As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] Canadian Supertrip 2009 : Goin' to Seattle, eh?

• b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Surprisingly late, actually. I'll post it up though.

Does it have to be so late? That's not even in time to make it for the Pre-PAX Dinner!

b0wser on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2009
    You guys are gonna miss all the Pre-PAX activities coming in that late, with the exception of the Pub Crawl and maybe the dinner, if it's late enough.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Pre-PAX dinner is also your only chance to get Bawls. Probably.

You cant miss it.

parabola on
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    There are only 2 sailings for the Victoria Clipper, and the other is at 11am.

(i sadly don't get off work till 4:30pm, and can't get the time off.)

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • AbsintheMindedAbsintheMinded Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    b0wser wrote: »
    True. Pick your damn bus schedule so I can post it!

So I've got my vacation booked and pass purchased, now I'd love to get my bus ticket bought.... 8-)

As indecisive as we bus people all are, can we set this one in stone so b0wser can post it and I can buy my ticket? lol.

Greyhound: Sept 3 8:30am departure from Vancouver. Bus # 6501

That's the same departure time as last year, same terminal. Any objections?

Eidt: Arrival Time in Seattle is approx 12:35pm, depending on any unexpected border delays, which is not usually an issue with a bus trip.

Pricing for Greyhound round trip:
    Refundable Fair: $57.00
    Non-Refundable: $50.00
    7 Day Advance Purchase: $40.00
    14 Day Advance Purchase: $32.00

I'm pretty sure buying now qualifies for the 14 Day Advance Purchase.

AbsintheMinded on
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    oh god 8:30am? That means I'll have to catch my plane at like, 4am in Ottawa. I might have to fly in the day before then.

Asiina on
    edited February 2009
    Asiina wrote: »
    oh god 8:30am? That means I'll have to catch my plane at like, 4am in Ottawa. I might have to fly in the day before then.

Yeah its a tad early, last year we all met at the station about an hour before the trip to get our tickets and if not for Egg McMuffins and bad McDonalds coffee we may not have survived the ordeal. 8-)

Much like the previous discussion about the clipper trip, leaving in the afternoon would get us there after most of the Pre-PAX events (could be as late as between 7 - 8pm).

There is another trip in the mid-morning around 10:30, but that trip is scheduled to be about an hour longer due to taking a different route and making more stops.... It could get you into Seattle shortly after the rest of the CST arrives, however it's a hellishly long trip that time of day.

We will be doing some pre-pre-PAX events in Vancouver on Wednesday 2nd. So if you want to arrive in BC a day early there will be some festivites for you to participate in.

AbsintheMinded on
    edited February 2009
    orly? I might do that.

I'll just have to find a place to stay. I have some friends who live in Vancouver now, but who knows if they'll be there when September rolls around (they're in school).

Asiina on
    edited February 2009
    Last year we arrived in good time. So I say that time/bus is a go.

parabola on
    edited February 2009
    parabola wrote: »
    Last year we arrived in good time. So I say that time/bus is a go.

I'll have the main post updated to include the Greyhound and Clipper trip details within the next couple of hours.

edit: And by "the next couple of hours", I clearly meant "by the end of the weekend".

b0wser on
  • tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    orly? I might do that.

I'll just have to find a place to stay. I have some friends who live in Vancouver now, but who knows if they'll be there when September rolls around (they're in school).

if not, I'm sure we'd be able to find you somewhere to stay. I have a couch, at least :P

tr0tsky on
    edited February 2009
    I am a fan of couches!

Asiina on
  • ShelghastraShelghastra Registered User new member
    edited February 2009
    My husband and I are going to PAX for the first time this year. I wish I knew about the Can-s-trip sooner...we'll probably be flying just due to lack of vacation time from work, but if that changes I'll let you know. We're coming down from the Edmonton area.

Cheers.

Shelghastra on
    edited February 2009
    Should take my name off the unconfirmed list.

Since I will be taking greyhound.

parabola on
    edited February 2009
    I will also be greyhounding it up.

Do people generally take the same greyhound back or is it like the CCST and people just go back when they want?

Asiina on
    edited February 2009
    I will also be greyhounding it up.

Do people generally take the same greyhound back or is it like the CCST and people just go back when they want?

The return trip is usually up to the individual.

Some people leave right after PAX on Sunday to save on an extra night in the hotel (busses leaving between 7-10pm ariving back in Vancouver between 12-2am).

Most prefer to stay in Seattle the extra night for Post-PAX festivites and leave the following morning/afternoon. I'm currently deciding between taking the bus back at 1:25pm or 3:15pm on Monday the 7th.

AbsintheMinded on
  • de4dmeta1de4dmeta1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'll just note that, in my experience, the Amtrak bus from Vancouver to King Street Station in Seattle takes, on average, one hour less to get to Seattle than Greyhound does - it's only US stop is Seattle. Nicer bus, comparable price, and it even leaves from the same station in Vancouver. Might be worth considering.

de4dmeta1 on
    edited February 2009
    de4dmeta1 wrote: »
    I'll just note that, in my experience, the Amtrak bus from Vancouver to King Street Station in Seattle takes, on average, one hour less to get to Seattle than Greyhound does - it's only US stop is Seattle. Nicer bus, comparable price, and it even leaves from the same station in Vancouver. Might be worth considering.

This is true... however the Amtrak arrives at King Street Station which is well over a mile (25-30 min walk) from the WSCC and the host hotels. The Greyhound station is a block away.

The trip we are taking is scheduled to be direct to Seattle (the 10am run has additional stops which is why we passed on it), it may still be a tad longer trip, but its also cheaper and lands us in a far more convenient bus terminal. That convenience is really nice when dragging your luggage through Seattle, especially if any of the riders are doing BYOC or lugging vast amounts of swag back to Vancouver.

Amtrak is the ideal bus for going to Seahawk or Mariners games (station is right next to Quest Field) but thats the other side of town from PAX. For anyone trekking down on their own Amtrak is a good option if they don't mind the 30 min walk to their hotel. For a group trip however, where most of the riders will be staying at a host hotel, the location of the station in Seattle is specifically why we chose Greyhound.

AbsintheMinded on
  • CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hey DeadlySherpa, apparently we went to high school together! hi5!

I'm considering joining in on this super-trip, although the only thing is that last year we had so much fun on our own just getting lost in little towns and stuff that it would be a shame to miss out on that this time around.
    Hrmm....

Cristoval on
  • cyborg902cyborg902 Registered User new member
    edited March 2009
    I'm flying in from Toronto, but it would be fun to do a pre and post-flight meetup with other people in the same boat (or plane, as it were)

i live in london like right below you and well i honestly dont know if im even going yet but hell if im going it will most likely be by plane.

cyborg902 on
  • MariliusMarilius Registered User new member
    edited March 2009
    Hey, this'll be my first year I'll be attending PAX (since jerks wouldnt gimme time off last year) And I'll be either registering a new group from edmonton, or tacking on to one of the existing groups.

A suggestion for those driving from Edmonton, a great place for the Edmonton meeting place would be the Tim Hortons/Wendys in the South Edmonton Common. Theres a gas station RIGHT beside it, and its right on the very south end, and plus it's right beside the highway, so seems like a great place.

Marilius on
    edited March 2009
    Marilius: Fancy that you should also mention South Edmonton Common for that location. Someone else had recently messaged me about using it as the initial starting waypoint, so I think it sounds like the best overall starting location. After reviewing it with the power of satellites, it seems like a good fit. Tim Horton's it is!

Cristoval: You can get lost in all those little towns on the way home! The Canadian Supertrip is one-way, so you can make whatever return plans you like!

b0wser on
    edited March 2009
    I'll be updating the map soon to reflect that Tim Horton's at South Edmonton Commons is the starting waypoint in Edmonton. I'm thinking that since it's a long drive, meeting inside the Tim Horton's & Wendy's is a decent idea. It'll give everyone the chance to fuel themselves up before hitting the road, and it shouldn't be hard to find the other CST'ers inside the place.

b0wser on
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hey, this is the first year where there's a promising chance that I'll be able to go to PAX so I figured I would hit up the Canadian Super Trip.

I noticed in the first post there's 2 other people listed as being in Richmond, and Theros has also put himself on the attendee map as driving. I also live in Richmond so that would be cool if I could hook up with whoevers actually going from Richmond.

I promise I won't be impatient Theros. :)

There might also be one other guy that I can get to come.

Wormdundee on
  • KreenyKreeny Registered User new member
    edited March 2009
    Hey all ... PAX n00b here. Looks like I might actually make it this year, after being sorrily disappointed by my employer last year (who schedules a manufacturing stoppage during PAX anyways!). With tight schedules I think hubby and I will probably be flying.

Does anyone know the better airline to fly out from Cow-Town?

UA, Air Crappida and Alaskan Airlines all have direct flights out of Calgary. Still, it's gonna be pricy, right now it's gonna be a hair short of a GRAND to fly both of us out. [PAX better be worth it!]

[Luckily hubby works for a major hotel chain and can get us rooms for under $70 US per night in downtown ... hee hee hee ... gotta love it]

Kreeny on
    "A scientist discovers that which exists, an Engineer creates that which never was." --Theodore von Karman
    edited March 2009
    You'll want to try the Flying to PAX thread. This thread is for people who are driving, ferrying or busing from western Canada into Seattle.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited March 2009
    Wormdundee wrote: »
    I noticed in the first post there's 2 other people listed as being in Richmond, and Theros has also put himself on the attendee map as driving. I also live in Richmond so that would be cool if I could hook up with whoevers actually going from Richmond.

You could also join a bunch (10+) of us on the greyhound down to Seattle if you can't find a ride down. The more the merrier.

tr0tsky on
    edited March 2009
    Hmm, maybe I'll just decide on the bus right now. It would probably be more fun with more people.

I imagine it's a Thursday bus but is there a planned bus for on the way back? Basically, are more people going to be heading back on Sunday, or Monday.

Wormdundee on
    edited March 2009
    We don't plan a bus for the way back, most went back on Monday last year, I think. Information for the bus we're taking down there is in the first post.

tr0tsky on
  • branboombranboom Registered User new member
    edited March 2009
    This will be my third year, going to pax. First year with the convoy. I have extra room to fill

Group Leader: brandon
    Starting Waypoint: Castle Fun Park, 36165 North Parallel Road, Abbotsford
    Vehicle: 93 Jaguar XJ6
    Riders: 1
    Unconfirmed Riders: 1
    Space Available: 2 comfortably (There are actually 3 seats in the back)
    [email protected]
    [email protected] THIS EMAIL IS FOR MSN ONLY NO EMAIL WILL BE RECEIVED!!
    cell phone: TBA
    notes:
    Big trunk.
    Takes less then a tank to complete the trip 86l tank.
    Shotgun has been called by the unconfirmed .
    I dont mind sticking around sunday night if we have something to do.
    i would like to met the people that are comming along before hand, if that is not possible thats fine.
    i am also looking to share a hotel room

branboom on
  • metroid_dragonmetroid_dragon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    me and some friends are driving down and are considering joining the convoy. However we heard that the whole trip was 6+ hours last year in what should have been a little over 3. Can anyone who was on the trip last year confirm or deny the average time the convoy takes?

metroid_dragon on
    edited March 2009
    The time it takes depends on where you are leaving from. Where would you be making your departure from?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• metroid_dragonmetroid_dragon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ah yes, I suppose that would help.

That would be Vancouver, the safeway on granville.

metroid_dragon on
    edited March 2009
    Vancouver, BC to Seattle, WA (complete)
    Vancouver to Delta
    Departure Point: Safeway @ Granville St. & W. 70th Ave
    Departure Time: approx. 07:15, September 3rd
    Travel Distance/Time: ~21.9km/approx 25m
    Arrival Point: Chevron Station, junction of Hwy. 99 & Hwy 10
    Arrival Time: 07:45, September 3rd

Delta to Pacific Truck Crossing (Blaine WA)
    Departure Point: Chevron Station, junction of Hwy. 99 & Hwy 10
    Departure Time: approx. 08:15, September 3rd
    Travel Distance/Time: ~21.9km/approx 30m
    Arrival Point: Pacific Truck Crossing, 176th Ave
    Arrival Time: 08:45, September 3rd

Blaine regroup:
    -Drive south until you arrive at H St.
    -Left on H St.
    -Left on 14th St.
    -Group together at the gas station, along the far edge if possible

Blaine to Bow Hill Rest Area
    Departure Point: Gas Station, junction of Hwy. 99 & Hwy 10
    Departure Time: approx. 11:00, September 3rd
    Travel Distance/Time: ~60km/approx 40m
    Arrival Point: Bow Hill Rest Area, I5
    Arrival Time: 12:00, September 3rd
    Downtime: 30 minutes for group merging

Bow Hill to Burlington GameStop
    Departure Point: Bow Hill Rest Area, I5
    Departure Time: 12:30, September 3rd
    Travel Distance/Time: 16km/15m
    Arrival Point: GameStop @ Costco & George Hopper, Burlington
    Arrival Time: 12:45, September 3rd
    Downtime: 45 minutes maximum

Burlington GameStop to Seattle
    Departure Point: GameStop @ Costco & George Hopper, Burlington
    Departure Time: approx. 13:30, September 3rd
    Travel Distance/Time: ~110km/approx 1h45m
    Arrival Point: Washington State C&T Center, 800 Convention Pl. Seattle, WA 98101
    Arrival Time: 15:30, September 3rd

This includes stop rest times and an adequate buffer for the border crossing.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited March 2009
    The only people with a 6+ hour trip are people coming from the east! We bumped the times back last year to make an earlier border crossing. I'm not sure how long the wait was at Pacific Crossing for Theros, but we had a really short lineup going through Abbotsford -> Sumas.

The only person who mentioned 6+ hours was tr0tsky, which was really just his pro-bus propaganda.

b0wser on
    edited March 2009
    I'd like to apologize to everyone for my lack of quick updating. This has been one of the most hectic semesters I've had so far, but I'll be keeping myself far more on top of things once I'm done. I'll have one class over the summer, so I'll have a lot more time to put into the CST management.

b0wser on
    edited March 2009
    The only person who mentioned 6+ hours was tr0tsky, which was really just his pro-bus propaganda.

lol. Hey, the year before that we left my place at 11 (or earlier?) and didn't get into Seattle until after 5. I haven't mentioned 6+ hour trips since last year anyway. Sounds like everything went nicely for you guys this year.

(but the bus is still better...:twisted:)

tr0tsky on
    edited March 2009
    Ok, I've been able to confirm that I'll be going this year and tr0tsky has convinced me to make the Greyhound choice. So you can put me on that bus riders list.

EDIT: I realized I should book a hotel pretty soon as well, but I wanted to check first if anyone else on the bus right now wants to roomshare. I'm sure some of you have already booked rooms.

Wormdundee on
  • TherosTheros Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The only people with a 6+ hour trip are people coming from the east! We bumped the times back last year to make an earlier border crossing. I'm not sure how long the wait was at Pacific Crossing for Theros, but we had a really short lineup going through Abbotsford -> Sumas.

Pac highway was around 30 minutes. To get through either Pac or Peace Arch in any reasonable amount of time you should be there around 6-7am or have a NEXUS pass. <_< Any later than 9pm and you're looking at half hour to two hour waits at both crossings.

Theros on
    edited April 2009
    Hey, I think other people have mentioned this as well but I wanna make sure.

Is it ok if I book, say a double occupancy room at the Grand Hyatt and then show up with 3 or 4 people? It's a lot easier to cut down on costs if it's divided among more people.

Wormdundee on
This discussion has been closed.