when coming into the game at least.

Elimination on
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So... is there the Pirate faction, though? Can they take/hold ports? How does all that work anyhow?

Imperfect on