As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] PAX Cookie Brigade 2009: Sign Up Now!!

SergeantAuberieSergeantAuberie Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in PAX Archive
Calling all bakers!
n21425261_36755452_1865.jpg

It is that time of year, ladies and gentlemen. Okay, well, it may be several short months to PAX 09, but it's never too early to start dreaming, right?

What is the Cookie Brigade?
We are a group of PAX attendees that are going to bake cookies and bring them to PAX. For a donation to Child's Play, you can get a delicious home-made cookie from one of us to help make your waiting-in-line/panel-watching/swag-getting experience more tasty!

How much of donations will go to Child's Play?
All of them! We are doing this out of our love for baking and our adoration for what Child's Play is.

How do you get a cookie?
Look for people with Cookie Brigade buttons. We will generally try to hit up lines, but remember that we are also coming to PAX to have fun and will be attending events such as panels that we are interested in.

How do you get involved?
We are still looking for more people to help out! You can help in one of three ways:
1) Bake cookies and distribute them (for which you will get a sweet Cookie Brigade button)
2) Bake cookies and give them to us to hand out
3) Distribute cookies made by us and collect donations (also results in a button)
If you are interested in helping, please send SergeantAuberie a PM, and also visit our Google group: http://groups.google.com/group/cookiebrigade

ROSTER
Baking
Asiina
Cerrato0426
Circeramone
Hypatia
Iamconfidence
LaFemmeNaKitty
Arco
Kytarowolf
Danicia
JonXP
Poisyn
Chinnie
SlickShughes (bacon cookies?)
Teklanika

Distributing
VThornheart
Jules
Millislim

Both
Anngaricus (maybe?)
Chibidani (maybe? - definitely baking)
Crackgoblin (maybe?)
Nemaihne (distribute on train, handoff at PAX)
Samyel
SergeantAuberie
Shadow_Dancer (maybe?)
Kalaylajayla
Katharine_84f (caramels?)
Hypatia (maybe?)
Leeesher
Slifter

Last year, the Cookie Brigade raised $5400 for Child's Play! I am sure that we can raise that much and more this year! So, in the few short months before PAX 09, let's work on making the Cookie Brigade amazing!

SergeantAuberie on

• VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Let's do this like Brutus! =)

I'm probably not going to go *as* gung-ho as last year (where I spent every waking hour of the conference distributing), but I'll definitely reserve at least most of the day on Friday and Saturday to it. =)

And this year I have to make a box that I can actually turn into "covert" mode as needed... I welcome suggestions as to how I can turn my box into "cookie stealth" mode. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • SergeantAuberieSergeantAuberie Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Let's do this like Brutus! =)

I'm probably not going to go *as* gung-ho as last year (where I spent every waking hour of the conference distributing), but I'll definitely reserve at least most of the day on Friday and Saturday to it. =)

And this year I have to make a box that I can actually turn into "covert" mode as needed... I welcome suggestions as to how I can turn my box into "cookie stealth" mode. =)

Yay VT!

Cover it in stickers and swag.
    Seriously. Incognito.
    Drape a t-shirt here, a poster there...

SergeantAuberie on
    edited February 2009
    It's not a bad idea... though ideally, I'd like to make it so that, when the coast is clear, I can push a button or something and a big Cookie Brigade advertisement will cover it so people know to get cookies from me. That was my initial "dream design" when we first got back from PAX about how I might redesign it, but now that I've looked into it more I don't know if it's practical. =(

Indeed, the box may have to go completely covert this year... but it's too bad if it does, as the cookie brigade posters on it last year helped people to see it easily in the more open areas of the convention center...

VThornheart on
    edited February 2009
    It's not a bad idea... though ideally, I'd like to make it so that, when the coast is clear, I can push a button or something and a big Cookie Brigade advertisement will cover it so people know to get cookies from me. That was my initial "dream design" when we first got back from PAX about how I might redesign it, but now that I've looked into it more I don't know if it's practical. =(

Indeed, the box may have to go completely covert this year... but it's too bad if it does, as the cookie brigade posters on it last year helped people to see it easily in the more open areas of the convention center...

I am now envisioning a flap of cloth. On one side - gaming stuff, on the other side, Cookie Brigade stuff. Flip it one way to advertise, flip it another to go covert. Or, you could make a cover for your box that is strictly swag-ish, and then throw that over the box when you need to go covert.

Whatever you do, VT, I am sure your box will be awesome.

SergeantAuberie on
  • SamyelSamyel Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This is awesome and exciting--and about the right time of year to be reviving things, I think. I'll get the duster out and see if we can update the group site a bit.

Anyone interested in ressurecting monthly cookie challenges? Or other ideas for activity ramping up to August?

Samyel on
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
    edited February 2009
    Ahh, I like the flap idea! Hmm... I think I was overthinking it. The flap would probably work perfectly.

I had this vision of having some kind of electronic system where I'd push a button and it would morph - much like a transformer - into something less conspicuous. =)

VThornheart on
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Never ever ever stop doing the cookie brigade.

I don't want to know what PAX would be like without it.

parabola on
    edited February 2009
    =)=) You're too good to us Parabola =)

How's things going?

Hey! How about you?

> The Cookie Brigade is contacting you.
    > Your Response? (Y/N)

=)

VThornheart on
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Negative. Already had way too much to do at PAX. Which is disappointing because I make awesome cookies.

parabola on
  • Rogue_hunterRogue_hunter Breaks Through Brick Walls Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I was sad last year. I had heard about the awesome cookie brigade, but never encountered anyone selling the (presumably) delicious cookies. I hope to buy some this year.

Rogue_hunter on
    PlayStation Network: Rogue_hunter
    Steam: Rogue_hunter
    Games for Windows Live: Roguality
    Google+
    Twitter
    edited February 2009
    parabola wrote: »
    Negative. Already had way too much to do at PAX. Which is disappointing because I make awesome cookies.

parabola! That's what you can do then! I distribute cookies but I can't bake a cookie to save my life. We need people who're willing to make but not distribute cookies to keep people like me (who distribute but don't make) supplied! =) You should consider it! Other than hunting one of us down (which should be easy enough =) ), your obligation can be in a purely preparatory nature. =)

Also, Rogue_Hunter, out of curiosity... where did you spend the most time at PAX? I'm curious, because I think there may have been areas we didn't hit but should've.

I can't speak for everyone, but my main trolling ground was the expo hall and the skybridge/entrance to BYOPC area. Let us know where you usually hang out at, we can try to send people your way =)

VThornheart on
  • Rogue_hunterRogue_hunter Breaks Through Brick Walls Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I spent most of Saturday and Sunday at the expo floor, skybridge and BYOC/PC Freeplay area. It wouldn't be surprising if I saw some people, but didn't see any indication of Cookie Brigade. Also it probably wouldn't have been as noticeable because I wasn't part of the forums until after PAX, so I wouldn't have known where to look.

Rogue_hunter on
    Google+
    Twitter
    edited February 2009
    There were a whole bunch of cookie brigadiers, but in the scale of PAX, they kind of got swallowed up. This leads me to two conclusions.

1) Finding cookies at PAX is a rare and noble thing which should be taken with the same level of reverence as stumbling across a unicorn grazing in a sunny glade.

2) We need more brigadiers.

People who bake cookies do not necessarily have to be the ones to walk around with them. If you've got the time to bake cookies pre-PAX, you can pass them on to someone who gets a kick out of sharing them without having to eat into your tournament/game/shopping/LAN time. Conversely, if you're a lousy cook but want to participate, you can carry cookies someone else baked. Or you can do both.

Samyel on
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This will be my first PAX and so I think I'll be too busy trying to do EVERYTHING to actually hand out cookies, but I can bake a mean cookie and may be able to bring some.

Have people brought cookies on planes before? Do they hold up well if properly stored?

Asiina on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2009
    Are you sure customs is going to let you transport home-made cookies over international borders?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited February 2009
    Well I'll be busing over the border, not flying, so it should be easier in that sense. I'm sure people have brought baked goods between countries before. I will be flying from Ottawa to Vancouver though, so that's a pretty long haul for some cookies.

Then again maybe my cookies will be so delicious the border guards will steal them for their own.

Asiina on
    edited February 2009
    I wouldn't base all that on being sure that people have done it before. You should actually check and make sure that it is allowed. Back in 2007, one of the CCST cars from Canada had a bag of home-made beef jerky that got taken at the border (but they let him keep his 3 Liter bottle of rum).

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited February 2009
    I swear if I call border services and ask if I can bring cookies they will laugh in my face.

Asiina on
    edited February 2009
    Better than having them take your cookies away at the border, right?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Asiina wrote: »
    Have people brought cookies on planes before? Do they hold up well if properly stored?

I brought cookies on the plane last year and suffered only minor casualties, this time I'll probably pack them in a harder container.

Hypatia on
    edited February 2009
    I think that chewier cookies or candies (last year someone brought some awesome caramels) would travel a lot better than crispier or crunchier cookies.

Samyel on
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Better than having them take your cookies away at the border, right?

Is the Border Patrol going to "Toss your Cookies?"

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
    edited February 2009
    This will be my first PAX and so I think I'll be too busy trying to do EVERYTHING to actually hand out cookies, but I can bake a mean cookie and may be able to bring some.

To answer your original question - For PAX07, I traveled by plane. I put my cookies into two tins and buried the tins deep in my clothing. They held up well. Each tin was fully packed, though, so there wasn't much room for them to slide around and crumble.

I have since traveled via plane with 2 bottles of wine in my checked baggage. Just wrapped them in plastic and then in clothing and everything was intact when I got to my destination.

SergeantAuberie on
    edited February 2009
    As an aside, if your cookies DO break in transit, bring them (and dixie cups, if you can).

Cookie shooters were surprisingly popular once people got used to the concept of them... and it made for hilarious moments when people actually tried to "shoot" them. =)

VThornheart on
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I wholly recommend the bake and hand-off method.
    I get a bit nervous in crowds sometimes, so while I sold some in the initial opening line with two much more extroverted brigadiers who convinced me to go with them, I then handed those donations and the rest of the cookies off to VT, who did a marvelous job taking it from there. Since I was just waiting in line anyway, that initial distribution didn't eat into my PAX time at all, though.
    So it might be worth distributing for anyone not shy in person. It's a great ego boost to see your cookies directly helping Child's Play. :)

I brought cookies on the train last year. I used Tupperware to make sure they didn't get munched- although this year I'll use cheaper, tossable ones just in case.
    Also, I put a piece of waxed paper with a slice of white bread in it inside each box to make sure the cookies didn't go stale in the two days between baking and distributing. Thought that might be a tip worth mentioning since most of us are travelling.

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
    edited February 2009
    that bread idea is brilliant! =)

VThornheart on
    edited February 2009
    The slice of bread trick also works for brown sugar, just make sure you replace the bread once in a while.

Rogue_hunter on
    Google+
    Twitter
  • chibidanichibidani Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Aww yeah, Cookie Brigade! I'll definitely be making cookies again this year, but not sure how well distribution will go for me. I'll have a 5 month old with me, and possibly a 3 year old as well.

We should look into collection containers and ways of being identified that aren't super obvious (t-shirt, maybe?) really soon.
    I wouldn't base all that on being sure that people have done it before. You should actually check and make sure that it is allowed. Back in 2007, one of the CCST cars from Canada had a bag of home-made beef jerky that got taken at the border (but they let him keep his 3 Liter bottle of rum).

Moe, I came down from New Westminster, BC last year, and had absolutely no trouble bringing cookies across the border in my car. They were in the trunk with the rest of our luggage. Every time I cross the border, I get asked where I'm going and how long I'll be gone, and then I get to go through. It really isn't as painful as some people make it out to be.

chibidani on
    We are now gluten, dairy and corn free gamers!
    glutenfreegamer.blogspot.com
    edited February 2009
    Generally, the only things the Can/USA border cares about are a) produce, b) firewood, and c) you bringing a bunch of crap back into Canada to sell or vice versa.

I can't count how many times I've gone across (flying, by boat, bus or car) and the ONLY time I got flagged out was on my way back from last year's PAX. They didn't quite believe that I only had $30 of stuff to declare when I had a huge bag with me. The bag had $30 worth of cherry coke and payday bars. They were really friendly about it, told me about the guy before me who'd come across with a life-size Master Chief bust, and let me go only 20 minutes delayed.

I think if you explained the concept of the cookie brigade, they'd be delighted. However, you're very unlikely to be bothered about it. If you're really worried, maybe you can find a nice American brigadier who would be willing to accept your mailed cookies in advance.

Samyel on
    edited February 2009
    Ah, the T-Shirt is a good idea! I really like that!

It would be less conspicuous than, say, hauling a big box... and we could cover it up with a jacket.

That would be a brilliant idea! Then we could have much more covert cookie bags without suffering for want of advertising.

VThornheart on
  • HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Back in 2007, one of the CCST cars from Canada had a bag of home-made beef jerky that got taken at the border (but they let him keep his 3 Liter bottle of rum).

Wow.

You have no idea how hard I was laughing at this.

Highfire on
    edited February 2009
    chibidani wrote: »
    Aww yeah, Cookie Brigade! I'll definitely be making cookies again this year, but not sure how well distribution will go for me. I'll have a 5 month old with me, and possibly a 3 year old as well.

We should look into collection containers and ways of being identified that aren't super obvious (t-shirt, maybe?) really soon.

Moe, I came down from New Westminster, BC last year, and had absolutely no trouble bringing cookies across the border in my car. They were in the trunk with the rest of our luggage. Every time I cross the border, I get asked where I'm going and how long I'll be gone, and then I get to go through. It really isn't as painful as some people make it out to be.

I like the t-shirt idea. I also think it would be a good way of [covertly] advertising. Think about. Dreary convention employees + 50,000+ nerds with miscellaneous T-shirts? How many are they really going to read carefully [and take seriously]?

SergeantAuberie on
    edited February 2009
    True! And even if they do, how much easier is it to, say, pull your jacket over your shirt or zip it closed than, say, rig up some way for your giant cookie banner to roll itself up/hide itself? The shirt idea is definitely good, 100% good.

It won't be *as* obvious as having a gigantic sign-toting box, but the chances of detection by unsavories will be minimized. At that point, just a regular (discrete) backpack with cookies will suffice, as the actual instrument holding the cookies will not need to be an advertisement for the cookies themselves. =)

VThornheart on
    edited February 2009
    Anybody know how aggressive the convention centre is likely to be?

Samyel on
    edited February 2009
    Samyel wrote: »
    Anybody know how aggressive the convention centre is likely to be?

I have *no* idea. I handed out cookies in 07 to anyone and everyone I met. I only ever saw a few convention-y looking people, but I was by no means discreet. I am unsure how aggressive it was in 2008.

SergeantAuberie on
    edited February 2009
    I never had an incident with any of them directly, but there is one particular situation where I was saved by a certain person (who shall remain anonymous) who pulled me to safety just as I was about to cross by someone who, apparently, would've been extremely willing to bust up the operation.

The normal convention security people seemed to be okay (pretty much all of them saw the box, never commented), it's the "higher ups" that, from what I'm told, must be looked out for. I guess I was like 3 footsteps away from getting within eyesight of the guy who runs the WSCTC when I was saved... I don't know if he actually would've minded or not, but from what I was told it was probably better to not test if he would or not.

Which is too bad... I think the WSCTC could drum up some really good community outreach (and possibly even advertising-quality promotion) if they embraced the cookie brigade/Child's Play goodness. =)

VThornheart on
  • chibidanichibidani Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I suppose the only problem with t-shirts is that (A) we don't get to wear other cool t-shirts, and (B) each person would realistically need 2 or 3. Another option is to get tote bags (instead of OR in addition to t-shirts). One side could have the Cookie Brigade (and possibly Child's Play) logo, the other side blank. Then its a matter of "flip the bag" if you want to be undercover. I was thinking something like this: http://www.zazzle.com/custom/bags

chibidani on
    We are now gluten, dairy and corn free gamers!
    glutenfreegamer.blogspot.com
    edited February 2009
    chibidani wrote: »
    I suppose the only problem with t-shirts is that (A) we don't get to wear other cool t-shirts, and (B) each person would realistically need 2 or 3. Another option is to get tote bags (instead of OR in addition to t-shirts). One side could have the Cookie Brigade (and possibly Child's Play) logo, the other side blank. Then its a matter of "flip the bag" if you want to be undercover. I was thinking something like this: http://www.zazzle.com/custom/bags

Oh, I like that. Anyone have the digital cookie logo that went on those awesome pins from last year?

Samyel on
  • crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    for anyone who would be willing to try, i was thinking of making cookies with some of those Botts every flavour beans (harry potter) but the ridiculously gross ones (grass, ear wax, dirt) . maybe ill just make some and hand them out as a challenge for acquiring buttons

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
    edited February 2009
    Ah, that's a snazzy plan! I really like that idea! Tote bags for the win!

Also, the jelly bean cookie idea is interesting! They could potentially be popular!

EDIT:

Oh, snap! What about APRONS?

http://www.zazzle.com/custom/aprons

Cookie Brigade Aprons would be made of win, because they're many things at once:

* Easily hideable with use of a jacket
    * Easy to remove if you're "off shift"
    * Not something that a person would normally wear, and therefore more identifiable in a crowd
    * Also because it's not something a person would normally wear, it would make us look more "official" and "organized", which could minimize the amount of "are you for REAL?" dirty looks we got last year. (Or at least, I know I got dirty looks thrown my way by people who didn't believe I was legitimate/there for a real cause that actually exists =) )
    * It actually fits with the cookie theme!

The tote bags are a good idea as well... but I think Cookie Brigade aprons would have to be for the WIN =)

VThornheart on
This discussion has been closed.