As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Jake's art dump (updated 24.02.09) Alice in wonderland

2»

• Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hey look, I apologise if i came off "dickish" but you weren't exactly being clear. You presented the work standing alone so that's how I took it. I dig that the photos are intended to compliment the written word now. Makes sense.

And I agree that my suggestions were hardly high art, but it's not childish or silly to suggest that you look beyond your subjects to convey the basic emotion of the shot when your subjects are doing a shitty job. Semiotics and art direction are not unimportant when you're being conceptual like this. As a perfect stranger with no relationship to you or any of your subjects and with no access to the accompanying blurbs find it incredibly difficult to figure out who dislikes what in some of these shots.

Given that these photos are utterly staged, the failure to convey this basic element in some of these shots falls squarely upon you. Now you're saying it's not important because the written word is doing that instead. The placement in the gallery will inform the viewer. That's fine. All I'm saying is that some of the shots are really unsuccessful at describing someone engaging with their least or most favourite thing. If it was never your intent for your photos to describe these things, then my bad, and I'm sorry for harping on about it.

Also, I'd like to say I really love all the other stuff in the thread, and if I didn't know what these photos were trying to achieve I'd say they're really great and full of character.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You're saying it's a failure because you think they need to be obvious. I'm saying that it's a subtle relationship and one that I'm not going to ham up. That's a difference of opinion, which you can call a failure if you like but try this; go and ask someone to go into their house and bring out their least favourite possession. They're not going to hate it, largely they'll be indifferent about it, some will even just like it a little less than their other possessions.

I talked to each person to find out how they relate to their objects, and never once was it hate*. The girl on the textured background for instance can't each chocolate any-more but would like to and has been given the rabbit. So I went for the shot where she has her back turned to it, facing away and arm outstretched but with the rabbit still facing her, hand on hips, flat faced but almost smiling.

Like I say, if it fails in your eyes that's your opinion and I respect that it's yours to have, but it doesn't mean I have to agree or not expand on what I'm doing to see if I can't change your mind.

*I can see where this preconception comes from though, as it's one I had myself when I started.

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    A new illustration, a birthday card for a friend;

fiona.jpg

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    _swirl.jpg

handtree.jpg

A friend of mine is putting on an exhibition about trees, and these are my contributions (as well as some photo's I've already put up in the photo thread). Both are a bit rushed unfortunately, but I'm fairly pleased.

Jake! on
  • Options
    Castle_BuilderCastle_Builder regular
    edited November 2008
    Problem with photo journalism is that it generally takes place in non staged settings.

For these pictures there really are no stories being told other then people acting like "ZOMG IM INA PICTURE!!!" **smilez**

Only a couple stand out as even remotely interesting.

Though I think the idea has a lot of merit and could be extremely interesting I think at the moment its just an average collection of college pictures of friends that are trying on crap before they toss it out or switch apartments.

Castle_Builder on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Where photo journalism takes place depends on the type of photo journalism, in the same way that an interview might be conducted on a street, or in a studio.

Also, I was hoping for feedback on the new stuff from someone, rather than the resident troll going over old photographs. :P

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    lamp.jpg

spaceman.png

So I've decided to update the lamp from the first page. This is where it's at currently. I think the helmet wil be red, although I need to think about it a bit more. The feet aren't done by the way!

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    and a little more

Picture123.png

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Just in case anyone ever looks in this thread, artwork for a band night.

hatter4.jpg

Jake! on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    New stuff is great Jake.

Is that the net there? Can I print that out?

Tam on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Do you have illustrator?

Jake! on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    No, I do not, but my school's computer lab does.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    no problem, pm your email and I'll send a pdf. You'll need thick A3 paper, 9 sheets I think.

Jake! on