As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

420 smoke [DOODLE] erryday

• MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    cool deal! yeah painters got a steep learning curve, the brushes themselves can be exceedingly overwhelming but once you figure out how the brush creator works, it will all sorta click for you and everthing will flow so much faster.

Good all around brushes are

pens: scratchboard tool; thick and thin. Scratbhoard Rake
    Blenders: Just add water
    Pallete knife: smeary pallette knife with resat set to 40
    Glow tool
    Oil pastel with resat 65 and well 75

If you create a pallette with just those brushes, your pretty much set and won't need anything else. Glow tool acts like a ps airbrush on a color dodge layer, but its extremely useful. Just add water a necessety for blending colors, and oil pastel is a popular choice for colorblocking and blending as you go. Just remember, figure out how the brush creator works, and your life will get so much easier.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Communist Cow: When first learning to draw, try and draw from life or from reference. You will learn so much more, and at a much faster rate!

Shit, actually - not just when starting out, I've been drawing a lot more from reference lately, and its paying off big time.

Sublimus on
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sublimus wrote: »
    Communist Cow: When first learning to draw, try and draw from life or from reference. You will learn so much more, and at a much faster rate!

Shit, actually - not just when starting out, I've been drawing a lot more from reference lately, and its paying off big time.

Ok thanks. Does this still hold true if you drawing cartoon-ish stuff?

IE would you just basically look at other cartoony drawings and try and copy them?

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    No

draw from real life- cartoons are stylized, and you need to understand the basics behind drawing before you can stylize it

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dee, I hope you're going to put some kind of shadow element back in. I've been oscillating between liking and disliking the white background, and without the shadow to make some kind of plane for him to be standing on, it's a solid dislike.

---

ProustKnife.jpg

ProustPersp.jpg

Time to study anatomy and do life drawings!

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, I would reiterate what Sublimus and Kazhiim said, and say draw from life, CommieCow. There's also stuff like Drawing from the Right Side of the Brain, which I think it's been mentioned is essentially an entire book dedicated to getting the point across to draw what you actually see, and not what you think you see.

A lot of people start off with pencils rather than pens, though I can't think of any compelling reasons why you'd need to, so I'll let other weigh in on that bit. I would, however, recommend a sketchbook, if for no other reason than that lined paper is thin and...well, lined.

As for more specific stuff, you've got the short quick stroke thing going on, which is pretty typical of beginners, and so which you should work on eliminating. If you look at some of the other drawings here, you'll see that even when you've got sketchy stuff with multiple strokes per contour, those strokes are often longer, and much looser. There's a sense here where drawing is a bit like learning how to dance or play an instrument; you've got to build a fluid control over the movements of your arm. So first off, use your arm, and not your wrist (or fingers) when drawing; the movements are more controlled. Second, loosen up, and that means everything; something I learned from cello is that tension in one part of the body (like, say, the fingers of your drawing hand) lead to tension in many other parts (like the aformentioned arm), so loose grip, loose wrist, loose arm. Third, build up some coordination between your eye and your arm so that you have more control over that longer line your arm should be drawing; best way of doing that: blind contour. Draw your free hand, slowly, paying attention to each subtle nuance in the contour, and (here's the catch) without looking at the paper. Even once. It will look super shitty and near unrecognizable, I promise you. But you will be practicing following contours and shapes with your eye, and translating that into movements of your arm, and you will be a better draughtsman for it. Which, in most cases, leads to better artist.

crawdaddio on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    There goes Crawdaddio again with his genuine helpful nature.

Tam on
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thanks, DeeLock! I agree with Toji though that your figure looks kind of strange so dramatically lit against a white background.

I also made a panda:

panda.jpg

lyrium on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    Was playing around and reworked some older D&D character sketches in pencil this weekend:

dragonborn_warforged1.jpg

DMAC on
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That is a Dragonborn, and a Warforged. They are well done.

F87 on
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    There goes Crawdaddio again with his genuine helpful nature.

I know I should like kick him in the shins....or send him milk and cookies. I'm not sure which. ;)

Thanks for the advice lovely crustacean!

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    lyrium wrote: »
    Thanks, DeeLock! I agree with Toji though that your figure looks kind of strange so dramatically lit against a white background.

I also made a panda:

panda.jpg

I think this is wonderful

wooooooork in progress

wipcrow.jpg

Definitely looks more like some sort of black robin than a crow, but I've been working on it for two hours and it is time for a lake break. LAKE BREAK.

Vann Diras on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    DMAC wrote: »
    Was playing around and reworked some older D&D character sketches in pencil this weekend:

dragonborn_warforged1.jpg

Have you ever posted any tutorials, DMAC? I couldn't find any on your site.

NibCrom on
    edited February 2009
    F87 wrote: »
    That is a Dragonborn, and a Warforged. They are well done.

NERD!

DMAC on
    edited February 2009
    NibCrom wrote: »
    Have you ever posted any tutorials, DMAC? I couldn't find any on your site.

Not really. What kind of stuff would you be interested in? I've had a few requests lately. I could show how I do digital coloring but doing a tutorial on pencil drawing is kind of hard.

DMAC on
    edited February 2009
    I guess I'm curious about your drawings done in the style that you just posted. Is it just pencils enhanced in Photoshop? Although if you ever found the time to do a coloring tutorial I would totally read that. :)

NibCrom on
  • ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm off to class, but getting the subject of my submission to the poster challenge thingy wrapped up. Lots more to do but figure now's a good a chance as any to snag some crits since I'm off to school. No real refs as usual so there's probably plenty of things that could be fixed.

sssp.jpg

He is a reverse centaur. He will be fighting Hitler. Robot hitler. I must finish this tonight. ;D

Shiboe on
    edited February 2009
    NibCrom wrote: »
    I guess I'm curious about your drawings done in the style that you just posted. Is it just pencils enhanced in Photoshop? Although if you ever found the time to do a coloring tutorial I would totally read that. :)

Yeah, just pencils scanned into Photoshop with the levels adjusted slightly. Like I said, it would be kind of a hard thing to do a tutorial for. It's really just a matter of building up shading. I could probably scan a piece in stages as I'm working to show my process.

DMAC on
    edited February 2009
    Is the red hue just from adjusting levels?

NibCrom on
    edited February 2009
    It actually starts out redder. I do most of my pencil drawings using Col-Erase colored pencils in a "Tuscan Red" color and then tone it down in Photoshop.

This actually gives a better idea of the original unmodified look of my pencil drawings before I do any adjustment:

http://d-mac.deviantart.com/art/Original-Pencil-Art-For-Sale-76666116

DMAC on
    edited February 2009
    Thanks for the info, sir. Thems good pencil drawings!

Actually, I remember you kind of doing a tutorial a few years back with that dragon in your signature. Pencil drawing with overlayed colors or the original scan multiplied onto the colors? Is that still your technique?

NibCrom on
    edited February 2009
    Pretty much. I usually set my final layers something like:

Duplicate of the color layer set to "Color" at about 60% to tint the pencils
    ___

Pencil layer set to "Multiply"

___

Color layer

DMAC on
    edited February 2009
    more work

Crow.jpg

I have no idea what I'm even doing anymore. though I fixed up the crow a little and am just a smidge happier with it

Vann Diras on
    edited February 2009
    You want to try varying values or color there, Vann

PS froze on me, and so I had to do a screencap and that's why there's a brush outline in the middle of the fucking picture

n35dfn.jpg

edit: yeah and all that work is gone

fucking shit

Tam on
  • crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    That really sucks, man; that thing was looking awesome...:/

crawdaddio on
  • Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    yeah, I really like the rendering on that one tam. the sketchiness of the drawing is also sweet. shame that PS lost it

Asamof the Horrible on
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Just take that screencap, enlarge it, and continue to work on it. I've had to do the same thing with a couple of my pictures and it works just as well.

wakkawa on
    edited February 2009
    I can scan the lineart again, so I'll do that when I get the chance.

Tam on
    edited February 2009
    Tam, what kind of brush do you use to get that nice paint texture?

Vann Diras on
    edited February 2009
    Doesn't really matter. It's just painting over one tone with another over and over again with opacity set to pen pressure.

Tam on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    DOODLES!!!!!!!

2i8gchs.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
    edited February 2009
    do I see a bit of Conan o' Brien there

I think I do

Vann Diras on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    WCK has an obsession with Conan, Jay Leno and Michael Jackson, not necessarily in that order. But if he could invite 3 people to dinner I'm guessing it would be them.

Mustang on
  • ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    WCK: I like that you are working on your lines. They are getting smoother and more confident, keep at it man!

Still in progress, got a few more hours, yes?
    sss.jpg

Shiboe on
  • acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Might want to add some swastikas or something to that Robot Hitler. Otherwise it's hard to identify him as such.

acadia on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Shiboe wrote: »
    WCK: I like that you are working on your lines. They are getting smoother and more confident, keep at it man!

Thanks. The Guile pic in particular shows more confident lines. I think my mistakes are more visable now. Which is good because now i know where exactly i need to improve.
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    do I see a bit of Conan o' Brien there
    I think I do

You're absolutely correct. I draw while watching Late Night so i can help but do doodles of him.
    Mustang wrote: »
    WCK has an obsession with Conan, Jay Leno and Michael Jackson, not necessarily in that order. But if he could invite 3 people to dinner I'm guessing it would be them.

It's like you personally know me :)
    BTW my folks are goin to Vegas this year at the same time Leno is performing stand up. i'm trying to get them to take a small painting over there and get him to sign it:) I'm sounding like an obsessed 12 year old Miley fan!

winter_combat_knight on
    edited February 2009
    bleugh

Leaf mass is all that's left and I have a sinking feeling it's going to be the hardest part

102m8ag.jpg

Tam on
  • anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    Leaf mass is all that's left and I have a sinking feeling it's going to be the hardest part

I have no idea what this assignment is, but as a piece of concept art, I absolutely love the idea/execution.

anable on
    edited February 2009
    This just an idea/reprieve from schoolwork, anable

thanks to everyone who commented on the lost version

qq8g3b.jpg

Tam on
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That is a really cool creature, Tam.

lyrium on
This discussion has been closed.