As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

computer Halp!

Limp mooseLimp moose Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
so over the past 6 months I have noticed a serious downgrade in performance on my alienware laptop.

the last time I logged into wow I could barely move.
When I play team fortress 2 it lags.
Itunes skips.

What is the deal. Overall the processing power just seems slow and sluggish. I did a virus scan with multiple adware finders and a hijack this. it is not malicious code. Wut is goin on.

I caught a nasty virus about a month ago but with your guys is help killed it. I got avast anti virus to prevent another attack but that had a process that used 100% of my cpu I got rid of it but still lag a bit. Trying to figure out what gives.

is there a hard ware component that might have failed?

Limp moose on

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Limp moose wrote: »
    so over the past 6 months I have noticed a serious downgrade in performance on my alienware laptop.

the last time I logged into wow I could barely move.
    When I play team fortress 2 it lags.
    Itunes skips.

What is the deal. Overall the processing power just seems slow and sluggish. I did a virus scan with multiple adware finders and a hijack this. it is not malicious code. Wut is goin on.

I caught a nasty virus about a month ago but with your guys is help killed it. I got avast anti virus to prevent another attack but that had a process that used 100% of my cpu I got rid of it but still lag a bit. Trying to figure out what gives.

is there a hard ware component that might have failed?

probably not a hardware issue. also, probably not dust buildup since its a laptop.

try running your task manager and then end process all programs that are unnecissary. also, you might want to try defragging your hard drive and doing a disk cleanup to get rid of unneeded files.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    theclamtheclam Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Slowly degrading performance is almost always one of these:
    -Failing Hard Drive
    Start -> Run -> cmd
    Type chkdsk c: /r/f
    Press enter. If your hard drive is bad, this scan will likely throw up a bunch of error messages. This can take a few hours. You have to replace the hard drive to fix this.

-Overheating
    Download and run speedfan. Running at temperatures above ~65-70C is seriously bad. You can try blowing dust out, but it might be a failing fan (in which case, the computer has to be opened up; you probably don't want to do this yourself).

-Too many running programs
    Start, Run, msconfig
    Under the startup tab, disable everything except anti-virus. Reboot.

-Spyware/Virus

theclam on
    rez_guy.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    theclam wrote: »
    Slowly degrading performance is almost always one of these:
    -Failing Hard Drive
    Start -> Run -> cmd
    Type chkdsk c: /r/f
    Press enter. If your hard drive is bad, this scan will likely throw up a bunch of error messages. This can take a few hours. You have to replace the hard drive to fix this.

-Overheating
    Download and run speedfan. Running at temperatures above ~65-70C is seriously bad. You can try blowing dust out, but it might be a failing fan (in which case, the computer has to be opened up; you probably don't want to do this yourself).

-Too many running programs
    Start, Run, msconfig
    Under the startup tab, disable everything except anti-virus. Reboot.

-Spyware/Virus

YIKES speed fan has my core temp at almost 80

WHAT CAN I DO TO COOL THIS DOWN! (my laptop has always been hot as fuck.)

Almost every temp is over 70

Limp moose on
  • Options
    echolocationecholocation Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Put it in the freezer.

no but seriously, it depends on a lot of things.

-How are you holding your laptop?
    If you have your laptop on your lap, your pant fabric can actually close some of the air vents and thus not allow enough air circulation, causing the laptop to become overheated.

-How many programs are you running?
    Press Ctrl + Alt + Del and go to processes, see how many are being done. If you're using too many programs, this causes an overusage of both the RAM and your processor, the more it's used, the more heat it generates.

-How long ago did you get it?
    If you got it a couple years back, there might be a large build-up of dust you mgiht want to get rid of. I don't reccomend doing this yourself, opening it often viods warranties. Try taking it back to where you got it or Best Buy or the like and have a staff open it and clean it for you.

-How long has it been since you reformmated?
    Have you reformmated ever? Try this: Save your C:/ Drive, or at least whatever files you want to keep on an external harddrive (Yes, get one, they're cheap and give you up to an extra TB of space) and reformat completely. This can get rid of any programs you no longer use but may still run on start-up, as well it might get rid of any remnants of a virus.

Good luck getting that temperature down!

echolocation on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Speed fan has brought the core temp down from 80 to 74 I also moved some stuff around on my desk and elevated the lap top for better ventilation.

I hope no permanent damage was done.

I got it 2 years ago. I am pretty good about processes and programs running. There has never been a need for me to reformat it so I haven't ever. I usually only run like 10-12 user processes and 20 or so system processes.

Limp moose on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Limp moose wrote: »
    Speed fan has brought the core temp down from 80 to 74 I also moved some stuff around on my desk and elevated the lap top for better ventilation.

I hope no permanent damage was done.

That might also be the case, you might have some damage done to the processor and video card from that much heat. Me? I'd get it looked at just in case.

echolocation on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    hmm i just flipped it over and there is some greasy residue near one of the vents and what looks like bronzish metalic inside one of the vents.

that can not be good.

Limp moose on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    where is a good place to get it looked at and around what price should I be looking?

I feel like best buy would rip me off here.

I purchased online direct from alien ware any warranty Is long since expired. I didn't get any kind of extended care package.

Limp moose on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Erm, what area are you in?

echolocation on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    according to the nvidea self diagnostic my video cards (dual cards) are both healthy.

Not sure how to check the processor.

Limp moose on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    jax florida

Limp moose on
  • Options
    theclamtheclam Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Get a can of compressed air and blow strongly into every vent. Since your warranty is expired, you could try opening it up and checking for dust bunnies. You can also buy laptop ventilation pads.

Something like this (although I have no idea how good this one is):
    http://www.amazon.com/Antec-NOTEBOOK-COOLER-USB-Powered-Notebook/dp/B0000BVYTV/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1235449741&sr=8-1

theclam on
    rez_guy.png
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    theclam wrote: »
    Get a can of compressed air and blow strongly into every vent. Since your warranty is expired, you could try opening it up and checking for dust bunnies. You can also buy laptop ventilation pads.

Something like this (although I have no idea how good this one is):
    http://www.amazon.com/Antec-NOTEBOOK-COOLER-USB-Powered-Notebook/dp/B0000BVYTV/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1235449741&sr=8-1

don't open it up. aside from the fan, the rest of the laptop is not likely to have dust in it. also, its not easy and if you break something, it will be hard to replace. just don't even try. if anything go see a local computer repair shop and ask them to replace the fan.

but if you want to cool down your laptop, buy one of those cooling pads. the work great but make your laptop less portable.

Dunadan019 on