As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Walk this way, [Chat] this way! Just gimme a kiss.

• CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Betelgeuse wrote: »
    Simpsons quote, bro! This has got nothing to do with W.

Also a Star Trek IV (the one with the whales) reference up there.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    By the way, I rented and watched Blade Runner, mostly out of a horrible gut wrenching guilt and shame. Movie was awesome.

Kochikens on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Blade Runner = awesome

W. = not so awesome

Forgetting Sarah Marshall = pretty damn funny

earthwormadam on
  • Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I finally got around to seeing Oldboy. Wish I would have done so sooner.

Also, that hallway fight scene + music was brutal and amazing.

Edit: this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OzB-mop6AA

Uncle Long on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Kochikens wrote: »
    By the way, I rented and watched Blade Runner, mostly out of a horrible gut wrenching guilt and shame. Movie was awesome.

Theatrical Cut?
    International Cut?
    Director's Cut?
    Final Cut?

NibCrom on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i always feel a little bad when i have to admit to people that i really haven't seen that many movies
    like very very few
    i'm not a movie watching person
    but some of the really big ones surprise people since they're like...everywhere all of the time
    for example, i've never seen the original star wars movies
    just the new three. and i didn't even really pay attention while i was watching those.

edit: i've seen a lot of animated movies though, i should toss that in there.

beavotron on
  • BetelgeuseBetelgeuse Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Don't worry beavo, I am in the same boat as you. There are a lot of movies I haven't seen, and to make things worse I never remember anything about the movies I have seen. Seriously my movie memory is atrocious.

Betelgeuse on
    edited February 2009
    Let's see if you are worse than my new co-worker.

Have you seen...

Jaws? Back to the Future? Aliens? Raiders of the Lost Ark? The Godfather? American Graffiti?

NibCrom on
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I was actually referencing Futurama referencing Star Trek IV.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    oh man

the student newspaper called the curator about covering the (student) show i'm in, and they spent quite a bit of time talking about my piece

also i had my critique of my in-progress zombie painting, and i'm really optimistic. i'll post pictures tomorrow or wednesday.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    NibCrom wrote: »

Have you seen...

Jaws? Back to the Future? Aliens? Raiders of the Lost Ark? The Godfather? American Graffiti?

jaws: yes
    back to the future: yes
    aliens: only recently
    raiders: yes
    godfather: no
    american graffiti: no

i find it weird that people base another person's merit on whether or not they've seen such cinematic masterpieces as "aliens"

beavotron on
  • crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    I've watched a lot of movies, which makes it all the more startling to people when I say I've never seen any of the Godfather movies.

crawdaddio on
    edited February 2009
    Don't take it personally, I judge everyone. :)

As far as Aliens goes, that movie is awesome and hugely influential. Sigourney Weaver even got nominated for an Oscar for it!

Edit: And just to be clear, I was simply naming some fairly well-known movies, not necessarily what I think is the best.

NibCrom on
    edited February 2009
    beavotron wrote: »

Have you seen...

i find it weird that people base another person's merit on whether or not they've seen such cinematic masterpieces as "aliens"

You don't think Aliens is a masterpiece?

Six on
    edited February 2009
    crawdaddio wrote: »
    I've watched a lot of movies, which makes it all the more startling to people when I say I've never seen any of the Godfather movies.

I only just saw that recently, and to be totally honest, even though it probably has the best cast ever in a film, it's very long, and I'll probably get shot for this, but it's a tad boring.

NibCrom on
  • srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've seen over 1600 movies.

And watched in full succession probably around 40 television series, if not more.

And read through the archives of like 20 online comics and keep up on like 10 every week.

And spend copious amounts of time on the internet.

And I'm still a pretty successful fellow.

So I guess I just want to give the finger to those kinds of parents that are like "Don't let your kids watch too much TV and play too many video games."
    It's human nature. If you aren't a part of our herd, we want to ostracize you.

It's not a serious judgment of character. It's just weird, and makes me wonder why. I mean, I guess some people ride bikes instead of watch a movie or play video games, but that just seems so much less productive aside from keeping your heart healthy so you live a little longer. I'd rather have the experience of a film or anything than just another bike ride that I'll forget the moment it's over.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    beavotron wrote:

It's a lot easier to appreciate Aliens after seeing Alien Resurrection.

ed: Please do not see Alien Resurrection.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
    edited February 2009
    Protip: Making the "'just friends' spooning" Futurama reference to someone who's never seen Futurama may not go over as well as intended.

Six on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Six wrote: »
    Protip: Making the "'just friends' spooning" Futurama reference to someone who's never seen Futurama may not go over as well as intended.

hahahaha

That's why you use the ones that work outside the context of the show. I used "Man, that guy's so fast, he makes Speedy Gonzales look like regular Gonzales." at a math event, for instance.

Tam on
    edited February 2009
    Tam wrote: »

hahahaha

That's why you use the ones that work outside the context of the show. I used "Man, that guy's so fast, he makes Speedy Gonzales look like regular Gonzales." at a math event, for instance.

I knew it wouldn't likely fly, but it was funny enough to me that I went with it anyway.

Six on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yay! I'm finally getting to meet with the Career Services lady in the Games Department. Tomorrow, too!

She's gunna look over ma portfoliote and give me advice! And help me with my resume! And everything! :D:D:D I'm excited!

I imagine she really knows her stuff - she's one of the major contacts between the game/animation companies and SCAD, it seems. She talks with everybody!

Excitings!

NightDragon on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    good luck, ND!

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited February 2009
    let's hope she doesn't give you the run around like the other lady

Tam on
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

I was actually referencing Futurama referencing Star Trek IV.

Nested references are not allowed 'round these parts.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    edited February 2009
    Yay! I'm finally getting to meet with the Career Services lady in the Games Department. Tomorrow, too!

She's gunna look over ma portfoliote and give me advice! And help me with my resume! And everything! :D:D:D I'm excited!

I imagine she really knows her stuff - she's one of the major contacts between the game/animation companies and SCAD, it seems. She talks with everybody!

Excitings!

I got SCAD from my ex-girlfriend.

NibCrom on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I got SCAD from my ex-girlfriend.

Some comedian girl who came to our school made that joke.

NightDragon on
    edited February 2009
    She stole it from me I assure you.

NibCrom on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    One week till Japan. From Tokyo to Okinawa in 2 weeks!

MagicToaster on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    beavotron wrote: »

Have you seen...

You don't think Aliens is a masterpiece?

The Third Man is a masterpiece.

Aliens is just a really good movie.

NotASenator on
    edited February 2009
    I though Orson Welles was much better in The Transformers: The Movie.

NibCrom on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm obsessed with movies, I have an 8 foot by 6 foot shelf packed with DVD's. We're I to be given another chance at life I would probably pursue some kind of directing/cinematography career.

Mustang on
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

How did you get the bright red? I've spent some time researching how to get a red patina on copper and I'm not sure which method would work best. The texture and shape of the vessel are fabulous, by the way.

Heat patina will usually do it. Experiment with temperatures/times. It will be more of an iridescent red.

That patina I did was essentially a type of heat patina. The piece you are wanting to patina is heated on the opposite side from where you wish the brightest red to show. You heat it to a dull red/orange heat depending on the desired effect. It is then IMMEDIATELY (very important) quenched in violently boiling water. I mean...have the water boiling 5 inches away from where you are heating your piece. It is imperative that it loses as little heat during the transfer as possible. Leave it in there until it is the same temperature as the water, remove, rinse in cold water, and let air dry before waxing the surface.

Lead acetate based patinas work, as well, but are extremely toxic.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • BetelgeuseBetelgeuse Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Awesome. In all my researching I never came across this particular technique. I'll be sure to give it a shot sometime; thanks for typing it all up.

Betelgeuse on
    edited February 2009
    God dammit, the first time in three weeks I get to sit down and draw and PS freezes on me

Tam on
  • LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I remember watching a movie once

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited February 2009
    After-school specials don't count.

earthwormadam on
    edited February 2009
    Damn actually it was during summer school, the teacer was like ehhhh your all failures either way. Just watch this random movie, and then we all whent yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy.

Edit: Oh yes english summer school who would guess that I had to take summer school english. Also in current english I have a essay that I have to write and the subject matter is "What inspired you to <Insert what you wanted to do>" it was my BURNING HATRED!!!!!!

Loomdun on
    splat
  • crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Loomdun wrote: »
    Damn; actually, it was during summer school. The teacher was like, "Ehhhh, you're all failures either way. Just watch this random movie," and then we all w[strike]h[/strike]ent, "yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy!"

Edit: Oh yes, English summer school--who would guess that I had to take summer school English? Also, in current English I have an essay that I have to write, and the subject [strike]matter[/strike] is, "What inspired you to <Insert what you wanted to do>?" It was my BURNING HATRED!!!!!!

crawdaddio on
    edited February 2009
    yes obviously no reason as to why I had to take summer school english at all.

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited February 2009
    The weird thing is, my mind all kinda automatically fills that stuff in after reading Loomdun for so long.

earthwormadam on
This discussion has been closed.