As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Magical Mystery Tour 2009! Early discussion and evaluation!

• Frightfully EnglishFrightfully English Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    if you wanted it to be a surprise why would you post about it in the forums?

Because people on the CCST can't read? :P

Don't suppose there's any chance we could see an American Football or an Ice Hockey game? I've no idea if it's the right time of year for the season or if Seattle even has teams for those sports, but I've enjoyed watching them on the rare occasion they're televised in the UK. Definitely on my to-do list for America.

Frightfully English on
  • Rogue_hunterRogue_hunter Breaks Through Brick Walls Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hockey won't be in season, and football would be pre-season, with the game on Friday night. I don't think anyone will be ditching PAX or the concerts for a pre-season game. The only sporting event looks to be the Mariners baseball game, though that's on Wednesday afternoon/evening.

I will probably be going to the game because the Angels will be playing, and it's the last game of the home stand. It'd be nice to have a group of people, but it's not entirely important one way or the other (for me).

Rogue_hunter on
    PlayStation Network: Rogue_hunter
    Steam: Rogue_hunter
    Games for Windows Live: Roguality
    Google+
    Twitter
  • eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    emorimiku wrote: »
    if you wanted it to be a surprise why would you post about it in the forums?

To throw them off. Now they have no idea if I'm serious or not. We might just put out the cardboard greeting party and leave, then they'll be expecting us to pop out and we won't!

THEY WON'T KNOW UNTIL IT HAPPENS

eye-shuh on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So, as we speak (just to update you), Nomad is coming up with a really great list of potential new locations to see in Seattle this time around! =)

I think she's still working on it. Feel free to post it up here for a bit o' pre-discussion when you feel it's ready! =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This is what my feet hurt all PAX. Then again if I didn't do this, I'm sure the first day of PAX would have done the same thing to me. I think I need to get out more. Like, by going to MMT 09! Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited February 2009
    WOOOT! =)

VThornheart on
  • MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ok everyone, here is the potential/unofficial/incomplete list of possible locations.

DISCUSS!

Also remember, it's up to YOU where we go! So, if anything on this list sounds awesome/lame or if there is something you'd love to do that's not on here yet, just let us know!
    MMT Potential Locations:

EMP/Sci Fi Museum (I think you went last year?)
    Cost: $15
    http://www.frommers.com/destinations/seattle/A26439.html
    http://www.empsfm.org/

Ballard Locks:
    Locks connect Puget Sound and Lake Washington, also has salmon/fish ladders for fish to get back/forth
    http://www.frommers.com/destinations/seattle/A32252.html

Pike Place:
    Open-air fish and vegetable market with lots of shopping (and doughnuts). Also the site of the first Starbucks (yaaay…)
    Cost: free
    http://www.frommers.com/destinations/seattle/A20868.html

MOHAI: (Museum of History and Industry)
    Museum detailing the history of Seattle and the Puget Sound Region (sounds cool!)
    Cost: First Thursday, Sept. 3: Free Admission, otherwise $7
    http://www.frommers.com/destinations/seattle/A20882.html
    http://www.seattlehistory.org/

Wing Luke Asian Art Museum:
    Asian art displays and artifacts, showcasing special/traveling exhibits
    Cost: First Thursday, Sept. 3: Free Admission,
    http://www.wingluke.org/

Space Needle:
    Created for the 1962 World’s Fair, views of Seattle.
    Cost: $16 (possibly less with passes or group rates?)
    http://www.frommers.com/destinations/seattle/A20871.html
    http://www.spaceneedle.com/

Seattle Aquarium:
    An aquarium! In Seattle!
    Cost: $16 (possibly less with passes or group rates)
    http://www.frommers.com/destinations/seattle/A20865.html
    http://www.seattleaquarium.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=183

GasWorks or Alki (west seattle) Parks:
    We could stop at one of these for lunch

Kubota garden (Japanese Garden)
    20-acre park with traditional gardens and waterfalls/ponds, etc.
    http://www.frommers.com/destinations/seattle/A32255.html
    http://www.kubota.org/

Seattle Center/Pac. Sci. Center/Fountain/… :
    Cost: depends; grounds and fountain are free. Pacific Science Center is $11 (+/- with group rates/passes)
    http://www.seattlecenter.com/

Seattle Underground Tour (Pioneer Square):
    A subterranean tour of the old streets of Seattle, with additional history of Seattle.
    In my opinion: this tour is more expensive than it should be, but it’s the only way to get underground. Although, I’ve heard that MOHAI has a replica of the streets as they used to be, and I suppose it depends on whether or not people actually want to get beneath the streets to see what’s down there. It’s ok, but, $$$. As an alternative, there are plenty of walking tour routes through Pioneer Square and/or I’d be happy to give the tour again!
    Cost: $15 +/-
    http://www.undergroundtour.com/

Other random places or stops we could make:

Fremont Walking tour: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/seattle/0032020035.html

AWESOME Ferry boat tour of Lake Union:
    Cost: $11 for 1-hour ride, $3-5 for ice cream floats, hot chocolate.
    Only operates on Sundays (maybe we could tack this on if people wanted to take a break on Sunday afternoon)
    http://www.seattleferryservice.com/

Monorail: http://www.seattlemonorail.com/index.php

Lenin statue in Fremont, Fremont Troll, Curiosity Shoppe,…

Over 21??? Brewery/Winery tour(s)?? Pioneer Square
    http://www.seattle.com/nightlife/

MetaverseNomad on
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I won't be there D:, but I will be at the Boston PAX :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I loved the aquarium, and the sci-fi museum - that surprised me, I thought I'd be bored, but it was one of my favourite places. Pike Street Market was good, me and Lewie went a couple of times. The Boeing factory was interesting (partly because of the strike!), but i think I'd have preferred the museum of flight.

I'm envious of you all, and am really looking forward to Boston.
    xxx

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • AzazelAzazel Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I hear GasWorks is 5 minutes from Azazel's place.

Azazel on
    edited February 2009
    Azazel wrote: »
    I hear GasWorks is 5 minutes from Azazel's place.

So you can make us all smoothies while we picnic at GasWorks!

MetaverseNomad on
    edited February 2009
    I won't be there D:, but I will be at the Boston PAX :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I loved the aquarium, and the sci-fi museum - that surprised me, I thought I'd be bored, but it was one of my favourite places. Pike Street Market was good, me and Lewie went a couple of times. The Boeing factory was interesting (partly because of the strike!), but i think I'd have preferred the museum of flight.

I'm envious of you all, and am really looking forward to Boston.
    xxx

Awww LPM! I wish you could make it this year! But at least we'll see you in Boston! :D

MetaverseNomad on
    edited February 2009
    LPM, we will miss you and LewieP! =( =( But I'll make sure you guys have a BLAST in Boston... and I'm keeping my eye out for UK contests in case we can get you over here!

VThornheart on
  • DMmagicDMmagic PAX East Enforcer Springfield, MO, USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'll be getting into Seattle on Wednesday morning. The current flight I'm looking at arrives around 10:30 a.m., so I would need time to debark and then take my luggage to the hotel, wherever that will be (I plan to stay at one of the official conference hotels, so it should be easy to find, right?).

So, yeah, I'm in :-) Private message away!

DMmagic on
  • Queen BrewerQueen Brewer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Woohoo! I'm psyched to go on the MMT again! Unfortunately, I'll probably miss all but the late afternoon/evening of the first day, because of school. They had to put PAX after school starts this year >.< Luckily, I'm skipping my school retreat for PAX so should be on the tour all day Thursday.

I loved pretty much everything last year, so, I won't answer the questions now.

@LPM, I miss you! Too bad you can't make it now, but I'll try to make it to PAX East Coast 2010 and see you there.

UPDATED Info

* # of people you're bringing along: 3, S7arbuck, MeeOk, and Tayror.
    * Cell Phone Number: (206) 779-7884 (I'm not afraid, in fact, feel free to text me if any of you are bored, as long as you say who you are in your first text :P)
    * E-Mail address: alexbrewer@gmail.com
    * Days attending: (Say Wednesday, Thursday, or both) Wednesday after 3pm, All of Thursday.
    * Special Instructions: As I said, I'll be able to join up after 3pm on Wednesday.
    * (FOR DRIVERS)
    * Can you Drive (Y/N): Oh yes, I can drive again.
    * How many free spots are available in your car (if you can drive): 1, after the 3 people I'm apparently bringing.
    * What does your car look like (Make/model/color)? Toyota Camry, White

This is going to be even better than last year!

Queen Brewer on
    <Moe_Fwacky> once i had next door neighbors
    <Moe_Fwacky> nice girls
    <Moe_Fwacky> lesbians
    <Moe_Fwacky> robbed drugstores together
    edited February 2009
    Oh, QB, you can PM that to me if you want! That way your Cell phone number isn't hanging out in the thread =) (Granted, the attendees will all get it when the tour itself goes on, but better that than on the general internet =) )

In other news, welcome guys, and welcome back QB! =)

VThornheart on
  • s7arbucks7arbuck Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    can you be my best friend?
    oh and you are bring myself and tayror around.

bring mee to the next thing.

META!!!!
    NOMAD!!!!
    screw slumdog

s7arbuck on
    edited February 2009
    So you're coming along for sure on the MMT this year then s7arbuck? Woot! =)

VThornheart on
  • MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think I'd like to go..

MeeOk on
    edited February 2009
    My OP is updated!

Queen Brewer on
    <Moe_Fwacky> nice girls
    <Moe_Fwacky> lesbians
    edited February 2009
    You should definitely come MeeOk! It'll be a blast, I promise! Last year was really fantastically fun, and I think this year's going to be much better even! =)

VThornheart on
  • Rogue_hunterRogue_hunter Breaks Through Brick Walls Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I would really like to go to this, but some of my friends are really becoming deadset on the Mariners game. I'd like to go, since it's the Angels playing. But, I really want to hang out with all the people and see stuff that I might not get to see some other time.

ARG, stupid friends!

Rogue_hunter on
    Google+
    Twitter
  • ashridahashridah Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I would really like to go to this, but some of my friends are really becoming deadset on the Mariners game. I'd like to go, since it's the Angels playing. But, I really want to hang out with all the people and see stuff that I might not get to see some other time.

ARG, stupid friends!

Does the Mariner's game take 2 days?
    There's no reason you can't do both, you'd just miss out on a part of the MMT (and you might have to juggle transportation a little ibt, depending on how the plan turns out)

ashridah on
  • CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm really interested in doing MMT once again, but am not sure about availability yet.

Just remember those forumers who are aspiring to be enforcers this year that the 2 days before PAX you're likely to be very busy, as some fo the current enforcers can attest to.

CuZZa on
    edited February 2009
    I'd drop MMT to be an enforcer, haha, but I don't turn 18 until a couple of weeks after this PAX, so barring some great luck, I won't be one until PAX EAST 2010.

Queen Brewer on
    <Moe_Fwacky> nice girls
    <Moe_Fwacky> lesbians
    edited February 2009
    That is indeed a good point CuZZa, you are correct. It's unfortunate but true.

Though even if you're an enforcer, you could still come on Day 1 (Wednesday)! =)

VThornheart on
    edited February 2009
    ashridah wrote: »

ARG, stupid friends!

Does the Mariner's game take 2 days?
    There's no reason you can't do both, you'd just miss out on a part of the MMT (and you might have to juggle transportation a little ibt, depending on how the plan turns out)

I'd like to do both, but even more of my friends are coming on Thursday and I have no idea what plans we'll have as a group until about June or July.

Basically, my friends want to monopolize all my time, but I really want to try to do some stuff with PAX forumers too.

Rogue_hunter on
    Google+
    Twitter
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2009
    tell them that if they want to hang out, they have to do the tour

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited February 2009
    Exactly! There's nothing to stop you from bringing them all along! =)

VThornheart on
    edited February 2009
    Shit, yeah, if they're out-of-towners, surely they'll be interested in doing the tour as well. Sell them on it. SELL IT TO THEM WITH ALL OF YOUR MIGHT!

ashridah on
    edited February 2009
    If they were to come along, this would probably bump the group up something like 50 more people appearing throughout the day on Thursday.
    I'll see what I can do, if they don't go for it, then I will likely ditch out to hang with the MMT.

Rogue_hunter on
    Google+
    Twitter
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, that'd be cool I think! =)

VThornheart on
    edited February 2009
    CuZZa wrote: »
    I'm really interested in doing MMT once again, but am not sure about availability yet.

Just remember those forumers who are aspiring to be enforcers this year that the 2 days before PAX you're likely to be very busy, as some fo the current enforcers can attest to.

I'm pretty torn about this..... help tour... become enforcer.... I don't know what to do!!! Although, I do know there is a huge number of great people who want to be and should be enforcers. Maybe I won't even make the cut!

I... I mean... THIS TOUR WILL BE THE GREATEST THING EVER!

MetaverseNomad on
  • SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The MMT is one of the things I enjoyed most about PAX '08, and one of the things I'm most looking forwards to for PAX '09. MMT '08 doubled my PAX time, and let me meet, and hang out with, so many awesome PAX people. Anything I can do to help this years MMT, I'm up for!

VT - I'll PM teh infoz here in a sec :D

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
    edited February 2009
    Oh, Nomad! You're our fearless leader, you can't leave us! Don't goooooo!

Also, yay Snickers! =) We had so much fun last year! This year's going to be great too (even if by proxy for me since I will be on the road at the time =) )

VThornheart on
  • MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have to start planning my pre-PAX stuff carefully. I must go on the pub crawl, and I'm going with Liger/CuZZa/Emorimiku/Macca (maybe?) on the last stretch of CCST. :\ Am I going to have time to go on this? Eeeef

MeeOk on
    edited February 2009
    MeeOk wrote: »
    I have to start planning my pre-PAX stuff carefully. I must go on the pub crawl, and I'm going with Liger/CuZZa/Emorimiku/Macca (maybe?) on the last stretch of CCST. :\ Am I going to have time to go on this? Eeeef

Cuzza did this last year. This basically meant that he had to get out to the other side of the washington mountains, and iirc, he wasn't around for the second day of the MMT at all. He was definitely around for the first.

ashridah on
    edited February 2009
    Oh, Nomad! You're our fearless leader, you can't leave us! Don't goooooo!

Also, yay Snickers! =) We had so much fun last year! This year's going to be great too (even if by proxy for me since I will be on the road at the time =) )

hahaha, don't worry! I will fearlessly lead! Maybe I can do both, and if not, I'll just do what I've been doing and help out unofficially at PAX!

MetaverseNomad on
    edited February 2009
    Woot! =)=)

VThornheart on
  • SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This thread is in danger of falling to the second page, so I figure it needs a bump! We also need more votes in this here poll.

I'm so looking forwards to the MMT nad PAX this year, its going to be epic!

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
    edited March 2009
    Sorry I haven't been around much lately guys, my day job's been a disaster lately and I'm pulling a night shift over at my friends' office trying to see if I can help them get this game ready before they run out of money. =( I'll be back into being active when we finally get this thing shipped.

VThornheart on
This discussion has been closed.